Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Saraiguma posted:

bigger balduran theory

I mean he does look bigger when we see him, so the one time that actually checks out in fiction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

adventurers are slippery bastards, in bg5 it'll probably turn out that the orpheus ending is canon but the emperor survived anyway

the sword in question is this one
https://antifandom.com/baldursgate/wiki/Sword_of_Balduran_(BG1)
https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Sword_of_the_Emperor

funnily enough there were multiple swords of balduran even in the original games
https://antifandom.com/baldursgate/wiki/Sword_of_Balduran_(BG2)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

motherfucker was just dropping swords all over the coast.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ran into an odd bug in the post-credits party.

I had romanced Lae'zel but accidentally broke up with her right before the end of the game by coming on too strong to Minthara in a coversation, but never consummated that. I went to Avernus with Karlach at the end, and arrived at the party with her in my hell armor, talked to a Shadowheart and Gale and a few other and they all react as if I've been in Avernus with Karlach, but as soon as I talk to Wyll I get a narrator spiel about being a Gith hologram and Wyll is reacting as if I went off to fight Vlaakith with Lae'zel. Everyone else seems to know I've been in Avernus with Karlach, but Wyll for whatever reason triggers dialogue as if I've been in off in the Astral Plane with Lae'zel.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Shard posted:

Well it is the Sword Coast

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Entropic posted:

Ran into an odd bug in the post-credits party.

I had romanced Lae'zel but accidentally broke up with her right before the end of the game by coming on too strong to Minthara in a coversation, but never consummated that. I went to Avernus with Karlach at the end, and arrived at the party with her in my hell armor, talked to a Shadowheart and Gale and a few other and they all react as if I've been in Avernus with Karlach, but as soon as I talk to Wyll I get a narrator spiel about being a Gith hologram and Wyll is reacting as if I went off to fight Vlaakith with Lae'zel. Everyone else seems to know I've been in Avernus with Karlach, but Wyll for whatever reason triggers dialogue as if I've been in off in the Astral Plane with Lae'zel.

Yeah, that character bugged for me as well, dude was hallucinating a completely different life for my Tav.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

PneumonicBook posted:

see I was going for subtext, and you went with text. You're braver than I.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Shard posted:

Been playing BG1 and just got to the werewolf island part. Before this game I assumed Baldurian died on that island. Does d&d work on multiverse rules where in one he did and in another he ended up somewhere else? Because his blade is on that island. But in 3 it is somewhere else. I guess my party could have brought it back with us but then how did it end up where it does?

Honestly it's just kinda dumb what BG3 does with Balduran. The timeline is something like this: (BG3 spoilers I guess)

~300 DR: The settlement at the mouth of the Chionthar comes to be known as Baldur's gate. If he gave the city its name, he must have lived around this time. If it was named after him posthumously he lived even earlier than this.
~300 DR: Balduran does all his adventures which end with him getting shipwrecked on what comes to be known as the Isle of Balduran. Balduran is implied to have either died or is turned into a werewolf.
1000 DR, maybe?: Somehow Balduran escapes the Isle and ends up at Moonrise Towers, which is one of the headquarters of the Heralds of Faerun. He claims that he wants to return to the city in triumph by finding a treasure there (i.e. by robbing someone's house?) It's also not clear how he's still alive if he's 700 years old--he's a human and even if he's also a werewolf, lycanthropes by infection in this setting age normally. Somehow, he stumbles into the ancient illithid colony beneath Moonrise that literally nobody else discovered or will discover for another 400 years and gets turned into a Mind Flayer. But after a few years of being a thrall his dragon buddy helps him break the spell. He then hangs out in his hometown eatin' brains for four. hundred. years. Again, not clear how he's still alive since mind flayers don't live that long, which is why, like the Githyanki, they like to hang out in the astral.
1368 DR: One thousand years after Balduran's disappearance, the Bhaalspawn and their party discover the wreck of Balduran's ship.
1374 DR: Ketheic Thorm now rules Moonrise Towers and is going a bit nuts. This is the year the shadow curse begins.
1492 DR: The chosen of the dead three steal the crown of Karsus, and use it to enslave the elder brain they discovered below Moonrise Towers at some point. Lord Gortash abducts mind flayer Balduran and returns him to the mind flayer colony. The brain sends Balduran on a mission to retrieve the prism and he ends up inside it.

Honestly if it wasn't independently confirmed by another NPC in the game I'd have assumed the whole narrative to be yet another one of the emperor's lies, because the story is ridiculous on its face. A lot of stuff with that character in Act 3 feels a little rushed and incongruous with the quality from before.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Shard posted:

wtf..

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

wait he lies?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Every adventurer does through a million different swords. Gotta have the right one for every occasion

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Oh, apparently I totally missed or mentally blocked out, they retconned him to be an elf. I can understand changing established lore if it actually fixes a problem, but it doesn't do that since the timeline still implies a multi-century span as a mind flayer.

I haven't reached it again in my new playthrough but does the Emperor imply that specifically the elder brain hat is the Absolute was the one which enthralled him? In the Durge run doesn't it get implied that the Chosen literally created that particular brain? If so that'd imply that Balduran got tadpoled less than a century ago, which does work for the "he's was an elf all along" retcon but I feel introduces a whole new host of new timing issues. I only half-remember those bits though so I might have misinterpreted.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shard posted:

I'm enjoying this vision of a proud explorer landing his ship in a new land, previously unknown to his people. As he strides ashore to plant the flag of Uzfuckistan on the beach, he slices his foot on a pile of discarded Rusty Longswords and bleeds out. The Sword Coast claims another victim.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
So I turned in to a God and got poo poo-talked by a flying cat (who later mysteriously lost all of her fur).

The BG3 experience.

Also Wyll still thought my PC Gale was Lae'zel during the epilogue. I wonder if it's just a running joke among the devs at this point.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just finished werewolf Island. I like to imagine that Balduran was like gently caress this place and just swam back to the mainland. That or a wizard did it

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I’m fighting the grease monsters and the crazy man in the sewer but I can’t seem to set the fight up without my own party getting Surprised. If I try starting the fight with Astarion knocking him down everyone else is surprised, if I open up with a fireball into the grease from downstairs Astarion winds up surprised. Is it because im initiating combat out of sight or something?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

PneumonicBook posted:

lol, this makes me think of that Sword comic, but set in the Baldur's Gate.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I’m fighting the grease monsters and the crazy man in the sewer but I can’t seem to set the fight up without my own party getting Surprised. If I try starting the fight with Astarion knocking him down everyone else is surprised, if I open up with a fireball into the grease from downstairs Astarion winds up surprised. Is it because im initiating combat out of sight or something?

Try sending Shovel or Connor over there to start the fight, even if they kill them, you can come in afterwards with the fireball.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Started an honor mode run and holy poo poo I have crit failed every important roll so far, absolutely cursed

Like the kid with the harpies, they just crit me for 16 turn 1 twice in a row

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Beasteh posted:

Started an honor mode run and holy poo poo I have crit failed every important roll so far, absolutely cursed

I know this comes up every week ITT but crit fails are kind of the worst mechanic. Like does Taylor Swift ever ready herself to launch into Shake it Off in front of 75000 people as she has done 500 times before, only to drop a load in her leotard and waddle off stage instead. I mean probably in some very niche fanfic but that’s not where I am trying to take this discussion

I guess the idea is what is the point of playing a game if the outcome is predetermined. But it still feels dumb to have +14 on a DC 10 check and fail

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The morphic pool scene wipes all your buffs :argh:

My heroes feast!

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Docjowles posted:

the idea is what is the point of playing a game if the outcome is predetermined.

Mod it out of the game if you don't like it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Hotfix is in:

quote:

Fixed a bug causing Minthara to keep repeating a greeting that also happened to be a nice little Act III spoiler.

Also, pouch stealing appears to have finally been killed. :rip:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Shard posted:

Just finished werewolf Island. I like to imagine that Balduran was like gently caress this place and just swam back to the mainland. That or a wizard did it

Durlag’s Tower is amazing so I can only guess that the studio finished polishing that dungeon and then realized that they had forgotten the other half of the expansion pack.

Werewolf island should just have been retconned or something

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Beasteh posted:

Fighting the training room in the creche, I decided to try a pen-and-paper favourite of mine with my monk: run into the middle of the room, use patient defence, and just dodgetank hits to draw everyone into a small enough space to fireball. First attack from the training master is a critical hit at disadvantage, a 1 in 400 chance.

I've had it happen at the table before, but when it happens in a video game, my god does it feel much, much more bullshit.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"What are you gonna do, crit me?"

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Latest hotfix has fixed Minthara talking about act III spoilers...

...and now she's bugged talking about Gale and Elminster

Fucks sake

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Just delete minthara from the game at the point. No one likes her

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jay Rust posted:

...going by my twitter feed this is extremely wrong

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I like Minthara and I think there is an interesting character there, but she doesn't have enough content to be as irrevocably broken as she apparently is

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Having a hot, evil drow as a party member that you can bumb uglies with is an essential part of Baldurs Gate experience. :colbert:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Just wait for mod support so the xxx modding community can fix her.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I like Minthara and I think there is an interesting character there, but she doesn't have enough content to be as irrevocably broken as she apparently is

I feel like Minthara is broken because they keep trying to make her a party member that be recruited in any playthrough when she was originally intended for Durge/slaughter the camp players only, which is honestly more interesting.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Just give the word, and I will kill the clown. We would be praised as heroes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Minthara has always been recruitable without slaughtering the grove, it just requires you to go to the Mountain Pass without resolving the questline. She was made recruitable for good players in Patch 5 and that didn't break her dialogue, I think it's just specific to whatever is going on with this latest update.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

i love her she is my waifu

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

So in the sewers of act 3, I guess there was a dude named Minsc I was supposed to find down there? I didn’t find much in the way of quest breadcrumbs for this area, just wandered in from Rivington, cleared the whole thing out, and popped up on the docks where I killed the fuzzy guys inside. Jaheira is dead which I think matters for the spoilered thing. If she’s dead do I miss out on all the actual quests down there? I murdered everyone in the sewers with very little context—seems like there’s a gang of smugglers, a gang of deaths head people, and a random nastymancer. was I supposed to get a quest from somewhere first is my question.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

So in the sewers of act 3, I guess there was a dude named Minsc I was supposed to find down there? I didn’t find much in the way of quest breadcrumbs for this area, just wandered in from Rivington, cleared the whole thing out, and popped up on the docks where I killed the fuzzy guys inside. Jaheira is dead which I think matters for the spoilered thing. If she’s dead do I miss out on all the actual quests down there? I murdered everyone in the sewers with very little context—seems like there’s a gang of smugglers, a gang of deaths head people, and a random nastymancer. was I supposed to get a quest from somewhere first is my question.

If you got Jaheira as a party member and brought her in the sewers you could knock out Minsc via non-fatal damage and recruit him as the final potential party member, although I THINK this also involves going to the bank and watching his intro cutscene of him wrestling a mimic first, otherwise I don't think Minsc goes to the poop-filled sewers and get some interesting lore dumps pertaining to BG1 and BG2.

If you don't have her you're SOL for that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah if you don't have her you can still fight him and use non-lethal to knock him out but he's hosed. Without real Jaheria there to calm him down and tell him what's what, there's nothing to do with him other than kill him or leave him to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroine88
Dec 29, 2021

bird with big dick posted:

i love her she is my waifu

Is she worth all the pain you must inflict?