Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Most people are drug abusers. Coffee and alcohol are socially acceptable uppers and downers that most people use every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Morrow posted:

Most people are drug abusers. Coffee and alcohol are socially acceptable uppers and downers that most people use every day.

Makes u think

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
There is no other pill to take...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Morrow posted:

what about lefters and righters

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
When I get high, I get high on speed. Top fuel funny car's a drug for me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
is trump too poor to pay black people to take pictures with him or is he just trying to avoid being physically next to black people

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Most people do not drink alcohol every day

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Morrow posted:

Shut up, dweeb

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
We need more daily drinkers - alcohol makes people richer and better-educated.

quote:

The drinking rate among U.S. adults differs more by household income than by any other standard demographic characteristic. According to the 2021-2022 data, 80% of adults aged 18 and older living in households earning $100,000 or more say they drink, far exceeding the 49% of those earning less than $40,000. The rate among middle-income earners falls about halfway between, at 63%.

Relatedly, drinking also differs by education, with college graduates (76%) and postgraduates (75%) the most likely to report they drink. This is followed by nearly two-thirds of those with some college education (65%) and about half of those who haven’t attended college (51%)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Papercut posted:

Most people do not drink alcohol every day

Here’s a fun statistical trick using non-normal (statistically speaking) data.

American adults drink on average about 9.7 drinks a week, or over one a day.

60% of Americans drink less than one drink a week.

That’s because the top 10%, that’s about 24M people, drink 74 drinks a week or a little over 10 a day. Every day.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Civilized Fishbot posted:

We need more daily drinkers - alcohol makes people richer and better-educated.

I know you’re being facetious, but it’s worth pointing out for those who may be confused to consider which way the causation flows here.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

Of course it is, but MPF said "Biden is the most progressive president in our parents' lifetimes," and I'm pretty sure MPF is around my age. I'm also pretty sure most (not all) of us have parents who were born before 1969.

LBJ wouldn’t have withdrawn from Afghanistan.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Here’s a fun statistical trick using non-normal (statistically speaking) data.

American adults drink on average about 9.7 drinks a week, or over one a day.

60% of Americans drink less than one drink a week.

That’s because the top 10%, that’s about 24M people, drink 74 drinks a week or a little over 10 a day. Every day.

Can confirm. At my worst I'd get an 18 pack of rolling Rock and it'd last me a day and a half. I'm down to zero a week now thankfully.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nervous posted:

Can confirm. At my worst I'd get an 18 pack of rolling Rock and it'd last me a day and a half. I'm down to zero a week now thankfully.

Grats. I peaked at a couple liters of liquor a week. Quitting sucked. Then the pandemic hit and I had to raw dog reality lol.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Boris Galerkin posted:

is trump too poor to pay black people to take pictures with him or is he just trying to avoid being physically next to black people

If you’re a political operative trying to sell Trump’s appeal to black people, you’re already an unscrupulous professional liar, so why bother with the money and time involved in setting up a photo shoot featuring real paid extras and a very busy and self-centered man when you can get something good enough out of DALL-E in 15 minutes

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Boris Galerkin posted:

is trump too poor

not yet, but soon :getin:

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's rumored that he needs black people evacuated from his hotels whenever he arrives.

Also, the whole Central Park Five thing

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Orange is the New Black, eh?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

haveblue posted:

If you’re a political operative trying to sell Trump’s appeal to black people, you’re already an unscrupulous professional liar, so why bother with the money and time involved in setting up a photo shoot featuring real paid extras and a very busy and self-centered man when you can get something good enough out of DALL-E in 15 minutes

Plus, are you even actually trying to sell Trump's appeal to black people, or just trying to sell the idea that you're trying to sell Trump's appeal to black people to whoever's writing your paycheck?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Okuteru posted:

Also, the whole Central Park Five thing

Yeah it really can't be restated enough that Donald Trump took out a full-page newspaper ad calling for the Central Park Five to be executed.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah it really can't be restated enough that Donald Trump took out a full-page newspaper ad calling for the Central Park Five to be executed.

Not only that, after they were exonerated he railed against the settlement they received and insisted they still must be guilty, despite another guy confessing to the crime and I believe being linked to it by DNA.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Off topic, but are there any repercussions when a political campaign uses music, and the musician or rights holder disapproves? If Trump were to use a Dead Kennedys song (as an extreme example) during a rally, would DK have any recourse beyond a C&D and a public statement calling him an rear end in a top hat?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BRJurgis posted:

There is no other pill to take...

So swallow the one that makes you ill:hmmyes:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Grats. I peaked at a couple liters of liquor a week. Quitting sucked. Then the pandemic hit and I had to raw dog reality lol.

I was drinking a handle of Tito’s every four or five days in grad school.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm quite sure he has never thought about it and has no idea these pictures even exist.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E: nvm. Not relevant2thread

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

https://x.com/atrupar/status/1761485064972496948?s=20

I can't tell if he's trying to crack a joke or not. It's at least a little bit funny if so, but probably not.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bubbacub posted:

https://x.com/atrupar/status/1761485064972496948?s=20

I can't tell if he's trying to crack a joke or not. It's at least a little bit funny if so, but probably not.

He has never been intentionally funny, and never not been unintentionally funny.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Shooting Blanks posted:

Off topic, but are there any repercussions when a political campaign uses music, and the musician or rights holder disapproves? If Trump were to use a Dead Kennedys song (as an extreme example) during a rally, would DK have any recourse beyond a C&D and a public statement calling him an rear end in a top hat?

The current Dead Kennedys, who called Jello Biafra a terrorist for not supporting the Iraq war?

Probably need a better example.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Zwabu posted:

Orange is the New Black, eh?

:drat:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

After The War posted:

The current Dead Kennedys, who called Jello Biafra a terrorist for not supporting the Iraq war?

poo poo really? i am not a music buff but i like a bunch of their songs, i did not know about that.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Shooting Blanks posted:

IIRC this has come up a bunch with Trump rally music and basically amounted to absolutely nothing. Born in the USA and Fortunate Son are the examples that comes to mind but I know there’ve been others

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Trump playing Fortunate Son at a rally is a level of irony poisoning I may not survive.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Even though music copyright seems to be literally the most unbreakable thing in the universe everywhere else, I do think there's still pretty much nothing stopping you from playing any recorded music you want at an in-person event.

But if you record that and try to show it anywhere, they will find you, and they will kill you.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

PharmerBoy posted:

Trump playing Fortunate Son at a rally is a level of irony poisoning I may not survive.

I mean, he ain't no senator's son...

quote:

But when the taxman come to the door
Lord, the house lookin' like a rummage sale, yeah

Feeling like this lyric has become kinda true as well with the court judgements piling on :laugh:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

After The War posted:

Goddamn, this is news to me.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Nervous posted:

I mean, he ain't no senator's son...

Feeling like this lyric has become kinda true as well with the court judgements piling on :laugh:

But he is a millionaire's son, son. Don't know if his kids will be able to say that though.

As far as the music copyright thing, it's outside my wheelhouse but I think you'd have to prove some financial damages in order to make him pay something.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Sir Lemming posted:

Even though music copyright seems to be literally the most unbreakable thing in the universe everywhere else, I do think there's still pretty much nothing stopping you from playing any recorded music you want at an in-person event.

You need to pay the license fees for that. Also, the license can be withdrawn. Eminem had a cease and desist letter sent to Vivek Ramaswamy to stop him using his music at this rallies.

quote:

Like any other group hosting large public gatherings, political campaigns pay ASCAP and BMI for blanket licenses to publicly perform copyrighted music — meaning candidates have automatic access to songs without ever directly contacting the musicians themselves. But, owing to repeated backlash, both ASCAP and BMI now offer special licenses for political entities, which allow artists to exclude individual songs from a particular campaign’s blanket deal.

Of course, there's also the fact that many artists don't actually own the rights to their recordings.

EDIT: This second page also shows what can be done even if the song is licensed: https://www.ascap.com/~/media/files/pdf/advocacy-legislation/political_campaign.pdf.

rkd_ fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 5, 2024

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I feel like every election season its a perennial click bait/slow news day filler article when some artist protests the use of their music at a campaign rally. That every four years I see some other artist complaining about republicans playing their music at rallies suggests to me there is nothing they can do to stop it. Trump has been blasting Elton John's catalogue since 16 at his rallies AFAIK and I'm sure hes complained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I am just gonna post my broad thoughts on the various election stuff and then ill be done for a while about it.

I think this week, and maybe the next depending on how things time out, could be a significant inflection point for Biden's chances getting better.

Once Congress passes the minibuses and the Israel/Ukraine aid and border bill (which I'm more bullish on now that Brian Fitzpatrick, a Republican, has started the discharge petition process), Biden won't need anything from them until October and can go into full campaign mode without fear of necessary governing work being sidelined.

I expect the State of the Union address to be something of a soft launch for his campaign - lay out his priorities, contrast himself to his opponents, highlight what's already been done. His administration just rolled out a new rule on late fees for credit card payments, capping them at $8, which is said to be highlighted there. The executive branch needs to keep rolling out aggressive policies, even despite the risk that some will almost certainly be swatted down by the Supreme Court.

The fact that Super Tuesday will be behind him helps as well, as long as he keeps racking up the typical 80-90% vote share to be expected from incumbents. While Dean Phillips hasn't gained any traction whatsoever, if he does drop out after tonight like he indicated he would several months ago, it'll still be a story and a point in Biden's column.

I'm hoping that once Biden is in the clear of getting legislation passed, he'll start rolling out bigger executive orders, namely an alternative student debt relief plan and rescheduling marijuana. Much like the run-up to getting the ARP passed, I think Biden's team is keeping their powder dry on these until they're done negotiating with Republicans, in case they decide to use them as a pretense to blow up negotiations. This might also just be wishful thinking on my part and wanting to give Biden the benefit of the doubt, but he needs to start being more assertive with Israel as well. I'm not a fan of the Israel aid being passed, or the humanitarian aid being stripped out both for Gaza and Ukraine, but it seems very much like a necessary evil to get Ukraine aid passed at this point.

Flip side to all this - I wouldn't be surprised at all if Trump continues to underperform in tonight's primaries. Haley might even win a state or two (Vermont and Virginia have both polled very close), and that would definitely contribute to perceptions of Trump's weakness and inability to hold the party together, ironically the attributes the media is putting on Biden. Trump's legal troubles are also just going to keep on mounting, and even if all he's convicted for is the New York hush money case, I'm not convinced the average person would make much of a distinction between whether he was convicted federally or at the state level. Either way I think it'll be enough to permanently lower his ceiling in polls, which is already not insurmountable.

A possible extra wrinkle would be if Johnson gets ousted over dissatisfaction with the passage of Ukraine aid and a largely uncontroversial budget. I'm not necessarily willing to put money on this happening, but it certainly is possible and would continue to make Congressional Republicans look embarrassingly unserious, allowing Biden to draw yet another contrast between himself and the Republicans.

not trying to start poo poo again. just wanted to poo poo out my opinion while stuff was chill.

anyway in better news.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1765095262702219343
sinema isnt running again.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 5, 2024