Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We get it, you vape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Another stupid drug prohibition is being ushered into law before your very eyes and no one is interested in stopping it? How do you think we ended up with so many other dumb drug prohibitions?

Would anyone support an Australian politician who proposed making alcohol ‘prescription only’?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 5, 2024

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i think we should ban more drugs tbh

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Cigarettes are bad, but at least they stink, which acts as a kind of protection.

Vapes might be less bad, but they're still bad, and they don't have that stinky protection, which makes them a different kind of dangerous.

We shouldn't make toxic things nice and present them like candy to children.

We're on the way to reducing smoking with those rising age-limit things anyway.

e -

KingEup posted:

Would anyone support an Australian politician who proposed making alcohol ‘prescription only’?

If it was as widely addictive and non-fun as vaping is, then yeah probably

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

KingEup posted:

An excellent idea and I fully approve of your proposal.

It kills more people than vapes I suspect.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Cigarettes are bad, but at least they stink, which acts as a kind of protection.

Vapes might be less bad, but they're still bad, and they don't have that stinky protection, which makes them a different kind of dangerous.

We shouldn't make toxic things nice and present them like candy to children.

We're on the way to reducing smoking with those rising age-limit things anyway.

e -

If it was as widely addictive and non-fun as vaping is, then yeah probably

What does ‘widely addictive mean’? So coffee too then?

https://x.com/jamomartin/status/1764835134161793097?s=61&t=0JZcRltCkkWUPOYIuINbjQ

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Do you sleep on a pillow made of Big Vape dollars

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Wake up babe new single issue poster just dropped

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

KingEup posted:

What does ‘widely addictive mean’? So coffee too then?

Widely addictive means that it only takes a little taste for most users to become hooked.

Kind of like coffee I guess. But most people can get by with like one or two coffees a day, the "withdrawals" are a different order of magnitude, it doesn't require mining lithium etc, and it's not as bad for the health.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

So vaping has replaced a significant potion of smokers. The smoking trendline was already in decline, but the massive decrease in the last few years seems to have coincides with a massive increase in vaping.

From a harm minimisation perspective that's great, but we shouldn't stop there, we should work to remove or at least limit the risk as much as possible.

Don't get me wrong, the war in drugs is stupid and counter-productive, and I fully support the decriminalisation of all drugs. But that doesn't mean we should legalise and promote them. A ban on the importation and advertisement of vapes is sensible, tackling kids over possession is cop behaviour.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

KingEup posted:

The overwhelming amount of evidence indicates that youth vaping has accelerated the decline in youth smoking.

There is no evidence of a gateway effect:

https://x.com/jonathanfoulds/status/1737144488521343299?s=61&t=0JZcRltCkkWUPOYIuINbjQ

What the research actually shows:

vaping is smoking, hth

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Until vaping us as profitable to tax as cigarettes they will be banned.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Widely addictive means that it only takes a little taste for most users to become hooked.

Your understanding of the science is incomplete.

Nicotine is a drug of dependence. However, nicotine, when it is self administered in tobacco smoke has a different pharmacology to nicotine delivered independently of it:

I encourage you to read the entire paper: https://web.archive.org/web/20190220231122id_/http://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/2996/16bd08991b4be42421e22361df00ab3338ae.pdf

Nicotine vaping is:

“vaping is in fact much less addictive than smoking” https://www.qmul.ac.uk/media/news/2...by-smoking.html

quote:

Vaping as a Cause of Nicotine Addiction
Vaping likely addicts some young people to nicotine. However, the evidence does not suggest it is addicting very large numbers.89 Jarvis et al. concluded that “Data . . . do not provide support for claims of a new epidemic of nicotine addiction stemming from use of e-cigarettes.”90 Jackson et al. recently reported that the e-cigarette‒driven increase in nicotine product use among high-school students is not associated with an increase in population-level dependence.89 Among tobacco-naïve youths, in addition to low vaping prevalence (9.1% in the past 30 days in 2020) and frequency (2.3% vaping ≥ 20 days in the past 30 days),91 small percentages exhibited signs of nicotine dependence.90

Frequent use is much more common among current or former smoking youths than among never-smokers.90 Many former smokers were already addicted to nicotine before initiating vaping. With high-school students’ smoking declining at an increasing rate since youths began using e-cigarettes,92,93 some may vape to reduce or quit smoking.
https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/full/10.2105/AJPH.2021.306416

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

KingEup posted:

“vaping is in fact much less addictive than smoking”

Cool, just quit then

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
need something to reduce avoidance of noxious stimuli to tolerate you're posts

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Cool, just quit then

I don’t think you understand the subject matter. ‘Addiction’ is a term used to describe a relationship or involvement with something that persists despite functional impairments and harm. That is why we don’t, in a clinical setting, describe people who are caffeine dependent as ‘addicted’. They are simply dependent and may not want to quit.

They may, however, be diagnosed with a substance use disorder if their relationship with substance persisted despite serious harm, like Larry here for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI7FkBoDxx4

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Vaping is fine (smoking stinks but I wont stop you doing it) and idgaf what people want to put into their body but I do take issue with using finite resources like lithium and rare metals to make disposable vapes and just throwing them on the ground. There is some models around that even have a USB-C port for recharging yet you cant actually refill them with juice. NZ vapes seem to have got it right.

Make them olive drab packaging and tax them like cigarettes.

one of my more spergy mates has collected all the batteries out of every vape hes ever bought and made them into a small battery pack for his e-bike.

e: we should allow vaping inside so that venues without smoke machines can actually have some decent atmosphere for musicians.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Cool, just quit then

lol getting owned by Bucky is almost as embarrassing as vaping.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
how much is big vape paying you, and how can I get in on this?

as someone who had a lung transplant I think I would make a great spokesperson for Big Vape if it could pay off my mortgage

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

GoldStandardConure posted:

how much is big vape paying you, and how can I get in on this?

as someone who had a lung transplant I think I would make a great spokesperson for Big Vape if it could pay off my mortgage

My position on vapes is well informed and supported by evidence which I have posted. Your position rests entirely on the shill gambit.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

KingEup posted:

My position on vapes is well informed and supported by evidence which I have posted. Your position rests entirely on the shill gambit.

so how much? and can I have some?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

I work in a hospital. I have seen more damage caused by tobacco than you can imagine.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

KingEup posted:

Another stupid drug prohibition is being ushered into law before your very eyes and no one is interested in stopping it? How do you think we ended up with so many other dumb drug prohibitions?

I propose we ban vaping because you post bad

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

KingEup posted:

I work in a hospital. I have seen more damage caused by tobacco than you can imagine.

...is that a yes on splitting your Big Vape money or???

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

KingEup posted:

Lol I guess the bar isn’t very high for this to be true

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

KingEup posted:

When this happened to George Miller he made Mad Max but all I'm seeing are Bad Posts

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

OP lusts for a generation of 20-something year olds with the lung health of 18th century coal miners because they are also actively loving their own lungs up and needs to rationalise it somehow.

Some sick poo poo tbh

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Need something to calm the nerves after staring at screens for 16 hours a day

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

KingEup posted:

Cool, just quit then

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

When this happened to George Miller he made Mad Max but all I'm seeing are Bad Posts

King Up: Beyond Postingdome

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Eh, "I think we should just get tough on vapes and say no to vapes" is the boomer "I think we should just get tough on drugs say no to drugs" for millennials.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
look this is the no buckys thread, we're only allowed one.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Ban vapes. Bongs should be the only smoking implement allowed.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Recoome posted:

OP lusts for a generation of 20-something year olds with the lung health of 18th century coal miners because they are also actively loving their own lungs up and needs to rationalise it somehow.

Some sick poo poo tbh

the children yearn for the black lung

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I think controlling vapes is easy without resorting to prohibition.

Their parents could always just ground them.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

look this is the no buckys thread, we're only allowed one.

Maybe we need someone proposing bad unhealthy policies, to balance out the excellent healthy ones

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
the two of you should be locked in a room with half a brick and whoever is last standing gets to stay in the thread

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Meanwhile cigarette companies are resorting to the same old tricks to encourage teens to vape

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2022-12-22/vaping-e-cigarette-tricks-loopholes-industry-target-young-people/101793648

https://ecigator.com/lounge/rise-and-decline-of-juul/ - and dont think just because Juul is in trouble means Phillip Morris and BAT are not up to the necks in the same bullshit they long have done

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/oct/12/philip-morris-lobbying-to-stop-who-attack-on-vapes-and-similar-products

gently caress em.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
If nicotine patche, lozenges and gum didn’t exist there might be more of a case for vaping, but those existing things do exist and are safer than heating and inhaling a fine mist of something mixed and packaged by the lowest bidder. “VALI was all to do with one vape product ingredient” isn’t really that strong an argument. Even if we assume that most vape ingredients fall into the category of “stuff other than air and water vapour that you can safely inhale with no long-term consequences”, who knows when some manufacturer will put something noxious in there again? When it comes to stone benchtops I hope we can all agree that the lung health of 20-30-year-olds trumps commercial concerns. Why not then with vaping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Vapes loving stink. Not as bad as cigarettes, sure, but I like being able to walk out of a building without copping a noseful of ~~FRESH GUAVA ICE~~ or hubba bubba or whatever the gently caress