Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

In Training posted:

Ah...cheers. I'm a loser so I don't smoke weed.

no prob bud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

In Training posted:

Ah...cheers. I'm not a loser so I don't smoke weed.
your isms are showing

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

BonHair posted:

What the gently caress is a cashless ATM machine? It's literally an automated teller machine, which lets you withdraw cash. The entire point is the cash. What does it even do?

it’s an empty atm

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

lol if you've never been to a store with a cashless atm

i haven't because canada has been decades ahead of the usa on pos technology since my childhood so as long as i can remember i just had a bank card and it could be used for debit literally anywhere

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Arivia posted:

i haven't because canada has been decades ahead of the usa on pos technology since my childhood so as long as i can remember i just had a bank card and it could be used for debit literally anywhere

lol canada

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Arivia posted:

you can do that here too you're just missing the part where this is a way for weed stores to collect debit card sales without keeping an ATM and a bunch of cash on hand

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"it's a loophole" should be clearing up any confusion like yeah it's dumb it doesn't make sense, because it's a workaround for another dumb thing that doesn't make sense

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

you can do that here too you're just missing the part where this is a way for weed stores to collect debit card sales without keeping an ATM and a bunch of cash on hand

Sounds like a skill issue, to be honest.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Interac Direct Payment (IDP) is Canada's national debit card service for purchasing of goods and services. In 1990 Interac launched a new pilot called Interac Direct Payments. Customers enter their personal identification number (PIN) and the amount paid is deducted from either their chequing or savings accounts.

they moved to chip and pin in 2007 and tap to pay in 2010. oh and they just casually added what everyone here uses instead of cashapp or zelle in 2001. apple pay or google pay or whatever isn't even a thing here because there's literally no use for it at all, you just add your card to the wallet on your phone and use the same system as always.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

no i'm saying that in canada that has literally never been a problem because our debit card system was never that stupid

e: yeah it looks like even when weed was illegal up here they just used the interac zelle/cashapp equivalent (etransfer)

Arivia has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Mar 5, 2024

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
lol remember when Target got ultra super hacked and then within months EVERY retailer was using chip and PIN?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I wish weed stores around here had that because having as much cash on hand as they do is a massive liability and safety issue for their employees and also it's personally inconvenient for me. Although this new place opened and they sponsor weird movie nights at the local indie cinema and have the lowest ATM fees of any ATM I've seen since the 00s (like 1.50)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I think you're thinking of the cashless atm as like a separate machine in the building, like a normal ATM would be, and not something that is basically integrated into the checkout/register. it just adds the ability to pay directly with a debit card rather than getting out cash first.

In the rest of the world this is just the checkout,where you always use whatever card or virtual card you want. America pls

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arivia posted:

Interac Direct Payment (IDP) is Canada's national debit card service for purchasing of goods and services. In 1990 Interac launched a new pilot called Interac Direct Payments. Customers enter their personal identification number (PIN) and the amount paid is deducted from either their chequing or savings accounts.

they moved to chip and pin in 2007 and tap to pay in 2010. oh and they just casually added what everyone here uses instead of cashapp or zelle in 2001. apple pay or google pay or whatever isn't even a thing here because there's literally no use for it at all, you just add your card to the wallet on your phone and use the same system as always.

It's illegal to say stuff like that in the US

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

In the rest of the world this is just the checkout,where you always use whatever card or virtual card you want. America pls

yes i said before it's a dumb loophole, for dealing with situations where the dumb loophole is needed

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Biplane posted:

It's illegal to say stuff like that in the US

you wanna know the really fun part

interac isn't a government thing

it isn't like a consumer organization

no, the banks started it to increase their regulatory capture and make it so they could collect more fees and keep the entire canadian financial system under their control (canada's banking industry is incredibly centralized with like five big players and then just a bunch of credit unions, basically)

it is literally capitalism.png/.txt just working okay for the "consumer" by being not terrible compared to the multinational credit card options and stuff

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
If Canadian banks refused to do business with poutine dealers I bet you would get loopholes real quick

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

lol remember when Target got ultra super hacked and then within months EVERY retailer was using chip and PIN?

the US hasn't adopted chip and pin for credit cards still, just chip and signature

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Professor Beetus posted:

I wish weed stores around here had that because having as much cash on hand as they do is a massive liability and safety issue for their employees and also it's personally inconvenient for me. Although this new place opened and they sponsor weird movie nights at the local indie cinema and have the lowest ATM fees of any ATM I've seen since the 00s (like 1.50)

there's a weed store near me and it's in this old house that's a full flight of stairs from the sidewalk.

they also have a "culture shop" across the street because the law says they can't sell pipes in the same place they sell weed (I guess? maybe it changed).

anyway, the culture shop is street level and has been broken into (via someone driving a car into it) so many times that they just closed it down.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

gods definitely in that tiny cube, clearly. where else would he be.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It's a deece cube dude

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
just build a platform for the cube. put it up higher than the clock. fixed.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Cubeway to heaven

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

just build a platform for the cube. put it up higher than the clock. fixed.

Build another cube somewhere else so you don't get so many people trampled.

We just don't build enough poo poo anymore. We used to build poo poo. But nobody wants to work.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Arivia posted:

That's how debit cards work here too and have for like 20 years

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i am harry posted:

gods definitely in that tiny cube, clearly. where else would he be.

I mean he previously lived in that tiny-rear end back room in Solomon's Temple so like, he's used to it.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

I mean he previously lived in that tiny-rear end back room in Solomon's Temple so like, he's used to it.

Yep. God likes being cozy and that's okay

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
gotta be able to fit through the eye of a needle anyway

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

PostNouveau posted:

Build another cube somewhere else so you don't get so many people trampled.

build two more cubes and then label the three of them 1, 2, and 4.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The idea of using cash is basically alien to be at this point. I either use a supermarket self scan app or my card. Or use an app to transfer to friends I guess. This is mainly a problem for me in my side hustle as the tooth fairy. How the gently caress am I supposed to remember to get cash for teeth? The kid doesn't even really care for money either, except he likes counting.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shame Boy posted:

The broom closet in a small church 30 miles outside tulsa

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

BonHair posted:

The idea of using cash is basically alien to be at this point. I either use a supermarket self scan app or my card. Or use an app to transfer to friends I guess. This is mainly a problem for me in my side hustle as the tooth fairy. How the gently caress am I supposed to remember to get cash for teeth? The kid doesn't even really care for money either, except he likes counting.

wot u mean? teefs is cash :orks101:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

BonHair posted:

Tooth fairy uses the local variant of Venmo here. Much easier. Before that kiddo was miffed sometimes about the tooth fairy being stingy when we didn't have cash. Kids are amusing.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

BonHair posted:

I buy coins in bulk from Forex for tooth fairy duty and the kids' allowance. There's a negligible fee.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

In Training posted:

Ah...cheers. I'm not a loser so I don't smoke weed.
...yet, cuz youre in training

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

you too can learn to turn out your wallet at the sight of a fat nug

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
InvestmentOpportunity.png

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dog Case posted:

InvestmentOpportunity.png

:rip: groverhaus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

OH MY BAD posted:

i don't think any municipality will go the lengths you're thinking of to prosecute shoplifting, especially after the fact.

the cops i work with all basically say "dont call us unless its $500 or more"

just dont be loving stupid about it, don't try to walk out the store with a big screen tv or other big ticket items.

stick to like 10-15% of the total bill and dont go to the same Target everyday for a month and you can shave a nice chunk off your grocery bill