Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Leal posted:

LPs are a pseudo hobby at best

They're art and I will get the tables to prove it if I must. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Catching up on the last few days of posts in this thread has been loving wild. I think part of the reason a lot of this poo poo works is that it's hard to imagine a person lying on that kind of scale. Like, yes, everyone has told a few lies in their life, but most people do not compose an entire soap opera with multiple terminally ill characters and try to sell you on it as their actual existence. Our brains just aren't ready to deal with something like that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

Catching up on the last few days of posts in this thread has been loving wild. I think part of the reason a lot of this poo poo works is that it's hard to imagine a person lying on that kind of scale. Like, yes, everyone has told a few lies in their life, but most people do not compose an entire soap opera with multiple terminally ill characters and try to sell you on it as their actual existence. Our brains just aren't ready to deal with something like that.

When coolguye first mentioned some of this stuff on discord years ago I legitimately just thought TDI was doing a weird bit and didn't think much else of it. After all, it's not like he was expecting to be taken seriously, right? Right?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Like a lot of people here, I really only been on the periphery of this. I'd heard his kid died (which always gets me, since I have kids myself), and I heard he had some kind of military job, but I assumed it was a desk job, since I know people in real life who have those. Not that he was, like, head of some squad of super-secret government assassins or whatever.

Generally the way people do this is rope you in gradually. It's actually the same way cults work. You hand people a few facts that don't seem that outlandish, and once certainty in those facts exist, you can extend it just a little bit more, and a little bit more after that. Make a big show of reluctance to talk about your PMC experience; make people ask you to tell them about it and then grudgingly give up a few details. Let people tell each other those stories so that the information doesn't always appear to be coming from you. You can get people to believe almost anything that way; the sheer ridiculousness of it doesn't hit you unless you look at all the information at once, and it can be really hard for people to admit they've been fooled, even to themselves.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
i'm zelenskyy. don't really wanna talk about it

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I didn't know anything about the whole "badass mercenary" thing he was trying to sell, or this weird Idverse he'd created for himself. I remember him taking a break from his Shadow Hearts 2 LP and saying his daughter had died in surgery or something like that, and I believed that at the time, then I heard about his YouTube channel being nuked into oblivion (which is apparently most likely real). After that I thought he was on a break from LPing and hadn't thought about him for a while until seeing the posts in here saying he had cancer and was dying tomorrow, and I was like, "that's sad... but also that's an incredibly short timeframe for someone who is apparently still capable of posting on Twitter and Discord" and thinking about that inconsistency kept me from posting my condolences until after someone had come in with the slowbeef tweet.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I think we've all gotten suckered in by someone like this at least once, because the first time you're just not calibrated to expect people to lie, you assume people are gonna be truthful for the most part unless you've already had a bad experience. Especially when there doesn't seem to be any kind of gain to it.

"Hi, I'm a PMC soldier and I need your money to escape the Soviet fortress in Sochi alive." Money on the line? Some alarm bells ringing.

"Hi, I'm a PMC soldier and I'm very sad. Also I play vidoegames." Nothing on the line except emotions, so fewer alarm bells are going to go off.

But over the years you end up bumping into these people who just have to keep lying to stay alive. If you keep them in your circle for a while, you'll probably notice their stories shifting, old sad pasts forgotten and replaced with new sad pasts, etc.

I think at one point, though I could never quite get them to confess it, I dealt with someone who was maintaining eight or so separate online personalities, occasionally killing some of them off for background pathos, and it took me a surprisingly long while to just go "this is a bad actor, time to go" because a lot of us just don't want to believe other people are those kinds of assholes unless they're super blatant about it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Up until a few months ago, I thought Dark Id was some kind of private security contractor. I remember briefly following him on Twitter until he started sounding awfully gleeful at the idea of killing Brazilians while he was (supposedly) doing security work during the Rio Olympics. I thought that was very creepy and promptly unfollowed him.

The idea of an LP goon working as security detail didn't seem like it was outside the realm of possibilities to me. I only very recently heard about his unhinged lie of being an international man of mystery with a hot assassin wife. I can't believe he's managed to fool a Discord server full of people with his hogwash, and I hope they all see the light soon.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Cancer isn't really like a doom timer in Final Fantasy that ticks down over your head. Doctors don't know with any high degree of certainty how long you've got, they just make projections on cases they've seen before and there's a wide variance in how accurate those are going to be. I remember when my dad was dying of cancer and we were setting up home hospice care for him, because they figured he had a couple of weeks left. We had a zoom call (because it was during COVID and we couldn't all go to the hospital to see him at once) and he died less than an hour later. I seriously doubt there are a lot of situations where a doctor will tell you you're going to die literally today, for sure.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I wouldn’t say it’s the strangest thing in the world that someone who is terminally ill would give out status reports, I have seen people who have tweeted out health updates only to die within a few hours. Giving a timeframe for when he’ll die though is definitely suspect.

This is a pretty interesting show of how easy it is for misinformation to spread. Myself, and I imagine quite a few others, only knew Id through his LPs and didn’t know the extent of the Idverse. Most likely to our detriment, people also tend to believe things more readily when things are reported second hand because it carries the implication the information is vetted and reliable. So when someone comes in and reports that someone who has been radio silent for awhile is dying, it’s easy to believe them, on top of no one wanting to be the rear end in a top hat who accuses a dying man of faking it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Did they really tell stories about being a badass soldier with a super spy partner? And people believed this?

The death of a child is tragic and its hosed up if someone fabricated this along with stories of a fake child. But something like that is hard to dispute unless they're a moron who frequently posts inconsistencies about it online.

The same goes with having a terminal disease. But then telling everyone to not worry about it if they see them online after they're dead?

What was the end goal with all of this?

"I'm dead but my twin, TheDarkDI, is taking over. Please keep giving me money!"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Wow. What the heck. Yeah, I too first got 'caught' by SA due to his RE4 LP. Had no idea about any of this until just a few days ago, and reckoned I should check in on the subforum. Sorry to hear how it effected you directly, Speedball.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

ApplesandOranges posted:

Wait are you saying the drawings of Mikhail in the Drakengard 3 LP might not be from his precocious son?!

I guess he is just good at drawing like a kid???

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Quackles posted:

Isn't that just Danganronpa?

only if we can get our own to play the group of dorks stuck in the middle

at least casting the fat goon will be simple though

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Are you kidding? The size of that bracket would make even the most diehard March Madness fan groan.

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

I found out when all this came to light that this was an Open Secret for years among a lot of people about his bullshittery, just that with the whole (now fake) daughter dying it felt like a really bad thing to accuse someone of lying about it. Granted it was that specific incident that got me to realise something was up as I never knew about the completely wild PMC stories.

Like I don't blame anyone for being fooled by what happened. Although the ever increasingly questionable stories from his Discord definitely stretches that but whatever.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
There's not much to say that hasn't already been said. I was a big fan of TDI when I first joined the forum, was really heartbroken when the "news" hit of his daughter's death, and in general, it seemed like he was going to a bad place emotionally from the stuff he was posting. I suppose it's good that he was, in fact, a faking faker, but I'd like those years of concern back, please.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
faker? I think you're the fake LPer around here. You're comparing yourself to Id? Ha! you're not even good enough to be his f-

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

faker? I think you're the fake LPer around here. You're comparing yourself to Id? Ha! you're not even good enough to be his f-

I'm fairly positive at least maybe 99% of the people who were inspired by the Dark Id in some way can proudly say "At least I didn't invent a fake family and then systematically kill them off one by one for internet sympathy points and also lie about being a spec ops mercenary and nearly being assassinated several times and psychologically manipulated people who thought they were my friends with a bunch of gaslighting alt accounts and pretended to have cancer and die."

So there's that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm fairly positive at least maybe 99% of the people who were inspired by the Dark Id in some way can proudly say "At least I didn't invent a fake family and then systematically kill them off one by one for internet sympathy points and also lie about being a spec ops mercenary and nearly being assassinated several times and psychologically manipulated people who thought they were my friends with a bunch of gaslighting alt accounts and pretended to have cancer and die."

So there's that.

unless they lp'd Crusader Kings, or The Sims

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So for those of you who were in the Discord, it's been a talk in another thread here on the site, but since Hikkiari is literally just Peter Parker reporting on Spider-Man, how much of the mod staff there were alts of him? I ask this because I was kinda cool with one of them on an individual level and considered them a friend (or at least I thought I did), and I'm wondering if I should show them the links on Dark Id's identity and deprogram them from his cult bullshit, or just save myself the trouble and flat out block them on the spot?

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It’s so funny that for 10 hours there was an outpouring of respect, grief and sympathy for TheDarkId, and then the lies got pointed out and he immediately pivoted into a lolcow. It’s inspiring in a weird way.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

nine-gear crow posted:

So there's that.

Yeah, but at least Id didn't play White Knight Chronicles

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, but at least Id didn't play White Knight Chronicles

I'd imagine the only difference between mine and Id's LP of WKC at this point would be that Id's would have 90% more slurs in it :v:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd imagine the only difference between mine and Id's LP of WKC at this point would be that Id's would have 90% more slurs in it :v:

That and I don't think you ever said Leonard was loving this poo poo.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
This debacle may be the most anyone has ever "brought to the table" with Lets Plays

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

That and I don't think you ever said Leonard was loving this poo poo.

I said Belcitate was loving this poo poo, because he clearly was, and then they killed him off a quarter of the way through the plot of the duology so I stopped.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Hey guys, what's ---

:psypop:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

I said Belcitate was loving this poo poo, because he clearly was, and then they killed him off a quarter of the way through the plot of the duology so I stopped.

But did he really die or did you just fake that?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

CullenDaGaDee posted:

It’s so funny that for 10 hours there was an outpouring of respect, grief and sympathy for TheDarkId, and then the lies got pointed out and he immediately pivoted into a lolcow. It’s inspiring in a weird way.

it only happened like that because it was slowbeef doing the pointing.

a fistful of other folks tried doing the pointing over the last couple years and all that happened was they got shouted down for being terrible people.

Shitenshi posted:

So for those of you who were in the Discord, it's been a talk in another thread here on the site, but since Hikkiari is literally just Peter Parker reporting on Spider-Man, how much of the mod staff there were alts of him? I ask this because I was kinda cool with one of them on an individual level and considered them a friend (or at least I thought I did), and I'm wondering if I should show them the links on Dark Id's identity and deprogram them from his cult bullshit, or just save myself the trouble and flat out block them on the spot?

i'm not sure who you're talking about but at the end of the day the safest and easiest thing to do would be to just chill on it for a week or two and then try to open a dialog. if that first chat doesn't go well, sever. this poo poo is pretty rough.

if i'm permitted another story that's related to this, there's one person in my own discord community who has had some very serious emotional trouble in the last few years. yesterday, while a lot of this was unwinding, he sent me a quick DM and said "hey, starting to get to a point where i can reach some emotional quiet, hope you are doing good too." however, he did so in a way that did not really convince me of either his healing, or his grounding.

well, as part of this, Discord tipped me off that he was in Id's server, which I hadn't really known before. i did some checking and found him being goaded into more and more extreme articulations of his trauma by various people in id's discord - including by one of the mods we now know for sure is Id. a ton of pieces started falling into place because, just like Speedball, this guy more or less was a victim of that indoctrination environment. and coming down from that is itself its own process.

this cat is also a registered poster so i am extremely reluctant to say too much more out of respect for his privacy and desire to support his actual healing. that said, i feel like the story is relevant in that even if the person you want to talk to is a victim, there's something to be said for letting people find their own way rather than hitting while the proverbial iron is hot. at least personally, i'd be concerned of blowback.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

This does make me wonder how long the ruse would have gone on if Slowbeef hadn’t said something? There’s a whole alternate universe of Dark Id lies that could have happened out there.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Coolguye posted:

if i'm permitted another story that's related to this, [more :wtc: stuff]

I was in the server until yesterday, when I left because either this is true, and I should get out, or because he really is dead and I don't have a reason to hang around (a daily morning hour meme spam is not worth it). Must have been in a channel that I muted because at the very least I don't ever remember seeing any thing like that. Which is definitely possible because I muted most of them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

CullenDaGaDee posted:

This does make me wonder how long the ruse would have gone on if Slowbeef hadn’t said something? There’s a whole alternate universe of Dark Id lies that could have happened out there.

i don't know. a long time yet. in the other thread i said that at least in my mind i don't think the "i'm dead squirtle" thing was even really the end for the TDI persona. i think it's entirely in the realm of possibility that 6 months later, he resurfaces and says "i had to fake my death because nestle was mad i didn't join their kill squads". and i genuinely think a good 2/3rds of his discord laps that up word for word at this point. they're still in denial of what is happening, still posting about nurse droid prototypes and regurgitating the hot button political points in the c-spam esque channel they have, nothing has changed since one of the mods just outright banned discussion of slowbeef's accusations. in any sane community there would've been a groundswell of "no, gently caress you, in what universe is it OK to ban discussion of this actually serious issue that relates directly to why we are all here?" that ship's not in the harbor though.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I was in the server until yesterday, when I left because either this is true, and I should get out, or because he really is dead and I don't have a reason to hang around (a daily morning hour meme spam is not worth it). Must have been in a channel that I muted because at the very least I don't ever remember seeing any thing like that. Which is definitely possible because I muted most of them.

#acab-political-hellscape was where a lot of it happened, which... just the name alone should give you a good idea of the general tenor and tone of the place.

it's worth noting that this channel is one of the very few that has either been privated or has been deleted in the last 48 hours, so my abovementioned note about "hot button political points" is nullified at least. it was definitely there yesterday, though.

e: yeah okay I'm not crazy, this is the most recent couple of posts in the general chat:

quote:

[poster] — Today at 2:29 PM
was about to ask
is acab just gone now?

[poster 2] — Today at 2:37 PM
I'm not honestly sure. I've inquired about it.

[poster 3] — Today at 2:39 PM
I was also confused that it was just fully gone when I checked today.

[poster] — Today at 2:47 PM
Curious on the why :hiiiicorn:

the goon sagas thread had a refugee from the Id discord posting choice stuff yesterday so my instinct is that someone realized that there was way too much gold in that channel so they got rid of it.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 5, 2024

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I know someone from that discord, accusing Slowbeef of having faked screenshots to feud with Id, and I'm not surprised. They've always been a weird person. Hopefully they deprogram eventually but I'm not holding my breath.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

VoidBurger posted:

This debacle may be the most anyone has ever "brought to the table" with Lets Plays

for loving real

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Coolguye posted:

the goon sagas thread had a refugee from the Id discord posting choice stuff yesterday so my instinct is that someone realized that there was way too much gold in that channel so they got rid of it.

that may have been me inadvertently "helping" since they periodically purge it and I said it was probably time

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if anything, you made the right call. the penny's already dropped, and people know there are no-poo poo victims of Id now. even the sagas thread asked for a moratorium on insane poo poo in the ductwork from Id's discord because the point had been made.

the victims are going to need a fresh start somehow, and burning the garbage of yesteryear doesn't sound like the worst idea if that's to be achieved.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Shitenshi posted:

i saw someone crosspost in another server and they said this:

i think people must be pretty embarassed with the whole thing, I doubt its a real culty thing, i think people on his server (who seem to be good people from what i saw in the past), are more shellshocked than anything, so you should probably talk to your friend

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
tho theres one admin with japanese characters in their names whos like "don't talk about all this nonsense or you'll get banned", i think the admin and mods might be true believers which is sad if so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You probably don't get to be the mod of someone's personal hangout unless you're a true believer and/or secretly TheDarkId in a halloween costume.