Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Worf posted:

democracy loves skulls

if you disagree you hate freedom

I carry around a skull everywhere I go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fajita Queen posted:

According to the lore bits the bugs are seeded on planets by the super earth government to later be farmed because their bodies decompose into oil, so I can totally see them deliberately seeding planets the robots are invading with bugs to get them to fight each other

lol, where can I see these bits? The interactables in the maps?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

Love when my friends are just like "oh poo poo run run!" and nobody knows who they're talking to or what they're telling you to run from so everyone stands still and gets wiped out by a cluster bomb lol

I think a cool thing they could add is a sort of peripheral alert when there's a stratagem near you about to drop. Sort of like just a small arrow pointing to the side of the screen it's closest to when it's out of sight. Saying "500kg ordinance incoming" or something like that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That feature of the Helldiver helmet HUD was cut due to budgetary concerns.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Worf posted:

yea it definitely reminds me of ME3 online as well

which is great because a few weeks ago i was remembering how much fun i had in that game and that i missed playing it

Worth mentioning the online is still up for that game last I checked

Turin Turambar posted:

The game is going backwards, somehow. Today I had two crashes, and it never did it before for me. And of course, I lost the progression I got for the 'daily quests'.

Might just need to restart your computer, a while ago I was having some crashes that went away after I restarted my computer

Amazing Member posted:

I gotta stan the impact grenades on this one, hands down the 1 hit kill for spewers is too vital for me, but I'm a dirty arc wielder so take that with a grain of salt.

Edit: what blows my mind about this game is how totally fleshed out and different the faction encounters are. How I deal with bugs is so far removed from bots, and the illuminaties aren't even in yet.

I gotta wonder though, there's an AWFULLY lot of empty space on the map... even for 3 factions to fight over. Makes me wonder if there's a whole bunch cooking they haven't talked about yet factions wise

Wouldn't be surprised if we end up with four or even five factions to fight, one of which should be a rebelling group of Super Earth colonies because it would be a shame if we didn't have a primarily human enemy faction to blow up

Alkydere posted:

A bug with no head still attacking you? Cool, distributed nervous system and it's still in full fight-flight mode before it bleeds out.

A bug with no head doing a bug breach dance? Yeah, kinda bullshit.

A bug with no left legs still approaching me as if it still was just fine? I'm gonna suspect there might have been a bit of desync involved but that was weird to watch one side just levitate.

How about a bug corpse stretched off into the horizon like some sort of Lovecraftian Laffy Taffy?

Because I've seen that happen at least half a dozen times by now

Nanomashoes posted:

the helldivers armor has skulls on them

skulls

Hence my suggestion of it being rebelling Super Earth colonies, they've kept the Managed part of the equation but there's no Democracy left in their foul Space Nazi hearts

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

Magnificent.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
No seriously, we're the Nazis. We're the big bad evil invading three other factions, they're not gonna fight each other they're gonna team up against us. As for rebel humans being evil, what exactly do you think those evil broadcast towers we've been bombing are broadcasting?

Probably something like "hey turns out if you don't enslave shoot or bomb them they don't care"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Benagain posted:

No seriously, we're the Nazis. We're the big bad evil invading three other factions, they're not gonna fight each other they're gonna team up against us. As for rebel humans being evil, what exactly do you think those evil broadcast towers we've been bombing are broadcasting?

Probably something like "hey turns out if you don't enslave shoot or bomb them they don't care"

yeah we're in fact Space Nazis but these guys would be Super Space Nazis, they've dropped all veneers of Democracy from Managed Democracy

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If Bugs and Bots are the good guys, how come they're so explodable?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Improbable Lobster posted:

the guy by the map on the ship talks about it a bit in some of his voicelines, and it's on the screens for the rebel broadcasts. maybe some other places too

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

The rebel broadcasts that you destroy as side objectives, some of the dialogue and interactables, and there was a now deleted Twitter account that was basically the devs doing some roleplay stuff prior to the game launching. There was a big reddit post a week or two ago compiling all of the info but gently caress if I can find it again.

Basically the bugs have no observed means of space travel, there are oil farms for them that have had containment breaches, some other things.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

the final alien faction is martians like marvin the martian

Griz
May 21, 2001

Benagain posted:

if you actually go look at the tower instead of just plinking it with autocannon from 100m there's a bunch of stuff about this all being about oil and the attacks being false flags

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Infinitum posted:

idk helldivers also seem pretty explodable to me

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
More bile titan one shot secrets revealed

https://i.imgur.com/PxqEMwJ.mp4

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

idk helldivers also seem pretty explodable to me

It took me a minute to realise that you're literally just some expendable mook, and every time you die you get replaced with a new rando from the cryotubes on the destroyer

Just ~for gameplay purposes~ they always come out with your exact same suit of armour + weapons

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Infinitum posted:

It took me a minute to realise that you're literally just some expendable mook, and every time you die you get replaced with a new rando from the cryotubes on the destroyer

Just ~for gameplay purposes~ they always come out with your exact same suit of armour + weapons

I set my voice to random to lean in to this conceit (they reroll every respawn if you do) and wish I could do body type too.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thinking mechs next week? What say you all

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dandywalken posted:

Thinking mechs next week? What say you all

People seem to thinking Thursday for some reason, but I have no idea why or how realistic that is.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Benagain posted:

No seriously, we're the Nazis. We're the big bad evil invading three other factions

Technically it's not invasions as we made the bugs and robots. Now the straight up aliens, yeah we are totally invading those fuckers.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

explosivo posted:

People seem to thinking Thursday for some reason, but I have no idea why or how realistic that is.

Devs have said new content drops the 2nd Thursday of every month, which would be 3/14

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mulva posted:

Technically it's not invasions as we made the bugs and robots. Now the straight up aliens, yeah we are totally invading those fuckers.
interesting definition of "invasion" if it excludes attacking an outside group and taking their land based on the exact point of their origin

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

TaurusTorus posted:

What sci-fi archetypes are left? Orks? Nanobots? Cosmic horrors? Posadists?

Space Reptilians obviously

Lizard and snake humanoids as the foot troops, giant armored dinosaurs as their elites

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

I agree it's shaky but the thinking is they specifically said Soon tm and poo poo usually gets dropped on a Thursday to take advantage of the weekend.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Worf posted:

yea it definitely reminds me of ME3 online as well

which is great because a few weeks ago i was remembering how much fun i had in that game and that i missed playing it

Ya I am so pissed that EA didn't put that in the Legendary edition. Apparently people still play on PC, definitely makes me want to try it.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

If you have random voice on its another person in the armor. If you dont its a clone.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

LazyMaybe posted:

interesting definition of "invasion" if it excludes attacking an outside group and taking their land based on the exact point of their origin

They aren't an outside group, is the thing. It's the entire point. The robots were cyborg rebels a hundred years ago, and the bugs are a bio program to clear planets and generate oil. It's like how the US Army couldn't invade Florida. It's already America, technically, you can't invade yourself. You can do other horrible things, but you can't invade. You are already there. Actions against the bugs and robots are just propaganda to keep from saying "Yeah we hosed up and we need to clear out some of our bioweapons/we have some uprisings going on". To imply that Super Earth could lose control, or that citizens could rise up? Unthinkable.

Only the aliens are a truly outside force Super Earth is loving with. Everything else is a self-inflicted problem.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So I typically use the breaker which is going to make any gun feel bad in comparison, I know that. But if I unload an entire clip of the liberator penetrator into those medium sized armored bugs (ostensibly what it's specialized for) I can kill, like, 2 of them. Is there something I'm missing or does this gun just suck?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

No, I won’t have it. The bugs and bots are invaders and evil and I WILL MAKE THEM PAY

Griz
May 21, 2001

ninjewtsu posted:

So I typically use the breaker which is going to make any gun feel bad in comparison, I know that. But if I unload an entire clip of the liberator penetrator into those medium sized armored bugs (ostensibly what it's specialized for) I can kill, like, 2 of them. Is there something I'm missing or does this gun just suck?

it may or may not do increased damage to weakpoints, but even if it does that's more than outweighed by the lovely damage against everything else, reduced mag, and no full auto

the incendiary shotgun also falls into the same category of "why would anyone use this?"
it doesn't kill things, it just sets them on fire so they do more damage when they charge and melee you

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I definitely hope they adjust weapons and game mechanics so more things are useful

I don’t suppose there’s a flame resist or immune armor? That’d be cool for a pyro build

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Infinitum posted:

Might makes right, the central philosophical pillar of Managed Democracy

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I think pulp aliens like Mars Attacks would be a cool faction to fight if we're just throwing out ideas.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Dinosaurs please

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Did HD1 ever have missions with mixed factions?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The AI with mixed faction battles would probably be a gigantic mess, I don't think its likely that we'll get that

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

magiccarpet posted:

Dinosaurs please

this, I want to shoot space dinosaurs

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

do space orcs but make them fantastic four Thing style rock guys to mix it up and so you don't get sued by gw

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
As for enemies, something that actually speaks coherently would be good :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Risky Bisquick posted:

More bile titan one shot secrets revealed

https://i.imgur.com/PxqEMwJ.mp4

All I can tell from this is “don’t use first person and let the game give you the RNG free kill instead” and “shoot it from the side instead of dead on”