Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

esquilax posted:

When Project Zomboid was initially released into Early Access, it was set 18 years in the past (2011->1993). It has now been in early access for 13 years, with no release in sight.

TeaJay posted:

Also, three years is nothing for early access, like someone mentioned, Project Zomboid, which is still probably close to best in slot for the genre.

I say this mostly just for laughs, but maybe it's worth mentioning that Project Zomboid has been in "Early Access" since before the term "Early Access" was even officially coined. Just good old alpha and beta versions before Steam came out with "EA" and then PZ threw it on there too. I mean it call it whatever, I just think it's funny in perspective.

Maybe someone was throwing around the term EA in that context earlier, I don't know. But before that if someone was talking about an "EA videogame" it was probably because it was made by the company Electronic Arts, lol.

Anyhow, PZ is a good game though!

LordSloth posted:

Card Survival: Tropical Island [...] There’s a seven day demo.

7DTD (7 Days To Demo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

It limits the duration of your forays, so that to progress, you have to play well enough to clear sites on the first or second try. It’s a way of making dying costly for the player. Whether that’s a good idea or not is up to the player preferences.

Okay you've actually convinced me it's a good mechanic lol, I don't usually have extended adventures so I've not felt the limitations due to durability, but I can see how it would add benefit.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Yeah one of the challenges of a survival game is motivating the loop. There has to be a reason to go out and a reason to come home. This is doubly important in a game like valheim or enshrouded where you don't starve to death without food. If your stuff didn't break you could definitely get into situations where you were out of food (and thus at a health/regen disadvantage) but not being explicitly incentivized to go home and fix it.

Enshrouded also seems to only limit your inventory by space and not weight, as far as I've seen, with encumberance being another common game mechanic that motivates the player to return to base and unburden themselves.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

bandit camps usually have an anvil or two you can repair your gear on as well

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I prefer space over weight based inventory in these games. Though Conan just lets you ignore encumbrance with a perk, which is really nice if you're an obsessive hoarder of resources like me. 7 Days does the space method really well. You exceed it but you start slowing down a little more each time you exceed it. Its better than having 1 gram more than you can carry and its like you're dragging a bus behind you. Sunkenland does that too. Both you can expand using perks and/or mods and backpacks.

Survival crafting games are the one place I don't mind durability, because normally I hate it (gently caress you Breath of the wild, Nintendo you ruined an amazing game by making every weapon break after 4 usages forcing me to use sticks through most of the game). Ditto eating and drinking. Love going from prepping super simple meat over a fire to legit good looking dinners. I don't like when those get drained super fast. One of the reasons it took be forever to get into 7 days was early on your food and water gets drained super quickly and its like you're eating 10k calories a day just wondering around because if you run it drains your hunger super quickly.

I don't like it when repairing stuff takes almost as much resources as it cost to make. Something simple, like having the base material or a generic repair kit is the best way to do it. Sunkenland currently has a repair station that repairs everything for free too. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes the standard for more casual games. You just need to go home to repair.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing Sons of the Forest with a friend and enjoyed it despite some oddities, bugs and design choices. They polished the game quite a bit since the rocky early access start, and moved a lot of stuff and added new stuff to make it feel fresh.

There's some changes I didn't like I have still yet to find a new outfit for Virginia, seeing her waddle around in every weather in a bathing suit is one of those "This game I play sure was made by gamers" type of moments and one that definitely spiced up the game moving the golden armor to the cultist cave, I don't actually remember if the cave itself was new, or just the interior, but it definitely was a lot more interesting than in EA

I am glad however I took the building damage off, because there's quite a few raids and only now we're starting to have the right tools to get rid of the enemies fast. Can only imagine how much damage they'd have done otherwise. Them spawning inside our walled off enclosure is kinda unnecessary, could even be a bug, kinda would like that didn't happen.

Coming from Enshrouded the building is kind of bare bones, but it is what it is. One thing I don't like is how you need to meticulously skim through the recipe book one page at a time looking for the right recipe. Why can't I see more of them at a time? Why can I never remember which page has which recipe? Frankly, that system is terrible.

There are some oddities like the torch being the best source of light, but you can't hold a torch and a melee weapon at the same time, since both occupy your right hand. Torch doesn't count as a lighting tool like the lighter or the flashlight which go in the left hand.

I kinda remember that in the first game the cannibals were a lot more realistic in the sense that they didn't immediately start to antagonize you. They'd come about, watch you, and leave you if you didn't hunt them. At least for a while. Here, they are your enemies immediately. The small gollums will harass you and as soon as you get some gear or progress (don't know what it's actually tied with) the tribes will come and they want you DEAD. We took the normal game option without changing settings, so I dunno if there are some options regarding their hostility levels.

Sometimes you are just so thirsty...

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Honestly, the way people keep talking about Enshrouded, I think it's the game I'm looking for.

I know it's hard to quantify, but how much content is there currently? I get the impression that it's something like a Valheim situation where it peters out, but that's okay with me. Does it have about as much to do as Valheim had at launch? Significantly less?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

They actually changed the cannibal behavior for 1.0 to make them very aggressive until you start slaughtering their camps and patrols.
I wholly agree it was better when it felt like you were a curiosity to them and they were trying to goad you in to a fight. I don't like how they are handled now, somewhat.

Agreed about the book building nonsense. It's so clumsy and slow.

Eiba posted:

Honestly, the way people keep talking about Enshrouded, I think it's the game I'm looking for.

I know it's hard to quantify, but how much content is there currently? I get the impression that it's something like a Valheim situation where it peters out, but that's okay with me. Does it have about as much to do as Valheim had at launch? Significantly less?

I got 100 hours in to it with building two large bases and clearing every currently available mission. It's good!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

There's quite a bit, but you do get some repeating content the further you go - not that much variety on enemies or enemy camps. It bothered me only in the end though, and the more you like building, the less it will bother you in general. IF you do like building, Enshrouded is your best bet right now, along with Valheim, it has the best building system. But for an EA game Enshrouded feels quite finished, it's not very buggy and new content should be easy enough to add.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Eiba posted:

There's a good amount of map and quests and POIs but it doesn't change much as you get into new biomes. The monster diversity is super lacking and while there are a few different combat styles (1h, 2h, bow, magic) they are either samey (magic and bow) or just not viable (2h is garbage). Building is great but barely incentivized and loot doesn't feel super good. Skill tree is cool even if they nerfed the regen aura.

It's fun and good but also rough and early. I enjoyed the first look and I'll be happy to play it again when it's more complete and polished.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Eiba posted:

They're close to what I'm into. I'd never heard of Green Hell, but I've seen some gameplay from the Forest and Sons of the Forest. Honestly, I really didn't like the cannibal aesthetic. That's a really un-cozy way of depicting humans to me. I'm okay with like skeletons or goblins or like... rear end in a top hat bandits maybe as enemies. "Primitive" people just being monsters is kinda gross to me. I guess the cannibals in the Forest are mutated in some way? Still not into that, even if I might otherwise like exploring the world and building a little base.

I don't know if they actually explain the background on the cannibals in SOTF (still working through the story), but the impression I get is they're regular modern people that were on the island and warped/mutated by the thing you're trying to figure out in the story.

Also I found the more I play the more I end up just like the cannibals on the island as I slowly get nudged towards the lifestyle by how easy it is to get into and it just gets normalized. The more you're immersed on the island the less taboo the whole cannibalism thing becomes. The cannibals aren't "primitive", they're just using the easiest and most abundant resource they have to survive. They are still murderous assholes though, I wish there was a way to at least stay neutral with them. It's a neat little layer to the game and the enemies I didn't really expect going in.

Day 1: Oh poo poo there are cannibals and they're wearing bones and weird pink armor! That's weird and gross, I'll just hunt or have Kelvin catch me fish no need for that!
Day 5: gently caress I need some armor to survive. Well, I do get a poo poo ton of bones by burning bodies and I can make a lot of armor with those...
Day 7: Man those creatures in the cave can be harvested for great armor, no crafting needed! Guess I'm wearing bones and weird pink armor now too oh well
Day 10: Well the cannibals are attacking me a bunch now, maybe if I just put some heads on a stick to scare them away they'll be intimidated and leave me alone?
Day 20: Hunting small animals is getting old, I mean gently caress it there's a ton of people attacking me and I have a bunch of bodies just laying around. No one's going to judge me here, everyone is a cannibal anyways it's no big deal.
Day 40 [Covered head to toe in pink mutant body parts]: 6am. Time to wake up, chop up the bodies of my enemies, and get Greg ready for the day! Greg is made in the cooking pot with two arms, two legs, and a head.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah my impression of Enshrouded went from "Woah this is amazing!" to "This needs more time" extremely quickly. I think it has a great base but needs a lot of time. Luckily I think what it needs feels like things that easier to fix than "Game fundamentally feels off/high level design sucks" - It needs some extra variety and just more meat, some things need fixing like certain types of combat but ultimately nothing was in it that felt like it was directionally incorrect.

I don't regret the purchase and I'll probably be pleasantly surprised when I remember it in a year or two.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

The building system in enshrouded is great. I built a house and then built a basement underneath it, which is something I really wished I could do in Valheim. My buddy made a giant mountain mansion with a significant basement but he had to dig it all out first. It was really effortless to get this to work and I like how natural it looks while its a work in progress.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Spanish Matlock posted:

The building system in enshrouded is great. I built a house and then built a basement underneath it, which is something I really wished I could do in Valheim. My buddy made a giant mountain mansion with a significant basement but he had to dig it all out first. It was really effortless to get this to work and I like how natural it looks while its a work in progress.

You can cheat dig by placing down blocks into the ground and then removing them. It'll leave a hole rather than refilling it with whatever was there.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Spanish Matlock posted:

You can use the terrain tool and right click to delete dirt and rock. Save your sweat for something else!

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 5, 2024

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Yeah my impression of Enshrouded went from "Woah this is amazing!" to "This needs more time" extremely quickly.

I actually sort of resent the demo because what's there is so good, but what you don't realize is that demo represents a very large portion of what is in the game. It's like finishing the undead asylum in Dark Souls and realizing later that hollow inmates and that one undead soldier represent all of enemy types you'll be seeing.

What's there IS quite good. But playing it right now is just going to be frustrating because it really isn't done yet.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

victrix posted:

Does it have a (half decent) story with an ending? I don't play the sandbox ones solo unless friends are dragging me in for mp

I can't really comment on the back half because the segment where you reenact the current thread title by fighting a bear with a spear kinda threw me out. It has a good aesthetic and concept, but IMO it suffers from wolves and the spoilered story beat, which was obnoxious enough that I haven't gone back to it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Going back to Sons of the Forest has been great because of the new enemy types.

I was out trying to spear a fish when I heard glass shattering and a cannibal ran at me while on fire.
Only later when I saw that unit again did I realize they do it on purpose.

They've also done a good job redoing some of the caves because the chamber right before you get the shovel has a new mutant type and it scared the piss out of me at first.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is the system by which cannibals escalate the attacks on you a little less annoying or catastrophic or does it still culminate in 99999999 mega mutants smashing everything you own

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Verviticus posted:

is the system by which cannibals escalate the attacks on you a little less annoying or catastrophic or does it still culminate in 99999999 mega mutants smashing everything you own

Uhhhh it can get pretty rough but their AI isn't so great that they can't be tricked by an old fashioned killbox.
Putting out loads of reinforced sharpened sticks is plenty to keep the riffraff at bay.

The big ones still need to be dealt with but a crossbow bolt to the dome downs pretty much everyone.

I have yet to play with the advanced traps or electric fence but I bet they give you a lot of breathing room.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
There’s a lot going on in Forever Skies since January, but there’s only one thing that matters:

Feb 15 patch notes posted:

QOL Improvement: Inventory Management

Your inventory, storage boxes, and freezers have had a couple of new functions added to make moving items around easier than ever.

Store All - This will remove all items currently in your inventory and move them into the storage box/freezer that you’re interacting with.

Take All - This will move all items in that Storage Box or Freezer into your Inventory.

Sort - This one is self-explanatory, it will sort all of your items so slots are more organized and will group stacks of the same item together.

Store Similar - This function is useful when you have a Storage Box for a specific resource. It will remove the item or resource out of your inventory that matches the item or resource that’s already in the Storage Box, meaning you don’t have to comb through your inventory to find that stack of Machine Parts you want to store. It can be done at the click of a button once you interact with your Machine Parts Storage Box.

Thank loving god

THANK loving GOD

PS beta test branch maybe. Probably standard tho, since I’m reading those notes so late

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 6, 2024

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I’m still early in Sons of The Forest, but I just laid down a flyswatter trap at my camp entrance and that thing is a loving killing machine. I don’t even see the cannibals approach anymore, I just hear a little twig snap and a bunch of body parts roll into camp.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Enshrouded might be one of the best survival crafting games I've played, up there with Subnautica and Minecraft for me. Excited to see where the game goes with updates, but honestly all I want is more decorative clutter options to make my base as cozy as possible.

The building system is absolutely incredible, you're free to build just about anything you can imagine with the very solid palette of blocks and you can get absurdly granular with your builds using the single block tool. I had a ton of fun designing custom windows and fireplaces.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah! I think it needs more enemy types, weapons types/variants and little bits of tweaking here and there but the foundation is excellent.

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010
last night i hit credits in grounded so i wanted to write up a review of it

consensus: really really good! i recommend this to basically anyone remotely interested in the survival genre. i think the premise is both novel and well-executed and the experience of playing it is very polished. this is some of the most i've enjoyed simply moving around and fighting in a survival game. we — i played co-op with one friend the entire time — didn't spend an enormous amount of time building out our compound and it definitely wasn't the prettiest base i've ever made in one of these types of games but i found the building system to be among the best in the genre.

pictured: our heinous mass transit tower built so we could easily ascend and zipline across the yard.

i want to note also that a huge patch/update released when we were playing that smoothed out many of the issues that we had up to that point, especially around combat. i know in this thread there's been discussion that the combat was too hard (which i definitely agreed w/ in 1.2) but it felt MUCH better after the update. we ended up doing literally all the content in the game except for the final superboss (the infected broodmother) and i found that the strength progression was really fun, parry/blocking was satisfying, and in general i enjoyed myself

the good: the writing really grew on me. i initially really chafed against having chatty player characters when i'm going to be in vc with my buddy the entire time but the characters are so charming that i didn't even really mind how often they'd repeat themselves. the story is also pretty good; i laughed out loud a few times at burg.l's dialogue and some of tully's recordings. theres some great understated elements (he named his kids sarah and thor? really???) and i think the game does an awesome job with environmental storytelling regarding the various landmarks around the yard and how it relates to the inhabitants (both full-sized and tiny!). still dont know why rash from battletoads is buried in one corner of the yard but i'll cope

less good but i think the pacing of the main story quests is kinda lacking. theres probably half the map that is fully optional if you only explore around main quest objectives. it kinda has that stink of being an early access title in that regard; i don't play any early access game until it releases after being burned by ark so i have no idea how updates rolled out for grounded but if i had to guess i'd assume that nearly everything in the upper yard was added very close to or at final release. i just think this is a shame because the parts that you aren't guided to are some of the most interesting to explore. i suppose you could turn this around and say that the game really rewards wandering off the beaten path, which it totally does

also phenomenal IMO is the art direction. i think this is one of the best looking games i've ever played. there were more than enough times where i just stopped dead in my tracks because i noticed, for example, how the light diffuses through blades of grass and how it alters the ambient light in the room. i would get owned by bugs because i was just so enamored by how cute they are that i didnt stop them from mauling me. i would climb objects for the hell of it so i could get a better view of the area. it was a delight to unlock new armor and weapons because i wanted to see what creative new outfits our little guys made.

pictured: our guys in our endgame setup

less good is um. if you know very much about insects and arachnids this game will annoy the hell out of you because none of the bugs act like they should, in really glaring ways. ants attack and kill aphids on site; wolf spiders have nests; orbweavers actively leave their nests to patrol and hunt. the black widows and two spiny orbweaver bosses live in funnel webs. it's in the name!!! they weave orbs!!! not funnels!!!!! additionally there are fire ants but this is allegedly set in maine and i think that is way too cold of a climate for fire ants to survive but i'm definitely not an expert

something also that i think is unfortunate is that there's some pretty bad enemy reskinning in the last third of the game. the ants are whatever (i think they probably could have dropped red ants and just had fire ants/black ants/termites esp since theres nothing different between red and black ants but their amount of hp) but i think the ladybird and ladybird larva are a crime. they feel like totally unnecessary replacements of the ladybug and larva that are SO much more annoying to deal with and are totally swarming their parts of the yard. could delete them and nobody would notice. it's not even like the upper yard is lacking in insect diversity, because it really isn't! there's like six or seven different bugs unique to that area! also there are bugs that are in general really underutilized, like the fireflies and the moth

if i have a more minor complaint i think the pet system sucks. i'm surprised you can keep pets at all because it feels like such an afterthought. IMO a huge part of the fantasy of being two inches tall is like, taming a grasshopper and riding it as your mount, and there's nothing like at all in this game. let me joust on the back of a mosquito god drat it. yes i know about smalland and im probably going to play it soon

so there is one MAJOR issue with grounded and it's the netcode. it's terrible. from the host end the menus to host a multiplayer session are confusing and unintuitive. you have zero feedback on if your invitation to join your game was received or accepted. from the non-host perspective it sounds rough. the latency meant that blocking attacks was impossible. there were a ton of desyncs regarding items that no longer existed in my game still hanging around in my co-op partner's game. like blades of grass we chopped down to build our base would still spawn floating, uninteractable dewdrops for him. buildings that i built would remain blueprints until he quit and rejoined. he couldn't build near our base past a point because it would lag to the point of unplayability. he couldnt use the fun platforming stuff like the trampoline because he would just phase through it. i cant even say "at least you can connect ok" because on our last play session he just was not getting my join invites until a random combination of turning it off and back on again. having to deal with how bad the multiplayer ran was 100% the most consistent, awful damper on our playthrough. i think grounded is strong enough that it would be fun singleplayer but i almost always play survival games with a small group of friends so this was total rear end

in general the game is pretty buggy (and i don't mean the insects HAR HAR HAR). the only game-breaking stuff was really multiplayer related but i've fallen down holes i can't escape from, bugs frequently spawn out of bounds or in rocks or something, there was an occasional issue where i would just lock up on the inventory screen. we had about five crashes between the two of us in over 90 hours of playtime. this still feels "very polished" given the average level of polish in survival games ive played though lol

we nerdpoled to the wall surrounding the yard and i jumped out of bounds just to see what would happen. i'm not sure if that counts as a bug but it was really funny that it let us do that

ALSO its UNBELIEVABLE to me that there's no way to increase how many inventory slots you have. by the end of the game i was carrying like 15 items at all times (one weapon for each element, torch, food, healing items, three different types of arrows, crossbow, combat trinket/mobility trinket, three different tools for gathering resources, etc) and would run out of space REALLY quickly if i was at all efficient with harvesting corpses or gathering anything uncommon i ran into. this is such a glaring issue in a game that has really great qol like crafting tables pulling from storage, stack size upgrades, hotkey to sort your inventory into chests. also speaking of storage size its crazy that large storage chests and a fridge to keep food from spoiling are among the last things you'll unlock. wtf is that. we just turned off food spoilage because it sucked. we also turned off base raids

Ketchupface fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 7, 2024

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I'm currently playing Grounded with 2 other friends and having a blast, too. Haven't had as many network issues as you, but do see the "always a blueprint" building bug you describe every now and again.

I really love how well it sells being tiny. It's great when you run through all these deep ravines and finally get to a high overlook and see that it was just a tiny tyre rut from a kid's bicycle. It's not particularly realistic, but most of the bugs look absolutely great. They make weird noises, but you soon get used to hearing wolf spiders snoring in their dens and strange things like that. I mean, an actual realistic game where you are this tiny would be terrifying the entire time.

No idea how far off we are from the end, but we are still not strong enough to take on all the bugs we've seen so lots left yet I think. Got 71 hours of playtime so far, so definitely value for money.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ketchupface posted:

we nerdpoled to the wall surrounding the yard
With all the patches and polish this game's gotten since release I cannot loving believe there's still not an easier way to get up to that remote field station up there. The amount of weird parkour you have to do in this game has been mitigated, especially around the hedge, but this area never got touched up. You literally have to stand on the edge of leaves, and climb places where you have to land on the geometry just right. It's so insane and unintuitive it stands out like a sore thumb.

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010

this is, as far as i know, the intended method of getting to castle moldorc, which is required to get the good ending. i guess good for them for requiring building to explore in your building game but it always ended up looking very funny

that wheelbarrow field station is absolutely the most outrageous and obscure one and IMO it probably could have just been removed without impacting anything. you still get full survey coverage from all the other field stations and the only other things on that wall are a mega molar and a piece of sour candy (sour is the least common elemental weakness so...)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I climbed to the rim of the castle by going across the concrete pagoda thing and then climbing the rock wall, but needed a tiny bit of building to scale that red plastic bit.
One of the other players built a similar bridge, though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ketchupface posted:

this is, as far as i know, the intended method of getting to castle moldorc, which is required to get the good ending. i guess good for them for requiring building to explore in your building game but it always ended up looking very funny
I built a tower on the opposite side and a zipline that passed near it, then just jumped off the zipline when I was over the castle.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ketchupface posted:

Is that made out of triangle pieces to exploit some kind of collision behavior like in Terraria?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

isndl posted:

Is that made out of triangle pieces to exploit some kind of collision behavior like in Terraria?

presumably it's just because they're cheap

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010

isndl posted:

it's made out of mushroom brick stairs because those are only made out of mushroom bricks, which stack in your inventory rather than being carried on your shoulder so it's far easier to just have a couple hundred on you in case of cheese emergency. you can't make floors out of mushroom bricks though so we have to do stupid staggered triangles instead

(i think this one was just to skip an annoying grind and not required to get onto that cinderblock? its been a second)

photo mode in grounded rules btw i took this at like 11 pm ingame time

this is what we were doing before we unlocked building with mushrooms and thus the mushroom brick tech. we call this "the torture puzzle" and we used it for quick access to the hedge lab before unlocking its shortcut. took forever to build and is way more annoying to traverse

endgame spoilers: i suspect that the "mushroom bricks stack in your inventory" thing is acknowledged or encouraged by the devs because in the javamatic defense section you're given ~150 or so to wall up the defense points. i'm not even certain they gave other building materials? maybe there were stems but we saw the bricks and were like "oh sick" because we were already doing that with mix.rs

Vib Rib posted:

I built a tower on the opposite side and a zipline that passed near it, then just jumped off the zipline when I was over the castle.

this is how we would get to the pond quickly. we had a zipline to the eastern end of the upper yard and would just drop off over the pond. you know that poo poo was breaking bones on impact
i saw a video of someone using the trampolines to scale the rocks up to the castle which i would have loved to do for fun factor but the trampolines just never worked for my co-op partner. i initially had a very fun bounce castle setup to get to our zipline platform at our main base but i had to scrap it in favor of stairs

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Clay is another very good densely portable building material. Makes both ramps and foundations, which mushroom bricks don't.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I just started playing Medieval Dynasty. It's been out for years I know.

Some early thoughts:
Wolves are brutal and vicious.
It's kind of weird you don't have to water crops but I think I like it.
Wow, you need to build a lot of buildings.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

LLSix posted:

I just started playing Medieval Dynasty. It's been out for years I know.

Some early thoughts:
Wolves are brutal and vicious.
It's kind of weird you don't have to water crops but I think I like it.
Wow, you need to build a lot of buildings.

That's funny, I also bought it today and plan to play with a friend later. Just dabbled a bit - played it from Gamepass some time ago and from that version they definitely updated it a lot. It looks good and runs well.

I started on the new Oxbow map since they said it's the co-op map choice. So far I haven't gone far though, just built one small house and tried to remember how the game works. It's definitely somewhat overwhelming to see how MUCH of everything you need to build to recruit villagers. Hopefully you can play without doing an "optimal" village strategy.

I also played a bit of Necesse today! Again readjusted myself to it with only a few hours sunk into it. I have SO much stuff in my chests and I can't remember how much of that stuff is useful. Did manage to kill the Spider Queen by spamming my magic book attack and running away a lot.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Hang on, are gamepass games not updated like regular not-on-gamepass versions?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Qubee posted:

They are updated separately from non-gamepass versions, for console patch-clearing reasons, IIRC

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Qubee posted:

Nope, for some games the delay is astronomical (in game industry terms anyway). One friend wanted to try Medieval Dynasty because of the multiplayer update (released last december) but the build is from last June or something. I think they still don't have an estimate when they get the latest build(s) in Gamepass!

Obviously, for some more popular games *cough* Palworld *cough* Microsoft might be inclined to accept the new builds faster. Some have to wait more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Yeah, I've tried MD before myself and I'm waiting for the new update before I give it another go myself. It's up my street but I found it a touch slow before. I think with coop and the wife helping it will be much more fun..