Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

johnny park posted:

My friend and I agreed that the 380 would be worth taking if it turned into a limited-use stratagem like the laser, but absolutely pummeled its designated area. Like I'd happily take a one-use version of it that guaranteed total saturation of its AoE.

Alternatively, leave it as is but make the very first shot land exactly on the beacon like a precision strike so you can at least hit SOMETHING reliably.

I love it for the spectacle and bring it even with the loosest justification but it really is just so random with its success

Yeah, if they like doubled or tripled the amount of shells for the barrages they might have a point. There is a genuine niche there: Most of the eagle stuff comes in fast and accurate but with generally limited area of effect, which could leave the barrages to be less suitable against moving targets but more capable of softening up or even clearing bases. They just need to be able to actually hit any drat thing with a bit of reliability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's also the issue that most of the Orbitals have sizable cooldowns compared to Eagles not only having multiple uses by default(except for the 500kg Bomb but even that can be upgraded to have two uses) but also rearming the EAGLE is a rather brisk two and a half minutes(only two with a hanger upgrade)

Basically they should probably chop the cooldowns for most Orbitals in half from their current defaults

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dandywalken posted:

I hate them

they are my enemy

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

drrockso20 posted:

Basically they should probably chop the cooldowns for most Orbitals in half from their current defaults
The debuff spam probably does not help matters either, for picking anything but the fastest orbits or the panic button stuff like orbital rail and giant laser.

"Oh boy, 10% recharge bonus to orbital! That will be helpful to buy right?"
*recharge debuff much loving larger than 10%*
"...I can see why people are so desperate for the +1 eagle ammo."

i would not be surprised if how hosed your recharge and call down times get is furthering the whole "Just run away! Literally firing a single shot is bad!" mindset. Throw an orbit at something to cover your escape? Great job it will be basically an hour until you get it back, so can't use it on an objective AND the target had all the time in the world to walk away from ground zero. (Another reason I am leaning into zipcode sized airburst)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 5, 2024

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I wish the minefields were represented more they are actually pretty decent! The flame mines need a bit of a buff though but that's just kind of a fire thing in general i guess.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Warmachine posted:

What's up unsafe charge buddy?

I'm sorry. Surely you meant 'spot undemocratic scum from atop the highest piece of rock.'

I'd actually love some kind of binoculars that I could use to identify POI's from a long distance/search for the super samples from the highest point on the map. Just let me lean into that recon fantasy.

I mean hopefully with the balance update it makes more of the builds viable at higher difficulty than just shield + breaker + 500kg. Shield gives way too much value. I used the jumpack a lot actually vs bugs and snipe. It's a completely different playstyle than what 99% of what everyone is doing.

In general I would love to see them make more support playstyle viable.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

I wish the minefields were represented more they are actually pretty decent! The flame mines need a bit of a buff though but that's just kind of a fire thing in general i guess.

Fire in general feels like someone coded a DOT ability into a game where time-to-kill is everything. Which is to say the primary way fire interacts with things right now is anathema to how the game is played.

I realized it the other night but as someone in the camp that wants fire to have some crowd control aspect to it, they're kinda painted into a corner with the EMS abilities existing. Though I suppose that'd make the flamethrower and napalm strike be your hand held and Eagle-based EMS wouldn't it?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The Shame Boy posted:

Yea minefields are great, I love it when we have to do an objective that requires moving between various points at the POI and a teammate has mined every last inch. I want to helldive into a super earth ninja warrior obstacle course that kills me.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Warmachine posted:

Fire in general feels like someone coded a DOT ability into a game where time-to-kill is everything. Which is to say the primary way fire interacts with things right now is anathema to how the game is played.

I realized it the other night but as someone in the camp that wants fire to have some crowd control aspect to it, they're kinda painted into a corner with the EMS abilities existing. Though I suppose that'd make the flamethrower and napalm strike be your hand held and Eagle-based EMS wouldn't it?

Great point, I think what the fire is missing is some kind of cc effect. Maybe it should really slow down enemies or send them in panic in different direction, surely the bug I just put on fire would rather jump in the water than chase me.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 5, 2024

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

They should balance fire and EMS based on the clear lethality. Napalm/Fire should be debilitating and have high DoT but its obviously lethal to your teammates. EMS should not affect helldivers but also do no damage. So you have a safe hard CC and a very volatile hard CC

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

drrockso20 posted:

I assume we'll probably be seeing a lot of buffing to the Orbitals in the future considering how most of them fall way short compared to Eagles in most respects
Most of the lower cooldown orbitals are decent (though I wouldn't mind seeing a global orbital cooldown reduction) but one of the issues with orbitals in general is how they get hit disproportionately hard by operation modifiers. Like +100% call-in time hurts just as bad for all the useful call-ins as it does for Eagles, while +50% cooldown time means you're been hit by a penalty literally every time you use an orbital versus the Eagle's relatively rare rearm. Then you have increased orbital scatter, which literally does nothing to Eagles but makes orbitals like the EMS, gas, and precision practically useless due to how they're designed around hitting in the correct spot.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I think fire is supposed to slow enemies down but probably doesn't work as well for that as it should

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Make chargers be permanently lit if they get hit by fire

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

drrockso20 posted:

I think fire is supposed to slow enemies down but probably doesn't work as well for that as it should

i can confirm that it is very hot tho

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

My friend asked me to stop shooting chargers charging him with the flaming shotgun, because apparently flaming chargers hurt more.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Fire is already not the worst way to deal with Chargers(apparently only takes about half a flamethrower tank to kill one) since Fire ignores armor but yeah making them extra weak to it would be a good way to help them feel more balanced as enemies

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Imagine 4 burning chargers on the edge of a cliff. Damage over time works the same way

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

CelticPredator posted:

The next bad guys who will threaten freedom apparently have force powers or something lol

We know nothing about their language, their history or what they look like. But we can assume this: They stand for everything we don't stand for. Also, they told me you guys look like dorks.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I AM NOT A DORK.

also i think a defense mission about turning on automated defenses would be cool. Could have the difficulty actually reduce as you bring more defenses online which would be an interesting change from pressure always building. Instead its hot as gently caress on drop and then slowly becomes manageable if you get SAMs etc online.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I got into a game with a hacker apparently, as soon as I loaded in it said we had 1000 samples and once the mission finished I had 500 (I assume there is an internal limit lower than the display limit). Is that gonna get rolled back at some point or they just gonna leave it and try and fix it to stop it happening in the future?

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I've started bringing the railgun and three eagle stratagems instead of a backpack on runs. It isn't optimal, but it's a lot more fun. 500 KG bomb, regular bombing run, and cluster bomb covers all needs.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Ive actually started bringing turrets more again. When they have upgrades in them an autocannon can absolutely wreck a bug swarm.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Insert name here posted:

Most of the lower cooldown orbitals are decent (though I wouldn't mind seeing a global orbital cooldown reduction) but one of the issues with orbitals in general is how they get hit disproportionately hard by operation modifiers. Like +100% call-in time hurts just as bad for all the useful call-ins as it does for Eagles, while +50% cooldown time means you're been hit by a penalty literally every time you use an orbital versus the Eagle's relatively rare rearm. Then you have increased orbital scatter, which literally does nothing to Eagles but makes orbitals like the EMS, gas, and precision practically useless due to how they're designed around hitting in the correct spot.

I think it would be interesting for the debuffs to be split into effecting orbital or airstrikes rather than blanket effects, giving a push to using one or the other depending on the situation. And yeah, make the penalties less utterly painful on the orbitals.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i hope fire works really well on these magic space elf assholes. i hate them they are a threat to democracy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Some Helldivers with Arc: Oh man this is so badass, I can totally solo helldiver with this.

Me with an arc on easy solo: I almost died at extraction to a single small bug surrounded by corpses ignoring the barrel pressed against their skull for five shots. But was too stubborn to just switch to my real gun. (and then the dropship crushed me for the first time :downs: )

At least I found more super credits on that one funhaver test than I did the last several suicide+ runs!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I hope the space elf aliens all go "ACK ACK ACK" like in mars attacks

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Jerkface posted:

Napalm/Fire should be debilitating and have high DoT but its obviously lethal to your teammates.

failing to see the downside here

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

jokes posted:

I hope the space elf aliens all go "ACK ACK ACK" like in mars attacks

whatever crude vocalizations they make, we can be certain they are not compatible with liberty, prosperity, and democracy.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

thebardyspoon posted:

I got into a game with a hacker apparently, as soon as I loaded in it said we had 1000 samples and once the mission finished I had 500 (I assume there is an internal limit lower than the display limit). Is that gonna get rolled back at some point or they just gonna leave it and try and fix it to stop it happening in the future?

This has come up a few times, and unfortunately you'd need to hit up Arrowhead's support to have them remove the excess samples.

They already know how many samples are supposed to be on the map. It flat out tells you when you pull up the menu. I don't understand how the game doesn't just have a simple check at extraction to make sure the client isn't claiming to have more samples than the map contains.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

failing to see the downside here

The other day a friend was out of ammo and the ransom had slurped up more than his share of the resupply pod. Shortly thereafter my friend was a lil too close to my airstrike, and all his problems were solved.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Fishstick posted:

We know nothing about their language, their history or what they look like. But we can assume this: They stand for everything we don't stand for. Also, they told me you guys look like dorks.

We've all seen too many body bags and ball sacks.

Did they ever fix armor rating, or is light still the only stuff to wear?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Cheeks people, Cheeks

https://i.imgur.com/6XsZVhn.mp4

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Bandire posted:

This has come up a few times, and unfortunately you'd need to hit up Arrowhead's support to have them remove the excess samples.

They already know how many samples are supposed to be on the map. It flat out tells you when you pull up the menu. I don't understand how the game doesn't just have a simple check at extraction to make sure the client isn't claiming to have more samples than the map contains.

I guess I don't really care as long as I'm not going to be punished because they assume I hacked? If they rolled it back automatically either I wouldn't mind but I ain't gonna chase them down for it. I'll just enjoy the quickened unlocks on those upgrades I guess.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I kinda hope those mission debuffs get reworked at some point because they're kind of miserable right now. DRG's manage to be much more interesting by giving you an extra problem to deal with on the mission rather than just making part of your kit suck.

For example, how about a modifier on bug missions that makes 2-3 extra stalker nests spawn in addition to the usual ones.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Triarii posted:

For example, how about a modifier on bug missions that makes 2-3 extra stalker nests spawn in addition to the usual ones.

Just shoot my hellpod before it lands and call it a failure at that point

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

just got a bug where nobody could get on the shuttle at the end rip

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Triarii posted:

I kinda hope those mission debuffs get reworked at some point because they're kind of miserable right now. DRG's manage to be much more interesting by giving you an extra problem to deal with on the mission rather than just making part of your kit suck.

The stratagem scrambler is funny the first time but it gets old fast and then it feels like I'm just doing the fastest input 3 or 4 times trying to get the strat I need in the moment.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Reiley posted:

The stratagem scrambler is funny the first time but it gets old fast and then it feels like I'm just doing the fastest input 3 or 4 times trying to get the strat I need in the moment.

this

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
i think watching a bug whose head i just removed call in a bug breach is the stupidest thing in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

IMO the scrambler should consistently scramble your stuff. Like the codes get randomly reassigned to other strategems but it doesn't change while you're in the mission.

I do think that operation conditions that were like:

'armored scout striders'
'oops all devastators'
'incendiary rockets'
'shielded bot drops'

'oops all bile warriors'
'jumping warriors'
'burning acid'
'multiple breach points'

would be rad though