Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Skeezy posted:

New M3 Airs announced, https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2024/03/apple-unveils-the-new-13-and-15-inch-macbook-air-with-the-powerful-m3-chip/

Supports two displays now, still the same base 8/256 for those who care. Order today, release on Friday.

You got me excited, but then when I read the fine print?

quote:

when the laptop lid is closed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Twerk from Home posted:

You got me excited, but then when I read the fine print?

Meh, the typical complaint was that the air could obviously drive its built-in display plus 1 external monitor, so it didn't make sense that it couldn't drive 2 external monitors when the lid was closed (though I recall someone better versed in processor architecture in this thread mentioning that this may have been a hardware restriction). The goal here was probably just to fix that inconsistency.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah the complaint universally has been lack of dual external display support in an office environment and needing to step up to a Pro for that ability.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Baronash posted:

Meh, the typical complaint was that the air could obviously drive its built-in display plus 1 external monitor, so it didn't make sense that it couldn't drive 2 external monitors when the lid was closed (though I recall someone better versed in processor architecture in this thread mentioning that this may have been a hardware restriction). The goal here was probably just to fix that inconsistency.

Used to be that the built-in display was hard-wired to the PHY from the chip. They’ve apparently connected it up to a switch now so it can be used in clamshell mode with a second display.

It won’t satisfy people who want to use three externals or dual externals with the laptop display as a third, but I bet it’ll clear up 90% of the complaints about the Air / base M3 Pro.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
My late 2016 MBP is finally starting to not be able to pull its weight, so I'm gonna pick up one of the new 13" Airs when they come out this week.

When I last bought my laptop, 8GB RAM was plenty for everyday use. Is that still the case? I'm only gonna use it for everyday internet stuff, some non-hardware intensive video games, and hobby programming, so I feel like it should be, but just wanted to double check.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

Used to be that the built-in display was hard-wired to the PHY from the chip. They’ve apparently connected it up to a switch now so it can be used in clamshell mode with a second display.

It won’t satisfy people who want to use three externals or dual externals with the laptop display as a third, but I bet it’ll clear up 90% of the complaints about the Air / base M3 Pro.

However it's configured now, it apparently is/was a software limitation on the base M3 MacBook Pro and it's going to be patched in an update to allow that model to also support two external displays when the lid is shut.

https://9to5mac.com/2024/03/04/14-inch-m3-macbook-pro-multi-display-support/

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

drainpipe posted:

My late 2016 MBP is finally starting to not be able to pull its weight, so I'm gonna pick up one of the new 13" Airs when they come out this week.

When I last bought my laptop, 8GB RAM was plenty for everyday use. Is that still the case? I'm only gonna use it for everyday internet stuff, some non-hardware intensive video games, and hobby programming, so I feel like it should be, but just wanted to double check.

No. You want the 16GB of RAM and it should be criminal that Apple is shipping units with 8GB of RAM in 2024. I have an M2 Mac Mini with 8GB/256GB and it has trouble when I've got five Safari tabs open.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 4, 2024

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

drainpipe posted:

16/512 is what you should be looking for, imo.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Ok, glad I checked! I'm a bit of a minimalist in terms of keeping files, so I think 256GB HD should be fine (I still have 100GB free on my 256GB MBP). But I'll definitely upgrade to the 16GB RAM.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There is also the fact that even if 8GB is adequate to your workflow now, it is very unlikely to still be that in 2025 or 2028 or whenever. Macs have un-upgradable memory, so you should always buy as much as you can afford at the start, in order to future-proof a purchase that you are presumably going to be using for a long, long time. I can pretty much guarantee that MacOS 17.0 Barstow won't run well in 8GB.

Buying an 8GB Mac today means buying a new Mac in two years.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, go 16GB RAM at least, and if you can stretch the cost, I'd even argue to go up to at least 512 GB given I think macOS is now much more likely to swap to the SSD if memory pressure is high, but I'll let someone like Bob Howard or Binary Badger correct me on that.

e:f,b; Kibner beat me to it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://x.com/9to5mac/status/1764706234119200975?s=20

:shepface:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FMguru posted:

There is also the fact that even if 8GB is adequate to your workflow now, it is very unlikely to still be that in 2025 or 2028 or whenever. Macs have un-upgradable memory, so you should always buy as much as you can afford at the start, in order to future-proof a purchase that you are presumably going to be using for a long, long time. I can pretty much guarantee that MacOS 17.0 Barstow won't run well in 8GB.

Buying an 8GB Mac today means buying a new Mac in two years.

It was maybe just barely possible to get away with 8GB if purchasing an M1 Air at release in 2020, it's completely inexcusable in 2024. Also, when those M1 Airs start to struggle around 2027, they'll be so old that retiring them won't feel bad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

drainpipe posted:

Ok, glad I checked! I'm a bit of a minimalist in terms of keeping files, so I think 256GB HD should be fine (I still have 100GB free on my 256GB MBP). But I'll definitely upgrade to the 16GB RAM.

With a new, better computer you're going to find yourself doing more stuff and bigger stuff and spreading out more. Get the 512GB, because you're going to want the room to stretch out with the new specs.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I would like to stress that I hate ever single thing about this.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh it "blows my mind" all right

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple gave the M3 MBAs WiFi 6E. The M2 MBAs only had 6..

They are also quick to point out that 6E is '2X faster' than 6.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 4, 2024

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

That's sick as gently caress.

Edit: I was hoping it wasn't a headless Mac but it is.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 4, 2024

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I saw that early today. We now know what Sid from Toy Story is doing now.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Hmm my mind wasn't blown

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I’m actually in the market for a new laptop—my current computer is a M1 Air. I was waiting on new Airs, but it seems like a Pro would be worth the ~$500 more for the build I’m wanting (1TB/at least 16GB ram).

I should just buy a Pro, right? There’s no reason to be precious and try to save money if I’m hoping to keep the thing for 5+ years.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

maduin posted:

I’m actually in the market for a new laptop—my current computer is a M1 Air. I was waiting on new Airs, but it seems like a Pro would be worth the ~$500 more for the build I’m wanting (1TB/at least 16GB ram).

I should just buy a Pro, right? There’s no reason to be precious and try to save money if I’m hoping to keep the thing for 5+ years.

Note that the regular M3 MacBook Pro is more of a juiced up MacBook Air. The "real" MacBooks Pro start at the $1999 price with the "M3 Pro" processor. Best Buy has the 18GB/1TB 14" model at $200 off right now: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...p?skuId=6534615

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

maduin posted:

If it’s something you intend to keep for half a decade, don’t skimp and don’t pinch your pennies. You don’t have to configure a titan, but definitely think about possible edge cases you don’t want to run into and provision against them. Given that, I’d definitely get an M3 Pro, but I can’t tell you whether you need 32+ GB RAM.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Branch Nvidian posted:

I have an M2 Mac Mini with 8GB/256GB and it has trouble when I've got five Safari tabs open.

I don't believe this for a second, yeah maybe 16gb is worthwhile for ~future-proofing~ but 8 is fine for surfing the web

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

knox_harrington posted:

I don't believe this for a second, yeah maybe 16gb is worthwhile for ~future-proofing~ but 8 is fine for surfing the web

yeah op is doing something else. i do most of my basic web browsing on an m1 mini that's otherwise the same but i have to have a lot of tabs open in both chrome and safari for it to even start struggling

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
five safari tabs but they're all russian pirate streaming sites that run crypto mining scripts on your CPU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I mean, Apple is mostly right about 8gb on Apple Silicon being different from 8gb on Intel/Windows and most users aren't going to notice the difference. It's just funny that they went backwards on base memory, even the 13" M1 base model had 16gb.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I mean, Apple is mostly right about 8gb on Apple Silicon being different from 8gb on Intel/Windows and most users aren't going to notice the difference. It's just funny that they went backwards on base memory, even the 13" M1 base model had 16gb.

the m1 air absolutely shipped with 8 gigs

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Every time I think I can get away with any non-user expandable element, it always bites me in the rear end. Even on a desktop with a bunch of storage hanging it off it and the speed to have things cloud based, I’m constantly fighting a full SSD.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

mediaphage posted:

yeah op is doing something else. i do most of my basic web browsing on an m1 mini that's otherwise the same but i have to have a lot of tabs open in both chrome and safari for it to even start struggling

Legitimately don't know what it is I'm doing that is causing the problem. Correction that Discord.app is running also I guess, but I'll open the activity monitor to see why things are slowing down and it'll say my tabs for the forums, youtube, whatever are each at well over a gigabyte of memory after a while. I'm not trying to make bullshit statements, because I am experiencing something, but I'm very open to the idea that I'm doing something "wrong," or otherwise have some usage pattern I haven't noticed, that is causing it.

Apr 7, 2003

mediaphage posted:

the m1 air absolutely shipped with 8 gigs

I meant the M1 pro

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The base 13" MacBook Pro, which had the regular M1 processor, shipped with 8GB. The 14" MacBook Pro, with a base M1 Pro processor, started at 16GB though. I assume you meant the latter and just stated the wrong size.

Apr 7, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

The base 13" MacBook Pro, which had the regular M1 processor, shipped with 8GB. The 14" MacBook Pro, with a base M1 Pro processor, started at 16GB though. I assume you meant the latter and just stated the wrong size.

lol gently caress, you're right, I've got a 13" M2 16gb work laptop on my desk that I thought was a base model but it isn't.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Branch Nvidian posted:

Legitimately don't know what it is I'm doing that is causing the problem. Correction that Discord.app is running also I guess, but I'll open the activity monitor to see why things are slowing down and it'll say my tabs for the forums, youtube, whatever are each at well over a gigabyte of memory after a while. I'm not trying to make bullshit statements, because I am experiencing something, but I'm very open to the idea that I'm doing something "wrong," or otherwise have some usage pattern I haven't noticed, that is causing it.

Guessing nothing stands out in Activity Monitor in terms of CPU or memory usage otherwise?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

Guessing nothing stands out in Activity Monitor in terms of CPU or memory usage otherwise?

Other than seeing the tab for the forums being over a gig of cached data, no? Firefox seems to be much better about this, so it's possible the issue isn't 8GB of RAM, and it's Safari.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

so where’s the trouble

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I've been trying to make the system replicate the slowdown for about an hour now and I've not really been able to, other than just getting some of the tabs to build up high caches. So I've clearly been doing something else that I haven't been accounting for that's causing it to be a problem for me, so I guess just ignore my gripes about 8GB not being enough for basic web browsing usage. I do still think that swinging for 16+ GB of RAM is the smart choice though if it's within budget.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I mean, I would never recommend someone go with a 8GB machine in 2024 for their daily driver though. It's just Apple penny pinching in the worst way.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

EL BROMANCE posted:

Even on a desktop with a bunch of storage hanging it off it and the speed to have things cloud based, I’m constantly fighting a full SSD.

This is me too, I often find myself thinking about my next Mac and going ‘2Tb should be fine’ and then I remember that I spend a bunch of time ferrying stuff over to archive drives multiple times a year and just sigh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Canned Sunshine posted:

I mean, I would never recommend someone go with a 8GB machine in 2024 for their daily driver though. It's just Apple penny pinching in the worst way.

AFAICT it's Apple filling in the bottom of the MBP line to cover the 13" disappearing. The good 14" MBP still starts at $1999, same as it always was.

Why they'd do that instead of just expanding the MacBook Air is beyond me