Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Sally posted:

just wanna say that what i am happiest of all for is seeing a bunch of peeps who havent posted in LP in a while here in the Sandcastle. perhaps this bringing of goons together was TheDarkId's real gift to us all :unsmith:

The real Dark Id was the friends we made along the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The real Dark Id was inside our hearts all along. :buddy:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Metal Gear Solid Civilization Mod LP I did was so popular it spawned a couple imitators. The sincerest form of flattery!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Sally posted:

just wanna say that what i am happiest of all for is seeing a bunch of peeps who havent posted in LP in a while here in the Sandcastle. perhaps this bringing of goons together was TheDarkId's real gift to us all :unsmith:

Yeah, it's been nice to see a bunch of old names I recognize, even people who I'm sure have no idea who I am.

poo poo just feels good, especially with all the loving garbage from the past day or so showing how sometimes we're decent/good folks brought together by a dumpster fire.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Good times, good times.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

W.T. Fits posted:

You're thinking of The Dark Superego

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Fraud Kid

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

anyway i think the geniuses of this forum can one-up thedarkid by creating a lets player whos actually done warcrimes. the future is in your hands

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It is cool to see a lot of folks still doing okay in some form, and my only regret is if only this had happened a few months earlier, I could make a Tiny Tim reference without being horrendously out of season.

FutureFriend posted:

anyway i think the geniuses of this forum can one-up thedarkid by creating a lets player whos actually done warcrimes. the future is in your hands

We also had the probable serial-grifter, if that counts? I think most of that occurred off site though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

FutureFriend posted:

I'll get started on the Gundam game megathread

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Nothing brings the OGs out like a funeral, even if it's a lie.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

claw game handjob posted:

We also had the probable serial-grifter, if that counts? I think most of that occurred off site though.

who was the serial grifter, i been out of the loop for too long?

altho hell, speaking of lp drama, just remembered that thedarkid wasnt even the first something awful lper to fake having cancer. so really he will forever play second fiddle to ritcheyz

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Okay, just caught up on this. What the gently caress? My first big hook into SomethingAwful was a "Let's Watch" thread for Starship Troopers full of hilarious gifs, and then from there I got linked to some of TDI's Resident Evil threads and I've been here ever since.

It's exceptionally weird to see someone who seems to have figured out the whole content creator parasocial relationship thing (make people care about you personally), but then instead of doing anything productive he just used it to make a bunch of people sad. hosed up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fedule posted:

Nothing brings the OGs out like a funeral, even if it's a lie.

More like forming a line to piss on a guy's proverbial grave :haw:

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

its bc with the parasocial content creator relationship you are seeing a manufactured front of a real person without any of the flaws or real edges that make ppl fallible op. its easy for the same sort of mindset who can manage that to use it for fake emotional ends

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

FutureFriend posted:

who was the serial grifter, i been out of the loop for too long?

Sanding some details off because I cannot remember their SA username (a lot of this came out of people finding a chain of bread crumbs off-site under possibly the real name):

Person hanging around this forum does a few threads, starts trying to become a collaboration superstar. Eventually bounces in a cloud of drama, crowd funds a quick escape from an alleged bad home. A crew later goes looking for them and wonders if they make it out okay after having to cross state lines with a bag on their back.

Oh! Suddenly it seems this might be a pattern. It looks like they've done this on multiple sites repeatedly, and it's questionable if they've ever moved once, but it usually comes with a pattern of burning someone in these communities as the bad actor they're now running from. Last time anyone mentions them they seem to have moved on to skipping the web forum step and instead changed up the scam to multiple Twitter accounts, one who is the cool outgoing one who is fun to interact with and actually has people follow them, one is the always-in-trouble individual who needs just one more fundraiser and has sob stories, who the first account is always retweeting whenever a fundraiser or donation event occurs, never other times.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

W.T. Fits posted:

oh god get him out get him out

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Sanding some details off because I cannot remember their SA username (a lot of this came out of people finding a chain of bread crumbs off-site under possibly the real name):

Person hanging around this forum does a few threads, starts trying to become a collaboration superstar. Eventually bounces in a cloud of drama, crowd funds a quick escape from an alleged bad home. A crew later goes looking for them and wonders if they make it out okay after having to cross state lines with a bag on their back.

Oh! Suddenly it seems this might be a pattern. It looks like they've done this on multiple sites repeatedly, and it's questionable if they've ever moved once, but it usually comes with a pattern of burning someone in these communities as the bad actor they're now running from. Last time anyone mentions them they seem to have moved on to skipping the web forum step and instead changed up the scam to multiple Twitter accounts, one who is the cool outgoing one who is fun to interact with and actually has people follow them, one is the always-in-trouble individual who needs just one more fundraiser and has sob stories, who the first account is always retweeting whenever a fundraiser or donation event occurs, never other times.

lmfao, the lp subforums still loving got it. do hope nobody fell for it, altho hell better to have lost money on a empathy scam than having not cared for anyone in the first place

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

We also had the probable serial-

:stonk:

quote:

grifter

:sigh:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LP's probably had a serial killer poster, come on.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

well he wasnt lp, but puckins sure was a dude

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Do you think him talking about his PS2 dying in the middle of the FFX LP was also a lie?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Thanks for all the good feels. I just want everyone to have a good time! That's only ever been my only objective, and I'm glad we all could get a little of that.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
We can all only hope that our own eventual deaths will someday spread this much Content. :unsmith:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TeeQueue posted:

We can all only hope that our own eventual deaths will someday spread this much Content. :unsmith:

My death will spread a bunch of content because I'm putting in my will that my cocommentators will take up the Neptunia LPs

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Honestly after all of this I almost feel inspired to finally work on one of the LP concepts I've had on the backburner for years. My greatest fear has always been burnout because I have a long history of unfinished projects, but I can't do any worse than lying about death and illness so I can take a break. I promise I'll only come up with mundane lies, like a workplace injury at the garden gnome factory.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

LP's probably had a serial killer poster, come on.

Well if we don't, I could always get started on that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ibblebibble posted:

Well if we don't, I could always get started on that.

let's play umineko with actual let's play personalities

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
More like The Dork Idiot

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Coolguye posted:

let's play umineko with actual let's play personalities

Isn't that just Danganronpa?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Checking in on the LP subforum for the first time in a decade since I don't do SSLPs these days since finishing MMBN. Hey guys what's going on in

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooo

Speedball posted:

Thanks for all the good feels. I just want everyone to have a good time! That's only ever been my only objective, and I'm glad we all could get a little of that.

Always glad to see you around <3 sorry things were poo poo and hope things will get better from here on out!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
It figures that this news is what gets me back to the LP threads, since it was TDI who got me into the LP world in the first place.
But what the hell man.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Had no idea James Somerton did LPs.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Lets Play brought me to the SA forums, it seems to be bringing me back for the drama and popcorn. Good to see a bunch of familiar names also going "what the everloving gently caress?"

Hope your emotional healing goes well Speedball, loved your Metal Gear Civilization LP.

FutureFriend posted:

Hmm, half tempted to maybe do a modded factorio run as of late... Would be more of ecological crimes though.

Or...un-crimes considering I'd likely be interested in Nullius.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

I mean, we've already got Tommy Tallarico at home

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Cooked Auto posted:

on that topic James tweeted basically a suicide note earlier in the day

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'll admit I saw a post about him on the hobbydrama weekly scuffles thread which made me think of that

Which, I'll also admit, was probably kind of tasteless of me since I glossed over the contents.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

FutureFriend posted:

I don't think Caro's busy right now...

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

I'll admit I saw a post about him on the hobbydrama weekly scuffles thread which made me think of that

Blame me for that post. LPs are a hobby, and this is serious drama, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
LPs are a pseudo hobby at best