Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

veni veni veni posted:

Stalwart seems like it would be pretty op as a primary tbh. The only current primary that is even close to as good as the Stalwart is the breaker and even then Stalwart has like, endless ammo and the breaker runs out pretty easily.

When it was a Primary in HD1, it had a much smaller magazine, starting at 75 rounds and upgradable to 150 rounds. Maximum of 8 drum magazines.

Meanwhile the HD2 Stalwart is 250 rounds with 3 magazines. So more ammo than a basic HD1 Stalwart (600 vs 750) but significantly less than the upgraded version (1200 vs 750). So they could always drop the magazine size down a bit from 250 and give a couple extra magazines. EG: five 150 round magazines. Same amount of ammo, but more reloading to make up for it being a primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

DkHelmet posted:

I'm loving baffled by how missions go sideways. Tonight I was playing with a buddy on 4, and in all three missions we hit a spot where it was patrol after patrol after patrol coming at us with no way to stop it. Ended up counting 5 chargers and a bile titan and their associated friends and family and just giving up after exhausting all of our strategems. Not dawdling or anything, not going out of our way to pick fights, but just on the way to the primary.

What the hell causes this in the game AI? I've been trying to figure it out and read online that it's not closing enough holes beforehand, closing too many, taking too long, moving too quickly, certain planets are just turbofucked, certain times of day are turbofucked, or it's just a RNG and you're turbofucked.

It's the one aspect of this game that really just makes it unfun as hell. It's impossible to handle or run away from.

Other people have chimed in on this but I'll offer my thoughts as well. Here's a couple things from what I've noticed, though some people might disagree since we don't have hard data as to how some of this stuff works.
1) Patrols literally patrol towards you from far away the moment you've been spotted. As soon as a single bug breach / dropship has been called, it might be too late, you have to deal with it very quick or the trickle has begun. If you are on an open map, you can see the groups of enemies going across the shallow water, etc, all exactly in your direction. The range on this seems to be... a large portion of the map, if you stand and fight it can take ages until you've cleared all the patrols. As far as I can tell, the reinforcements summoned by patrols can't call for more reinforcements but if there are 6 patrols steadily trickling in from across the map each one will call in reinforcements. Stationary guards on POIs and bug holes/fabricators can also move towards alerted positions and call for reinforcements so that's a little more icing on the cake. On the plus side, you can eventually deplete all these enemies and then you've got a nice, large, clear section of map with zero patrols/enemies so you can easily do the objectives afterwards, as long as you don't have a problem with my point 2...
2) Bug holes and bot factories can just spawn small and medium units forever, if you're close enough to them on the map. How close is too close? I don't know! Can the enemies from factories call in more reinforcements? I don't think so, but I can't say for sure. They will just pile on to your group forever until you close all the holes. Notably a problem on 'smash eggs' missions as the egg areas always have bug holes scattered around the sides which won't stop.

I personally haven't noticed missions getting more intense as time goes on, or any problems with not closing enough holes, or moving too quickly. I count 100% on the two things I've mentioned here, I've played difficulty 4-7 and have relied on this stuff. Obviously, some people's solution is to use distractions / airstrikes / smokes to run away from reinforcements to get some breathing space (until you get spotted and the patrols start trickling at you again). My personal feeling is 'if you are near nests/factories, you can dig in and fight it out if you've cleared them all. Ideally you charge into factories and nests and close the holes ASAP before serious fighting starts. If you're near multiple nests/factories and a breach/dropship gets called in before you get close, its time to complete the objective area as fast as possible and flee from the holes/factories and chip away at everything that follows you with stratagems.

Of course, as you've already seen, this information probably contradicts other stuff you've read, the workings of these things remain mysterious

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 5, 2024

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Azran posted:

So, how do nests work? Do they spawn patrols?

I have not heard that overall patrol spawn quantity is related to the amount of nests still active but instead that bug breaches/bot drop strength is affected by the quantity of bug holes/factories still active on the map.

I've not seen anything official, it's just one of those things a lot of people seem to agree on.

It was used to explain why one helldive bot mission we got out with spare reinforcements in a mildly contested extract and the exact same mission done on the same planet shortly afterwards we were vaporized by The Literal Robot Apocalypse losing all of our samples. The only difference was the first time we took our time clearing everything on the map with zero factories leftover and the second time people were impatient and we ran straight to the objectives and extracted with all outposts intact. The bot drops between two copies of the exact same mission were like 500% different.

Same thing has happened on bug missions. You'll play a lot of helldive "kill the egg cluster" maps back to back. There are sometimes two in an operation. One mission you'll have a mostly boring extract with people stunting on 2-3 titans as a joke and the exact same mission 12 total titans are running cover for a literal sea of bugs.

I've not tested it but it makes sense. There are some total urban legends going around though.

Rectal Death Alert fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 5, 2024

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

"The existence of high casualty missions implies the existence of low casualty missions, and we can take some solace in that."

lmao

Apes-A-Poppin
Dec 3, 2015

Only used the ballistic shield with friends who deal with the heavies, we just unlocked the 7th difficulty. Losing the shield by getting ragdolled fits the game’s vibe so well, it can even break from enough damage. I just got the personal energy shield generator and excited to test that out.

Reading the thread makes me want to unlock the grenade launcher when it’s time to face the bugs again, sounds like a good hole closing tool!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Captainicus posted:

Other people have chimed in on this but I'll offer my thoughts as well. Here's a couple things from what I've noticed, though some people might disagree since we don't have hard data as to how some of this stuff works.
1) Patrols literally patrol towards you from far away the moment you've been spotted. As soon as a single bug breach / dropship has been called, it might be too late, you have to deal with it very quick or the trickle has begun. If you are on an open map, you can see the groups of enemies going across the shallow water, etc, all exactly in your direction. The range on this seems to be... a large portion of the map, if you stand and fight it can take ages until you've cleared all the patrols. As far as I can tell, the reinforcements summoned by patrols can't call for more reinforcements but if there are 6 patrols steadily trickling in from across the map each one will call in reinforcements. Stationary guards on POIs and bug holes/fabricators can also move towards alerted positions and call for reinforcements so that's a little more icing on the cake. On the plus side, you can eventually deplete all these enemies and then you've got a nice, large, clear section of map with zero patrols/enemies so you can easily do the objectives afterwards, as long as you don't have a problem with my point 2...

so this definitely isn't 100% true or is dependent on some circumstances (in this case it might be as simple as, in the jungle the patrols have trouble coordinating or seeing distant flares)

i just finished a solo robot jungle mission earlier today where very early i blasted a patrol off the extract where they called in a single dropship before dying, i then vaporized the reinforcements (because the autocannon is fantastic) and booked it into the woods. there were no more dropships and all the nearby patrols i could see thanks to bringing UAV booster we still wandering about normally (and stationary groups garrisoning POIs were still stationary)

after ghosting the obj i was spotted by an artillery piece in the distance while crouching through the jungle which fired off a couple rounds at me and then the garrison there called in a dropship...which was nowhere near me because they didn't actually know where i was except 'vaguely over thattaway', so i didn't see another dropship until as the pelican was coming in because i was slow on killing the last wave during extract and they got a flare off

bugs seem a lot more telepathic in my experience but the bots at least seem to need to actually see or hear things

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

atelier morgan posted:

so this definitely isn't 100% true or is dependent on some circumstances (in this case it might be as simple as, in the jungle the patrols have trouble coordinating or seeing distant flares)

i just finished a solo robot jungle mission earlier today where very early i blasted a patrol off the extract where they called in a single dropship before dying, i then vaporized the reinforcements (because the autocannon is fantastic) and booked it into the woods. there were no more dropships and all the nearby patrols i could see thanks to bringing UAV booster we still wandering about normally (and stationary groups garrisoning POIs were still stationary)

after ghosting the obj i was spotted by an artillery piece in the distance while crouching through the jungle which fired off a couple rounds at me and then the garrison there called in a dropship...which was nowhere near me because they didn't actually know where i was except 'vaguely over thattaway', so i didn't see another dropship until as the pelican was coming in because i was slow on killing the last wave during extract and they got a flare off

bugs seem a lot more telepathic in my experience but the bots at least seem to need to actually see or hear things

As a rambo I've definitely seen patrols of both factions start moving toward a forever war some of my squad mates are demanding to fight. I have no idea of the mechanics behind it but I've noticed how often I get a break on a POI because at 8-9 every POI has at least 1 charger and now 10+ chargers are running from the hills to beat the poo poo out of my squad. That's probably also why people think charger spawns are so bad when it's really just every charger in a 50 mile radius booking it straight at fights.

I will agree bots do seem to act differently though as the POI defenders don't ever seem to leave and always have to be dealt with. Their patrols will move toward large battles though. I've been annoyed getting pinned between 2 and almost noticed before seeing one of them just start moving toward explosions in the distance because the squad is on their 5th tank at The Battle Of Where We Landed With No Strategic Value. I haven't seen them do long distance marathons like the bugs though.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Fishstick posted:

Ive had the Pelican come in and then just hover because a charger was just on the pad. Wouldn't budge until we finally killed that thing.

I had a level 50 guy on diff 8 see me throw an airstrike on top of 3 bugholes in a huge nest as I was in front of him, and he just keeps hoofin it towards the same bug holes and I see him dunk a grenade in one just as the airstrike comes in and closes the other 2 while reducing him to paste. This was with the slow call in modifier too so I think a lot of people are just really into inefficient martyrdom? Dude just kept sauntering into airbursts and fire patches too, by the end he had 12 deaths toward everyone else's 1 - 3.

One cool trick to never need the resupply stratagem ever

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Risky Bisquick posted:

reinforcement count is just another ammo bar if the mission ends with charges left you could have killed more, helldiver!!

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Bots are really weird, I don't understand them. I've spent a couple days mostly just trying to solo through difficulty 7 bot missions. You have your objective and they tend to have a few sets of like 4-6 small bots just standing in place. Sometimes you can creep up to them prone and literally just headshot one while you're out of LOS of the rest and the other don't even react. They don't hear poo poo from your gun. You can proceed around and clear out all of them without them even noticing. Throwing a strategem seems to always alert them, though.

Sometimes I'm creeping around a wall and it's 100% certain that nothing should have LOS on me, it's literally impossible, and a guy inside the walls will just shoot a flare up and here comes a tank on my head. Sometimes I'm prone and a patrol on the other side of a solid literal mountain just goes active and starts blasting the mountain in between us and shooting up flares. Makes no sense. I assume it's just glitchy terrain messing with LOS checks.

Sometimes one of the turret guns will see me from a distance, and start shooting at me, but literally nothing else in the base seems aware that the turret has noticed me and is firing.

I feel like there are two kinds of spawns, at least. Like the guys around an objective, once you aggro them, they don't forget about you ever, but they also don't seem to pursue you themselves. They'll call in reinforcements that do, though. The patrols and reinforcements will just follow you around, if they lose LOS they'll go to where they saw you last and keep looking. Bots don't seem to have any real kind of communication though. One group seeing you doesn't seem to mean the other get an update.

I don't think there is any sneaking out an extraction though. Seems like as soon as extraction is called patrols start spawning and pathing direction towards the pelican landing site. You can either keep up with the spawns as they come or somehow deal with a horde of robots sitting on the pad when the boat lands.

Also, some of these shrubberies are bullshit and you can watch rounds from your primary deflecting off of little leaves, lol.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Yea it’s obvious that the shrubberies have sided against freedom

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Risky Bisquick posted:

Maybe, but a bunch of people use those hilltop defense missions to hit Level 50 in like 2 days and have no idea how the game works.

I had to explain to a skull admiral who bragged about farming what eagle airstrike was. They died 10 times, shot literally every patrol and kept asking how to do every terminal. You'd think max level would have seen a radar station or artillery at least once.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Rectal Death Alert posted:

Maybe, but a bunch of people use those hilltop defense missions to hit Level 50 in like 2 days and have no idea how the game works.

I had to explain to a skull admiral who bragged about farming what eagle airstrike was. They died 10 times, shot literally every patrol and kept asking how to do every terminal. You'd think max level would have seen a radar station or artillery at least once.

Seems fairly realistic from what I've heard about members of the officer corps from people who have served

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

I usually can tell who’s an eradicate farmer because they haven’t maxed their eagle bay on the stats screen at the end of the mission.

Skull admiral checking in :v:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

priznat posted:

Seems fairly realistic from what I've heard about members of the officer corps from people who have served

Real REMF energy.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lmao what a fool

so, how do i do what he did?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

atelier morgan posted:

This is interesting, I don't have any experience solo-ing but this is good to know. I'm sure having more players contributes more even if its just 'more people = more chance someone walks into/shoots and awakens something', which probably explains the forever patrol experience

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Worf posted:

lmao what a fool

so, how do i do what he did?

You run the most boring mission in the game over and over and over and….

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Eradicate 9 bots is literally 1200exp / 5 minutes forever

On one hand its sort of dumb, but on the other you might get rad titles or reqs to buy victory poses so its worth

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

what difficulty lvl is that one on i love boring xp

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Difficulty 9 is helldive

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I do not understand grinding for xp/medals on eradicate missions. I'll happily grind super samples on blitz, but that has gameplay, requires thinking and is actually fun.

Play the game, have fun, medals and xp will come.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

TaurusTorus posted:

ppl have fun in different ways, do you need an explanation on this?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TaurusTorus posted:

I do not understand grinding for xp/medals on eradicate missions. I'll happily grind super samples on blitz, but that has gameplay, requires thinking and is actually fun.

Even if I also found doing the defense mission over and over so boring not even the appeal of faster emotes makes it feel worthwhile? (Plus, you know. No real chance for cool samples).

Try to imagine the drive to grind that particular mission, from the mindset of gamers without a safety net of reasonable people to team up with if they felt like it.

SA players are not making dozens of angry threads bragging that they will kick anyone under level 20 leaving their intended land of trivial difficulty.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Eradicates are weird because the number goes up so little between difficulties and the bot one gives you such a ridiculously defensible position.

Would be much more interesting if on 7/8/9 it was kill 500 bots on a map the size of the trivial one where there was mortars raining down on you and your eagles were blocked from AA and poo poo.

They should play more like a bad drop than a shooting gallery.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 5, 2024

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

jokes posted:

My deaths get mislabelled a lot. A charger bonks me and it says I killed myself? Which, I guess, I did by not noticing.

Yeah that aspect is really messed up, often says you killed yourself or 'explosion' or something which really isn't helpful

GlyphGryph posted:

Unless you are me, on which case it takes an hour to fail because they think youre an automaton and were never going to let you succeed.

(I eventually had a friend make a new account and give it to me to use to link to the game)

Several people ITT have talked about interminable captcha puzzles, which is kind of strange. I wonder what's behind that

Eediot Jedi posted:

"The existence of high casualty missions implies the existence of low casualty missions, and we can take some solace in that."

lmao

Can't fault the logic

Worf posted:

ppl have fun in different ways, do you need an explanation on this?

Nah the whole quitting after the short mission is lame. And being a dick overall to people, I've had some weird interactions. The vast minority, thankfully, most people are super cool

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Play posted:

Nah the whole quitting after the short mission is lame. And being a dick overall to people, I've had some weird interactions. The vast minority, thankfully, most people are super cool

neither i nor the person i responded to mentioned quitting tho. his bone to pick was the activity itself.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Section Z posted:

SA players are not making dozens of angry threads bragging that they will kick anyone under level 20 leaving their intended land of trivial difficulty.

The best part here was that I ran into some sub-20's in a quick match tonight who were trying to do difficulty 7, and just having the worst time with all the armored enemies. I ended up running a pretty meta loadout with recon armor (light, with the pings give detection ability) and UAV recon, and did a mix of helping them kill armored enemies and leaving them to deathmatch in the forever war while I scooped samples and ticked off objectives as they attracted the attention of every bug on the map. Then after I finished my Metal Gear missions, I'd rejoin them, help them disengage from whatever nonsense they'd gotten into, and get them evacuated. Which was a shitshow every time but also was some of the legit most exciting extractions I've played in the game yet.

You haven't lived until you've watched two Aussies huffing and puffing into the transport, surrounded by bugs, with a cluster bomb going off and killing everything the moment you take off. It was very :3: to listen to them hoot and cheer after that. They had such a good time.

:clint: "I had a wonderful time down south, leisurely grabbing samples and ticking off objectives while you guys made a bunch of noise up north."
:staredog: "We had very different experiences."

Probably my best Helldivers experience yet. People who kick sub-20s are garbage and frankly are missing out on some fun games.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Warmachine posted:

:clint: "I had a wonderful time down south, leisurely grabbing samples and ticking off objectives while you guys made a bunch of noise up north."
:staredog: "We had very different experiences."

Probably my best Helldivers experience yet. People who kick sub-20s are garbage and frankly are missing out on some fun games.
Yeah, even my dumb casual rear end has helped some people unlock impossible. Where instead of angry kicks from mutual idiocy ("Look, it seemed safe when I landed on top of this egg nest so it felt like a great idea calling you here to... down I go OH CHRIST") it is lamenting another random diver lost to obvious connection issues during the 3rd mission.

I am developing a real problem(?) in setting the autocannon to automatic in reaction to more than one spitter bug on screen. Because I am not built for solo solid snake, but my urge to be a violent guardian angel for internet strangers seems to be working out mostly. "Don't worry, I made sure the chargers are following me while you respawn-I forgot to reload why have I done this to myself."

Closest I get to smooth operation against bugs is people lamenting being out of grenades in the middle of a nest, oh boy time to justify my love of engineer suits! Yes I know I can shoot them with an autocannon, no I never remember I can do that at the time.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 5, 2024

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Infidelicious posted:

Eradicates are weird because the number goes up so little between difficulties and the bot one gives you such a ridiculously defensible position.

Would be much more interesting if on 7/8/9 it was kill 500 bots on a map the size of the trivial one where there was mortars raining down on you and your eagles were blocked from AA and poo poo.

Make players spawn at the bottom of the hill and have them earn the fortress IMO

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Infidelicious posted:

First time I ever played this map and mission the host dropped us at the edge of the map outside the fortress and we had all the bots dropping either side of us and up top so we could never get out of our hole and into a defensible position.
Definitely made it a lot more interesting. Was the hardest I've had to fight and I left half of them to book it to the pelican as it was landing up top.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
if you trigger a bug burst or a bot drop then run away (esp at higher difficulties) because unless you can wipe them out quickly patrols will run into your massive fight and call more bursts/drops

remember: theres no reward for killing anything except objectives

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I like shooting n killing

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Split the difference, run to the next objective while killing everything behind you.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
obviously you need to shoot them to run away or they will chase you, especially chargers

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Spookydonut posted:

obviously you need to shoot them to run away or they will chase you, especially chargers

juking chargers on environment poo poo and breaking los leaves them miles behind

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Saraiguma posted:

juking chargers on environment poo poo and breaking los leaves them miles behind

Is that what The Founding Fathers intended?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Saraiguma posted:

i'm telling my democracy officer on you

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Spookydonut posted:

i'm telling my democracy officer on you

look if they wanted us to kill random bugs we'd get points for it, holes, goals, and samples is all I'm after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I may be wrong here but chucking an eagle and blowing up enemies trailing me has pretty reliably allowed my to shake aggression off so long as i immediately leave. I think enemies are attracted to the actual source of the sound so strikes can act as a distraction as well