Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I was continually surprised that I was one of the few in our help desk who were able to take notes while talking with a user in the phone.
Being able to type down keywords and look up CIs while keeping a conversation going is apparently also difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I don’t think thats the hard part, the hard part is writing down stuff as you try it without an obvious pause as you actively troubleshoot. I try to do it when I go to look stuff up or once I get to the “I won’t hold you hostage on the phone, will call you back when I’m done”

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Just noticed that Synology M365 backup doesn’t back up users that are disabled. Which is fine but I disabled all shared mailboxes three months ago for security purposes so now none of them have been backed up.

Any suggestions for best approach? Thinking enabling the accounts but creating a CA policy and adding them to a group that blocks sign-in.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I literally keep a notepad on hand so I can write notes while on the phone without feeling distracted. Also, I'm the only guy on my team with a background in research and editorial work, which is nice but also annoying because I'm constantly the guy asked to write up new documentation or procedures by my boss.

Anyways came in today expecting my boss to have a nasty email in his inbox from Dr.Dipshit. He didn't. Gave him a heads up in any case.

"Christ, what a jackass. Don't worry about it."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cyks posted:

Just noticed that Synology M365 backup doesn’t back up users that are disabled. Which is fine but I disabled all shared mailboxes three months ago for security purposes so now none of them have been backed up.

Any suggestions for best approach? Thinking enabling the accounts but creating a CA policy and adding them to a group that blocks sign-in.

Would you need the information again because people might come back to work for you, or is this because you might have to do discovery in the mailboxes? If it's the latter then use the legal retention features in M365.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

tokin opposition posted:

I'm the best writer-upper at my place, but it really depends on how long ago I worked on the ticket. If it's been more than a few hours it may as well not have happened and I'll fall back to "did x, solved y, confirmed z, closing ticket" where x, y, and z are maybe a sentence long.

Anyway really not looking forward to tomorrow but at least I've got another handful of applications out there. Any leads on remote helpdesk or junior sysadmin would be beloved.

Tokin, if this is at all true, the next time I get approved for a remote headcount increase I'm going to hire you so you can train my helpdesk newbies.
Actual accurate
"did x, solved y, confirmed z, closing ticket"
Is the fuckin platonic ideal of helpdesk notes for simple things.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Silly Newbie posted:

Tokin, if this is at all true, the next time I get approved for a remote headcount increase I'm going to hire you so you can train my helpdesk newbies.
Actual accurate
"did x, solved y, confirmed z, closing ticket"
Is the fuckin platonic ideal of helpdesk notes for simple things.

Oh, thank you. I'd be happy to apply and talk a bit more about what you're looking for and how I tend to teach and do help desk. Id quite like getting back into more educational work, it's been a while since I taught anything more in depth than "here's how to take a screenshot." :) to be honest my memory for work stuff is pretty inconsistent, so I rely on tickets as a memory aid that also happens to help coworkers when they read them*

* If only mine could.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Handsome Ralph posted:

Gave him a heads up in any case.

I've been on both sides of a complaint from the end user on a ticket. If the ticket notes are up to date and detailed, you'll never hear about it because I can tell the customer that they got an email 3 days ago and we've been waiting on them. Let that slip, and I will be asking awkward questions.

Bosses hate surprises. Hate. Hate. Hate. Don't ever let yours be surprised and you'll be the golden child for years.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

First day at new job. Access wasn’t ready despite my start date getting pushed back a week so I’m just chilling

I don’t think I’ve ever had a new job where access is ready.

The lights in this office are also super dim which I can’t decide if I hate (depressing, constant reminder that this could be done at home) or love (autistic less sense poo poo)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
We are apparently migrating to a different tenant, but from the phrasing I don't know if it's a new one, or if it's the company's that bought us. Should be interesting to see where this leads at the very least. No idea what it entails and if it means I won't be admin for our poo poo as well as not having to deal with our striking lack of security that would be pretty great honestly

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What's cool is when a company doing an acquisition in the tech space somehow thinks that an Office 365 tenant is just email and maybe some documents in Sharepoint, and nobody thinks about talking to anybody and so a load of SSO apps stop working. If the response to that is "ah that's why we don't use SSO" then you need to run for the door.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

What's cool is when a company doing an acquisition in the tech space somehow thinks that an Office 365 tenant is just email and maybe some documents in Sharepoint, and nobody thinks about talking to anybody and so a load of SSO apps stop working. If the response to that is "ah that's why we don't use SSO" then you need to run for the door.

The best is when the new org has the same application and they use SSO which auto brings users into their application tenant but you have CUI so you have to break SSO and migrate so you can continue using your own tenant.

I've had to do this with 4 separate applications in the last 6 months.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
We're doing business with a company that specializes in doing that kind of migration (supposedly, their name is a generic acronym so I can't find them online) so either it'll be flawless or we will have issues for the next 10 years is my guess. As I said, if I get to wash my hands of a lot of the higher level stuffI quite literally don't give 2 shits lol I raised the list of issues over time and honestly, I know it's petty of me and I should do and think better as a person, but I don't really care past that and if stuff breaks they can fix it themselves!!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's time that MS did some domain trust equivalent with M365 tenants rather than the fairly patchy Entra B2B stuff, let a primary tenant delegate licenses into the children, move things like SharePoint sites between linked tenants, the equivalent of the Exchange hybrid mailbox move without giving a boatload of cash to MS and needing an enterprise agreement etc. It's a mature enough product that mergers and splits between companies using M365 is happening all the time.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Thanks Ants posted:

It's time that MS did some domain trust equivalent with M365 tenants rather than the fairly patchy Entra B2B stuff, let a primary tenant delegate licenses into the children, move things like SharePoint sites between linked tenants, the equivalent of the Exchange hybrid mailbox move without giving a boatload of cash to MS and needing an enterprise agreement etc. It's a mature enough product that mergers and splits between companies using M365 is happening all the time.

Our Sharepoint environment caught fire at the mention of that

Just depreciate on prem sharepoint MS please just depreciate it and delete my account

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Going on week 3 of new job and still don't have work phone for authenticators and whatnot. I will not put that crap on my personal.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This job here mandates Duo on each personal phone or you cannot accept the job. Shrug. People have the option to get texts for MFA though.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

GreenNight posted:

This job here mandates Duo on each personal phone or you cannot accept the job. Shrug. People have the option to get texts for MFA though.

Mandating work stuff on personal devices strikes me as strange.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I feel like a MFA authenticator isn't a big ask. Managing the rest of your phone? Yea that's not great, but MFA? Come on.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah MFA is a big nothing burger. Personally I dont want to carry around two devices either for that.

Email/Messaging is a totally different story.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

MFA on your cell phone is like being asked to wear shoes.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
There's more than just MFA, I agree on the MFA part though.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I wonder how much extra downtime the Meta lay offs are causing today.

Either way, pour one out for the SRE homies over there.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I think i had like the worst 4 hours of help desk ive had in a long rear end time. Multiple tickets that came back from Tier 3 team with the wrong answer / incorrect solution applied, and me the tier like 1.75 person having to answer to the contact who wants to know why their problem wasnt fixed after the ticket floated around for like 10 days. And having to explain that I don't know I guess our Tier 3 team just sucks sometimes but all I can do is send the ticket back to T3 and leave notes telling them they did it wrong, and maybe this time you'll get a person with reading comprehension skills after waiting another 3-6 days. And then a ticket where a software issue causing file retrieval errors is treated as an "office procedural problem" by the SME which i try to argue with him on teams but in the end basically forces me to close the ticket on someone and tell them to get hosed even though they didn't do anything wrong.

A month ago I had an interview with the state's Dept of Health for their service desk and and thought it went great, but never heard anything back. I thought the govt at least had to tell you when you weren't hired :(

End venting post.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

thalweg posted:

I think i had like the worst 4 hours of help desk ive had in a long rear end time. Multiple tickets that came back from Tier 3 team with the wrong answer / incorrect solution applied, and me the tier like 1.75 person having to answer to the contact who wants to know why their problem wasnt fixed after the ticket floated around for like 10 days. And having to explain that I don't know I guess our Tier 3 team just sucks sometimes but all I can do is send the ticket back to T3 and leave notes telling them they did it wrong, and maybe this time you'll get a person with reading comprehension skills after waiting another 3-6 days. And then a ticket where a software issue causing file retrieval errors is treated as an "office procedural problem" by the SME which i try to argue with him on teams but in the end basically forces me to close the ticket on someone and tell them to get hosed even though they didn't do anything wrong.

A month ago I had an interview with the state's Dept of Health for their service desk and and thought it went great, but never heard anything back. I thought the govt at least had to tell you when you weren't hired :(

End venting post.

A month turnaround would be short for government tbh

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Internet Explorer posted:

I was basically arguing that the performance wasn't worth the ops complexity to people who catered to the lowest possible denominator, MSPs. I have no problem with it and it's definitely the way to go a lot of the time, especially if the vendor says so.

I made that same argument about 7 years ago where I work, after wasting a massive amount of salary time on a problem caused by someone's completely-understandable whoopsie oopsie on mtu config

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

I made that same argument about 7 years ago where I work, after wasting a massive amount of salary time on a problem caused by someone's completely-understandable whoopsie oopsie on mtu config

Internally we just have MTU 9k set inside the datacenter, with defaults on the WAN and campus. Since it's all controlled via templating I don't even think about it. However, if you don't have good control, I could see where that complexity would get away from you.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

ilkhan posted:

Had a phone screening today. Went great, dude said he had a ton of applicants and interviews to do, but told me I crushed it and was already shortlisted for the spot. :yotj: and moving may be in my future afterall. Pay is on low end of my acceptable range, but giant believer in internal promotion and it's government so it's probably not going away anytime soon. Could do worse. 75-80% remote and no on-call, too.
1-1 interview went great, he narrowed it from 47->4 with the phone screenings and already said I sailed through the 1-1 and will schedule the panel interview when he finishes the other interviews.

The pay level is still less than I'd like but the supervisor seems chill and claims to really push internal advancement, so I guess we'll see. I'm getting slightly excited. I might try to get brought on as a senior based on experience and interview performance, the pay differential would be good and I think I've earned it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

I wonder how much extra downtime the Meta lay offs are causing today.

Either way, pour one out for the SRE homies over there.

It wasn't just Meta, or at least wasn't only an issue at Meta. Looks like a CenturyLink / Level3 outage. Made my day fun.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

thalweg posted:

End venting post.

I applied to NIST maybe six months ago, thought my interview went well and never heard back, not even the rejection email. I think someone explained it in the fedgov thread that someone somewhere has to push a button to send out rejection emails and they do that less than once a year it seems

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

GreenNight posted:

BYOD for MFA is mandatory here as a job requirement that employees agree to during onboarding. Also must be Microsoft Authenticator app with number matching.

In return employees get an extra $900 a year ($35 per pay period). I don’t care if the employee wants to pocket the extra money and use their existing phone or go buy a cheap plan and phone from mint mobile or even just use a WiFi only iOS/android device.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

We're finally starting to push clients to go to passwordless, and the most convenient/cheapest way is to use Microsoft Authenticator, so this has been a topic of discussion at various clients about whether it's OK to mandate using a phone app for the main login. So far no one's actually said no yet, which is good because the other option seems to be Yubikeys.

Which I was all gung ho about until this morning when I was busy adding mine to all our global admin accounts and discovered the TWENTY FIVE ACCOUNT limit for hardware recipient keys. What the gently caress Yubico.

(I would also like Entra to fix the problem whereby it doesn't support 1Password passkeys, and even worse lets you get almost entirely through the process and errors out just after you enter a name for the security key).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Funny that you guys are taking about MFA on personal phones - I just went through this today in a ticket I had. Got pushback from a group of people who don’t want Microsoft Authenticator on their personal phone. My company does not provide work phones or stipends - something I brought up to my manager when we were discussing MFA rollout. I believe local law in the place my companies HQ is located says you can’t force people to use their personal phones for work without offering a stipend.

I brought this up when discussing MFA rollout with my manager. The response I got was basically “Yeah we know, we’re still going through with it.”

Ok, so that means we’re going to be offering hardware tokens to people as an alternative, right?

“Nope”

Ok, now whenever I get pushback I just politely tell them it is a policy decided by upper management, and if you have any issues with it please contact them.

Been working so far…

FWIW, I am actually on the users side here. If they made enough noise they would probably spring for the hardware tokens, but they (correctly) think that won’t happen.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If people don't want the MFA App on their phone I say configure a CA policy for FIDO2 and mail those people out Yubikeys.

Works great.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

SyNack Sassimov posted:

We're finally starting to push clients to go to passwordless, and the most convenient/cheapest way is to use Microsoft Authenticator, so this has been a topic of discussion at various clients about whether it's OK to mandate using a phone app for the main login. So far no one's actually said no yet, which is good because the other option seems to be Yubikeys.

Which I was all gung ho about until this morning when I was busy adding mine to all our global admin accounts and discovered the TWENTY FIVE ACCOUNT limit for hardware recipient keys. What the gently caress Yubico.

(I would also like Entra to fix the problem whereby it doesn't support 1Password passkeys, and even worse lets you get almost entirely through the process and errors out just after you enter a name for the security key).

What is this limitation?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Also,

I just had an awesome IAM interview. Please dear God and Jesus I want this job so bad. :pray:

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
I also hate the MFA on your personal device requirement. I almost got screwed by that because my new employer mandated some MFA app that wouldn't even run on my personal phone and my work phone hadn't been issued yet. Probably also partially a side effect of COVID-era remote on-boarding.

Fortunately my last employer agreed to let me keep the iPhone they issued me because it was so old it was depreciated, so I just made do with that until my new employer sent me one.

Now we've migrated so basically everything can be done with Yubikey or TouchID and I only really have to use the MFA app if I'm doing something from the phone (or a non-company device).

I don't have a problem with companies giving you a stipend to cover it, or disclosing it as a requirement upfront, just seems unfair to mandate everyone's choice of personal device as a requirement of employment if they're not paying for it.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
We do Microsoft auth MFA on personal devices here, but we also get an Internet stipend that's supposed to cover it, although I dunno the laws around it. No real pushback from anyone, but I did make sure to note that it's not for tracking people or to give us control of your phone pretty heavily during the pre rollout training. The only pushback was a nerd on the database team that wanted to use Google authenticator, but my boss vetoed just letting him do that because ???. This was before you had to input a number and obviously it's not really a security concern, like SSO, which my boss still refuses to consider even though it would make things massively easier for us and for the users.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

tokin opposition posted:

Oh, thank you. I'd be happy to apply and talk a bit more about what you're looking for and how I tend to teach and do help desk. Id quite like getting back into more educational work, it's been a while since I taught anything more in depth than "here's how to take a screenshot." :) to be honest my memory for work stuff is pretty inconsistent, so I rely on tickets as a memory aid that also happens to help coworkers when they read them*

* If only mine could.

Who knows if I'll ever get an open spot, but I do want to stress that, as a person who was on a helpdesk or managed helpdesk people for like twenty years the way you do things makes you incredibly employable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Gucci Loafers posted:

What is this limitation?

Yeah, it's not something I would have expected to exist so I didn't even think about it before I ran into it.

https://support.yubico.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013790319-How-many-accounts-can-I-register-my-YubiKey-with

Basically, Yubikeys can only store 25 FIDO2 credentials, or hardware assisted passkeys as Yubico calls them. So for most people, I guess that's probably fine (though as more and more sites start implementing passkeys I think even a standard user might start running into this if they're not using 1Password or similarly generated passkeys). For a sysadmin, especially if you administer multiple Azure tenants, 25 is insanely low. I presume there has to be some kind of advanced technical limitation on how these are stored, because in an era where tiny USB keys hold terabytes I can't imagine Yubico cheaped out so much on a $50 device that it's only a memory limitation, but who knows, maybe they ARE that greedy and their bill of materials is 2 cents for 4 MB of flash.

I saw somewhere on Reddit (always known as a great source of truth) that their next version might be expanded to the princely number of 60 FIDO2 keys, which, if true....Yubico, what the gently caress.