Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

dmboogie posted:

you have no joy or whimsy in your decrepit heart

Hey now, I liked pokemon when I was young too, but you do gotta laugh at some of their choices. Even back in Gen 1 you had such amazing character designs like "Ball" and "Larger Ball".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Everyone's pokemon takes are annoying, that is how it should be. The universe needs balance. EDIT: ^^ the balls were Mimics and it ruled

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Even as the person who started this, the ice cream and sandcastle own.

Anyway the other thing with James and his recent thing is that this is like the third suicide threat/attempt he's done, since the presented context for the first deleted apology is that he just got out of the hospital for doing a suicide and he's fake weepy about it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The original Pokemon designs that are universally beloved and held up by boomers as the good, pure designs before they were ruined by sandcastles and keys were like... here's a rat. Here's a pigeon. Here's a group of sentient eggs.

Pearl clutching over the later designs somehow being less imaginative is hilarious.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
who are the ad wizards who came up with this one

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

turn cringe rpgs

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

peaked with snorunt imo

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Crain posted:

Hey now, I liked pokemon when I was young too, but you do gotta laugh at some of their choices. Even back in Gen 1 you had such amazing character designs like "Ball" and "Larger Ball".

i think it’s cool to have a funny monster that’s an exploding ball with angry eyebrows

sincerely, you can make anything in the world sound lame by being dismissive and reductive about it, im not mad on Nintendo’s behalf or anything it’s just the oldest and most tired joke in the book

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Pootybutt posted:

Everyone's pokemon takes are annoying, that is how it should be. The universe needs balance. EDIT: ^^ the balls were Mimics and it ruled

im the dreaded "pokemon stopped being good after gold/silver" guy everyone wants to hit with hammers

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sydin posted:

The original Pokemon designs that are universally beloved and held up by boomers as the good, pure designs before they were ruined by sandcastles and keys were like... here's a rat. Here's a pigeon. Here's a group of sentient eggs.

Pearl clutching over the later designs somehow being less imaginative is hilarious.

Normal has always been the most boring pokemon type. The others are like "here's a dog except it's on fire" while normal is "here's a dog except it's a dog."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
simply peak

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fun hater posted:

im the dreaded "pokemon stopped being good after gold/silver" guy everyone wants to hit with hammers
im the one whose favorite is black/white because it had more of a story

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Karasu Tengu posted:

Anyway the other thing with James and his recent thing is that this is like the third suicide threat/attempt he's done, since the presented context for the first deleted apology is that he just got out of the hospital for doing a suicide and he's fake weepy about it.

Wait really? He had another one? I thought that was a throw away joke because he'd said that twice before already.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

my favorite is sun/moon because it remembered to have characters and team skull is the best villain team in the franchise

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

when youre positioning these people as the Morally Good Ones in comparison to somerton the whole premise falls apart if any of them ever does anything wrong (and some of them have already said some mildly off stuff - not to the level of somerton plagiarism or him actually going after some rando author, but not that far off from one of his random misogynist comments)

Well knowing that they've got some past comments that they'd be ashamed of helps this make more sense. I thought I was just too callously disconnected from all of this because that seems like such a basic concern. Like not taking dating advice from any celebrity who keeps dating women half or less their age, you want to try and recommend people who are actually making their own stuff at the very least in this situation.

If some controversy comes out later I think you should just apologize about and maybe talk about it a bit and that's about the end of things right? F.D. Signifier was a big fan of Jonathan Majors' acting and modeling and had nice things to say about him before the allegations came out and he made a couple videos discussing it because you can't assume everyone tracks your Twitter because they like your YouTube videos. I like Shaun, SungWon Cho and Mandalore but I'm not following any of their Twitters personally.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i am excited for pokemon legendsz but i did not really like arceus nearly as much as anyone esle. boring checklist rear end game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Well knowing that they've got some past comments that they'd be ashamed of helps this make more sense. I thought I was just too callously disconnected from all of this because that seems like such a basic concern. Like not taking dating advice from any celebrity who keeps dating women half or less their age, you want to try and recommend people who are actually making their own stuff at the very least in this situation.

If some controversy comes out later I think you should just apologize about and maybe talk about it a bit and that's about the end of things right? F.D. Signifier was a big fan of Jonathan Majors' acting and modeling and had nice things to say about him before the allegations came out and he made a couple videos discussing it because you can't assume everyone tracks your Twitter because they like your YouTube videos. I like Shaun, SungWon Cho and Mandalore but I'm not following any of their Twitters personally.
i think youre misunderstanding me im not saying hbomberguy should be executed and ashamed or that recommending rando youtubers was wrong im just saying the framing was slightly weird

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
someone on a discord server i am on, traded a really rare copy of fire emblem awakening/fates for a life sized dragapult plush that costs like $500 and imo good trade

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Here's a Jay and Josh Re:View

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jiZMaMa8gs

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
People keep saying, 'Oh Somerton should apologize and then step away from YouTube and take up a hobby' and so on, but unless he's got heaps of cash stowed away to live on, I can't imagine he'd have much luck finding a job to support himself. I have to think most employers, through either asking about job history or doing some sort of cursory background check, would find that his name's become synonymous with plagiarism, which I think would get him rejected. Even if he did get pass that hurdle, there's the chance that either a co-worker or customer might recognize him, which could also lead to issues.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Sydin posted:

Droyer posted:

Normal has always been the most boring pokemon type. The others are like "here's a dog except it's on fire" while normal is "here's a dog except it's a dog."

That poo poo rules. I've always liked that pokemon on a base level are just the natural world, w some dragons and mythical beasties n robots n poo poo for spice.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Max Wilco posted:

People keep saying, 'Oh Somerton should apologize and then step away from YouTube and take up a hobby' and so on, but unless he's got heaps of cash stowed away to live on, I can't imagine he'd have much luck finding a job to support himself. I have to think most employers, through either asking about job history or doing some sort of cursory background check, would find that his name's become synonymous with plagiarism, which I think would get him rejected. Even if he did get pass that hurdle, there's the chance that either a co-worker or customer might recognize him, which could also lead to issues.

It probably depends on the job; there are a ton of employers who probably wouldn’t care or even look that hard.

It would probably suck but many things do.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
hes fucken gaming

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

i think youre misunderstanding me im not saying hbomberguy should be executed and ashamed or that recommending rando youtubers was wrong im just saying the framing was slightly weird

English is my first language but I'm terrible at speaking it and have a habit of using too many words to say nothing. I'm not saying you were I was just expecting more to it because that seems obvious. Like how you wouldn't recommend a restaurant that's given you food poisoning ever time you've ordered something there to a friend.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Crocobile posted:

This sucks. The big issue is that James hasn’t done any reflection, keeps going back to the same deflection/victimization tactics he always uses (which Hbomb laid out in his video), and since they aren’t working he’s escalating.

I watched Jessie Gender’s video on the most recent apology and part of James’s pattern is fabricating private conversations and interactions to create a martyr narrative. Jessie tried to help him connect with Nebula; afterwards James claims Nebula won’t talk to him but when Jessie checks there’s no indication James ever reached out to Nebula. He claimed one of Jessie’s fans threatened to accuse him of sexual assault; he claimed he filed a police report and the fan has a criminal history, and he claimed the police told him not to talk to Jessie (this was his excuse when she confronted him about the previous claims), he since has been mush-mouthed about whether he actually filed a report/any receipts. He’s said the income from his apology and re-listed vids would go to “Hbomb’s people,” Hbomb says they haven’t heard from him at all.

It sucks that the only way to get James to stop hurting people (ie stealing marginalized people’s work while acting like he is the only queer creator) was a well constructed take-down video by a much larger queer creator. James has a history of weaponizing his following against his (smaller) critics. I’m not surprised that now that he can’t hurt others he’s making threats against himself.

TW for anecdote about BPD & attempted suicide: I had a roommate with BPD (I cut contact but she’s still alive and was in treatment) who, while we lived together, was hospitalized for an intentional overdose. A few months later she had a minor fight with her boyfriend, locked herself in the shared bathroom, and was shaking her pill bottles while crying and berating us for begging her to unlock the door. For hours. Part of what was exhausting was realizing I couldn’t distinguish between a “real” and “fake” attempt; she was playing chicken with suicide while holding her loved ones emotionally hostage.

I’ve been friends with unstable people (dealing with mental issues and/or addiction) where I realized I didn’t have the patience to tolerate them hurting me while I waited for them to find their ‘rock bottom.’ And I had to accept that some people never find rock bottom (or ‘rock bottom’ is death). Some people got help, or made some improvements, but they couldn’t be forced into it and that was something they had to pull out of themselves.

So… I hope he’s actually alive and actually talks to a mental health professional and stops flailing. It sucks that the best case scenario is someone digging an even worse hole for themselves. :(

It’s a tough diagnosis, but if a person gets good treatment and makes it to their 30s, they’re usually set up to do ok.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i am excited for pokemon legendsz but i did not really like arceus nearly as much as anyone esle. boring checklist rear end game
As a first pass at trying to make a 3D open world Pokemon game I thought it was a solid enough effort, in particular I enjoyed the catching mechanic and that battles felt a lot snappier between less intro/outro transitions and damage values being turned up to insane levels. But yeah it needs a lot of refinement in the loop which we probably won't get but hey I'll still probably buy it.

Pootybutt posted:

That poo poo rules. I've always liked that pokemon on a base level are just the natural world, w some dragons and mythical beasties n robots n poo poo for spice.

Yeah agreed, I just think it's funny that people whine about stuff like Klefki when that was how Pokemon were designed from the word go. Magnemite is an eye plastered on a ball bearing with some magnets and screws attached, it's the same vibe.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the best part of pokemon is naming all your pokemon deranged things

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

he could just say 'oh yeah that was some youtube drama.' its probably killed his chances of working in film or whatever but i dont think most jobs are going to care about your youtube career

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If he's actually a marketing guy he can just go back to that, they absolutely don't give a poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
he should get a job at the plagiarism factory

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Endorph posted:

he could just say 'oh yeah that was some youtube drama.' its probably killed his chances of working in film or whatever but i dont think most jobs are going to care about your youtube career

"yeah that was a different james somerton, having the same name as that guy has been a real headache recently lol"

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
what was the deal with that whole "pals were designed by AI" discourse that everyone quickly forgot about

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

euroshopper posted:

what was the deal with that whole "pals were designed by AI" discourse that everyone quickly forgot about

i think it was just part of the whole moralization of the thing, like, connect the game to anything morally bad that people hate

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

euroshopper posted:

iirc the CEO said something approving about AI usage in an interview and a bunch of people jumped to "that means all of the palworld assets were AI generated"

and they weren't so people stopped saying that

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
It was brought up in the original video, but another thing to consider is that the stuff that Somerton cheaped out on and plagiarized is the stuff that most other people on the platform or who aspire to be "content creators" find the easiest, which is the actual words they say. For most people who are actually passionate about the work they do, it's not hard to talk into a camera about it for an extended period of time - It's the editing and videography and get equipment and shooting locations set up, etc. But like people were saying a few pages ago, Somerton doesn't really seem to have a passion for anything except being seen as a serious clever smart boy who says smart things on Youtube.

Theoretically I think he could still salvage his presence as an entertainer if he had the ability to pivot to videos of something else - Funny skits, home repair, talking about a tv series you like, doing puppet shows. But for that to work, you have to actually be passionate about something other than "being a successful YouTuber" to do that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah like if you were someone whose skill is in presentation and polish then it would matter less if it turned out your content was just regurgitating wikipedia articles but its definitely different if your desired image is being seen as an incisive thinker

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
There are more than enough lovely companies that will hire you to do boring desk jobs short of you having an actual criminal record. Your national supermarket chain doesn't care that you were involved in Youtube drama as long as you can convincingly argue you'd make a good internal communications rep or marketing partner manager. The only thing I will concede is that the process of looking for one can be lovely and demoralizing, but that's true regardless of your level of internet fame.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

euroshopper posted:

the devs previously made a game that used machine learning algorithms in it but iirc it was a party game where you had to discern what the ai was trying to say or something? not them just slavishly using an AI to produce Content

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I never named my Pokemon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Honestly if Somerton had broken out the ukulele and blatantly ripped off that crazy lady I'd have had a lot more respect for him.

Just turn into a plagiarism elemental. Film his next couple of videos wearing an old lab coat. Do a word for word remake of Dan Olson's stuff. Talk entirely in movie quotes.