Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Pasqal is like hands down the best companion.

This isn't even up for debate, unless you make a character that overlaps with him having the tech/logic skills at sky high values. Him and Cassia, it's like why even bother trying to replace with with the PC or mercs, they are so unique and powerful they are the mainstay of every group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Why can't we romance pasqal

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
lol Owlcat I hate to say it but you really deserve whatever poo poo you get at all times

Genuinely do not think it is possible to max out a single merchant reputation during the game without cheating or shoving literally everything into cargo all equipment and consumables and ignoring every other merchant.

This is also several patches deep into "fixing" this problem how was there not a single dev who checked and went "wait, how much reputation? is that possible?"

Same with Iconoclast/Heretic/Dogmatic, I'm sitting just shy of the final rank at the end of Act 4 having taking exclusively Iconoclast options at every single chance.

Theoretically, if you min-max and plan out the entire colony management system I guess you can hit the max values, but its extremely un-intuitive for all the rank 5 projects which are a mess of requirements for projects from other planets that might've been locked out.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

pentyne posted:

This isn't even up for debate, unless you make a character that overlaps with him having the tech/logic skills at sky high values. Him and Cassia, it's like why even bother trying to replace with with the PC or mercs, they are so unique and powerful they are the mainstay of every group.

He's an Operative though, and they're the worst class by a large margin.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Owlcat carefully gauging the audience reaction while slowly turning the dial on Rep requirements from "Literally Just Cheat" to "Still Pretty Unreasonable"

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

pentyne posted:

lol Owlcat I hate to say it but you really deserve whatever poo poo you get at all times

Genuinely do not think it is possible to max out a single merchant reputation during the game without cheating or shoving literally everything into cargo all equipment and consumables and ignoring every other merchant.

This is also several patches deep into "fixing" this problem how was there not a single dev who checked and went "wait, how much reputation? is that possible?"

Same with Iconoclast/Heretic/Dogmatic, I'm sitting just shy of the final rank at the end of Act 4 having taking exclusively Iconoclast options at every single chance.

Theoretically, if you min-max and plan out the entire colony management system I guess you can hit the max values, but its extremely un-intuitive for all the rank 5 projects which are a mess of requirements for projects from other planets that might've been locked out.

I maxed out Navy, Mechanicus, and Kasballica on my last playthrough.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Janissary Hop posted:

Navy is pretty much guaranteed since they don’t overlap with anyone else.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

I'll have to give him another shot once the game is finished

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Janissary Hop posted:

yeah its not hard to max out 2 or 3 if you are diligent about turning stuff into cargo. Anything that turns into relics, xeno artifacts, or mechanicus creations is pretty valuable

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Plus colony projects that give consumables

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I might be the only person with these brainworms, but another thing that you need to consider if you're really into minmaxing rep and cargo is that your cargo lots don't actually cap out at 100%, but their display does, and that for some reason Owlcat got really weird with item vlaues. This means that it's possible to have a cargo stack of 7 medium-sized fuel tanks at 12% cargo value each and a single large fuel tank at 25% value be listed at 100% cargo and give the value of 100% cargo, despite being worth 109%. This means that if you don't have a ready source of replenishable consumables, you might be losing out on a load of cargo or so every so often, which might have helped you squeeze in an extra level here and there.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
Hell no, if you ever feel the urge to rearrange cargo to squeeze out an extra couple % in a lot, just loving cheat yourself the rep instead.

Whoever you are, whatever you do or don't do, your time is more valuable than that.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, the rep was annoying as hell. I was able to max out the Navy one because as mentioned void combat trophies only go to them. But nothing else was even close to finished when I beat the game a patch or two back.

And there was no middle ground, either. You either had maxed rep or it was like you'd never done a thing for them.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Victory Lap posted:

Hell no, if you ever feel the urge to rearrange cargo to squeeze out an extra couple % in a lot, just loving cheat yourself the rep instead.

Whoever you are, whatever you do or don't do, your time is more valuable than that.

Like I said, it's brainworms- I actually find the experience kind of relaxing :shobon: I've got a whole pile of 1%, 2% and 5% stuff lying in front of the main holomap on the ship's bridge just so I can rummage around it and add in bits here and there before I sell it off for rep. Again, brainworms, probably Tyranids.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

habeasdorkus posted:

And there was no middle ground, either. You either had maxed rep or it was like you'd never done a thing for them.

This was annoying as hell.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
JUST got to the start of chapter 3.
No spoilers, but am I doing this right by not making any warp routes better than 'unsafe' so I can get random battles and level up more frequently?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Nah. Your main route should be yellow or green. The random encounters take so long and give so little that it wind up not being worth your time.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

The Lone Badger posted:

He's an Operative though, and they're the worst class by a large margin.

Lol, lmfao at this take

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Beat the game. Definitely don't regret playing or buying it, but I do regret not waiting 6 months for Owlcat to finish it.

I did not find the halo device, Heinrix did not leave my party when I started Act 5 and was allied with me (no idea why), and the Act 5 companion missions feel almost meaningless, and all have battles that I could end in a single round. Oh, and the last map was really cool but crashed my framerate constantly especially during battle. The "doppleganger" fight prior to the final boss was really nice in that it gave you a bunch of great endgame weapons if you did not already have them.

The main takeway from this is Owlcat when left on their own to create something new have some absolutely fantastic ideas for set-piece fights or dungeons and then struggle to find a way to connect everything via the overall gameplay path. After hating on the management systems in the Pathfinder games this one was at least scaled back by a lot but in the process of doing it they still did not quite figure out how to make it something you want to engage in.

Oh and their original combat system was fine, even if you could crack it in half easily. I hope they don't try to course correct in to much of an extreme manner for the core mechanics like stats/numbers etc. and instead find ways of just doing unique things in combat like boss gimmicks, forced teleportation, battles on the run(genestealers), outlast a certain number of rounds etc.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

pentyne posted:

The "doppleganger" fight prior to the final boss was really nice in that it gave you a bunch of great endgame weapons if you did not already have them.

That one was a tough fight for me with some of the enemies just deleting my people.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Naramyth posted:

Nah. Your main route should be yellow or green. The random encounters take so long and give so little that it wind up not being worth your time.

Everything yellow except green between the colonies would be my recommendation. You only have so many points but you will want to pop between colonies easily.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Trying to clean up the Before I Play page, this should all be fairly spoiler free and useful info the game isn't telling you. Stuff in bold I'm not 100% on

Act 3: Idira and Argenta will try and kill each other after she reveals Theodora's fate right?

TL;DR
- Current as of patch 1.1
- It’s an Owlcat game, so install Toybox as a quick fix for any sort of problems
- Skill Checks skyrocket in difficulty in Act 3 and continue on doing so for the rest of the game
- Strong enemies usually have stage gimmicks or a buff that can be disabled using certain powers or attack types
- “Role Playing” is a core part of the game design, it rewards going all in on one type of alignment over mixing them up
- Act 3 throws a massive shift in gameplay at you
- Keep most navigation routes at yellow, it can trigger an event that gives Insight

Character Creation
- There is no significant reactivity to homeworld/origin
- Psyker Origin is basically it’s own unique class
- Most companions have unique features you cannot replicate with mercenaries; Cassia especially.
- For melee DPS, priority is Agility, Weapon Skill, Toughness
- Strength stat is only important for equipping heavy weapons and power armor
- Skill checks in the game are balanced assuming characters focus on 2-3 skills max, and take the skill training abilities

General
- There is no time limit for the main story. Some companion missions will expire if you ignore them too long.
- There are labeled points of no return for advancing into the next chapter
- Early combat is cover based shooting and lasts several rounds. By Act 3 combat is about granting extra turns via abilities/heroic moments and doing extremely high damage attacks to end combat in 1-2 rounds.
- The game is supposed to pick the best party member to use for skill checks but it will not always do that.
- Foulstone can be converted into a colony.
- For high damage with ranged weapons the optimal choice is a heavy bolter; despite the listed damage rate of fire is the more important factor for damage.
- Ship combat is “optional” except you need it to level up your ship and get better equipment from the vendor. Main quest missions are often gated by a moderate difficulty ship battle to proceed

Level Up
- The first archetype taken gives you a option of 3/6 potential 2nd archetypes. They can all synergize quite well but you have to read a lot to find the high value options.
- You can find a lot of Aeldari and Drukhari equipment in later acts so those talents are useful midgame and beyond.
- Grenadier will allow party members to use grenades at 0AP and likely during all extra turns
- You don’t need to build out anything in advance except strength requirements for heavy weapons and power armor
- Psykers get the until end of combat buffs/debuffs, regular classes get per round/until next turn versions, and Grand Strategist set areas that buff allies/debuff enemies inside them

Act 3
- The party you take into the final story mission of Act 2 will be the only party members you have for Act 3.
- High priority skills needed for Act 3 are social skills, and Lore:Xenos.
- Warp attack abilities are highly valuable as they can dispel enemy buffs on hit
- The permanent party member debuffs can be cured by turning in plot items found in the area
- If you take 2 specific party members into Act 3 they will try to kill each other

Companions
- You recruit most of the companions by Act 2, an additional 2 in act 3, and then 3 secret companions in Act 4 that can join based on your alignment
- Companions will not leave you over alignment choices until a specific late game extreme option or siding against them during a pivotal conversation
- The Space Marine is found in Act 3, his gear is nearby. Despite his power he is a 2x2 size and can get stuck on the map. Toybox has an option to make him normal size.
- Companion quest outcomes build up to opening up options at the end, like “X remembers your advice” in case you want specific good endings

Colony Management
- Janus has a project that gives you an AI controlled ship ally for space battles
- The med kits that cure traumas are a high value item
- Save extractiums for xenotech and flogiston early game

Vendors
- You cannot max all vendor reputations, focus on 2 that do not want the same high value cargo
- Vendor reputations increase to 35 in Act 4.
- The Imperial Navy only takes trophies obtained from ship combat

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Has anyone taken the Psychic Awakening skill as an Exemplar? If so, how'd you build it?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Xun posted:

Why can't we romance pasqal

tbh completing his quest and making Nomen real, powerful, and his friend is romancing him imo

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

A thing I think they should get rid of is reputation requirements where you're doing the faction a favor. Turning your planet into a pirate haven should not require you to have previously bribed the pirates. Letting the Kasabalica have rogue techpriests hang out shouldn't require you to bribe them

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You could argue that establishing a larger trade network involving the pirates would need a certain level of already established connection with them.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I've already got a 15% discount on all their stuff and am helping them investigate lava worlds for some reason, my bonafides are thoroughly established. I'm not going to bribe them to let me do them a favor

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

You could argue that establishing a larger trade network involving the pirates would need a certain level of already established connection with them.

The whole cargo/reputation/colony project system seems like the barebones of a much more complicated web of choices, options, repeatable quests etc. so all the incongruities are way more obvious when it's gating progression or access. You even have the vendor figureheads all in the same location, Footfall, so if they were giving out quests you could turn them in all at the same time.

Was it possible, at launch, to max out a vendor? They've been making multiple changes to that system with every big patch scaling down requirements to make it more viable. I can only assume the reward calculations were based on a prior system or expecting to lock in to a specific ally/vendor.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

I've already got a 15% discount on all their stuff

So glad that was finally fixed.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

pentyne posted:

The whole cargo/reputation/colony project system seems like the barebones of a much more complicated web of choices, options, repeatable quests etc. so all the incongruities are way more obvious when it's gating progression or access. You even have the vendor figureheads all in the same location, Footfall, so if they were giving out quests you could turn them in all at the same time.

Was it possible, at launch, to max out a vendor? They've been making multiple changes to that system with every big patch scaling down requirements to make it more viable. I can only assume the reward calculations were based on a prior system or expecting to lock in to a specific ally/vendor.
Yeah, like, you could in fact hang an entire game on that system.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

pentyne posted:

Beat the game. Definitely don't regret playing or buying it, but I do regret not waiting 6 months for Owlcat to finish it.

I did not find the halo device, Heinrix did not leave my party when I started Act 5 and was allied with me (no idea why), and the Act 5 companion missions feel almost meaningless, and all have battles that I could end in a single round. Oh, and the last map was really cool but crashed my framerate constantly especially during battle. The "doppleganger" fight prior to the final boss was really nice in that it gave you a bunch of great endgame weapons if you did not already have them.

The main takeway from this is Owlcat when left on their own to create something new have some absolutely fantastic ideas for set-piece fights or dungeons and then struggle to find a way to connect everything via the overall gameplay path. After hating on the management systems in the Pathfinder games this one was at least scaled back by a lot but in the process of doing it they still did not quite figure out how to make it something you want to engage in.

Oh and their original combat system was fine, even if you could crack it in half easily. I hope they don't try to course correct in to much of an extreme manner for the core mechanics like stats/numbers etc. and instead find ways of just doing unique things in combat like boss gimmicks, forced teleportation, battles on the run(genestealers), outlast a certain number of rounds etc.

I just beat this as well and I have to agree with you here. Game buggy as hell but fun and I really enjoyed their takes on Warhammer 40k lore. It was very fun to play an Iconoclast character, befriending aliens while telling Heinrix to shut up I'm the boss here. It was kind of fun to have a party of characters where it seemed like no one liked each other at all. Was there a moment where Heinrix would leave your party in act 5? I'm not even entirely sure why he stayed. It was apparent in the writing that he did not always enjoy being a brutal arm of the inquisition, but he consistently pushed against every decision I ever made so I kind of assumed he wouldn't have turned on Calcazar

I kind of broke the combat even after the patch that "fixed" Argenta being a monster with a heavy bolter and an Officer Rogue Trader beefing her up with so many bonus turns. Not sure what effect I had but my Rogue Trader always went first. Being Iconoclast I could always make Argenta use her "free attack every turn" momentum ability. Casia would always go right after due to another talent that made her take a turn after someone else uses a momentum ability. She would do some stuff and then use another momentum ability to give Argenta a full turn with a ton of free attacks. This would generate me enough momentum to do it again with my Rogue Trader. I would almost always destroy everything on technically the first turn of combat every time. I was playing a few difficulty levels up too. I could've stopped but I did enjoy puzzling out what trajectory of targets would give me the most momentum so I could keep doing it.

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 4, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Don’t forget to solve the puzzlebox and get another free Finest Hour every combat.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

pentyne posted:

Trying to clean up the Before I Play page, this should all be fairly spoiler free and useful info the game isn't telling you. Stuff in bold I'm not 100% on

All cool words, though I think it goes too deep into specifics for Before I Play page.

Btw Grenadier only works once per combat.

I'd also add that sooner or later you'll encounter enemies with more than 100% armour and you have to be prepared to do something about it. All the psyker powers raise the chance of side effect for the following psyker powers, but the chance is never zero even if the corresponding bar is empty. Even the first psyker power has a chance of backfiring.

Anyway, I'm playing it and this is what I want RPGs to be. Even with all the bugs I enjoy it without a lot of "except for" to add. Pathfinder games were a torment cause it felt like somebody took pleasure in deliberately modding 9/10 RPG to make it borderline unplayable. I keep hearing about endgame not being great. But for now it's great. I've realized that a recent random encounter fight in warp got me excited because I wanted to try a new toy for my party and the description of the encounter sounded fun (it was Nurgle guys throwing poison around). I've raised the difficulty to make all the combos more meaningful because all of the systems work. I'm not used to enjoying mechanics in an RPG at this level, it's more akin to well-thought out tactical roguelikes rather than RPGs which usually succumb to kitchensink imbalance.

This makes me excited for their next game. To be honest the very idea of WH RPG doesn't look exciting to me. You need a lot of effort and talent to make a game about narrative choices in a world of satire while keeping a straight face. Owlcat isn't terrible about it but it works worse for me than their previous games. I understand Pathfinder world is less defined and gave them more artistic freedom. Perhaps their next game with their own IP or something else more suitable would be my 10/10 game. I just hope they won't go back to making faithful adaptations of Pathfinder games cause these are not my jam at all.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 4, 2024

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Am I doing something wrong in Act 4, a bunch of things just seem to be a planet encounter, kill some dudes just off the shuttle and that's it. The locations are not showing as explored but there doesn't seem to be anything else to do there.

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023

Aramoro posted:

Am I doing something wrong in Act 4, a bunch of things just seem to be a planet encounter, kill some dudes just off the shuttle and that's it. The locations are not showing as explored but there doesn't seem to be anything else to do there.

Having a similar experience myself. Having spent 20 hours in act 1 it's apparent that content is front loaded. I'm looking forward to finishing the game and wrapping up various storylines but I have to motivate myself to get back into. Very little sense of progression in the mechanics of the game now.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

RedSky posted:

Having a similar experience myself. Having spent 20 hours in act 1 it's apparent that content is front loaded. I'm looking forward to finishing the game and wrapping up various storylines but I have to motivate myself to get back into. Very little sense of progression in the mechanics of the game now.

The game just kinda ends in act 4 it seems. There's 4 systems maybe half a dozen fights and then you're done.

The final boss, despite his 13000 hp doesn't really seem to do anything. Nothing an angry nun with a gun can't fix anyway.

Not sure I'll do my heretic run yet, might wait for some QoL improvements to clean up colony management and travel etc.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aramoro posted:

No that's correct. If you explored as much as you could in Act 2 there's pretty much nothing new to find aside from a single system that is main quest locked.

The DLC packs are supposed to be 2 massive core game updates, hopefully filling out that 50% of the map that is empty with new places to explore especially for Act 4 tier stuff.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

There better be the Undred Undred Teef eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Squats/Demiurge first. Then Orkz.