Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

You're a bit higher ELO than me though so what the gently caress do I know lol

Oh, I promise you that isn't what this is. A few dozen Elo definitely doesn't give anyone bragging rights, let alone, "totally ignore good advice" rights. I definitely need to play more Rapid. If you go look at the ChessDojo free site, they give you credit for all sorts of chess activity, but any games faster than 15+10 essentially go in the "wasting time" bucket. (Which is fine, chess is a time-waster.)

Arrhythmia posted:

I play blitz because I can play more games that way.

I told myself a while back I was going to play 3+2 until I figured out the opening directions I wanted to really focus on, because I definitely have spent a lot of time "just trying stuff out." I discovered a few I absolutely hate playing (KID, Caro, I love the idea of the French but can't play it for poo poo for some reason). I seem to be a lot more comfortable challenging the center from move 1. So either Sicilians or Scandis, the Scotch/Alapin/Fantasy. Mostly running out c5 early against d4 openings and seeing where things lead.

But that phase has taken long enough, and it's time to knock it off and focus on other stuff. Such as:

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the follow-up moves f3 and g4. you've brought all this fire power into the center, literally all of your major and minor pieces are staring at d5 and e5 and you've prevented your opponent from doing the same. so why begin focusing on the part of the board none of your pieces are looking at?

This is the kind of stuff I need to start accumulating. Good words, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Huxley posted:

I love the idea of the French but can't play it for poo poo for some reason).

It’s because all the online opponents play the exchange (e4 e6 d4 d5 exd exd), which is boring. I find I get better online positions with the French Sicilian, e4 c5 Nf3 e6.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

It’s because all the online opponents play the exchange (e4 e6 d4 d5 exd exd), which is boring. I find I get better online positions with the French Sicilian, e4 c5 Nf3 e6.

I was so hyped for the French I even bought (and returned) a Chessable course on it. It was specifically designed for club players and had a great central idea, every line was based on trading light bishops ASAP.

But I played 25-30 games with it and lost 2/3 of them, and I just never found my way to a middle game that felt comfortable. Oh well! I've been playing the Sicilian a while, I bet you get a lot of Frenchy feeling games with e6.

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
There's a whole controversy in chess right now where the top grandmasters are saying they want to play chess960 or fisher random or whatever the gently caress you call it at classical time control because they're tired of having to memorise opening theory until say move 20 until they get out of preparation and finally start playing real chess and searching for tactics n poo poo. Now, I'm not sure how valid that is, but chess players seem to find more value in actually finding good chess moves in novel positions rather than working out if their memory is better than their opponents'. And those tactics clearly have more value at quicker time controls than classical. Something to think about I guess

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Magnus purposely plays sub-par openings to get prodigies out of prep ASAP and gently caress them up tactically when he can

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

multistability posted:

There's a whole controversy in chess right now where the top grandmasters are saying they want to play chess960 or fisher random or whatever the gently caress you call it at classical time control because they're tired of having to memorise opening theory until say move 20 until they get out of preparation and finally start playing real chess and searching for tactics n poo poo. Now, I'm not sure how valid that is, but chess players seem to find more value in actually finding good chess moves in novel positions rather than working out if their memory is better than their opponents'. And those tactics clearly have more value at quicker time controls than classical. Something to think about I guess

Yeah I could see GMs being frustrated by this in the age of chess engines. There was a random Hikaru video I saw a while ago where he commented that when you're playing against an opponent's prep, you aren't really playing against them, you're playing against Stockfish. It just kind of comes down to how willing you are to memorize all the best moves the computer tells you to play and trying to anticipate how deeply your opponent will play into your preferred line, which doesn't seem very fun.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

quote:

CHESScom
We have detected that one or more of your recent opponents has violated our Fair Play Policy. As compensation for potentially unfair rating losses, we adjusted your following ratings:

Daily: 1206 + 10 => 1216

:cool:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All that said, sometimes it's a lot of fun to have a dumb trick memorized.

https://lichess.org/5OaoeM1HNNpY

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Huxley posted:

All that said, sometimes it's a lot of fun to have a dumb trick memorized.

https://lichess.org/5OaoeM1HNNpY

That's a good example of something I don't understand about the engine. After black's blunder, it says +5. But after playing the next 2 moves, it settles back to what I would expect, +3.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

That's a good example of something I don't understand about the engine. After black's blunder, it says +5. But after playing the next 2 moves, it settles back to what I would expect, +3.

It depends on the search depth, sometimes making a couple moves into the best line allows it to find something new that it didn't quite reach from the initial position that changes the evaluation.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I could see GMs being frustrated by this in the age of chess engines.

It predates chess engines. I remember Seirawan complaining about it in one of his books in the 90s, and of course there's a reason the most popular variant is called Fischer Random Chess.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
you tell yourself you have a decent grasp on endgames, and then the next thing you know, you're white and trying to figure out if this is winning or drawing

so does white have winning chances, and what is the best move here?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

My first instinct is Bxg4 trading the bishop for two pawns and creating connected passers and black probably can’t defend the pawn on the H file either

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

same instinct

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Yeah same

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

you tell yourself you have a decent grasp on endgames, and then the next thing you know, you're white and trying to figure out if this is winning or drawing

i think you have to sacrifice the bishop because if you preserve it by moving it then g3 absolutely fucks you. once you sacrifice the bishop with bxg4 you should be able to win all 3 pawns and then it's just an endgame where you're up 2 pawns.

wait, unless, bc4? it's actually checkmate in 1 if they don't respond to it and I can't see a response that they have that is actually good

do they even have a response other than giving you their rook for free? lol that might just be mate in 1 or free rook. they can check you with the pawn but that doesn't actually change anything other than making it mate in 2 or free rook. yeah, do bc4.

Actually, maybe they can sneak out if they respond with f4.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 2, 2024

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah that looks pretty winning for white but probably not a trivial one since while you're way up on material, black's rook gives them enough counterplay to be annoying and if you don't deal with those pawns they are going to be a big problem for you. It's the sort of position where my gut would be to try to mop up their pawns (which seems easy to do by saccing the bishop for them) and then look to try to force a rook trade so all that's left is black's king vs. white's king + connected pawns. It's also the sort of thing where I would probably blunder one of those pawns during the "trying to trade rooks" phase of that plan though and that can easily end up turning into a drawn endgame.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

cock hero flux posted:

i think you have to sacrifice the bishop because if you preserve it by moving it then g3 absolutely fucks you. once you sacrifice the bishop with bxg4 you should be able to win all 3 pawns and then it's just an endgame where you're up 2 pawns.

wait, unless, bc4? it's actually checkmate in 1 if they don't respond to it and I can't see a response that they have that is actually good

do they even have a response other than giving you their rook for free? lol that might just be mate in 1 or free rook. they can check you with the pawn but that doesn't actually change anything other than making it mate in 2 or free rook. yeah, do bc4.

Actually, maybe they can sneak out if they respond with f4.

Yeah, your edit is right, f4 lets them sneak out. Best move is just slamming your bishop right into them, as you said. Black's left with no good way of stopping you from eating their pawns and then marching up the board.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

okay, I wanted to know the answer to this so I just went and put it through stockfish, which has informed me that:
Sacrificing the bishop with bxg4 is the best move, and is winning for white as was pretty intuitive on first glance. bc4 is an immediate disaster for black unless they play f4, which after a fairly torturous series of moves ends up with all pawns cleared from the board and white having bishop and rook vs black's rook.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 2, 2024

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
yeah, white needs to trade the bishop for the pawns, then make the right moves to trade the rook for the h pawn and the rook. then move the connected past pawns up the board

kind of obvious in retrospect, but i just settled for the draw :(

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Spent 20 minutes trying to solve a puzzle on the lichess app only to realize it was an analysis board showing a random position.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

^ Been laughing at this for a couple minutes now, thanks

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Spent 20 minutes trying to solve a puzzle on the lichess app only to realize it was an analysis board showing a random position.

On the plus side, if you solve it, you will have solved all of chess!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Salt Fish posted:

this is one of my two chess related hobbies. the other is trying to solve endgame puzzles without labeled coordinates and getting the direction the pawns move in wrong

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

please tell me you spotted a tactic

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Not only did I not find a tactic, the move I played took the eval from like -1 to -3

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

And now I too have spent several minutes on a non-puzzle puzzle. I guess I'd play Bd3 but without much of a follow up plan besides maybe getting my queen to c2 and getting the rooks on the d file

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 3, 2024

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I really want to get my a2 knight into a better position here so I'm also looking at Bd3 to try and shift that undefended knight on e4 that's preventing it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm really sorry to anyone who seriously tried to engage with that position, which was reached on the toilet against level 1 stockfish. As a palate cleanser here's a mate in 2:

(Composed by Hermann von Gottschall in 1926)

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

in case anyone wants a hint, here are the observations i made in order to solve it:

black has no legal moves -- need to find a move that avoids stalemate
the g1 square somehow needs to be covered in the final position
its not possible to cover the g1 square in a single move, it takes two moves, and the 2nd move needs to be checkmate
the queen is the only piece that can cover the g1 square in time

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Helianthus Annuus posted:

in case anyone wants a hint, here are the observations i made in order to solve it:

black has no legal moves -- need to find a move that avoids stalemate
the g1 square somehow needs to be covered in the final position
its not possible to cover the g1 square in a single move, it takes two moves, and the 2nd move needs to be checkmate
the queen is the only piece that can cover the g1 square in time

I resign.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

I'm really sorry to anyone who seriously tried to engage with that position, which was reached on the toilet against level 1 stockfish. As a palate cleanser here's a mate in 2:

(Composed by Hermann von Gottschall in 1926)

Qa7, Kxh2, Nf1#?

feels like i'm missing something but that's the best I've got

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

cock hero flux posted:

Qa7, Kxh2, Nf1#?

feels like i'm missing something but that's the best I've got

That is what I got too

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

It seems my chess super power is instantly seeing the best move my opponent can make 0.1 seconds after I make my blunder.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My chess superpower is attacking a dominated Knight with a pawn for no good reason, instantly giving it a fork.

e: Alternately, my chess nickname is "Mr. Up a Bishop, Down 2 Minutes"

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

My chess superpower is trying to decide which of two pawns to push in the middlegame and unerringly choosing the one that drops the eval by 2.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

regulargonzalez posted:

My chess superpower is trying to decide which of two pawns to push in the middlegame and unerringly choosing the one that drops the eval by 2.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

My power easily overcomes The Opposite

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

My power is taking two and a half minutes to figure out the best mildly consequential developing middlegame move in a 5+3.

Turns out Rfe1 was top engine! But I lost on time :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Good puzzle (chesscom 2100ish):

https://www.chess.com/puzzles/problem/43571

I didn't get it right, but it's very instructive once you figure out what it's trying to teach you.