Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

FlapYoJacks posted:

That’s an awful price for those specs. :psyduck:

looking at the site the eSprinter is currently only available in the larger 170" wheelbase, but has a lower payload than the diesel 144" wheelbase, which leads me to believe they're probably aiming for bulky lightweight cargo like package delivery. Package delivery already has baked-in downtime at a central location for loading, so charging potentially wouldnt reduce productivity at all if it doesn't limit route length and the charge it can be done while loading. might even mean less downtime if going to a third location to fuel is time consuming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Extremely cool post thank you!

I worked with a guy who was an EMS part time and he said something about how they switched from GM to Ford or vice versa (I forget), and after that they couldn’t go over concrete medians anymore because the transfer casing was too low and would smash to pieces if they bounced the wrong way :haw:

Most of the ambulances here are the boxy ones although I think there are some sprinter vans too, they look very European!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Cactus Ghost posted:

looking at the site the eSprinter is currently only available in the larger 170" wheelbase, but has a lower payload than the diesel 144" wheelbase, which leads me to believe they're probably aiming for bulky lightweight cargo like package delivery. Package delivery already has baked-in downtime at a central location for loading, so charging potentially wouldnt reduce productivity at all if it doesn't limit route length and the charge it can be done while loading. might even mean less downtime if going to a third location to fuel is time consuming

Amazon seems to have gone all in on it, I live near a distro center, and we get pretty much 100% Rivian vans. USPS is supposed to be buying some Canoo vans to try out soon too. Local sub/urban delivery seems like a great fit for EVs, since it's mostly low-speed trundling around, and anything that lowers particulate and NOx emissions in urban cores is great.

Kinda a bummer that J1772 doesn't support 3Ø AC charging, since big warehouses and distribution centers all have it, and 22kW charging would guarantee even really big batteries get charged overnight. I know you can do 22kW with split phase, but it's more of a pain from an installation and load balancing standpoint.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
type 2 can do 3 phase can't type 1 do it?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Amazon seems to have gone all in on it, I live near a distro center, and we get pretty much 100% Rivian vans. USPS is supposed to be buying some Canoo vans to try out soon too. Local sub/urban delivery seems like a great fit for EVs, since it's mostly low-speed trundling around, and anything that lowers particulate and NOx emissions in urban cores is great.

Kinda a bummer that J1772 doesn't support 3Ø AC charging, since big warehouses and distribution centers all have it, and 22kW charging would guarantee even really big batteries get charged overnight. I know you can do 22kW with split phase, but it's more of a pain from an installation and load balancing standpoint.

J3400 evidently supports 277v. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYiq3pen9TQ&t=533s

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Celexi posted:

type 2 can do 3 phase can't type 1 do it?

Nope, only has two power pins, and I'd imagine the inverter's not set up for it either.

That's cool! A lot of commercial lighting is 277V, so that could be a good way to get chargers in lots without adding a ton of extra wiring for 240/208.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
@Edward IV from what I remember during my stint in healthcare, nobody uses box ambulances in europe since they are too wide to fit the average city road, it's always a sprinter or ducato conversion even if the cargo area is minimal due to sizing constraints.

The esprinter (but also the educato) max speed would also makes the average ambulance driver laugh, i've witnessed ambulance drivers going at max speed (150kmh+) in tight urban roads and barely making the cut at destination ER, removing that 30kmh+ emergency speed buffer isn't good.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 3, 2024

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Saukkis posted:

I think you need to ask yourself if the generator was worth the expense in the first place. How costly would the damages have been if the house was without power for half a day? I think the same will apply for the battery, it won't be worth it unless the solar panels can pay it off.

I have often wondered if an inverter could be cheaper alternative with less hassle and maintenance, the car engine will be maintained anyway and is more likely to be in working condition. A guy in my flying club built himself a plane maintenance van and installed a 6kW inverter on it and it has been useful in numerous occasions.

Off the top of my head, I would say it was not really worth it. It wasn't my decision in the first place, we live in a place that occasionally gets extreme winters and it was so even if we lost power we could still run the (gas) heat and keep the pipes from freezing. I've seen what happens after an extended loss of heat in a house causing the plumbing to rupture, which was like $30k in damage to an empty house and that was 20 years ago. That being said, we live near the center of a town with a 11k population, the power may go out for short bursts but never for an extended period. There is a power utility dispatch yard right in town, about the only thing that would bring down the power for an extended period here is a swarm of tornadoes in the area, and one generally shouldn't have to worry about the pipes freezing during the seasons where that could happen (Although we just recently had the first February tornado in recorded history in our state, which was also a significant hail storm that left a few small dents on the hood of my model 3). If we lived way out in the country it would be more worth it, I know after some winter storms these last few years there were rural areas without power for multiple consecutive days.

The one time there was a fire at the substation that took out power to the whole town one evening for about 80 minutes it was pretty fun to be the only building within a good mile with the lights still on.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

ROFLBOT posted:

Are we in some remote shithole in a 3rd-world country? No, we’re a suburb of Perth, Australia, a city of 2m people….

Hate to be the one to break it to you...

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

SlowBloke posted:

@Edward IV from what I remember during my stint in healthcare, nobody uses box ambulances in europe since they are too wide to fit the average city road, it's always a sprinter or ducato conversion even if the cargo area is minimal due to sizing constraints.

The esprinter (but also the educato) max speed would also makes the average ambulance driver laugh, i've witnessed ambulance drivers going at max speed (150kmh+) in tight urban roads and barely making the cut at destination ER, removing that 30kmh+ emergency speed buffer isn't good.

yeah urban europe is a whole different situation. i remember seeing an ambulance built out of a focus wagon :wtc:

part of it is that in france and a lot of continental europe, the model for ems is fundamentally different. their emergency response ambulances have doctors and a bunch of supplies with much less of an emphasis on transport and more of an emphasis on delivering definitive care on scene. idk if that means more or less need for power but it definitely means less need for interior volume

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cactus Ghost posted:

part of it is that in france and a lot of continental europe, the model for ems is fundamentally different. their emergency response ambulances have doctors and a bunch of supplies with much less of an emphasis on transport and more of an emphasis on delivering definitive care on scene. idk if that means more or less need for power but it definitely means less need for interior volume

At least in my neck of the woods it's not uncommon to have two car teams being dispatched in critical situations. One ambulance van and one staff car, with the staff car with ers onboard going at warp speed to get there in time and stabilize for transport while the ambulance is slightly behind to load and carry back to hospital. Ambulance teams usually are made of three staffers, one pilot and two medics, with the cargo area designed for one patient and one medic.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Cactus Ghost posted:

yeah urban europe is a whole different situation. i remember seeing an ambulance built out of a focus wagon :wtc:

Yeah that's how a friend described how EMS is done in Switzerland at least where he described the medic in the ambulance is there to "play doctor."

As for power, the chassis we use tend to be stock engine-wise besides dual alternators and batteries and higher idle settings. Otherwise, its a stock 6.7L Powerstroke diesel V8 or a 7.3L gas V8 for the Ford F-series or a 6.7L Cummins in the Ram with enhanced transmission cooling. I think the biggest power draw (electrical or mechanical) for our ambulances at least is probably the HVAC system which the upgraded options can have a cooling capacity of 38k BTUs. We also offer HVAC options that can run off of AC shore power that can be configured to work in conjunction with an optional standby generator.

With a relatively smaller interior volume, European ambulances probably don't need nearly as much power to keep the interior heated or cooled.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Edward IV posted:

I think the biggest power draw (electrical or mechanical) for our ambulances at least is probably the HVAC system which the upgraded options can have a cooling capacity of 38k BTUs. We also offer HVAC options that can run off of AC shore power that can be configured to work in conjunction with an optional standby generator.

With a relatively smaller interior volume, European ambulances probably don't need nearly as much power to keep the interior heated or cooled.

That seems crazy enormous for an HVAC plant to cool the inside of the box, 38kbtu is about 3 tons, my entire house is heated and cooled by a 5 ton heatpimp.

With such high HVAC draw, is there any consideration going to insulate the box? Or is it just easier to throw a layer of felt on there to prevent condensation and let an oversized HVAC unit handle it?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I would think that part of the high capacity for the hvac is for life saving temperature management, especially when you've had the big door at the back open to get a patient with heat stroke or hypothermia inside the ambulance quickly while there is a temperature extreme outside.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

being able to turn over a huge volume of air without making the inside temp match the outside temp also comes with the bonus of reducing risk of droplet and airborne transmission as well. transporting a patient with active TB you put n95s on everyone including the patient and run the exhaust fan at max. being able to do that without being able to make the incoming air habitable is barely better than not being able to do it at all

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Never really had a frame of reference on the relevance of HVAC capacity ratings and why we chose them but that all makes sense. We actually used to have HVAC options that could push 50k BTUs but the company that made them got wiped out by Hurricane Ian and we haven't gotten around designing a new system using units from a new vendor.

We do insulate the body but I'm not sure how much more we can do insulate it more without going with more exotic insulation. While I don't know if we've ever tested it, I'm certain that the level of insulation that we install is sufficient enough for most of continental USA. And it's not like the V8s or Cummins diesel are struggling to run such a high capacity system. If anything we had more trouble designing a system and plumbing that wouldn't get bogged down in the heat and humidity of Florida.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

well during my 30 day probe i finally acquired a new 2LT Bolt from a dealer in pdx, had to stay overnight because they dont loving charge cars (wtf) before they put them up for sale

great car, love it, no ragrets

Also apparently the 2025 Ioniq 5 will finally have a rear wiper

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Edward IV posted:

Of those available to my knowledge, the F-150 Lightning only tangentially covers our needs provided that it can be built as a single-cab F-350 at a minimum.
The Lightning shares almost nothing outside of the cab with the Super Duty line. Presumably eventually there will be an electrified F-350 (probably as a hybrid) but it's unlikely to share much with the Lightning from a chassis standpoint.

Elviscat posted:

Don't forget noise. Amazon, Fedex, and UPS drivers with the traditional step vans in my neighborhood seem to treat their throttles as binary, I can hear them coming around the corner and then a minute later they're roaring away. Sprinters and Transits aren't usually as bad but they're still pretty easy to hear because they're being driven hard. The Amazon Rivian vans on the other hand if I don't hear the door then I don't know they're there.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Do those vans have the hissing/white-noise backup alarm?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

The Lightning shares almost nothing outside of the cab with the Super Duty line. Presumably eventually there will be an electrified F-350 (probably as a hybrid) but it's unlikely to share much with the Lightning from a chassis standpoint.

Don't forget noise. Amazon, Fedex, and UPS drivers with the traditional step vans in my neighborhood seem to treat their throttles as binary, I can hear them coming around the corner and then a minute later they're roaring away. Sprinters and Transits aren't usually as bad but they're still pretty easy to hear because they're being driven hard. The Amazon Rivian vans on the other hand if I don't hear the door then I don't know they're there.

What's it going to take to get an electric Bronco?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Failson posted:

there's no way that isn't coming. if there's one thing america loves its driving off-road capable vehicles on the highway

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It does seem *odd* to me that Ford hasn't announced anything else upcoming except for a 3-row SUV.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Failson posted:

Whenever they want to juice sales

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Chronojam posted:

Making sales is kinda what a corporation does

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Speleothing posted:

It does seem *odd* to me that Ford hasn't announced anything else upcoming except for a 3-row SUV.

They’re developing a new battery platform at the moment. They also got burned by losing a poo poo load of money on Mach-E and Lightning sales.

They’re not alone, GM postponed their Silverado EV.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Failson posted:

Never happening

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Speleothing posted:

Cactus Ghost posted:

there's no way that isn't coming. if there's one thing america loves its driving off-road capable vehicles on the highway

Chronojam posted:

lol Ford's CEO recently said that they were pausing all future EV roll-outs and limiting the range to the MachE and Lightning until revenue for those models improved and their next-gen platform was ready

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Beatings will continue until revenue improves

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Why does every single Ioniq 6 on lots in this area have the range-killing 20" tires. I know I still have 4 months left on the lease for this damned Nexo but gdi I want a proper road tripping car ready for me when it's over

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Nitrox posted:

Making sales is kinda what a corporation does

Chevy cancelled their best selling EV, which was the best selling EV overall behind Tesla. Sometimes corporations do stupid things.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Chronojam posted:

Chevy cancelled their best selling EV, which was the best selling EV overall behind Tesla. Sometimes corporations do stupid things.

they were losing money on every Bolt

the Bolt ended up being a really good deal for consumers

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

trilobite terror posted:

they were losing money on every Bolt

the Bolt ended up being a really good deal for consumers

You know, I haven't ever seen even ballpark figures substantiating that they lost money, or even offhand claims by WSJ or something.

On the other hand, GM said the vast majority of Bolt buyers weren't existing Chevy owners, something like 3/4 of those sales could've gone to the competition otherwise. Surely they'd gladly pay [$rumoredLoss] to make sure you don't buy another Honda this cycle.

Plus that's not even getting into compliance/regulatory/tax benefits.

But really I was just trying to find a way to fit "Juice" and "Bronco" into the same sentence without making it too on the nose :v:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Starting in 2026, European crash tester Euro NCAP will deduct points for cars that don't have physical controls for certain functions:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03/carmakers-must-bring-back-buttons-to-get-good-safety-scores-in-europe/ posted:

"The overuse of touchscreens is an industry-wide problem, with almost every vehicle-maker moving key controls onto central touchscreens, obliging drivers to take their eyes off the road and raising the risk of distraction crashes," said Matthew Avery, Euro NCAP's director of strategic development.

"New Euro NCAP tests due in 2026 will encourage manufacturers to use separate, physical controls for basic functions in an intuitive manner, limiting eyes-off-road time and therefore promoting safer driving," he said.

Now, Euro NCAP is not insisting on everything being its own button or switch. But the organization wants to see physical controls for turn signals, hazard lights, windshield wipers, the horn, and any SOS features like the European Union's eCall feature.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

TheFluff posted:

Starting in 2026, European crash tester Euro NCAP will deduct points for cars that don't have physical controls for certain functions:

Good, but the question is do Tesla's stupid steering wheel turn signal buttons count?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I was looking at a Tesla and seriously considering their newer Model 3, basic model which they've priced just under the £40k 'luxury car' additional tax threshold here. Then I saw that the thing has no steering wheel stalks. Nope.

Anyways I'm looking at probably a 2021-make Model 3, the all-wheel drive models for the extra range. Looks like I could potentially get something with 35k miles on the clock. Any idea how much the range will have dropped from the sticker range by that point?
Also, should I be looking elsewhere than Tesla's in-house 'certified' pre-owned online store? I have no idea whether the fact they're on that official site means anything at all versus getting one elsewhere.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Chronojam posted:

You know, I haven't ever seen even ballpark figures substantiating that they lost money, or even offhand claims by WSJ or something.

On the other hand, GM said the vast majority of Bolt buyers weren't existing Chevy owners, something like 3/4 of those sales could've gone to the competition otherwise. Surely they'd gladly pay [$rumoredLoss] to make sure you don't buy another Honda this cycle.

Plus that's not even getting into compliance/regulatory/tax benefits.

But really I was just trying to find a way to fit "Juice" and "Bronco" into the same sentence without making it too on the nose :v:

we're definitely in that category. if you had asked me at any point in my life if i would buy an american brand of car it almost certainly would have been no but the bolt won me over.

almost made it through the first 1k miles and loving it. interested to see how the mi/kwh economy will be once the weather warms up more

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

we're definitely in that category. if you had asked me at any point in my life if i would buy an american brand of car it almost certainly would have been no but the bolt won me over.

almost made it through the first 1k miles and loving it. interested to see how the mi/kwh economy will be once the weather warms up more

I owned a Chevy Cavalier and it was the worst loving car. I hated that thing and it was one of the major reasons I was shy about buying my Bolt.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
https://electrek.co/2024/03/04/rivian-r2-electric-suv-leaks-price-range/

quote:

Here are the main things about the Rivian R2 that leaked through the website’s code:

coming in 2026
starting at $47,000
up to 330 miles of range
0-60 mph acceleration in 3 seconds
5 seats

The leak also mentions a “NACS chargeport” though it also says that the R2 can charge at both NACS and CCS charging stations. Perhaps we’ll see a Tesla-style adapter that allows legacy CCS charging.

The website also mentions a “powered rear glass” which is likely for the rear liftgate.

According to the leak, here are the Rivian R2 dimensions:

Length: 185.6 in
Width: 75 in – with mirrors 84.4 in
Height: 66.9 in

closer to affordable, looks like outback sized

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 5, 2024

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Tayter Swift posted:

Why does every single Ioniq 6 on lots in this area have the range-killing 20" tires. I know I still have 4 months left on the lease for this damned Nexo but gdi I want a proper road tripping car ready for me when it's over

Can you elaborate on this? Would I get better range with bigger tires? Mine are factory spec I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Xiahou Dun posted:

I owned a Chevy Cavalier and it was the worst loving car. I hated that thing and it was one of the major reasons I was shy about buying my Bolt.

It's good to be wary of GM.

They're still doing their old thing of having something really good and canceling it (the Bolt). :sigh:

But I hate all the automakers, really.