Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Kennel posted:

The first world problem of our time is that it's very hard to be sure if things are fun nonsense or some right-wing dog whistle. :v:

It's the same language Cruelty Squad uses and that dev doesn't seem like a right wing shithead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
One of the secret weapons in the demo of Goblin America is the AK 47. Which, of course, stands for Assault Krifle 47.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

The first world problem of our time is that it's very hard to be sure if things are fun nonsense or some right-wing dog whistle. :v:

Maybe I'm super out of the loop, but what is the questionable language there?

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

only the lieberals in washington would let you fastmode a good gunkjuicing

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand these words, what's going on?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Anyone remember the old game Ultimate Space Commando?

Well, the dev is back making a sequel: USC Counterforce, and it looks pretty neat, if still in alpha. Top-down Space Hulk/XCOM fusion with a focus on tight turn-based tactical gameplay.

quote:

Explore and fight in interactable and fully destructible environments. Rearrange the battlefield, build barricades, avoid and exploit environmental hazards, lay traps, trigger chain reactions, seal airlocks, or break through walls—but be warned, your enemies have the same capabilities.

Flush with game modes, you can push your skills to their limits with random and fully customizable Single Missions or challenging, multi-mission operations with unique goals; build, maintain and defend a functional outpost in the Defend the Base mode! Discover a multi-layered difficulty level system that guarantees challenging and engaging gameplay tailored to your taste. Don’t want to defy the horde on your own? Venture into co-op multiplayer and face the threat in classic hot-seat or use Steam's "Remote Play Together" feature to bring a fellow soldier online.

The final version of the game will also include a full, open-ended campaign mode with an adaptive storyline.

I don't know how it plays yet but I am always, always down for more Space Hulk-likes.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dramicus posted:

I'm pretty sure there isn't any, being American just broke them.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Wow, just when I felt like Humble Choice was getting really forgettable, this next batch delivers quite a lotta nice things:

Nioh 2 and Citizen Sleeper are great, I've heard decent things about Afterimage, Soulstice and Black Skylands, and I've wanted to check out Age of Sigmar from the Next Fest.

Just...uh...ignore Saint's Row...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Saints Row '22 is fine. The Steam build was the definition of a 6/10 you hoped they'd polish a little more or really build upon for a sequel, sort of like... the original Saints Row, honestly.

And then they shut them down a week afterwards.

Orv
May 4, 2011

claw game handjob posted:

Saints Row '22 is fine. The Steam build was the definition of a 6/10 you hoped they'd polish a little more or really build upon for a sequel, sort of like... the original Saints Row, honestly.

Real big IMO here but I feel like 6/10 is incredibly generous. Like yeah the gameplay mostly works and you can shoot dudes and drive things and there's a story there but not one piece of it is fun or has redeeming qualities.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I was big on the variety of the side activities. I just hated how they had to be unlocked via the businesses as extra padding, and by endgame I really felt the lack of racing (there was ONE SIDE MISSION).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dramicus posted:

I don't understand these words, what's going on?

gunkjuice in my goblin hole

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

FutureCop posted:

Wow, just when I felt like Humble Choice was getting really forgettable, this next batch delivers quite a lotta nice things:

Nioh 2 and Citizen Sleeper are great, I've heard decent things about Afterimage, Soulstice and Black Skylands, and I've wanted to check out Age of Sigmar from the Next Fest.

Citizen Sleeper is great

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Hwurmp posted:

gunkjuice in my goblin hole

Is this gunkjuice?

Saints Row:0QAJA-NYRQJ-M4EER taken

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 5, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

FutureCop posted:

This one is a definite skip for me, heh.

I am a little bored of soulslikes and I've played Nioh 1 for an hour and got bored of it, so that's two games out. I've given up on platformers - metroidvania, puzzle, precision, story-heavy, I don't care - so Afterimage is out. I'm not an RTS fan but I've tried Age of Sigmar's demo during the NextFest and I thought it was lumbering and tedious. Citizen Sleeper is okay, but I've already played it. (And I think it's a bit over-rated, tbh.)

Saints Row is actually the game I like the most here; I've beaten it and while it's extremely mid, it's nowhere near as bad as everybody seems to think it is. I'd go so far as to give it a strong 7/10. The LARP missions were great.

Black Skylands is the only game here I maybe would like to get eventually, since I enjoyed the NF demo, but I won't get the bundle just for one game.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 5, 2024

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Gripper posted:

I doubt the judge is going to allow wording like that in the final judgement and Nintendo's lawyers are ballsy for even putting that to them given the settlement. They reference a section of U.S. Code 1201 that applies to tools that are "...primarily designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing protection afforded by a technological measure..." which hinges on item #3 - Yuzu self-asserting that the software was indeed designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing protection as part of their settlement agreement. Nintendo didn't get a chance to argue that point in court, and are probably happy not to given Bleem! already won against Sony and they had emulators selling in stores, though that was pre-DMCA era.

Nintendo is trying to create a new precedent here and they won't succeed on that this time.
I'm not sure that Yuzu self-asserting that its primary purpose was to serve as a circumvention tool necessarily implies anything for other emulators that might behave in a functionally similar way. What this may do though is give Nintendo an avenue to quickly shutdown any Yuzu forks since the authors of the original code have already asserted that the primary purpose of Yuzu (and its offspring) is to serve as circumvention tool.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm gunkjuiced. what of it?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

claw game handjob posted:

6/10 is fine for like a short linear game that has some neat ideas implemented badly if you just wanna experience it for yourself
but signing yourself up to spend dozens of hours in a 6/10 open world busywork-em-up seems insane. there are good games you can play instead!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Dramicus posted:

Is this gunkjuice?

Saints Row:0QAJA-NYRQJ-M4EER

I grabbed this one. Thanks so much! Loved SR2 but really disliked 3 and 4. Sad to see Violition go.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

6/10 is fine for like a short linear game that has some neat ideas implemented badly if you just wanna experience it for yourself
but signing yourself up to spend dozens of hours in a 6/10 open world busywork-em-up seems insane. there are good games you can play instead!

Look, unless I want to go into the Ubisoft hole*, I'm real low on open-world sandboxes these days. It was an underwhelming but fresh game that still had some neat, underdeveloped stuff. The photo mode to steal and 3D print stuff for your base was cool, for instance, and if only there was more to that than "put three items up in two locations".

e: I went looking for the last one to drop in recent memory that wasn't SR22, and it was Ghostwire Tokyo, which was much less entertaining on the whole. My last year's worth in the genre was Gotham Knights, Ghostwire Tokyo, and SR22. Easy winner.

* Clearly I do not

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

If someone wants to subsidize their humble bundle this month, I'd toss a few bucks for afterimage.

Edit: got a code!

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 5, 2024

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

The 7th Guest posted:

according to the achievements that got added earlier this year, only 8% of cruelty squad owners have beaten the first level. what even the heck

It could be like Baldur's Gate Enchanced edition where the achievements came out after the popularity surged. My rarest achievements are from that game just because nobody did an evil run through in 2020 or after

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dramicus posted:

Goblins have often been used as a way for writers to get away with writing cartoonishly offensive caricatures of Jewish people, but Goblin America thankfully doesn't do anything like that. In that the first level you play as Goblin Abraham Lincoln, kill Goblin John Wilkes Boothe, and then bunny hop your way out of Ford's Theater, and as we know, Goblin Abraham Lincoln was Presbyterian if anything.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
When goblins are tiny green things that attack low level adventurers they are fine.

When goblins are hook nosed angry minorities who control the banking and currency system, then its a problem.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Phlegmish posted:

I'm gunkjuiced. what of it?

You're not supposed to say that anymore. Because of Woke.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Barb: gone
Gunk: juiced

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

Anyone remember the old game Ultimate Space Commando?

Well, the dev is back making a sequel: USC Counterforce, and it looks pretty neat, if still in alpha. Top-down Space Hulk/XCOM fusion with a focus on tight turn-based tactical gameplay.

I don't know how it plays yet but I am always, always down for more Space Hulk-likes.

Picked it up a few sales ago and it's a lot of fun but it's brutal. Like, some of those random scenarios you struggle just getting out of the lift. I didn't spend ages on it as it's EA and all, with all the rough edges one can imagine (I hit a bug in the tutorial which prevented me to continue, discovered that bug in the "fixed bugs" section of the forums, reported that it wasn't actually fixed, and it's still bugged for me), but I love the mood, and it definitely hits the Aliens/Space Hulk vibes.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

having the player take on the role of goblin presidents plays into the antisemitic trope that all presidents are jewish :viggo:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Another page where people begin the word association game.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Makes me glad I broke up with my girlfriend. She used to say she was going into "Goblin Mode", which I can now see is neo-nazi incel bullshit. I would probably still be with her, if she didn't cut her drat hair. Good thing I dodged that bullet.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Dig up steam thread

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
goblins as a stock enemy are problematic because presenting a sentient race as intrinsically evil raises some bad ideas about nature vs nurture that chuds take with them into non-goblin-related discourse in the real world

thats why i always tut tut to myself before casting a sick nasty overcharged fireball to blast a room full of them to smithereens and collect all their shiny loot & xp

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Ineffiable posted:

If someone wants to subsidize their humble bundle this month, I'd toss a few bucks for afterimage.

If you don’t mind waiting a few weeks for my subscription to auto pay itself, I’ll give it to you for free, I already have it and it’s great. Just DM me or something so I don’t forget.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Terminally Bored posted:

I grabbed this one. Thanks so much! Loved SR2 but really disliked 3 and 4. Sad to see Violition go.

My pleasure, hope you get some enjoyment out of it.

pentyne posted:

When goblins are tiny green things that attack low level adventurers they are fine.

When goblins are hook nosed angry minorities who control the banking and currency system, then its a problem.

Ah, I'm just Warhammer-brained when it comes to Orcs and Goblins. Never thought about them being depicted differently.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

goblins as a stock enemy are problematic because presenting a sentient race as intrinsically evil raises some bad ideas about nature vs nurture that chuds take with them into non-goblin-related discourse in the real world

thats why i always tut tut to myself before casting a sick nasty overcharged fireball to blast a room full of them to smithereens and collect all their shiny loot & xp

Baldur's Gate 3 does a good job of circumventing this by having the Goblins actually willing to fight and kill the demon spawn inhabiting the nearby druid base.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Chop Goblins is brilliant because it is both a descriptor and an imperative.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Basically it's got a few faint echoes of potential gross bullshit dogwhistles, just enough that if you're concerned about such things you could possibly see it with some stretching. But the game itself at least looks like it's just sincere about its bullshit being silly instead of gross.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Dig up steam thread

Dig up? Like a dwarf? Cultural appropriation??

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Dwarfs famously dig down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

spincube posted:

Dig up? Like a dwarf? Cultural appropriation??

Dwarfs dig down because they want to find all the cool poo poo underground. Skaven dig up because they want to kill everything on the surface.