Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
My favorite part of getting map completion is when the game asks me if I want to go to a new, more populated, map. So I do because that speed boost is nice. The instant I load in: it asks me if I want to go to a new, more populated, map.

EDIT: aside from getting lucky with drops to sell and ecto gambling, what are some good ways to make gold? I've basically been selling every stack of material I've been getting and it's been a slow trickle but I really need a lot.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Nuebot posted:

My favorite part of getting map completion is when the game asks me if I want to go to a new, more populated, map. So I do because that speed boost is nice. The instant I load in: it asks me if I want to go to a new, more populated, map.

As someone who spent her 20's at nightclubs I can fully relate.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nuebot posted:

EDIT: aside from getting lucky with drops to sell and ecto gambling, what are some good ways to make gold? I've basically been selling every stack of material I've been getting and it's been a slow trickle but I really need a lot.

Get in to Fractals. Even doing the T1 dailies that don't require AR can net you like 8 gold. It might seem a touch intimidating but the only lovely people in Fractals are the ones stuck in T3 because they refuse to learn anything.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Inzombiac posted:

Get in to Fractals. Even doing the T1 dailies that don't require AR can net you like 8 gold. It might seem a touch intimidating but the only lovely people in Fractals are the ones stuck in T3 because they refuse to learn anything.

It's also helpful that goons are very nice and will teach you, exercise a lot of patience, and won't freak out if you don't know every mechanic. I have to thank goons for helping me break into fractals, I resisted doing them for my first 1,500+ hours. I'm still learning T4s, but probably never would have bothered without our guild.

My advice for Fractals is to watch Laranity's tutorial guide or check out the Hardstuck.gg Guide, it's INCREDIBLY useful to know what you're getting into before the floor starts falling out beneath you or somebody expects you to solve puzzles you've never seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_qV8qnkaQ4

Also Mukluk's Fractal guide videos.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 5, 2024

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh yeah, same here. I avoided fractals for so long because I thought it would be too involved but Goons showed me the way and now I can sleepwalk through all of them.

Still funny to do T1 Swamp and none of the newbies read or listen to what's happening.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Take this with a pinch of salt since I play on EU where things are a little different, but I had no problem pugging my way to T4s. When I was starting out I actually managed to join a run where an experienced player took us from attunement 1-25 by doing every T1, but honestly they were so ridiculously easy that wasn't at all necessary. Going through T3 was also smooth, despite all the complaints I've heard about it.

I did daily T4 fractals (no CMs) for about 6 months, and as far as I remember I only felt the need to leave one group - where everyone immediately fed to the first boss so I had to solo it. Then they instantly died to the second boss, and after a long fight I ended up dying at like 2% boss health. Politely said I was looking for a more experienced group and wished them luck. Occasionally someone would have no clue what they were doing and the group had to carry them, and much more rarely someone would get upset at a dps doing less damage than the healer. Generally daily T4s are pretty cozy, and they are fantastic money for the time it takes to do them (much like strikes). CMs maybe less so since you actually need to have some vague idea of what to do.

If you like gold and don't have crippling social anxiety, do strikes and T4 fractals. They are fun and profitable!

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

..btt posted:

Take this with a pinch of salt since I play on EU where things are a little different, but I had no problem pugging my way to T4s.

I pugged all the way to 100 on NA and didn't have any issues. I think I had one group in T3s where someone got sour. The biggest thing is being willing to start your own daily group for T3s since it felt like the LFG was more dead than other tiers.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm still figuring out fractals but straight up opening with "t1 newbie fractals" and asking for help/advice/"oh god how do we do this" has led to very kind people - randos and goons - getting me through some weird fractals.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I was gently ushered from t2 to 100 by Haranga and would not have got there without them

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

I went from t1 jumping to t4 by asking how much AR was needed to join a group that was going to t4. I had a huge pile of higher infusions. broke stuff down and slotted in 9s and 11s. Learned some new stuff, but a lot was things I already knew. Then I started doing public ones when board and I'd rather clear t4 with the guild, but less smooth t2/3 runs are still easy money.

Also, if anyone wants to do lower fractals to get used to it and build up infusions for higher tier then I'll help anytime I'm online.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Could someone suggest a fun and easy to play PVP build to me? Doesnt matter for which class.

I need to get 130 PVP tokens because i want to make a legendary ring, and im ... not good at pvp

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Do you mean Shards of Glory? You can just TP them

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Does Soulbeast completely demolish the pet or is it just a time based petless skill period?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

Does Soulbeast completely demolish the pet or is it just a time based petless skill period?

You just merge with the pet until you unmerge. You get some stats and some beast abilities. Then when you unmerge the pet pops back out and you can go about your day

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

The merge isn't time based or anything, you'll spend 99% of your time merged. The gimmick with soulbeast is that all your pet-centric triggers now apply to you (e.x. sic 'em now gives you a big damage boost directly).
If you want to actually fight using your pet untamed is the spec to go for.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

cool thanks!!!

I'm just having a tough time determining if I wanted to level my ranger or my rev next (and I like pets actually)

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Meowywitch posted:

cool thanks!!!

I'm just having a tough time determining if I wanted to level my ranger or my rev next (and I like pets actually)

Ranger is hard to argue with if you enjoy pets. A bunch of them are cute and fun, some of them are spicier, all in all there's a nice variety. If you're into fashion wars, you can even theme your pets with your outfits/color schemes.

Soulbeast has never been better with dual maces. Druid is my main spec and the #1 reason I play GW2. Untamed has legitimate healing, quickness DPS, and DPS builds (also a mace enjoyer).

Ranger owns, basically.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 5, 2024

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

gandlethorpe posted:

Do you mean Shards of Glory? You can just TP them
:aaa:
Oh my god im saved!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Nektu posted:

:aaa:
Oh my god im saved!

Last time I looked, they were super cheap, too. Way cheaper than the WvW ones

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jedah posted:

Ranger is hard to argue with if you enjoy pets. A bunch of them are cute and fun, some of them are spicier, all in all there's a nice variety. If you're into fashion wars, you can even theme your pets with your outfits/color schemes.

Soulbeast has never been better with dual maces. Druid is my main spec and the #1 reason I play GW2. Untamed has legitimate healing, quickness DPS, and DPS builds (also a mace enjoyer).

Ranger owns, basically.

drat it, I'm going back to my Ranger after shelving him for years. I try to play pet classes in games that allow it but I got sucked down the Necro and Mesmer hole for too long.

I hope my pig, Arus, hasn't died of starvation.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

I hope my pig, Arus, hasn't died of starvation.

Arus will be happy to see you! Even better, Pig is now considered the top tier DPS pet for Soulbeast, according to Snowcrows. They're saying Axe/Axe + Hammer, but Axe/Axe plus Dual Maces also is super fun and hits like a truck. Soulbeast has to be nerfed at some point, it's silly how strong it is.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Nektu posted:

Could someone suggest a fun and easy to play PVP build to me? Doesnt matter for which class.

I need to get 130 PVP tokens because i want to make a legendary ring, and im ... not good at pvp

power dragonhunter. shoot people with longbow 2. use f1 and pull people into your full stack of traps (they can't leave). best part is, i'm a very experienced pvper and still get my stool compacted by dragonhunters who have no idea what they're doing.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I have played well over a thousand games of sPvP and I still think I can challenge dragon hunters with their traps if I have stability on me

You cannot do that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You're making me excited to level my alts more so I can play their weird cool specializations!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

StrixNebulosa posted:

You're making me excited to level my alts more so I can play their weird cool specializations!

You can go play PvP instantly after you leave the starting instance at level 2.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Just be aware that PvP is the sacrificial anode that keeps all the awful, terrible rear end in a top hat gamers out of the rest of gw2

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If I'm in the mood to play a PvP game I'd play something with a less toxic playerbase, like league of legends.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 6, 2024

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

It's a shame because I do think gw2 pvp is actually pretty dang good with a lot of nuance once you get the hang of it, but it requires being subjected to the worst, whiniest, pettiest people on the planet. So much learned helplessness.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

ptroll posted:

It's a shame because I do think gw2 pvp is actually pretty dang good with a lot of nuance once you get the hang of it, but it requires being subjected to the worst, whiniest, pettiest people on the planet. So much learned helplessness.

I'm a PvP novice, but I believe it. Although it's an apples-to-orange comparison, I see a lot of learned helplessness in end game PvE, too - this is something Teapot talks about a lot on stream. Without launching into a mega-rant, I feel adding a comprehensive training zone with in-depth tutorials, explanations of mechanics, more access to an in-game DPS meter (things I've mentioned before in the thread), would help a ton.

I think there's a sort of "cliff" where players fall off into oblivion, after steadily gaining strength, thinking they're awesome from blowing through story mode/PvE content/open world, they hit a brick wall in PvE (and it sounds like PvP) where suddenly much more is asked of them, but the game hasn't ramped up their knowledge, or required them to put in significant effort.

There couldn't be a better example than CO CM, which has a DPS check that most new folks are severely unprepared for.

The learned helplessness probably stems from "well, I just coasted before, so why can't I do that now in Boneskinner/OLC/Harvest Temple?" "Well, I just auto attacked my way through story mode, why is this Commander person asking me if I can provide boons?" "What's a sub group?" - you get the idea.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Jedah posted:

I'm a PvP novice, but I believe it. Although it's an apples-to-orange comparison, I see a lot of learned helplessness in end game PvE, too - this is something Teapot talks about a lot on stream. Without launching into a mega-rant, I feel adding a comprehensive training zone with in-depth tutorials, explanations of mechanics, more access to an in-game DPS meter (things I've mentioned before in the thread), would help a ton.

I think there's a sort of "cliff" where players fall off into oblivion, after steadily gaining strength, thinking they're awesome from blowing through story mode/PvE content/open world, they hit a brick wall in PvE (and it sounds like PvP) where suddenly much more is asked of them, but the game hasn't ramped up their knowledge, or required them to put in significant effort.

There couldn't be a better example than CO CM, which has a DPS check that most new folks are severely unprepared for.

The learned helplessness probably stems from "well, I just coasted before, so why can't I do that now in Boneskinner/OLC/Harvest Temple?" "Well, I just auto attacked my way through story mode, why is this Commander person asking me if I can provide boons?" "What's a sub group?" - you get the idea.

it wouldn't, people like that don't actually want to progress 90% of the time, they just want a good excuse

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

p sure a sub group is a club, sandwich

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

WoW literally has an addon that screams at you to move and what to do exactly and people still don't do it and gently caress up, I have little faith that providing more tools in GW2 would help bridge the gap. Or in any game, for the matter

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Y'all have become so jaded! lol, I guess I can't blame you, particularly when joining Dragon's End/Soo Won, and seeing the huge amount of leechers, people who can't/won't follow basic mechanics or instructions, refuse to CC during CC phases, and what a clusterfuck it can be without an awesome organized guild like CHYA leading it.

I guess we can agree to disagree about the addition of training zones, that's okay. At the very least, you gotta admit GW2 goes from 0-1 out of 10 difficulty during the first run through of storymode, to significantly harder once you break into PvP/PvE end game stuff. Shiverpeaks Pass barely counts as end game, I'm talking about HT, OLC, T4 Fractals, Raids - anything where mechanics need to be followed, etc.

Hello Sailor posted:

p sure a sub group is a club, sandwich

New thread title? lmao

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

don't stand directly on top of the fire!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Alwyas reminds me of the (very short lived) requirement of proving grounds silver in order to queue for random heroics in WoW and how well that went.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Oh yeah, they'd have to change the game's reward system, too, and that will never happen.

That's a big reason we see a lack of effort/participation and a willingness to improve. The fact that you can zone in, loiter on a Skyscale, tag the boss, do the absolute bare minimum, then rinse and repeat that process and receive Gold/full credit chests, as much as the person doing 30k+ DPS or providing heals/boons to everybody, or the Commander going above and beyond - that is not good.

The fact that a good Commander who steers the squad towards victory, but doesn't receive any bonus credit is such a missed opportunity. I get why they do it, though, they want to incentivize the maximum amount of players and stimulate those happy brain chemicals when you auto-attack Teq and gets lots of chests popping up as rewards for it.

I'm sure there's a business justification where giving maximum credit for inputting minimum effort keeps people playing and logging in, and since this is a casual MMO, that is definitely not going to change. Now I sound jaded, lol

Jedah fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 6, 2024

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Jedah posted:

Y'all have become so jaded! lol, I guess I can't blame you, particularly when joining Dragon's End/Soo Won, and seeing the huge amount of leechers, people who can't/won't follow basic mechanics or instructions, refuse to CC during CC phases, and what a clusterfuck it can be without an awesome organized guild like CHYA leading it.

I guess we can agree to disagree about the addition of training zones, that's okay. At the very least, you gotta admit GW2 goes from 0-1 out of 10 difficulty during the first run through of storymode, to significantly harder once you break into PvP/PvE end game stuff. Shiverpeaks Pass barely counts as end game, I'm talking about HT, OLC, T4 Fractals, Raids - anything where mechanics need to be followed, etc.

New thread title? lmao

FWIW I am very pro adding more stuff. I would love to use it! I just don't have as much faith in my fellow players, and this is from the POV of someone who, at best, pulls 20-25k dps.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

What IS CCing? I've seen the term and asked about it but still don't understand what's being asked of me.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

StrixNebulosa posted:

What IS CCing? I've seen the term and asked about it but still don't understand what's being asked of me.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Control_effect
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Defiance_bar

Basically there's that 2nd bar under the health bar for a lot of bosses/big enemies. When it's blue you can damage it using stuns/dazes/launches/etc and if you break it something good happens.

e. Skills that do instant defiant bar damage have a Defiance Break listing in their tooltip.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I would wager that the majority of GW2 players don't want a challenge. There's a reason Wildstar flopped.