Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

TheMopeSquad posted:

Thanks for the heads up on this I've been meaning to watch it for a while and thought it turned out to be fantastic. The part where Jackie Chan Splinter was beating up the TCRI goons I was like "This would be a good time for him to grab a chair or maybe if there was some random scaffolding..." then he looks over and boom, chair. I lost my poo poo. Really looking forward to some possible sequels.

Yea this was a really great movie. Jackie Chan should win some type of award.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Netflix has been promoting the Code 8 films so I caught up with them:

Code 8 is a slightly grungy mid-budget superpowers film that is by no means great and has a bunch of half-cooked ideas in it and some very average acting, but executes it well. The idea is that super powered people are an underclass, displaced by automation and regulation controlling potentially hazardous powers, the police deploying drones and combat robots to control supers, so naturally they turn to crime. It's different and a pleasant surprise.

Code 8, 2 (or whatever, the 2nd installment) is more of the same, with one or two clever ideas added in, but overall the cliches abound, the acting grates and it feels like a bit of a rush job. Not terrible but very missable.

IMDB rates them 8 and 6 respectively, which feels about right to me.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

live with fruit posted:

It's amazing how novel the concept of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles but they're teenagers" was looking back on it.

Ha, yeah, I thought that was something that really elevated it. It really highlights how few teenage-seeming-teenagers you ever see on screen. I guess because it's such an idiosyncratic behaviour, that's so hard to not seem silly. It being a comedic film obviously makes that easier here, but its just so so rare for teenagers to not just be 'small adults' or 'large children'.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Foxcatcher, on Hulu, is at least worth checking out for Steve Carell's very weird performance. It's the bizarre story of John du Pont manipulating a pair of brothers into helping him with his ill fated turn at coaching a wrestling team, and how mean to him his mom was. I love seeing comedic actors do dramatic roles. I feel like it can be their secret strong suit--you can almost see the way comedy and drama are the same, that in order to make another person laugh you have to transform yourself completely, and how maybe delivering offensive jokes completely deadpan on The Office is the same as portraying evil or grief.. Everyone is good in it, I was impressed by the depiction of wrestling in general, and the way the two main characters walked in particular; they really had down the "all your joints were horrifically injured before you were 20 but you wouldn't stop, also you are more muscle than man" walk. I didn't have a brother, but I hope if I had it might be close to this. Well, except the end, I guess.

e follow up with The Patient, also Hulu, for more dramatic Carell

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 4, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Carell was such a convincing piece of poo poo in season one of The Morning Show that I couldn't watch him in anything after that for a while. Very solid performance.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Interesting that Netflix is pretty much the only streaming service, with a few exceptions like The Bear, that are doing the binge release model. (I was curious about how 3 body problem would be released)

mystes
May 31, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Interesting that Netflix is pretty much the only streaming service, with a few exceptions like The Bear, that are doing the binge release model. (I was curious about how 3 body problem would be released)
It's clearly incredibly detrimental to creating buzz around shows. I doubt Netflix would even still be doing it except that they decided to use binge watching as their whole marketing gimmick.

If Disney used the Netflix model, Andor would have already been cancelled before it could even get any buzz.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 4, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I thought the season drop model was winning, but this is the Bad Universe

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I like the weekly drop model, if nothing else it gives people a reason to plan out weekly watching events with friends, which is pretty awesome.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Season drops are awful if you want to discuss a show. The window to actually chat and meme about a show is a week, maybe two. If you're interested in discussing a show or don't like spoilers, you only have a few days to cram ten hours of watching in before the whole conversation shifts to theorycrafting for the next season. On top of that, if you're watching it that quickly, you're almost definitely second screening too.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I've said this before: if the whole season drops at once, you can still watch weekly if you want to. You can watch daily monthly, whatever you want!

And I don't give a poo poo whatsoever about "the conversation" or "buzz" or any other dumb nonsense you wanna pretend exalts the pointless drip

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've said this before: if the whole season drops at once, you can still watch weekly if you want to. You can watch daily monthly, whatever you want!

And I don't give a poo poo whatsoever about "the conversation" or "buzz" or any other dumb nonsense you wanna pretend exalts the pointless drip

if you think having a conversation about streaming shows is dumb nonsense, consider posting in a different thread

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

incorrect.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It just leads to better pacing too. Shows meant for binging tend to be written like really long movies, instead of TV shows with discrete episodes.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I finished the final season of Sunderland 'Til I Die, and it definitely answered the question "why did Netflix wait almost two years after they got promoted to the EFL Championship to release the season" in the very last scene.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

and if someone wants to binge a show, they can just wait until the season is over to do so.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I like the weekly drop model, if nothing else it gives people a reason to plan out weekly watching events with friends, which is pretty awesome.

I caught up with my mom's best friend and she talked about how early in their friendship, a few families would get together each Sunday night to watch new episodes of I, Claudius on air and I was just like ..man. That sounds incredibly nice. Obviously that's a bit of an exception when you're able to be like now who is this young actor I don't know playing Sejanus? He's quite something!

The closest thing I'll have to that is the monday mornings at the office during the final season of game of thrones, and we didn't even like the show at that point!

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 4, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

But you can still get together with people and watch something you can binge! At any interval you choose! People still somehow enjoy watching movies together, people still enjoy talking about movies, even though a movie is usually consumed entirely in one sitting.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

enigmahfc posted:

and if someone wants to binge a show, they can just wait until the season is over to do so.

There's a difference between having a choice and not having a choice

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

incorrect.

mystes
May 31, 2006

You have a choice whether to watch the show episode by episode or all at once either way, the difference is just the date

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Whoever came up with the idea of presenting coming soon movies as if they were already available on the platform needs a kick in the stomach.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm not saying this is causation but the 'entire season dropped, better binge ten hours ASAP' and 'all shows are ten hour movies that suck poo poo now' probably have a little correlation going on

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I think the reason studios are so confident that AI slop is the future is that the kind of people who halfheartedly binge watch ten hours of a show while playing on their phone are probably not gonna notice when the lead character grows a few extra fingers or the backgrounds become amorphous blobs from time to time

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

I mean "the conversation"/"the buzz" is generally good for the shows themselves, it keeps people talking.

It's the same reason studios rushing to put movies on streaming before the theatrical run is even finished is a mistake. You don't give people time to miss the thing. Used to be when a movie arrived on home video or first aired on TV there was this whole secondary hype phase. (Never mind the actual secondary revenue that physical media/TV rights used to generate, that's a whole other thing.)

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Inspector Hound posted:

Foxcatcher, on Hulu, is at least worth checking out for Steve Carell's very weird performance. It's the bizarre story of John du Pont manipulating a pair of brothers into helping him with his ill fated turn at coaching a wrestling team, and how mean to him his mom was. I love seeing comedic actors do dramatic roles. I feel like it can be their secret strong suit--you can almost see the way comedy and drama are the same, that in order to make another person laugh you have to transform yourself completely, and how maybe delivering offensive jokes completely deadpan on The Office is the same as portraying evil or grief.. Everyone is good in it, I was impressed by the depiction of wrestling in general, and the way the two main characters walked in particular; they really had down the "all your joints were horrifically injured before you were 20 but you wouldn't stop, also you are more muscle than man" walk. I didn't have a brother, but I hope if I had it might be close to this. Well, except the end, I guess.

Have you seen The Big Short?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Foxcatcher and The Iron Claw would make for a very good and very depressing double feature.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Producers of Netflix shows have said explicitly that the only views of their show that count are watches of the entire show within about two weeks. For shows that release weekly, that window is much longer and steady WoW increases are excellent predictors of a show's potential audience.

I think sci-fi/fantasy shows have the most to lose from a binge model, because they're much harder sells to a larger audience. I want "the conversation" and "buzz" because it gets renewals for shows I like, as opposed to the instant gratification of watching a ten hour movie.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Have you seen The Big Short?

Not yet, I'll look for that soon.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

must consume content

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The only reason services switched to the weekly release model is because they realized they could milk 3 months of subscription fees out of impatient consumers, rather than the standard one month binge and drop the service.

I guess good for you if you enjoy the buzz and the conversation, but know that you are paying for it.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i wait until a show has their series finale before i start watching it because i don't feel like living on someone else's timetable. same with book series. i'm sure streaming companies hate me but DVD box set companies used to love me.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Simplex posted:

I guess good for you if you enjoy the buzz and the conversation, but know that you are paying for it.

oh no.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
i think shows should come out every 2 weeks, and only in 4 minute increments, and then when it finally ends so people can binge them the order of episodes is randomized.

Simplex posted:

lol

you got 'em

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

Foxcatcher and Maestro would make a great "Unnecessary Prosthetics" double feature.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Shogun is good. I like it. That is all.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, you're right. You can choose to wait until a whole season is out and binge all you want!

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah, you're right. You can choose to wait until a whole season is out and binge all you want!

but thats not the choice they want

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

If they dropped True Detective Season 4 all at once, most of the conversation would be around that wild finale where we find out that [spoilre] the True Detective was the friends we made along the way[/spoiler] and not the week to week discussion about who the True and False Detectives were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jolo posted:

week to week discussion about who the True and False Detectives were.

Boolean Detective! Now that's a show.