Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
One thing I liked was Butler affecting the mouthful of gravel Skarsgaard was giving since the only thing I've really heard of Butler was that wouldn't stop doing the Elvis voice for a year+ after finishing shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

kalel posted:

on reflection I think I was too high on the movie coming out of it. the film really was lacking in feyd-rautha speedo scenes. unfortunately for that reason I'm knocking down my rating from 5/5 to 2/5 stars.

Sorry. I only look to Gregg Turkington for my reviews and this was a 5 bagger.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
An important factor about the lasgun-shield thing is that they both explode. Pulling the trigger and having a nuke go off centered on yourself is, most military strategists agree, a bad plan.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CapnAndy posted:

An important factor about the lasgun-shield thing is that they both explode. Pulling the trigger and having a nuke go off centered on yourself is, most military strategists agree, a bad plan.

Actually suicide attacks are very common, and very effective

They have even been referred to as the poor man’s atom bomb, or, memorably, the Palestinian H-Bomb

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Alan Smithee posted:

I just love how pissed she is about them eating her popcorn

She shouldn’t be, they are showing her that it isn’t poisoned.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Aurubin posted:

Yes these are all the in-universe reasons, but Dune and Dune Messiah were all THEMES vis a vis oil, the environment, imperialism, religion, etc. Just doesn't seem to be a consensus on what God-Emperor is trying to say. Or I'm stupid.

I think they're all still there. God Emperor of Dune is showing you exactly what Paul was terrified of, what he was ultimately too decent and too human to bring about. The Fremen are right to call Leto II an abomination. The BG are right to fear the pre-born. Leto II is indeed a monster. His reign is terrible. He exercises monopoly control on oilspice to spur development of alternatives while suppressing those alternatives. He achieves the Fremen ecological project and reduces their culture to a handful of Potemkin villages filled with people who are ashamed of act they're forced to perform. He crushes imperialist ambition by imposing the most terrible empire humanity will ever see. His religion is without mystery or faith, instead just rites of obeisance to an inhuman master.

The point of God Emperor of Dune is that if you still think humanity needs heroes after reading the first three books, Leto II's peace is what you're asking for. Recall that the existential threat to humanity that the Golden Path avoids is the very same superhuman power by which Leto II sees the threat: prescience.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

man, really dig the visually aspects of this movie. during the arena fight, the way feyd-rutha's face almost becomes a socks and buskin mask gave me chills

it's been a while since ive read the book, but kind of surprising how the terraforming motivation for the fremen was just removed, especially given how much that dream drove chani's attraction to paul in the novel

I don't think it's removed. They still talk about making Arrakis a paradise (and I think the Emperor's peaceful gardens are a sort of vision of that paradise). I think instead we see how it's been subsumed by the religious prophecy. We hear echoes of the secular ecological program in how Stilgar explains the reservoir to Jessica.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
A neat bit from the appendices that's completely unfilmable is the description of what happened when Liet-Kynes told the Fremen about what it'd take to terraform the planet.

Basically Liet goes "okay, so... it's possible, but it's gonna take 500 years", expecting the Fremen to despair or refuse to go along with the plan or something. And instead their response is "well, we should get started, then, this is gonna take a while".

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

flashy_mcflash posted:

Jessica is a psychic dance mom is all you need to know

quoting this from like 6 pages ago because I had this exact thought in the theater and I thought it played off perfectly

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"stage mom turns wimpy son into superhitler" is a great log line

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"stage mom turns wimpy son into superhitler" is a great log line

That's literally the plot yes

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I didn't get a chance to watch the movie last weekend so I'm gonna go during the week. It looks like I can reserve like any seat. Is there a general best place to sit for regular IMAX theaters?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Paul: I-
Stilgar: Lisan al-Gaib

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I love love love that Denis changed Chani's story so drastically, turning it into a philosophical hinge of the story that deepens and modernizes Herbert's book. The fact that Fremen is not a monolithic society, that there are fault lines (explored in Messiah, but hard to find iirc in the original book) makes it a more nuanced and adult take on that specific aspect of the lore that I think Herbert's would have been into. Great idea.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Shageletic posted:

I love love love that Denis changed Chani's story so drastically, turning it into a philosophical hinge of the story that deepens and modernizes Herbert's book. The fact that Fremen is not a monolithic society, that there are fault lines (explored in Messiah, but hard to find iirc in the original book) makes it a more nuanced and adult take on that specific aspect of the lore that I think Herbert's would have been into. Great idea.

This is 100% where I'm at. Although the first book makes it clear enough that Paul is not an unambiguous hero, the fact that the Fremen are so monolithic undermines its critique of colonialism. Showing internal conflict and tension is a big improvement, and will make it easier to show how Chani and her ilk were right all along in Messiah.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I liked orb

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/dune-2-deleted-scenes-1235842178/amp/

Denis I'm sorry man but you will never convince me going through the effort of scripting and filming elaborate scenes only to bury them entirely so they will never see the light of day as an extra or in any capacity is anything other than dumb as hell man, especially giving you're adapting mother loving Dune, dude

(I'm aware other directors do it and I selfishly don't care)

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
PSYCORPS

Nothing is worth dying for, except Palestinians for Israel
Saw it on Saturday. It was really great, but pretty much confirmed my opinion that DV is a brilliantly talented visual and emotional storyteller but has difficulty writing logically coherent narratives (which is probably why he gravitates toward mindbending stories ala Enemy and Arrival).

Biggest complaints:

1. As others have mentioned, the compressed time frame. The entire fremen revolution takes place in less than nine months. Gurney becomes some kind of grizzled spice trader in the space of what, two, three months max? Really was hoping to see Alia, as well as Paul and Chani's son. Also results in some weird editing, the most jarring instance being Chani suddenly showing up in an ornithopter for some reason when the last time we saw her she was riding South on a sandworm with Paul. Something was clearly cut out there.

2. Jessica's character assassination. Jessica is one of the most active characters in the book and also serves as a moderating, moral influence on Paul. In the first movie she has practically nothing to do and is portrayed as too emotional. In the second one she's basically a villain. Loved her costume, though.

3. Chani's ending. Someone who had not read the books would get the impression that Paul just completely ditched her for purely selfish reasons. Is that what they were going for?

Nitpicks:

-Fremen never wearing their masks and people shouting with wide open mouths in the middle of sandstorms

-Thufir and Liet getting memory-holed and no mention of Liet being Chani's mother/father/non-binary birthing person

-Too jokey; the Kwisatz Haderach would know better than to Whitesplain sandwalking to Zendaya

Lastly, am I stupid or do they completely fail to mention in either movie that the spice comes from the worms?

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Illmade posted:

Lastly, am I stupid or do they completely fail to mention in either movie that the spice comes from the worms?

You may be stupid, but you're right that they do not mention that spice comes from the worms, nor that the water of life extracted from the sandtrout is in any way related to spice. In the Villeneuve films spice is just an arbitrary essential resource that happens to be found only on Arrakis

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How does one know how long the Fremen revolution took to kick off? The show seems to leave the viewer to infer how much time has passed; I’m confused how a viewer is saying that the event took nine months to happen.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Vegetable posted:

How does one know how long the Fremen revolution took to kick off? The show seems to leave the viewer to infer how much time has passed; I’m confused how a viewer is saying that the event took nine months to happen.

Jessica was pregnant in part 1 and doesn't have baby by end of part 2

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

i'm pretty sure it takes longer than 9 months because Chani and Paul have sex and if my life is any indication that takes years and years of effort.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

YggdrasilTM posted:

...There is someone using "ideology" as pejorative? As pejorative of what?

I dunno I'm just guessing at what's behind some of the reactions

It's no biggie

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

There's a clear connection to spice hinted at by the blue water of life worm extract being blue and granting divination powers.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Interesting phenomenon

Dune 2 made $81 million over the weekend, which seems a little low for how good the word of mouth is

Seating charts for regular weekday screenings seem empty

Is it possible everyone is willing to wait to see it in imax and it’s a bottleneck?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Steve Yun posted:

Interesting phenomenon

Dune 2 made $81 million over the weekend, which seems a little low for how good the word of mouth is

Is it possible everyone is willing to wait to see it in imax and it’s a bottleneck?

My brother in CHOAM, it had a better opening weekend than Oppenheimer, what Spice weed are you ingesting?

vvvvv Edit: I had to buy my IMAX tickets for this coming Friday's show the middle of LAST week, and there was only 3 "good" seats left even that far off.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 5, 2024

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

A number of friends, including a few who worked on the vfx for it, didn't see it this weekend because they couldn't get IMAX tickets. I settled for seeing it in Ultra AVX in a fairly well attended theater, but I had no trouble getting good seats.

And no, apparently working on the vfx for Dune 2 does not entitle you to a free crew screening because the vfx company that worked on it is currently broke and going through massive layoffs due to the aftermath of the Hollywood strikes, as well as cutting all their remaining employees pay.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

There's a clear connection to spice hinted at by the blue water of life worm extract being blue and granting divination powers.
I'm fairly sure that's how it's left in the 1st book' there's a clear connection between worms and spice, but it's vague and hand-wavy. It's not until the third book that Leto II intuits the full Sandworm life cycle, which even Liet-Kynes wasn't entirely aware of.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Steve Yun posted:

Interesting phenomenon

Obviously it's in his interests to say this, but the CEO of IMAX explicitly floated it:

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/03/dune-part-two-box-office-opening-sparks-interest-in-part-three.html posted:

Denis Villeneuve’s sci-fi epic, the second in the Dune franchise, was buoyed by IMAX
ticket sales, which represented around 23% of domestic ticket sales, or $18.5 million.

“The only reason it wasn’t higher is we ran out of seats,” said Rich Gelfond, CEO of IMAX.

Gelfond noted that presales of the film were “really impressive” and that in many locations, tickets for IMAX screenings aren’t available until three weeks out.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Illmade posted:

Saw it on Saturday. It was really great, but pretty much confirmed my opinion that DV is a brilliantly talented visual and emotional storyteller but has difficulty writing logically coherent narratives (which is probably why he gravitates toward mindbending stories ala Enemy and Arrival).

Biggest complaints:

3. Chani's ending. Someone who had not read the books would get the impression that Paul just completely ditched her for purely selfish reasons. Is that what they were going for?

This particular complaint has come up several times itt and I don't understand it

DUNC1 has a scene where Paul and Jessica (and Keynes) are strategizing how they can unfuck their situation, and get revenge on the Imperium.

quote:

[Paul] Suppose I presented the Emperor with an alternative to chaos. The Emperor has no sons. And his daughters have yet to marry.

[Dr. Kynes] You’d make a play for the throne? .

Then in DUNC2 he...does exactly that. I understand that it might seem like a surprise turn if you've only seen DUNC2, but the whole point is that it's part 2 of a trilogy. And it's not a throwaway line, it's an intense exchange with Paul winning over a crucial ally to his plan by laying it out for her. It works well because it is a surprise to Chani that sets up her antagonist flip, but is already seeded for the viewer.

Also, Arrival is a perfectly logical narrative? And Enemy is imo not trying to be anything but a vibes expedition, it's more in dream-logic Lynchian territory than a strict narrative exercise

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 5, 2024

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

PSYCORPS

The confusion is not why he made the decision to marry Irulan. We know that the marriage is for political reasons. But he never makes it clear that he still considers Chani to be his real "wife" though a concubine, and that he is not casting her aside.

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

you're making that connection based on outside knowledge. spice isn't blue elsewhere in the film (except the Fremen eyes), it's that gold sparkle. and it's not at all clear that what Paul experiences when he breathes in spice is a form of prescience/ancestor-speak comparable to the water of life

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Illmade posted:

The confusion is not why he made the decision to marry Irulan. We know that the marriage is for political reasons. But he never makes it clear that he still considers Chani to be his real "wife" though a concubine, and that he is not casting her aside.

I mean a couple of minutes before the fight he gives her the whole "I'll love you until I get stabbed in the chest and killed, no matter what" speech (only seen DUNC2 once so I'm loose here but you know what I mean). Maybe a goon rewrite would have him say "Chani, here's the 411, I'm gonna marry this broad but don't worry I'll never gently caress her", but it honestly doesn't seem congruent with their characters here. Paul's mother is a concubine with high standing in the Atreides house, that's the culture in which the Great Houses operate. Chani knows this fact, and is already shown in the movies as a highly pragmatic member of a highly pragmatic society, so could be assumed that she would understand the dynamics at play in this incredibly consequential showdown/negotiation. Paul is also perhaps focused on the impending knife-fight with his dark-mirror Kwisatz Haderach that he has staked the entire future of the galaxy on.

Regardless, the sense of betrayal on Chani's party is a useful plot turn to set up Chani as an antagonist and differentiate her from Book Chani's more passive depiction. Other posters have spoken much more eloquently about this

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 5, 2024

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They left it in a weird undefined place with "I'll love you as long as I live/draw breath" because he sorta didn't do those things while processing the water of life.

And then he wasn't very smoochy after that.

Also did anybody else pick up Abomination vibes off Jessica? Yeah she says she's talking to Alia, but she might not even know what's up.

Paul is super transparent about the situation in the book, which doesn't translate well to film.

I mean, it could. But if you want people to come and see what happens next, you don't have the main guy declare "here's what happens next" to everybody and then roll credits.

moths fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 5, 2024

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

PSYCORPS

Honestly the whole royal concubine situation is really poorly explained in the movies. Leto has one line about how he should have married Jessica and that's it. If I hadn't read the books I would be like "Wait, that's not his wife? The heck?"

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Illmade posted:

Honestly the whole royal concubine situation is really poorly explained in the movies. Leto has one line about how he should have married Jessica and that's it. If I hadn't read the books I would be like "Wait, that's not his wife? The heck?"

I haven't read the books and I was not at all confused about this. e: In fact I only wiki spoiled myself to learn more about the plot / details AFTER the movie.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 5, 2024

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1764732941484073121?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

Holtzman griefing by the goon swarm guild on day 1

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I'd be interested if it wasn't an MMO or survival crafting game.

Illmade posted:

He's the mother of his son, they never married, but she's still residing by his side in royal settings. What else would she be?

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

PSYCORPS

Bugblatter posted:

I'd be interested if it wasn't an MMO or survival crafting game.

He's the mother of his son, they never married, but she's still residing by his side in royal settings. What else would she be?

His wife. You don't learn that they aren't married till 5 seconds before everyone gets murdled and the reason is never explained. And no it is not reasonable to expect audiences to intuit that the marriage customs of feudal space lords allow them to father heirs with space witches while staying unmarried to keep themselves open to future alliances through marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

Holtzman griefing by the goon swarm guild on day 1

We’ll be finding out real quick how the lasgun/shield interaction works.