Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sugar Daddy Eloeri

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Yuzu/Dolphin are like Goofus and Gallant

Dolphin would have been shut down a long time ago if they were not being meticulous about all that poo poo, especially during the Wii era where you could argue they might have actually cost Nintendo some money.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Yuzu created some of the most smug posters on the internet around the release of TOTK. owned.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

DC Murderverse posted:

Yuzu/Dolphin are like Goofus and Gallant

Dolphin would have been shut down a long time ago if they were not being meticulous about all that poo poo, especially during the Wii era where you could argue they might have actually cost Nintendo some money.

My issue is the excuses and bullshit surrounding all these things. We can scream and cry about preservation all we like, but we all know that the vast majority of people use emulation for piracy so I don't take the actions of any dev or publisher personally or view it as some kind of EEEEEVIIIIIL abuse on their part. It's all part of the business. I don't like it, but I get it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

biceps crimes posted:

Yuzu created some of the most smug posters on the internet around the release of TOTK. owned.

I remember the Metroid Dread stuff and people constantly feeling the need to point out that the game ran better on emulator.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

biceps crimes posted:

jealous?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You should play Nintendo games at the intended framerate and resolution.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

was mad, now glad

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

They should have made them say 'Please retweet' like the MP who got done for libelling Jeremy Corbyn.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nintendo also don’t like used games or consoles so probably all systems and games that are discontinued/out of print must be treated as having never existed unless Nintendo decide to remake them for 49.99 yankee dollars

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

icantfindaname posted:

Nintendo also don’t like used games or consoles so probably all systems and games that are discontinued/out of print must be treated as having never existed unless Nintendo decide to remake them for 49.99 yankee dollars

*re4 merchant voice* ill buy it at a high price

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

They delayed Switch 2 to next year because of Yuzu.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I would argue that Nintendo costs Nintendo money by not making their back library available for sale.
I have no desire to pirate any Switch games. I've been curious about how games look with more powerful GPUs and more raw horsepower (such as the high res BotW).

There are a ton of games which I'm sure N could just plop out as a "retro classics" line and people would buy them all day long.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

otter posted:

I would argue that Nintendo costs Nintendo money by not making their back library available for sale.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
In the far flung future of 2040 all games will be streaming only, on smart tvs. Console generations will be defined by a controller refresh and a new tier of subscription package.

Nintendo will be the only holdout, announcing the switch 2 for 2041 release. Nintendo will save us all

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Nintendo: You'll get 4 games we decide you can emulate on our console a year and you'll loving like it!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

WHY BONER NOW posted:

In the far flung future of 2040 all games will be streaming only, on smart tvs. Console generations will be defined by a controller refresh and a new tier of subscription package.

Nintendo will be the only holdout, announcing the switch 2 for 2041 release. Nintendo will save us all

There's still gonna be personal computers even if you gotta steal them from work

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Waffle! posted:

Nintendo: You'll get 4 games we decide you can emulate on our console a year and you'll loving like it!

There are 236 Nintendo switch online +expansion pack classic games, 65 of which were released since January 2023, not counting the other ones like Tetris 99 and F-Zero 99

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Waffle! posted:

mad?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffle! posted:

I mean at the end of the day Nintendo can't just go "We'll put the entire NES library up" because they don't have the licenses or rights to most of those games. There's stuff they do have that they could put up but that list is getting increasingly small, and most of the big-name early Nintendo games are already available or in the hands of a third party who would rather sell them as a collection or whatever.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean at the end of the day Nintendo can't just go "We'll put the entire NES library up" because they don't have the licenses or rights to most of those games. There's stuff they do have that they could put up but that list is getting increasingly small, and most of the big-name early Nintendo games are already available or in the hands of a third party who would rather sell them as a collection or whatever.

I took that dude's state of swich survey earlier and ran into that when thinking about other systems that could be added to the switch vc. it'd be pretty cool to have like the ngpc up there but all the decent games are already up in two $40 collections, why would they license those to nintendo as a free bonus

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Nintendo is still holding out some of their games, though. The people demand Urban Champion!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

otter posted:

I've been curious about how games look with more powerful GPUs and more raw horsepower (such as the high res BotW).

they look great! there is a reason this stuff got so popular!

Ryujinx finally gets its moment in the sun until the inevitable Yuzu fork; I am already seeing technical discussions of loving with the yuzu source to build an installer that doesn't phone home

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I would genuinely laugh if the new version was called Uzuy and Nintendo just didn't bother with it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

otter posted:

I would genuinely laugh if the new version was called Uzuy and Nintendo just didn't bother with it.

there will be new things and they will take more effort to distance themselves from the piracy angle and explicitly not allow any such discussions on their discord. emulators remain legal and the issue of prod keys remains legally untested

if megashare / mega.nz is any indication, the actual Yuzu team will do this themselves :laugh:

my strong guess is the huge and obvious patreon revenue that Yuzu made was a thorn in the side here; the impetus to go after free things that won't settle for 2.4m is almost nonexistent

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ImpAtom posted:

That's the other thing, why would Capcom put Megaman on NSO when they can sell I think 7-8 collections of them at this point between the OG, Megaman X, Battle Network and Zero collections.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They did put the Wily Wars on nso

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

yes

at the very least, everything that was on the eshop should be available by now

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
With Yuzu dead maybe someone will make an emulator that actually tries to focus on accurate full library support and preservation instead of just making sure the big Nintendo first party games work

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I'm curious if the yuzu folks managed to profit despite the 2.4mil settlement. Was it worth it?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Fun Times! posted:

I'm curious if the yuzu folks managed to profit despite the 2.4mil settlement. Was it worth it?

even at 30k a month, assuming they had zero expenses and it was literally all profit, that would take over 6 years.

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 5, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They did put the Wily Wars on nso

There's also Double Dragon 1, 2, River City Ransom, and Super Dodge Ball, despite the Kunio Kun Technos brawler collection, or whatever it's called.

And both Contra Hard Corps and Castlevania Bloodlines are on Sega Genesis one, despite both of those games being a part of their own respective collections.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I think I wiffed on more 70% hit chances in one chapter of Unicorn than every single FE game combined

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
As I think I said when they first got sued, in general I'm pretty pro-emulators just on principle (piracy somewhat sucks as a habitual practice but I do legitimately think game preservation is important) but these Yuzu guys seemed like they were greedy chumps and they paid the greedy chump tax, system working as intended.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Waffle! posted:

and i thank them for it. wintendo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Xenoblade 3 at 60fps and 1440p on Yuzu is an extremely fuckin good time, it was also an extremely loving good time when I bought it at release and played at potato res on Switch 1 and if they make the Switch 2 able to run Xenoblade 3 at 60fps and 1440p, I will buy a Switch 2 and maybe even Xenoblade 3 and DLC again if for some reason I have to.

Yuzu was cool, RIP and F.
Ryujinx is less cool because it runs a bit poo poo but is also probably gonna die soon so RIP and f.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I just want more Game & Watch style devices with more games. The Mario one would have been perfect if it was 1, LL, 2, and 3. The LoZ one was awesome

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Lost Crown 40% off at Best Buy. Ubisoft actually exercised restraint and waited almost 7 weeks to slash the price of their new game.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I just want more Game & Watch style devices with more games. The Mario one would have been perfect if it was 1, LL, 2, and 3. The LoZ one was awesome

I would also subscribe to this. It would be easy enough to make a Kirby one, Tetris / dr Mario, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Lost Crown 40% off at Best Buy. Ubisoft actually exercised restraint and waited almost 7 weeks to slash the price of their new game.

Oh nice. I was waiting for this to go on sale, thanks for the heads up