Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Ynnari as a faction have to exist because the Craftworlds conceptually exist to prolong but not avert their eventual diminishment as a race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

I should emphasize, though, that Vallejo Metal Color is separate from Vallejo Model Color/Air, Vallejo Mecha, and Vallejo Game Color. Metal Color is an aluminum-flake paint that's already a step above everyone else using mica flakes, but it's pricy and mostly comes in variations of silver/steel.

It's bloody confusing that's what it is.

Model Air Steel and Gunmetal are excellent colours and only very slightly inferior to Metal Colour. However if you want the really shiny Metal Colour finish you really need to start with a gloss black underlayer. I've found that Metal Colour over regular primer/paint doesn't look all that different to Model Air metallics. You can also brush it on but it's apparently super good at shredding brushes?

Metal Colour looks really good filtered with Contrast paint. I love candy paint jobs and all of mine are over Metal Colour. The scale car builders will say Alclad Chrome is the superior product but Metal Colour is a million times less finicky and toxic.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I got an airbrush almost entirely for priming because rattle cans suck and have ruined enough models to piss me off. I don't even really use it for painting all that much. I just get perfect primer of whatever color I want in any atmospheric conditions and any phase of the moon. White can be a bit tedious with dry tip but I power through it and do not miss rattle cans at all.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Cooked Auto posted:

There was a bevy of jokes in the meme circles of Warhammer recently about Russ freeing Isha from the Gardens of Nurgle.
No idea where that stemmed from though.

Russ disappeared looking for a Tree of Life somewhere out in the warp. Life Tree = Life Goddess probably.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

How long until we see 3D print files of these guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lknNsZgzG1g

oh that was fast

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Appreciate all the painting advice ITT, my random and stupid selection of citadel paints has been enhanced and I think this will give me a lot more flexibility

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Triskelli posted:

Russ disappeared looking for a Tree of Life somewhere out in the warp. Life Tree = Life Goddess probably.

That's a very specific tree that dog needs to take a piss on.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Cease to Hope posted:

if you want to spend citadel prices on metallic paints, look at vallejo metal color. it's a line made with aluminum flakes rather than the usual mica, so the particles are much finer and thus look less like sparky confetti and more like metal. (it's like long-time scale modeler favorite alclad II, but without the pain of lacquer paints.) aluminium 77.701 is incredible and all you really need, but they have a half-dozen variations on it that are basically that plus a bit of an ink to adjust the hue.

Vallejo in general has seriously fantastic metals. The air series is perfectly thinned, and the Liquid series (alcohol based as opposed to their traditional water based formula) is drop dead sexy. You have to be stricter in your methodology when applying it though as it can rust if you're not careful. Results are worth it though.

Lostconfused posted:

You can also get hardware store primer like rustoleum. And remember for speed/contrast paints you want a lighter shade of grey.

Nessus posted:

Get the flat primer. I had great results from krylon 2x flat black.

^^^agreed, the 2x flats are wonderful and comparatively inexpensive to the rest of the spraycan prices in the hobby. But airbrush supremacy is where is really at.

Frog Act posted:

Also, for textured paints, I'm grabbing:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WP2N8WR/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A2L5UM4TTY8A8E&th=1
and I assume it needs a binder
https://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-VJ26...spa_dk_detail_1

While I'm shopping, anyone have any good suggestions for other things to add? I also grabbed that 77 tufts of grass someone kindly linked upthread

Awesome texture paints. You shouldn't need the pigment binder for them though.
What you can use that binder for however is raw pigment powder or various colored chalks! Crush the chalks into dust, apply to your model with a completely dry brush, then spritz the pigment binder on it. I'm not sure how to apply the binder with a brush. In fact I'm sure someone else will have better tips on applying the binder, I myself have only ever used varnish for the stuff.

As for other poo poo to buy, go on aliexpress and get a paint shaker/vortex mixer for a 1/2 the price of normal so you don't have to blow your elbows out shaking paint. Maybe they're cheap on Amazon now, I'm unsure as I bought mine years ago. If you want to avoid that but still want tools to help shake paint up, some people like putting steel balls in their paint as agitators; don't do this they'll rust. Use glass beads instead.

If your eyes suck (like mine) then get a pair of magnifier glasses. I basically wear them 24/7 when modeling now.

It's always good to have matte, satin, and gloss varnish. Vallejo comes to the rescue again in that department.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The Demilich posted:

Vallejo in general has seriously fantastic metals. The air series is perfectly thinned, and the Liquid series (alcohol based as opposed to their traditional water based formula) is drop dead sexy. You have to be stricter in your methodology when applying it though as it can rust if you're not careful. Results are worth it though.

^^^agreed, the 2x flats are wonderful and comparatively inexpensive to the rest of the spraycan prices in the hobby. But airbrush supremacy is where is really at.

Awesome texture paints. You shouldn't need the pigment binder for them though.
What you can use that binder for however is raw pigment powder or various colored chalks! Crush the chalks into dust, apply to your model with a completely dry brush, then spritz the pigment binder on it. I'm not sure how to apply the binder with a brush. In fact I'm sure someone else will have better tips on applying the binder, I myself have only ever used varnish for the stuff.

As for other poo poo to buy, go on aliexpress and get a paint shaker/vortex mixer for a 1/2 the price of normal so you don't have to blow your elbows out shaking paint. Maybe they're cheap on Amazon now, I'm unsure as I bought mine years ago. If you want to avoid that but still want tools to help shake paint up, some people like putting steel balls in their paint as agitators; don't do this they'll rust. Use glass beads instead.

If your eyes suck (like mine) then get a pair of magnifier glasses. I basically wear them 24/7 when modeling now.

It's always good to have matte, satin, and gloss varnish. Vallejo comes to the rescue again in that department.

Ah poo poo I knew i was forgetting something - those glasses are exactly what I need. I also never would have thought of that re: the binder but my GF is an actual artist so we have tons jd stuff like that hanging around, might be able to do something cool with them

Definitely open to any other textured paint related tips anyone might have, gonna start out carefully applying them to bases before flocking small areas and/or Tuft Application

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

The Demilich posted:

tons of helpful stuff...

What do you recommend as an airbrush primer that matches the WraithBone rattle-can color the closest?

I want models to match one's that I've already primed with wraithbone, but If I can avoid ever having to buy another rattle-can, that would be a huge bonus!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Triskelli posted:

I really like the idea of Russ freeing her and falling for her, like some viking who married a foreign princess and just didn’t return home, throwing the Imperium for a loop

Hallo, I found a pretty princess and she smells so nice! :koos: Also, I’m not coming back!!!

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Mjolnerd posted:

What do you recommend as an airbrush primer that matches the WraithBone rattle-can color the closest?

I want models to match one's that I've already primed with wraithbone, but If I can avoid ever having to buy another rattle-can, that would be a huge bonus!

I've not used Wraithbone itself so I can't say how exactly close it is, but I mix Badger Stynylrez neutral yellow primer + some white primer to get a suitably warm bone color.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Instead of glass bead agitators I use hematite jewelry beads. Little heavier and still don't rust.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Re: metallics, just to contribute I use Snakebite Leather contrast over AP gunmetal for all my iron Warriors trim. Gives a really greasy, oily looking dark bronze.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I haven't used wraithbone either but this is what the primer in my bottle of Vallejo grey looks like after application, under white light.

Lostconfused posted:

Vallejo grey I sprayed on this morning

Edit: searching for images on wratihbone on google does make it look warmer than that though.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I think it's heavily dependent on lighting and cameras.

Angry_Nohman
Oct 16, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm not sure what you mean, to me it just looks like a nice light-ish gold.

This photo does a bad job of showing how shiny it is irl.

Can I ask how you got the colour effect on the red panels? I assume stippling / sponging various layers of red?
My titans are Legio Vulpa as well, and I always liked the almost leather-like effect you see on a lot of them, but could never quite replicate it myself.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Mjolnerd posted:

darnon posted:

I've not used Wraithbone itself so I can't say how exactly close it is, but I mix Badger Stynylrez neutral yellow primer + some white primer to get a suitably warm bone color.

Vallejo Desert Tan is the closest match for a primer, albeit slightly slightly darker. For a non primer Vallejo Aged White is a good approximation. You could probably throw a few drops of a very light grey into Desert Tan and nail wraithbone that way.

Another option is possibly Stynylrez Light Flesh primer. The Stynylrez recommendation is iffy just because it seems there's no good swatches online showing the color besides the bottle itself, and I found 3x different pics of the same bottle with different white balances lol

Anyway, color swatches:
GW Wraithbone:

Vallejo Desert Tan primer:

Normal paints that also decent approximation for the record:
Vallejo Aged White:

Golden Titan Buff (this is the furthest away from the other recs, but Golden is quality so I'm including it)

Now I also found a comment that said "3 parts badger white primer to 1 part badger neutral yellow" to get very close to wraithbone.

Since I have Badgers White Stynylrez primer I tried making wraithbone myself. See below:

Left half of the base is wraithbone, right side what I mixed.
The swatches above are 3:1 white & (from left to right): transparent raw sienna, transparent burnt sienna, transparent raw umber, transparent burnt umber

Wraithbone in the upper left corner.

I ended up with Stynylrez White primer, Liquitex Transparent Raw Umber ink, and Stynylrez Grey primer in a ratio of 10:1:1 drops approximately matching it. Not perfect, but good enough.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 6, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, horus heresy marines are almost the same size as the new 40k bigger boys?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yes and no. They're about half a head shorter but also their arms, torsos and legs are thinner so overall a Primaris does look noticeably bigger than a HH marine in real life. If you put Primaris arms on a HH marine they will end up looking like a gorilla. Shoulders and helmets are the same size though so you can those around freely but some Primaris heads look a little too big on a HH body.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Angry_Nohman posted:

Can I ask how you got the colour effect on the red panels? I assume stippling / sponging various layers of red?
My titans are Legio Vulpa as well, and I always liked the almost leather-like effect you see on a lot of them, but could never quite replicate it myself.

That's supposed to be Legio Audax :(

The red is stippled Gal Vorbak red, then a Gal Vorbak/Mephiston Red mix, then pure Mephiston, then a tiny amount of a Mephiston/Vallejo Orange Red mix. I tried to keep it lighter at the bottom of the panels to give the impression of embers/fire, the effect is more subtle in person.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I was inspired by Nothing But Hate's work a few pages ago, and since I had a torso with no legs I figured it was the perfect time to put that inspiration to work.

It's just a skeletal frame made out of wire, a few steel screens from my THC stash, a used glue stem, and a tiny bit of milliput. The screens and plastic glue stem/leg covering are to help give some support to the green stuff drapery that will get thrown on it.

I need to figure out the style of robe, drape, and how/if to integrate the bottom robe to the upper torso. Then again I could ignore it and just do an Iron Warrior Broly type of thing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Points update is out. Dark Angels suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

Points update is out. Dark Angels suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

A return to tradition.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

BizarroAzrael posted:

Aside from 9th where they absolutely sucked to play against, what's new

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Huh, actually it seems there were a bunch of changes, it's just only the Ravenwing Command marked in red on the pdf: https://www.goonhammer.com/the-goonhammer-hot-take-dark-angels-points-update/

So it's actually not as bad as I thought, just not good either.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

BizarroAzrael posted:

Huh, actually it seems there were a bunch of changes, it's just only the Ravenwing Command marked in red on the pdf: https://www.goonhammer.com/the-goonhammer-hot-take-dark-angels-points-update/

So it's actually not as bad as I thought, just not good either.

That comparison is against the (placeholder) point values in the supplement book, while the change in red is compared against the digital MFM points values released at the end of January. The former is significantly closer to what DA had at the start of the edition, due to the unavoidable delays involved with printing & distribution.

It's weird for Goonhammer to do an article like this because literally no one expected the printed points to be used unedited.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gotta make content I guess.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Content for the content gods.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Content for the Click gods.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

So I have my first ever Finecast model, from a built to order run GW did back in October and, well, are there any tricks or traps for getting it off the sprue I should be aware of? I know that if I have to do any filing, I should do so with a good mask or respirator because but that's the extent of what I've heard.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

rantmo posted:

So I have my first ever Finecast model, from a built to order run GW did back in October and, well, are there any tricks or traps for getting it off the sprue I should be aware of? I know that if I have to do any filing, I should do so with a good mask or respirator because but that's the extent of what I've heard.

I got a few GW resin kits and just snipped them off the sprue like I would plastic parts

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, had no real issues cutting them off normally. And I think non-FW resin doesn't use the same mould release agents so you don't have to wash them. But don't quote me on that though.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I wanted to run Lucius the Eternal in my CSM army but didn't want to use GW's ancient model for him so I printed & painted this up.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I don't think I've painted a single thing for almost two weeks now.

I've been so busy gluing stuff together and figuring out how I'm going to move and transport it.

Finally rounding up 2000 points worth of stuff shifted my perspective so much, now I'm obsessed with planning out how I can get a game in instead of figuring out a paintjob, but also I still need to figure out the paintjob.

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

Just wanted to say this is awesome, I’m really digging the feet. I can’t wait to see how it turns out and I’m glad I could provide some inspiration.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Man those new Darkoath figures would make a sick base for some feral world guardsmen.

drat I really don't need a second army .

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

xtothez posted:

It's weird for Goonhammer to do an article like this because literally no one expected the printed points to be used unedited.

It's an update to their review of the codex, which also said that the printed points are unlikely to be used and that they'd post an update when the points were released.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I've been cursed with knowledge that Chessex dice are not perfectly balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

RangerScum posted:

I wanted to run Lucius the Eternal in my CSM army but didn't want to use GW's ancient model for him so I printed & painted this up.

This is awesome.