Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

webmeister posted:

Vapes loving stink. Not as bad as cigarettes, sure, but I like being able to walk out of a building without copping a noseful of ~~FRESH GUAVA ICE~~ or hubba bubba or whatever the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Eh, "I think we should just get tough on vapes and say no to vapes" is the boomer "I think we should just get tough on drugs say no to drugs" for millennials.

I'm perfectly happy legalising drat near any drug you care to name.

I'd also like to remove tobacco, vapes and alcohol from casual sale because of the sheer levels of harm they do to those who use them and the people around them.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm perfectly happy legalising drat near any drug you care to name.

I'd also like to remove tobacco, vapes and alcohol from casual sale because of the sheer levels of harm they do to those who use them and the people around them.

After working at a rehab 100% - I’ve really reduced how much I drink after seeing what long term alcohol usage does to people - the thiamine deficiency and onset of Korsakoffs or WKS is really hectic.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Recoome posted:

After working at a rehab 100% - I’ve really reduced how much I drink after seeing what long term alcohol usage does to people - the thiamine deficiency and onset of Korsakoffs or WKS is really hectic.

Unless you are drinking a bottle of whisky a day I guarantee you the higher risk for causing thiamine deficiency is your diet

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Greens fire first election salvo with $12b housing policy

A new federal housing department would build 360,000 affordable homes over five years for people to buy or rent at a net cost of $12.5 billion, under a hugely ambitious housing policy the Greens will take to the next election.

The Greens’ proposal, which will be announced by its housing spokesman, Max Chandler-Mather, during a debate with Property Council of Australia boss Mike Zorbas at the National Press Club on Wednesday, is the party’s first major policy announcement for the next federal poll, due by May 2025.

The Greens have been pressuring Labor over its housing policies in a bid to connect with younger voters who will also be targeted by the opposition’s new assistant spokesman for housing affordability, Andrew Bragg.

The NSW senator, who was appointed to the role on Tuesday, promised the Coalition would also be releasing ambitious policies to increase the supply of homes without amending tax rules on negative gearing and capital gains tax discount.

“For younger and aspirational Australians, this is the number one issue and so we’ll have tangible options that can get people into houses,” Bragg said in an interview.

“We’ve always been the party of home ownership going back to [Robert] Menzies and I think the challenge is now very acute because of the constrained supply and the emergence of compulsory super.

Under the Greens’ plan, property developers would stand to make $2.2 billion in the first five years of the scheme alone to manage and maintain the properties, and billions more building them.

Seventy per cent of the homes would be rented out, with a fifth of those reserved for the lowest income earners. Rent would be set at 25 per cent of the national average household income, with that money flowing back to the government.

The other 30 per cent of homes would be sold to owner-occupiers at 5 per cent over the cost of procurement. The houses could only be sold back to the government, at cost price plus inflation.

If Labor was only able to form minority government with the help of the crossbench after the next election, the Greens would have a strong chance of retaining a share of the balance of power in both houses of parliament, putting them in the box seat to negotiate for some form of this proposal to be enacted.

Chandler-Mather said the cost of the scheme would be partially offset by scrapping $27 billion in tax breaks for property investors.

“The Greens’ public developer would save an average renter participating in the program $5200 a year on their rent, and an average first home buyer participating in the program $260,000 on the price of a home, by cutting out the profit margin and building good-quality homes for people, the way governments used to,” he will say in his speech.

“Relying on private developers to tackle the housing crisis is like relying on Coles and Woolworths not to rip you off.”

The Greens would seek the waiving of state, territory and local government taxes on the properties, 20 per cent of which would be houses, 20 per cent townhouses, 50 per cent medium density and 10 per cent high rise and density, spread around Australia.

After the first five years of the scheme, another 50,000 homes a year would be built for the next five years, bringing the total net cost to the budget over 10 years to $27.89 billion for 610,000 homes.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/greens-fire-first-election-salvo-with-12b-housing-policy-20240305-p5f9z3.html

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Unless you are drinking a bottle of whisky a day I guarantee you the higher risk for causing thiamine deficiency is your diet

isnt that what cats get

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
It's like everytime someone says 'vaping is bad' an idiot with a head full of nicotine barges in with half assed studies about how vaping is totally cool. As if we're gonna fall for that the second time around big tobacco.

Your lungs are not supposed to be used to absorb anything other then oxygen, jamming chemicals into those membranes is bad. It will lead to cancer. Full stop.

Should we ban it? Sure. But treat it like the health issue it is. There's a vape shop on every corner and they are actively selling to children. Those children are addicted to nicotine and start going through withdrawals within an hour. It is harming their health. It is harming their education.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

You can tell how out of touch the Auspol thread is when you’re all still calling it vaping instead of the proper term, breathing the sweet nectar of liberty. smdh and furthermore lol, just lol

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
albo referred to the ICC for warcrimes lol

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Konomex posted:

Your lungs are not supposed to be used to absorb anything other then oxygen

what about technetium?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Recoome posted:

Grew up with an alcoholic for a father, with everything that comes with it. Saw all I needed of what alcohol does to a person before I was five.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also holy shot I can’t believe those Extinction Rebellion protesters were gaoled in Melbourne during an evening session. Victoria really pining for the Queensland under ol’ Joh experience.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Three whole weeks.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

"Mild, modest, and almost inadequate" given the maximum penalty could be up to five years.

Love to hear that from the magistrate. I'm being entirely reasonable because I could be overreacting much harder you see.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

All the Melburnians returning from Queensland post-COVID bring with them the same yearning for the boot of authoritarianism that the North has.

Anyone for pumpkin scones???

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

yeah, if i had to go to queensland i'd want others to suffer as well.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
NT police minister defends sharing Facebook posts quoting Hitler general, anti-Black Lives Matter comments

quote:

Northern Territory Police Minister Brett Potter says he didn't "ever agree" with social media posts he shared on his Facebook profile up to 11 years ago.

One of the posts, shared in 2016, quoted Nazi Field Marshal Erwin Rommel saying: "In the absence of orders go find something and kill it".

In another post, he re-shared a video in which a right-wing commentator "destroys Black Lives Matter … with simple logic".

A third post shared by a relative tagging Mr Potter uses a racial slur.

The revelations, made on Wednesday by the NT Independent, come amid an ongoing discussion about level of racism in the Northern Territory Police Force, of which Mr Potter is the minister.

Chief Minister Eva Lawler on Tuesday told ABC Radio Darwin she was concerned about racism more broadly in the NT community, describing it as "abhorrent".

She said she was particularly concerned with social media.

In a statement on Wednesday, Ms Lawler stood by the police minister, and said the posts "do not reflect the Brent Potter of today".

"Around a decade ago — years before he got into politics — Brent Potter reposted controversial content on his social media account that he now regrets," she said.

"Many young people who have grown up in the social media era have posted or reposted things they regret.

"I have said it before there is no room for racism in the territory."

Mr Potter also defended the posts, and said sharing them did not mean he agreed with their contents.

"These reposts on Facebook were between eight and 10 years ago when I was in my 20s, and do not define my views on any subject," he said.

"As a Defence veteran, who served for 15 years, I used social media as a way to connect with others who have been through similar experiences and that included sharing military-themed cynical and satirical humour that would not be understood by those who haven't served.

"In my 20s, I, like many people that age, have done things on social media that I regret and I would never do again with the benefit of hindsight."

I don’t disagree people change and regret poo poo they did but I’m pretty sure he did agree with the posts at that time, and it was in his 20s not when he was 14. So it might be 8-10 years but how much will his politics really have changed? I bet he says that poo poo behind closed doors.

I’d think going into politics you might remove those types of things from your history before it becomes a national news story. The NT - which I’ve never visited - seems like such a loving mess of poverty and racism.

Also lol that the “facts and logic” video is little Ben Shapiro

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

DRINK ME posted:

NT police minister defends sharing Facebook posts quoting Hitler general, anti-Black Lives Matter comments

I don’t disagree people change and regret poo poo they did but I’m pretty sure he did agree with the posts at that time, and it was in his 20s not when he was 14. So it might be 8-10 years but how much will his politics really have changed? I bet he says that poo poo behind closed doors.

I’d think going into politics you might remove those types of things from your history before it becomes a national news story. The NT - which I’ve never visited - seems like such a loving mess of poverty and racism.

Also lol that the “facts and logic” video is little Ben Shapiro

I feel like being tagged in a post that uses a racial slur isn't really that person's fault and could have been missed.

The other two though... :godwin:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ProfTerryHughes/status/1765119163067199854

this good?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

as they say in the climate doom thread

lol
lmao

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

When I come home drunk and reeking of vape and my wife is still up

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Thinking about those new suburbs far from the coast and the cool sea breeze. Could be in Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne whatever. Concrete and black roofs crammed together. Not a tree or even a lawn for miles. Just absolutely loving roasting in the summer. And then the air conditioning stops cause the power goes out.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9PZevNcplo

Thread:

https://x.com/MChandlerMather/status/1765141388184920447?s=20

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
lol

Content: how does he expect a bunch of nerds to manage the complex systems of kickbacks to organised crime and cash payments to suppliers that make the construction industry tick?

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 6, 2024

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I know it's just a nice white shirt with a mic pinned to it by my first thought was why the gently caress is max wearing a chef's jacket

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
APS property development manager: hm yes you see there is a wage cap for this year precluding increases above 3% and therefore...

Roko "Rex aka Mad Dog" Bilic, CFMEU delegate: do you want to die today, oval office?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I know it's just a nice white shirt with a mic pinned to it by my first thought was why the gently caress is max wearing a chef's jacket

because hes cooking

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
When the alternative to peaceful protest for blocking half a road for 30 minutes is 3 weeks immediately jail the alternative is violent protest for 3 minutes and 3 years in jail.

If I get killed during one of these events, please blame the Government. Because this poo poo is inevitable.

Eventually it gets to the point of either being late and go to jail or violent revolution and go to jail (if you fail). More than 1 government has fallen over that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Probably because they did it in one of the tighest security situations in melbourne as far as I can remember.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/asean-summit-explained-the-meeting-thats-brought-nine-world-leaders-to-melbourne/g67v2mz6z

Cops and beefy guys in suits and wires were everywhere over the city while the summit was going on.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

This is good policy and has the added benefit of a bunch of dipshits on Twitter getting mad at him

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

be even cooler if they were 200-meter wide octagons

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
That's way too large for a family

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bucky Fullminster posted:

be even cooler if they were 200-meter wide octagons

And vape free zones

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Two families enter the octagon but only one survives. Public housing sponsored by sports bet.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
"stupid white bastard"???????????????

war on terf island now.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Solemn Sloth posted:

war on terf island now.

hambeet is a cop????

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Solemn Sloth posted:

war on terf island now.

context mate

Matildas captain Sam Kerr called a police officer “a stupid white bastard” during a dispute over a taxi fare last year, UK newspaper The Sun has reported.

Kerr, who has pleaded not guilty and is fighting to have a charge of racially harassing the police officer thrown out of court, was reported to have been sick in the cab after a night out and is then alleged to have unleashed the slur when police arrived.

Britpol your cops are weak as piss

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Solemn Sloth posted:

war on terf island now.

Wait, a cop is using a minor infraction to harass an indigenous person? That can't be right, surely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
“As a defence veteran ... I used social media as a way to connect ... that included sharing military-themed cynical and satirical humour that would not be understood by those who haven’t served.”

Truly, one must have served to understand cynicism and satire.

EDIT: Lmao, white bastard is a slur, oh my god.