Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Many US wrestling fans have never seen any joshi live ever, much less see them performing at full power live in Japan.

TJPW letting people like Maki and Miyu travel around brought new eyes to the promotion and got people to subscribe to WU. People seeing TJPW wrestlers in AEW brought in new eyes.

Like, there are people who praise Miyu Yamashita vs Thunder Rosa in AEW, and it was low quality compared to Miyu vs Rosa in TJPW, and well below par of what Miyu normally does against basically anybody in TJPW. And yet that AEW match brought in new fans to TJPW because they thought it was great because they had nothing to judge it against.

Many people saw Utami at GCW for the first time and thought "yo she rules" and then checked out Stardom for the first time.

Also, look how many people are fine with going to see Sukeban shows to support their favorite wrestlers, even though it's pretty clear that the wrestling and the wrestlers are like third priority at best to whatever Sukeban's overall plan is.

Seeing someone you like work at 50% capability live for the first time is better than never getting to see them at all.

And that's not even considering what you mentioned; many of the talent really want to go to the US and wrestle outside of Japan.

I honestly wonder what happened between Tony and Rossy to make things break down like that, given that once upon a time in 2019, there was that tag match where Britt Baker and Riho were up against the team of Bea Priestly wearing the World of Stardom Championship belt and Shoko Nakajima wearing TJPW's Princess of Princess belt (where Bea scrambled Britt's brain like 3 seconds upon entering the ring).

I'd bet my literal house that gains in overseas viewers is both quite small and vastly less important than live gates. Cyberagent absolutely bleeding money on wrestling tells the reality there

It's a significant bigger threat losing talent to the west than an opportunity. That is the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I'd bet my literal house that gains in overseas viewers is both quite small and vastly less important than live gates. Cyberagent absolutely bleeding money on wrestling tells the reality there

It's a significant bigger threat losing talent to the west than an opportunity. That is the issue.

God forbid the talent actually gets paid

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Duke Pukem posted:

God forbid the talent actually gets paid

Ahh I see

Because I'm old enough to remember when the wwe ripping the guts out of say the indies was a problem.

I'd have thought a thread on women's wrestling would probably understand its not ideal for women's wrestling fullstop for the duopoly to just warehouse Japanese talent and to wreck the industry there.

Strange how this sub forum has changed its tune on this issue post 2019

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Ahh I see

Because I'm old enough to remember when the wwe ripping the guts out of say the indies was a problem.

I'd have thought a thread on women's wrestling would probably understand its not ideal for women's wrestling fullstop for the duopoly to just warehouse Japanese talent and to wreck the industry there.

I dont remember becoming the spokesman for the sub forum. Im for talent getting paid, whether it be in wrestling or any other sports and always have been. And I dont buy that BushiRoad cant compete, so stuff it with that duopoly nonsense

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
WWE killing the indy scene was because a lot of them signed up to be on the Network, the details of which locked up various talent and prevented them from working outside what WWE wanted as well as limit who the companies on the Network could use.

AEW has done so such thing and is much more willing to sign a part time contract. See Riho, Yuka, ShiDa, etc.

Both AEW and WWE are fully aware of the talent in these companies and has been for years. The idea that you're somehow hiding talent by keeping them locked to Japan or the UK is ridiculous. Let them take some indy/AEW dates and get paid.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 5, 2024

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ahh I see

lol alright dry those eyes big guy

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Duke Pukem posted:

I dont remember becoming the spokesman for the sub forum. Im for talent getting paid, whether it be in wrestling or any other sports and always have been. And I dont buy that BushiRoad cant compete, so stuff it with that duopoly nonsense

Bushiroad can compete to a point. Mayu iwatani said in an interview a couple of years ago that she makes 1 million yen a month as her downside and 3 million yen plus on good months. Which is good money.

But let's be realistic. The combined income of njpw and stardom is about 45 million dollars a year. They Japanese market is smaller regardless and compounding that is tv money in the US.

Japanese promotions essentially fork out quite a large percentage of revenue on pay to be competitive in the market. BR itself has quite clearly upset the joshi industry on pay

All I said was that the benefits for Japanese promotions through subscribers to services is significantly outweighed by the challenges of losing wrestlers into the west. I understand capitalism champ

But it's a significant threat to pro wrestling in Japan..some people like Japanese wrestling

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

WWE killing the indy scene was because a lot of them signed up to be on the Network, the details of which locked up various talent and prevented them from working outside what WWE wanted as well as limit who the companies on the Network could use.

AEW has done so such thing and is much more willing to sign a part time contract. See Riho, Yuka, ShiDa, etc.

Both AEW and WWE are fully aware of the talent in these companies and has been for years. The idea that you're somehow hiding talent by keeping them locked to Japan or the UK is ridiculous. Let them take some indy/AEW dates and get paid.

Is that last paragraph true though. I'd suggest to this thread the best wrestler under 30 in Japan is Kaito Kiyomiya. There doesn't seem to be a big push from the big two to sign him.

Njpw itself turned down the wwes offer back in the day to show new japan content on the old wwe network out of fear the wwe would pick off anyone who their fans liked.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Japanese women's wrestling is far more threatened by a lack of interest in the product at home than any predatory buy up of talent by the big America companies.

Mostly because there isn't a trend of hiring Japanese talent by the big two and the Japanese talent that does work America consistently are either special attractions on the indies (like Maki Itoh or Minoru Suzuki) or have had every major match in their home promotions and without shifting sales noticeably in Japan (Riho, Yuka, Takeshita, and Miyu).

AEW hires female Japanese talent mainly based on their pre-existing relationships to major male talent. Riho, Shida and Emi were packaged with Kenny Omega and the same goes to Yuka and Takeshita. Tony Khan pushes strong English language promos in the women's division in order to shift ratings.

WWE takes the very very best of matured Joshi and apart from a fluent English speaking blue chip prospect like Giulia, I don't see them having any interest in Japanese women at the moment.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I'd have to think AEW cared about its women's division before I thought it was raiding other companies for talent for its women's division.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Lamuella posted:

I'd have to think AEW cared about its women's division before I thought it was raiding other companies for talent for its women's division.

I was gonna argue but I don't think I can at this point

At least we have RoH

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Was already keen for when the JTO show featuring the Inaba sisters fighting each other hits vk, now i'm seeing Azusa debuted new gear and am thinking there's a chance she might actually beat Tomoka

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Lol at this logo.
https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1764943407045345388

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

You're talking about the duopoly when what's happened so far is that a few people have taken some single bookings.

Also go be mad about global capitalism allowing free movement of workers or whatever

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 5, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Eneusy

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Yeah, were it not written in the text I wouldn't have guessed E neXus V

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
The acronym should have been ENV, because you can pronounce it as "envy" which makes sense as a faction name. Hopefully the logo can be refined.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
It is a bad logo

But whatever. I love everyone in EXV

Push Hanako

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

I definitely read it as "eneussy" at first because the internet has broken my loving brain

e: The Internet Made Me Stupid

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Elephant Ambush posted:

This and also I want to see the global non-WWE wrestling ecosystem grow and flourish together with talent exchanges and cross promotion. Isolationism is not going to work long term

And I don't hate Rossy or anything. I understand his position. But I think it's short sighted and to a certain degree a little selfish

AEW has done a really good job with talent exchanges with NJPW. They both send top talent abroad to lose but get their wins back when the other promotion sends their people to lose. Rossy has no good reason from a business perspective not to do the same. Stardom is already the highest in-ring quality promotion in the world and it's the top tier of joshi wrestling and global women's wrestling. It's the second most successful promotion in Japan. There's seriously no good reason to be isolationist, especially against a company that has an established track record with treating foreign talent well

lol the global non wwe ecosystem of "everyone must go to AEW"

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
idk if I was Starlight Kid and had been in Stardom pretty much my entire career and I was suddenly free to work anywhere I wanted to because my old boss is gone, I'd probably try and get booked on every Wrestlemania week show I could and then sell a bunch of masks since Stardom wrestlers showing up in America are already kind of a rarity and being booking in weird stuff is how we got Maki Itoh and Nick Gage as a tag team

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ItohRespectArmy posted:

lol the global non wwe ecosystem of "everyone must go to AEW"

I'm not saying I want every top joshi to be full time All Elite, and AEW doesn't have space on the roster to hire away all the best joshi talent anyway

I'm just saying that AEW correctly understands that wrestling is a global ecosystem and doesn't insult their fans by insisting that other promotions don't exist the way WWE does. If joshi want to work outside Japan and they want the largest audience that doesn't involve them working at a rape factory then AEW is the place to go

I am absolutely totally opposed to any American company trying to drain Japan of all of its top talent

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm not saying I want every top joshi to be full time All Elite, and AEW doesn't have space on the roster to hire away all the best joshi talent anyway

I'm just saying that AEW correctly understands that wrestling is a global ecosystem and doesn't insult their fans by insisting that other promotions don't exist the way WWE does. If joshi want to work outside Japan and they want the largest audience that doesn't involve them working at a rape factory then AEW is the place to go

I am absolutely totally opposed to any American company trying to drain Japan of all of its top talent

if joshi want to work outside of japan they should work at a company that actually puts women to the forefront of their product rather than consistently being a cooldown match afterthought

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I'm sure they'll take your disapproval into consideration when being offered the greatest exposure and biggest paydays of their careers

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

you're right, we should all look at wrestling as if we were investors trying to figure out how to extract as much value as possible.

next we can talk about how we can catch that "lapsed fan" demographic and appeal to casual fans

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

idc about peoples finances i just want good booking and good matches. i'll be watching the Spark show now when before i wasn't going to. thank you Spark

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The brutal reality is that if you're a Japanese promotion then letting your wrestlers spend time taking bookings in the US is going to make it a lot less likely they'll leave full-time. Because the Yen is so weak right now that getting paid in dollars means you're earning a lot more than you would be at home. So better you let them go on a short tour than lose them to AEW or NXT. Sucks if you're a joshi watcher but that's just economic reality right now. But there's the reason that even someone like Shigehiro Irie has spent so much time abroad the last couple of years. Bare minimum you have to let them go over Mania week because there's so many bookings in such a short time that people can take.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

ItohRespectArmy posted:

you're right, we should all look at wrestling as if we were investors trying to figure out how to extract as much value as possible.

next we can talk about how we can catch that "lapsed fan" demographic and appeal to casual fans

not even close to my point but make up whatever strawman you feel justifies your ideological purity

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Barry Bluejeans posted:

not even close to my point but make up whatever strawman you feel justifies your ideological purity

the ideological purity of seeing good matches instead of half speed matches infront of fat fucks like you lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ItohRespectArmy posted:

What the heck is wrong with you? Nobody here is doing any of that

Joshi should be able to choose where they work, and personally I don't want them working for the rape factory. But KAIRI and Io and Asuka work there so good for them. I hope they're not being harrassed

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the ideological purity of seeing good matches instead of half speed matches infront of fat fucks like you lol

tranquilo

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Elephant Ambush posted:

What the heck is wrong with you? Nobody here is doing any of that

Joshi should be able to choose where they work, and personally I don't want them working for the rape factory. But KAIRI and Io and Asuka work there so good for them. I hope they're not being harrassed

not sure why you keep bringing up WWE but i guess you are mentally deficient so it makes sense you're always thinking of them.

it's possible for people to not work in the US, it's actually very easy to do. Not everybody needs to be working to serve hamburger

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

More like Itoh Disrespect Army

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ItohRespectArmy posted:

not sure why you keep bringing up WWE but i guess you are mentally deficient so it makes sense you're always thinking of them.

it's possible for people to not work in the US, it's actually very easy to do. Not everybody needs to be working to serve hamburger

Do you understand that all the joshi who are on Mania week shows chose to take those bookings and nobody forced them to? It is their wish to work shows outside Japan and have been saying that publicly for a long time

Are you saying they should not do that and remain loyal to Glorious Nippon on principle?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

TJPW fans are so mean :(

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I'm having a hard time parsing what anyone is mad about in this thread right now, a bunch of Stardom wrestlers getting booked outside of Stardom should be a good thing, did Sonny program some sleeper agents or something

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I love Ryo Mizunami and I watch lots of GanJo and TJPW shows and I still also think it would be sick and cool if Ryo Mizunami got a big ol' entrance on an AEW show and lots more people saw how cool Ryo Mizunami is. I like showing people my fav wrestlers and I like seeing my fav wrestlers wrestle. I think it would be cool if I got to see a big STARDOM name at a local indy also, or if one showed up to wrestle Athena. Peace and love.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

yea ok posted:

TJPW fans are so mean :(

listen up shortie, fork over your lunch money so i can buy raku merch or i'll kick ur rear end

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Elephant Ambush posted:

Do you understand that all the joshi who are on Mania week shows chose to take those bookings and nobody forced them to? It is their wish to work shows outside Japan and have been saying that publicly for a long time

Are you saying they should not do that and remain loyal to Glorious Nippon on principle?

i dont have a problem with mania weekend stuff, i just find the nasuating obsession with people saying that wrestlers need to be working for the 2 most boring companies in the world tiring, regardless of which they are stunting for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Not surprised a crazy Joshi fan hates the concept of international trade. Maybe they're right, it was a more elegant time with elegant weapons.