Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Neil Armbong posted:

This is how a lot of rail freight works? It’s actually really inefficient via when we used to have rail going straight to where freight was needed.

Yeah it’s inefficient and needs to be expanded to be a viable solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Amy Pole Her posted:

BEARS legend? Lmao

If you’re a bears poster I apologize for the obvious joke

I looked up his career and honestly thought he was on the bears for like ten years. I think it was just me starting to watch them right when he got signed and thinking the head pad thing was badass

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JPrime posted:

what's the usual daily range for long haul trucking?

Truckers are allowed to drive 14 hours a day, minus a half hour lunch. If you have 2 drivers and a sleeper cab they just need to fuel up on their individual lunch breaks and they can swap every 12 hours and can drive for either 6 or 7 days straight before there's a mandatory 24 hour break from driving under current regulations in America.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Oh wow, that's way simpler than what we would do.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_bong

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Did she not believe in the angle deflection against 120mm shells on a Soviet Object 268 in War Thunder?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Air Skwirl posted:

Peasants!
https://grav.com/products/grav-monarch-gravity-bong

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

300 mile range is poo poo for shipping. I have a daily trip we call the Portland trip because it comes from Portland, but it actually starts in SLC.

I could quote you the specific ranges and market breakups for the U.S., but I'd probably get in trouble with work :v: But yes, there will be different solutions for different use-cases, and beyond just how big the cab is.

Air Skwirl posted:

Truckers are allowed to drive 14 hours a day, minus a half hour lunch. If you have 2 drivers and a sleeper cab they just need to fuel up on their individual lunch breaks and they can swap every 12 hours and can drive for either 6 or 7 days straight before there's a mandatory 24 hour break from driving under current regulations in America.

Day-cabs and local/regional haul will be one thing, the 500+ long-haul will either require megawatt charging or hydrogen. And megawatt charging and battery sizes/ranges for those vehicles have targeted drivers' legal break times and periods (eg a 1-hour break every 4/5 hours) as the premise for those real long-haul uses (eg, you don't need 500 miles if there's a break in the day and you can charge fully in that window). There will also have to be some adjustment to how people use trucks, too - diesel is a hard technology to replace when you're talking about pure range.

for smaller trucks (light duty through medium duty) that don't do this long-haul, and don't do multiple shifts of driving, it'll be much easier to have trucks charge where they park 'overnight' and so long as you have 6-8 hours of break time, you can fill that battery. The design of the vehicles will allow for that to meet the life expectation of truck owners now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Canned Sunshine posted:

Besides Burnin' Sherman, did we actually rip out railroad track? I just assumed that we're using a lot of the original alignments, just replaced over time, and the lines that that aren't in use were just abandoned?

Not railroad track specifically, but here in Philly there's quite a few spots where they just paved over trolley lines, you can still see them popping up in spots as well as some overhead trolley cables. To be fair, trolleys still run in certain parts of the city just not the white ones lmao.

Docjowles posted:

Reasonable rail service was one of the biggest things I liked about the Boston area. People bitch about the T and for good reason but at least it exists. Being able to get all over the city and a surprisingly large swathe of suburbia without a car was pretty dope. Hell you could take Amtrak all the way to Maine.

Same but for SEPTA here. It is pretty outdated in spots but the six months right before COVID when I was taking commuter rail out to the suburbs for work, instead of being made to drive on poo poo-rear end I-76, loving ruled.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
It's too bad Nikola was run by either incompetents or outright scam artists, because hydrogen trucks driving around Europe with fueling stations on the main routes made a lot of sense. I guess the capital outlay is too much for something that speculative.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Shell is closing like all of their hydrogen fueling stations in California so that poo poo will never take off here.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

swickles posted:

I still think the real trick, and honestly the only way we get to a large majority of people using electric vehicles is when batteries become standardized and able to be hot swapped. Like pull into a station, its get jacked up, old battery removed and new one put in, then drive off. It would have to take as long as a refueling and be about as much cost wise. You could even retrofit gas stations to do it. Problem is that requires buy in from competitors, plus all of them working toward a common goal and technology. Its just a lot easier to say gently caress them kids and roll with it.

There was a technology my friend's dad came up with where you have a charged liquified hydrogen slurry be your battery, and when it's exhausted it's sucked out and replaced with new slurry. Retrofitting gas stations would be relatively easy and would take about the same amount of time to pump gasoline into a car.

Exxon Mobile bought the patents and have been sitting on it for years, letting the EV market try to work with what's currently being used… with predictable results.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I just saw a Billy Mays commercial on TV. Dude’s been dead for nearly 15 years, I guess they can recycle some of them still, but it was still briefly a mindfuck.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh my god aquaman 2 looks terrible

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Long haul electrification is a weird thing to target for so many companies when there are piles of short haul routes for trucks of all classes that would take years to replace anyway.

Shocked some startup hasn't sold "transit as a service" where they sell solar, storage and insurance of a small fleet of sprinter/transit sized vans to local businesses as an all-in predictable monthly fee, collecting the tax breaks for themselves.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

This was more college/right after college for me and I can immediately see the strippers my brother sublet his room in our apartment too. They went on Jerry Springer a few week after moving out.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I accidentally over served myself on edibles before going to the pool today and fell asleep in the shade for like 3 hours. Woke up to my old man handing me a beer saying "wondered where you've been"

A+ afternoon.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Nappin in the sun what a good day

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

Nappin in the sun what a good day

no, napping in the sun gets your sunburnt, BlindSite had it right to do it in the shade.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I'm impervious to sunburns so my superior body thrives on sleeping in the sun

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

Long haul electrification is a weird thing to target for so many companies when there are piles of short haul routes for trucks of all classes that would take years to replace anyway.

Shocked some startup hasn't sold "transit as a service" where they sell solar, storage and insurance of a small fleet of sprinter/transit sized vans to local businesses as an all-in predictable monthly fee, collecting the tax breaks for themselves.

Short-haul is the first target in the U.S., both stuff you do and don’t need a CDL for. But Europe and the EU specifically have metaphorical guns aimed at OEMs with sold fleet targets that have very stiff penalties if not met. Such that it makes expensive EV/Hydrogen development feasible.

“Truck as a service” is definitely something people are talking about, how to bundle the charger and vehicle too is definitely out there.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

FizFashizzle posted:

There is no reason to even bother watching it

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nodoze posted:

There is no reason to even bother watching it

Oh for sure, but I meant literally.

Like it looks like an episode of Babylon 5.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

If I can just find time to get my car inspected today, I will have accomplished the holy grail of adulthood: a completed to do list.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kalli posted:

Oh yeah, all over the place. Land reclaimed to be built on, or hell just biking / walking paths in more affluent areas.

For example, when i bought my house in 2010, a mile and a half chunk of this path was most of my walk to work:

https://brucefreemanrailtrail.org/

Well, that’s somewhat/relatively unfortunate. I mean, land reclamation from human use is usually something I’d be behind, but not so sure about railroad tracks…

FizFashizzle posted:

I’ll be the lone voice probably to say that I enjoyed it. It’s a terrible movie, but in terms of being able to just go in and shut my brain off for a few hours and see flashy poo poo, it’s ok.

It’s no Starship Troopers though, believe you me…

Edit:

FizFashizzle posted:

‘Woah woah woah, let’s not say bad things about B5.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

FizFashizzle posted:

This is unfortunately a problem that is not exclusive to Aquaman 2 lol

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

FizFashizzle posted:

Now I want to watch it!
And heck, I liked the first one quite a bit despite an overwhelming CGI fight at the end. Had a lot of good character moments and actual emotions.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I was entertained by Aquaman & the Lost Kingdom but in no way was it good.

I'm going to listen to The Rewatchables episode on Road House at work today in preparation of seeing the new Jake Gyllenhaal film that's coming out soon.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Quiet Feet posted:

If I can just find time to get my car inspected today, I will have accomplished the holy grail of adulthood: a completed to do list.

Don’t forget one item:

* Make new To-do list

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

trevorreznik posted:

Now I want to watch it!
And heck, I liked the first one quite a bit despite an overwhelming CGI fight at the end. Had a lot of good character moments and actual emotions.

That's kind of the problem with this one. Sure the CGI is bad, but the characters are worse.

Shazam 2 has a similar problem, but at least in that movie everyone except Zachary Levi is likeable enough.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Patrick Wilson must be miffed that he was one of the best parts in the best superhero movie outside of The Winter Soldier and yet nobody really cared about it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, I'm watching Aquaman 2 and I just really feel bad for Nicole Kidman.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Patrick Wilson must be miffed that he was one of the best parts in the best superhero movie outside of The Winter Soldier and yet nobody really cared about it

The director's cut of Watchmen is excellent and I re-watch it on a yearly basis. Can't stand the Ultimate Edition, though (the Black Freighter segment brings the whole thing to a screeching halt).

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Voted uncommitted around noon and I was the 68th person at that location according to the vote reading machine. We're right at the tipping point between dark blue and dark red, which makes me curious to see who else bothered to turn up and for what.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Yeah I showed up to vote for one of the joke candidates since there was no Uncommitted option here. Idk why I bothered, just felt like I should.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

yeah, voted uncommitted this morning as well. Very dead, no baked goods for sale at the school gym I vote at. Disappointment.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

I am sad to say I did this out of a toilet in college

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

kiimo posted:

I am sad to say I did this out of a toilet in college

Jesus, we used the sink.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I wasn't in charge of logistics all I brought to the situation was my lungs and bad decision making

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
lol WHY on earth use the toilet when a sink is right there, or a bathtub, or any bucket......auughh!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
we would use one of those counter top tea pitchers with the spout at the bottom or had a dedicated bucket. the tea pitcher hit like a mofo.