Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Malek hadn't really hit it big yet. Mr. Robot was still a ways off. His biggest claim to fame before then had been playing the Pharaoh in the Night at the Museum movies.

They picked the right guy being Egyptian with a pinch of Greek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Malek hadn't really hit it big yet. Mr. Robot was still a ways off. His biggest claim to fame before then had been playing the Pharaoh in the Night at the Museum movies.

i meant it more in the sense of that he's really distinctive looking + snafu is memorably weird in general

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

KTS posted:

You mean along with actual Jon Bernthal?

man they shoulda reversed those castings

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I know people get salty when WW2 productions act like America won the war on its own, but in a way, it kinda did

Err. This is exactly why people get salty when Americans act like America won the war on its own.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Stegosnaurlax posted:

They could also aim for Portugal because it was neutral and still was friendly with the allies (and nazis), but that was probably a poo poo load harder

And involves going through Spain anyway, unless you get a boat from France or something I suppose - more practical back when Vichy was still an independent but satellite state, but the Nazis have occupied it by now.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Arc Hammer posted:

Outside of Rosenthal, Buck, Egan, Crosby and Barry Keoghan's character I can't really name anyone.

What was Barry Keoghan's character's name anyway?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jisforjosh posted:

What was Barry Keoghan's character's name anyway?

Curtis Biddick, but I had to look it up which kinds proves my point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
All this talk about classic WW2 TV and I just remembered Manhattan.

Though I guess it is fairly different, in that it doesn't directly feature combat.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Eau de MacGowan posted:

the pacific had the huge advantage of rami malek being one of the main characters

no mistaking him, and if he's on screen then the other dude is sledge by default

then there's... knock-off jon bernthal, writer guy...?

James Badge Dale. I only really remember him because he's such an rear end in a top hat in Iron Man 3.

feedmegin posted:

Err. This is exactly why people get salty when Americans act like America won the war on its own.

I really shouldn't of written that when I was massively sleep deprived. Facts got jumbled, though there is a POV that lend lease gave the soviets just enough wiggle room that they could build their juggernaut that scoured away the Germans in the east. Giving them trucks was a massive boon. My masters thesis is crying, though It was on the visual language of propaganda posters so it doesn't really inform this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

James Badge Dale was like Jack Bauer’s partner in the second season of ‘24’

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i meant it more in the sense of that he's really distinctive looking + snafu is memorably weird in general

Yeah, even wearing a helmet and covered in grime he just looks different than the others.
Also, I really his character journey, he acts like an rear end in a top hat towards all the new recruits, but when he gets to know them he’s actually pretty nice.
I like the scene in the later episodes where Sledge’s (I think) dog dies and instead of being an rear end in a top hat Snafu just consoles Sledge.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

twistedmentat posted:

James Badge Dale. I only really remember him because he's such an rear end in a top hat in Iron Man 3.

No not the guy playing Leckie. Bernthal plays Manny, one of Basilone's friends.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Posting from halfway into episode 2. I was excited to see home, and stopped to compare their shot of Trondheim to historic ones. You know, curious if it'd look all rural and Nazi-occupied.

We didn't have oil back then. Cities were underdeveloped. Not much housing, and horse and carriage was still a thing. To the show's credit, they did the research and photo-shopped a modern satellite photo using trees to hide industrial areas and apartment buildings. They didn't hide all the private housing and cars though. Or the city-mall from the 70s, where for a fraction of a second there's a visible solar panel. :v:

Pretty minor overall. The show is still great regardless.

If you'll indulge me, how well does it hold up when they show other parts of the world?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Oasx posted:

Yeah, even wearing a helmet and covered in grime he just looks different than the others.
Also, I really his character journey, he acts like an rear end in a top hat towards all the new recruits, but when he gets to know them he’s actually pretty nice.
I like the scene in the later episodes where Sledge’s (I think) dog dies and instead of being an rear end in a top hat Snafu just consoles Sledge.

That last scene where Sledge is on the train asleep, and Sanfu looks at him as he leaves and decides not waking him up would be the better choice. I hope he looked up Sledge and sent him a letter saying thanks for being a bud.

With the Old Breed has a bit that I wish had been put in the show, where they launch mortar rounds at a bunch of Japanese officers they caught in the open having lunch, and the round that landed on the table failed to go off. Sledge is blamed for the failure saying he didn't remove the arming pins from the mortar rounds, but he went back to where they were fired from to find the discarded pins to prove that yes, he did his job correctly, it was just that round was a dud.

Arc Hammer posted:

No not the guy playing Leckie. Bernthal plays Manny, one of Basilone's friends.

Josh Helman who must be Nick Hoults bff because they're in a lot of movies together.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

James Badge Dale was like Jack Bauer’s partner in the second season of ‘24’

Also the star of the pretty great, but now completely forgotten, Rubicon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He was also a child actor in the crappy Lord of the Flies remake from the 90s.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Junkenstein posted:

Also the star of the pretty great, but now completely forgotten, Rubicon.

I heard that show was good but frustrating because there was some big huge mystery but it got canceled before it could be revealed.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arc Hammer posted:

He was also a child actor in the crappy Lord of the Flies remake from the 90s.

And shot Leo in the Departed.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

twistedmentat posted:

That last scene where Sledge is on the train asleep, and Sanfu looks at him as he leaves and decides not waking him up would be the better choice. I hope he looked up Sledge and sent him a letter saying thanks for being a bud.

With the Old Breed has a bit that I wish had been put in the show, where they launch mortar rounds at a bunch of Japanese officers they caught in the open having lunch, and the round that landed on the table failed to go off. Sledge is blamed for the failure saying he didn't remove the arming pins from the mortar rounds, but he went back to where they were fired from to find the discarded pins to prove that yes, he did his job correctly, it was just that round was a dud.

Josh Helman who must be Nick Hoults bff because they're in a lot of movies together.

irl they didn't meet again for 35 years. But Snafu was eventually a pallbearer at Sledge's funeral.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Snafu just disappeared and nobody heard from him for decades.

He finally showed up at a unit reunion sometime in the 70s I believe.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Attack on Princess posted:

If you'll indulge me, how well does it hold up when they show other parts of the world?
The Pacific was largely shot around Australia so you do note some of the environments feeling a bit odd, like the Islands having gumtrees in the background.

The Melbourne episode is pretty amusing.

A bunch of it was shot alongside Flinders Street station.
But across the road are very modern buildings, so it's impossible to do a wide reverse. So there's a few amusing shots where they've had to fake these reverse angles further down the same side of the street - Leckie getting onto the tram for instance. Or the weird shots where they're supposed to be looking at the clock tower, but are kinda sitting under it.

The Footy oval used was Victoria Park to cover for the MCG where they were historically billeted. You catch a few bits of The Sherrin Stand that wasn't open until the 70s in the background.

Some social aspects are a bit off. Like creating a Greek diaspora in Carlton isn't quite right. They existed, but in reality would have been around Lonsdale street. Rathdown St was chosen as a location as there's enough old places you can use.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Considering Oxford is practically unchanged for centuries it seems rather easy to 1940's it up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

soviet elsa posted:

irl they didn't meet again for 35 years. But Snafu was eventually a pallbearer at Sledge's funeral.

That's nice. One of the BoB guys did that to, just vanished but showed up at a reunion near the end of his life.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

“Masters of the Air” is an odd title for a show about bomber crews being slaughtered.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

SuperTeeJay posted:

“Masters of the Air” is an odd title for a show about bomber crews being slaughtered.

i mean they've only been in the air in 3/7 episodes so far

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I kind of thought „that is a little over the top“ at the Regensburg thing but then thought surely they wouldn’t make that up and jeez it’s almost verbatim what happened, what the gently caress. Thanks for the Wikipedia link! I guess previous talk of how luftwaffe tended to treat Air Force guys reasonably well for reasons kinda made me lower my guard.

The whole concentration camp train passing and nazis yelling extra hard came off as kind of cheesy and over the top though, idk how to do that without taking more time with the subject matter however. Seems like it was basically shorthand to make sure everyone in the audience understood. But maybe it happened exactly like that, who knows.

I rented band of brothers from the library to revisit it after like 20 or more years (yikes) and am happy to report it’s held up extremely well. Catching all the minor roles in the back or foreground was particularly fun. Also I remembered it as being way more epic and while it’s more coherent and tight than Masters I am ok with how disjointed Masters can feel, it’s difficult without having literal physical progress across Europe for the characters. While I think the CGI and effects in Masters are fine (the drop in BoB looks way better tho) I can’t help but feel like there’s a lot more exaggeration. Still very good though. Wish they’d do bigger longer air scenes and more explanations of what happens. Gimme a map overlay, slow down time, I don’t care.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I know people get salty when WW2 productions act like America won the war on its own, but in a way, it kinda did, if you want to say its industrial might was the main force that won the war.

This is dumb bullshit just so you know.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Zwille posted:

The whole concentration camp train passing and nazis yelling extra hard came off as kind of cheesy and over the top though, idk how to do that without taking more time with the subject matter however. Seems like it was basically shorthand to make sure everyone in the audience understood. But maybe it happened exactly like that, who knows.

This gets at my main problem with this show. I'm happy to have them focus on different aspects of the airman experience, but so much of the non-flying segments so far have just been clichéd. All Germans being either creepy interrogators or vicious, yelling guards; the Americans getting into fights with snooty Brits; downed pilots trying to escape the gestapo with resistance help; the married American man who amid the chaos of war strikes up a relationship with a British woman... The only main cliché they've swerved away from so far has been the camp interns meticulously planning an escape.

I just wish they had trusted the audience enough to present more nuanced narratives.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Oh yeah, the downed crew (who I think we last saw arriving at a train station in Paris?) suddenly turning up at the air base to say goodbye wasn't a very satisfying conclusion to that part of the story. "Will they or won't they get caught" might have become repetitive but either tell their story or don't.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i mean they've only been in the air in 3/7 episodes so far
Sidelining the battle for air supremacy is a strange choice - we'll be going from dudes losing their minds about the 25 -> 30 missions thing in episode 7 to the Luftwaffe being hosed in episode 9.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SuperTeeJay posted:

Oh yeah, the downed crew (who I think we last saw arriving at a train station in Paris?) suddenly turning up at the air base to say goodbye wasn't a very satisfying conclusion to that part of the story. "Will they or won't they get caught" might have become repetitive but either tell their story or don't.

This was almost definitely a consequence of covid delaying the shoot, surely. Surely.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
How exactly did the prisoners at the German camps get mail? Did the Germans just openly announce that they had a bunch of prisoners and to forward all their mail to Berlin?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Luftwaffe-run POW camps tended to adhere better to the Geneva Conventions and prisoners were allowed to receive mail from home and Red Cross parcels. They mention the Red Cross parcels in the last episode supplementing their lovely camp diet with proper protein. Mail was more of a coin flip but did get through occasionally.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It was part of the Geneva Convention, and handled through the Red Cross, I believe?

Article 36 of the 1929 Geneva Convention on Prisoners of War posted:

Each of the belligerents shall fix periodically the number of letters and postcards which prisoners of war of different categories shall be permitted to send per month, and shall notify that number to the other belligerent. These letters and cards shall be sent by post by the shortest route. They may not be delayed or withheld for disciplinary motives. Not later than one week after his arrival in camp, and similarly in case of sickness, each prisoner shall be enabled to send a postcard to his family informing them of his capture and the state of his health. The said postcards shall be forwarded as quickly as possible and shall not be delayed in any manner. As a general rule, the correspondence of prisoners shall be written in their native language. Belligerents may authorize correspondence in other languages.

So it seems that once taken prisoner, you could write a postcard to your family saying,"Hey, yeah this sucks but I am still alive!" and then the families would be able to send them mail which the Red Cross would deliver along with checking the conditions of the camp etc. The idea being that you let your enemy prisoners do that so that it is reciprocated in kind for your soldiers who have been captured.

Edit: Beaten

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Interesting, I think I was surprised because the other airmen didn’t seem to know whether the downed pilots were dead, prisoners or on the loose.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Oasx posted:

Interesting, I think I was surprised because the other airmen didn’t seem to know whether the downed pilots were dead, prisoners or on the loose.

The only way a POW would know if other crews were alive is if they also end up in the camp or if a letter came from home telling them someone was okay. Its more of a Schrodinger's Cat situation outside of those two circumstances.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 5, 2024

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MeinPanzer posted:

This gets at my main problem with this show. I'm happy to have them focus on different aspects of the airman experience, but so much of the non-flying segments so far have just been clichéd. All Germans being either creepy interrogators or vicious, yelling guards; the Americans getting into fights with snooty Brits; downed pilots trying to escape the gestapo with resistance help; the married American man who amid the chaos of war strikes up a relationship with a British woman... The only main cliché they've swerved away from so far has been the camp interns meticulously planning an escape.

I just wish they had trusted the audience enough to present more nuanced narratives.

Masters of the Air: Actually Masters of the WWII Cliché

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SuperTeeJay posted:

Maybe the Masters of the Air were the Luftwaffe ~makes u think~

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Oxford bits are actually shot in Oxford, it was quite fun spotting the back entrance to my old college. As long as you're careful where you shoot, yeah, the old bits haven't changed in 500 years, so no accuracy problems there really.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

feedmegin posted:

The Oxford bits are actually shot in Oxford, it was quite fun spotting the back entrance to my old college. As long as you're careful where you shoot, yeah, the old bits haven't changed in 500 years, so no accuracy problems there really.

How pedantic do people get about this. "You expect me to believe this takes place in 1750 yet those stones weren't damaged until 1824."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
British levels of pedantry.

I've got no horse in this race until Paul Gross decides to film another Canada Tourism video disguised as a homefront wartime drama. So outside of Oxford which I've visited I couldn't tell you how authentic the rest is.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 5, 2024