Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

blows me away every time that our warped housing market thinks thats a better living situation than a thousand square foot apartment

It makes the individual responsible for maintenance of everything instead of shared facilities/walls/a roof that the apartment operator is responsible for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

It would be nice to not have to share walls just for the sound/privacy aspect. If there's a chance that the neighbor's crying baby or loud TV explosion sounds don't intrude into my space that would be pretty cool. Of course they could also just construct apartment buildings with adequate soundproofing and insulation but nah, let's just put houses 6 ft apart, that's efficient. Individual maintenance responsibility can a positive or negative depending on how good your apartment management is, I suppose.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

glad we can all upgrade to individualized micro-hovels

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
There's nothing wrong with that house. Its really nice for $200,000.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

concrete apartments are in my experience relatively quiet

but now they build those wood frame monstrosities

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I rented a condo in a condo building instead of an apartment complex so I could get the extra thick walls

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

There's nothing wrong with that house. Its really nice for $200,000.

They wouldn't build that for $200k

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

blows me away every time that our warped housing market thinks thats a better living situation than a thousand square foot apartment

a thousand square foot apartment is huge. anything decent that size in Minneapolis is like 3 grand a month

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

I looked at my hometown, the closest to $65k were two properties, one at $95k and one at $100k.

Both were just land, no home.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
it's a house micheal, how much could it cost? $65k?

Apr 7, 2003

Here's a nice place for only $67K in the dead coal mining town I grew up in

Sign me the gently caress up

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

The Oldest Man posted:

Who wouldn't want windows from three different neighbors all looking into your bedroom from six feet away

how are there no curtains on any of it

Apr 7, 2003

err posted:

how are there no curtains on any of it

Didn't you see that article from a few days ago? Rich people don't put drapes in their windows anymore.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

the empty pill bottles in the last pic are a nice touch

Apr 7, 2003

Those were the post-cleanup pictures!

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

these are the kinds of houses and backyards I dont understand. I wouldnt want to set foot outside let alone sit in my hot tub

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

mistermojo posted:

these are the kinds of houses and backyards I dont understand. I wouldnt want to set foot outside let alone sit in my hot tub

you just gotta have faith your American neighbor isnt watching ur family with x12 binoculars ready to call the police at a moment's notice

Apr 7, 2003

Hot tubs are for fuckin', everyone knows that. That's just a swingers neighborhood.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mistermojo posted:

Actually has a bunch of mature trees compared to what you normally see in that type of neighborhood so probably reasonably private for a good chunk of the year when those limbs aren't bare.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
we had like a big communal backyard growing up. all the kids would just kind of roam to whatever house's particular corner of it was where bugs or pinecones or whatever fort was happening that day

Mar 5, 2024
Get ya a 6th generation McMansion today! :wotwot: :wal: :suicide:

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I mean this is basically that Twitter poster’s account gimmick. He claims to live in a yurt on federal land and thinks everyone’s spoiled and lazy for not living the free hobo life like him. He makes most of his money on his substack where he shares vans and boats and asks why young men these days lack the gumption to fix them up and live in them.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

we had like a big communal backyard growing up. all the kids would just kind of roam to whatever house's particular corner of it was where bugs or pinecones or whatever fort was happening that day

I have a pet theory that the reason why kids aren't allowed to roam anymore (and the underlying motivation for the various proximate reasons like stranger danger) is that childhood roaming provided a community context separate from the alienated adult life that people entered. The sense of "wrongness" of alienated adult relations only comes if you have experienced something else. Alienation must be a totalizing process or people will rebel against it. So if you want people to be perfectly alienated consumers, you have to rob them of any opportunity to have an experience of group or community like that.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.

I like how the dutch angles help signify the viewer's descent into insanity.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

I have a pet theory that the reason why kids aren't allowed to roam anymore (and the underlying motivation for the various proximate reasons like stranger danger) is that childhood roaming provided a community context separate from the alienated adult life that people entered. The sense of "wrongness" of alienated adult relations only comes if you have experienced something else. Alienation must be a totalizing process or people will rebel against it. So if you want people to be perfectly alienated consumers, you have to rob them of any opportunity to have an experience of group or community like that.

That’s an interesting theory but I think the simpler and more likely explanation is that it’s our generation reacting to the way we were raised by going hard in the opposite direction

In addition to that everything is codified these days and if anything ever happens it immediately goes through the formal legal process so there’s just a lot more liability than there used to be

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

That’s an interesting theory but I think the simpler and more likely explanation is that it’s our generation reacting to the way we were raised by going hard in the opposite direction

In addition to that everything is codified these days and if anything ever happens it immediately goes through the formal legal process so there’s just a lot more liability than there used to be

That would only track if it wasn't a linear downward trend in the range kids go from their houses unaccompanied, percentage of kids walking to school alone, etc. across many, many years starting at least as long ago as the 70s

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

It’s been very revealing moving to the burbs and meeting so many people who are utterly terrified of intruders and thieves despite the fact nothing ever happens in our part of town. Everyone has those home security system thingies that cost like fifty to a hundred bucks a month. I ask them if all that money they’re dumping into the home security system is worth it, and they tell me it’s mostly to protect their daughters and wives from serial killers and rapists. Everyone has plenty of guns on top of that and constantly shares fantasies of blasting limbs off of trespassers and nailing them to trees and other chud tough guy poo poo like that.

It would be funny if it didn’t make everyone paranoid and adversarial towards each other until each side can prove they aren’t a threat (e.g. be white).

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

ProperGanderPusher posted:

It’s been very revealing moving to the burbs and meeting so many people who are utterly terrified of intruders and thieves despite the fact nothing ever happens in our part of town. Everyone has those home security system thingies that cost like fifty to a hundred bucks a month. I ask them if all that money they’re dumping into the home security system is worth it, and they tell me it’s mostly to protect their daughters and wives from serial killers and rapists. Everyone has plenty of guns on top of that and constantly shares fantasies of blasting limbs off of trespassers and nailing them to trees and other chud tough guy poo poo like that.

It would be funny if it didn’t make everyone paranoid and adversarial towards each other until each side can prove they aren’t a threat (e.g. be white).

we live in the low-rent area of our very wealthy county (average home price is probably 200-250k) and the only time we really lock our doors is when we go out of town. we go over to the wealthier areas for the nicer toddler playgrounds, and there was a dude open carrying yesterday. first time I’ve ever seen that in 30 years of living in the area.

Apr 7, 2003

meanolmrcloud posted:

we live in the low-rent area of our very wealthy county (average home price is probably 200-250k) and the only time we really lock our doors is when we go out of town. we go over to the wealthier areas for the nicer toddler playgrounds, and there was a dude open carrying yesterday. first time I’ve ever seen that in 30 years of living in the area.

Nextdoor on that side of the county must be truly magical.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Looks like stills from the Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up music video

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

inside looked actually ok

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

looks perfect as my next airbnb rental. just needs some paint and some new carpet.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

spacemang_spliff posted:

I looked at my hometown, the closest to $65k were two properties, one at $95k and one at $100k.

Both were just land, no home.

I was surprised, I was actually able to find a place for 75k back home - 6000 sq ft. of bare dirt, a stray cinder block and a no trespassing sign. Neighbors are a salvage yard and a boarded up tire shop. This is one of the poorest states in the country and I'd likely take a >50% paycut to move back.

Apr 7, 2003

Hauki posted:

This is one of the poorest states in the country and I'd likely take a >50% paycut to move back.

and this is the actual lesson here - if you can't make it in New York / Los Angeles /St Louis, gently caress you, you deserve garbage, go wallow in the toilet

There is no talk of improving the places like you and I came from. That was left behind in 2016 and no one even pretends to care about that. Just go back to the sewer if you can't make it in The Real World.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

and this is the actual lesson here - if you can't make it in New York / Los Angeles /St Louis, gently caress you, you deserve garbage, go wallow in the toilet

There is no talk of improving the places like you and I came from. That was left behind in 2016 and no one even pretends to care about that. Just go back to the sewer if you can't make it in The Real World.

Ah yes, the three great American metropolises. NY, LA, and St. Louis

Apr 7, 2003

wooooooosh

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

you’re right, and it’s pathetic how hard it is to get people in large cities to give a poo poo

that dumb hillbilly elegy or book a few years ago was popular because it fed into that superiority complex. and it’s not new. it’s just getting worse

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

euphronius posted:

inside looked actually ok

outside looks fine too. OP is a coward for not gentrifying his dead home town

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

House can never go down

if you dont have a house, buy the biggest most expensivest the bank will let you get away with immediately. Do not wait. Youre leaving money on the table bro.

If you have a house, equity out refinance and buy another house. Buy two houses, buy 10 on 3% down loans. It dont matter. You can always just sell a few for a 10% profit if you need cash.

Being the most irresponsible, overleveraged consumer possible has paid off for countless people. Either get on the boat or get run over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

professional staging? who needs it