Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Because most keys are. Are you used to sone weird keyboard where the enter is in the middle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
Directly above the enter key is a common location for the backslash key. But directly to the left is also common.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was making a joke about how the enter and return keys are treated the same these days, even though they weren't always.

TBH backslash on the left of the bottom row always made sense to me. It means the slashes are at either end of it and leaning in the direction of their names.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Yeah the most common US layout is backslash above enter sharing with pipe, and the Irish keyboards had it first key to the left of Enter sharing with something else, I forget which. It was just odd to use.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's a non-standard Irish keyboard so. It's normally the key immediately to the right of the left shift, between it and Z. There's a bunch of weird competing standards and it's a pain to get a laptop with a keyboard that isn't slightly poo poo in some capacity these days. My current one has changed the shape of the return key and moved the "'/@" and "~/#" keys so that they're awkward to hit or too easy to hit. I keep sending messages where they should have apostrophes in chat programs.

Of course this is an English layout keyboard, so I'm blaming that for everything :colbert:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ANSI > ISO keyboard layout. Who the gently caress wants half their keyboard to be the return key?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"The Homer" rear end keyboard. You can never find return when you're mad!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:smith:

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

hope you sprung for the overnight shipping on that

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

vanity slug posted:

ANSI > ISO keyboard layout. Who the gently caress wants half their keyboard to be the return key?
They're the same size! The shape is what matters. I want my tetris block!

:magical:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

They're the same size! The shape is what matters. I want my tetris block!

i want two big shift keys

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

vanity slug posted:

i want two big shift keys

Why when you never use them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They would if they were big enough

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Relying on the straight piece too much is the mark of a bad tetris player. Probably.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Why when you never use them.

they cancel each other out

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Bone Crimes posted:

hope you sprung for the overnight shipping on that

I did but I didn't specify which night.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention. The new hire's travel plans got snarled and he'll be here on the 29th. Fortunately for all concerned.

He arrived on the 29th but, by mutual agreement, decided to take a few days to settle into the area and housing and etc before he started. He was here on Friday for a tour and badging.

I offered to give him his laptop then. He declined. This will in future be known as mistake #1.

I come in at 7:59 on the dot today and my boss is waiting for me.

"Have you seen NewGuy's laptop?"

"Yes, it's in secure storage with his name on a post-it."

"I assure you, it's not."

"Well, it was on Friday. Hang on."

I look up the ticket and ping the asset tag. It answers. I remote it and check the /users directory. "Huh. Helen A. Handbasket?" I look at tickets again.

6:30 this morning, when the first tech gets in, Helen was standing there. She'd dropped her laptop - or "it had fallen off the table" - over the weekend and now it doesn't boot. And she's due in a meeting at 7. "Asset (blahblah) was ready to deploy. Set her up with it." Then he'd updated NewGuy's hire ticket. "I needed Asset (blahblah) for ticket (mumble). Imaging Asset (yaketyyak) for NewGuy."

Asset (yaketyyak) is ... okay. It's a standard issue. About a year old. Nothing wrong with it, except for a slightly-shiny spacebar. Asset (blahblah) was customized, though. Looks the same externally, but it has an i7, 64 gbs of ram, and a terabyte Samsung 990 Pro.

My boss has A Bright Idea. He'll go and get Helen - and (blahblah) - and explain the situation, while I go check on the imaging for (yakketyyak) with the intent to assign it to Helen. And so he makes like a north-going Zax, while I make like a south-going Zax. Except not long afterwards, I run into another north-going Zax in the form of Bonnie. Bonnie works in Helen's department, but that's her day job; by night she streams on twitch (and, rumor has it, occasionally on camgirl sites). Bonnie knows her hardware. Bonnie had a quick look at Helen's new toy and is arriving at IT with two questions: a) since when are we buying gear like that and b) where's hers?

After I get rid of her, I find (yaketyyak) sitting in the lab, which is ready to go, and turn around back to the main office to see what luck my boss has had. None at all, it turns out. Helen knows how good the "loaner" laptop is -

("somehow", grouses my boss, and I remind myself to tell Bonnie she owes me one for not underbussing her)

- and wants to keep it, and her boss is backing her up on that. This is about to become political.

And that is when NewGuy's grandboss (a VP) walks in and wants to know where the laptop is, and by the way, why are there only two monitors (37" curved, obtained at great expense and at the last minute) on the desk, why does he have a wired keyboard, and why does he have a wired trackball? Weren't the requirements clear? Do we perhaps have reading comprehension issues?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

If I were your boss I'd have been lighting everyone under the sun up about this from day one, because this is going to become His Fault.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
That sounds like the perfect moment to name names and list everything you've said here. 100 truthful. Drop this in the vp's domain. Let that poo poo burn to the ground

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Not enough buses available to throw everyone that deserves it under.

Here's hoping new guy was a contract hire, so when he realizes what a poo poo show he's in for the company is on the hook for $$$ when he inevitably bails.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

sfwarlock posted:

Whole lotta drama

Does this place not have any security cameras (I assume not if people are just pilfering from others desks)? Was your co-worker in the dark about this, because why the gently caress would they just give out a customized laptop like that? And hell yes I'd be naming names, because goddamn, I've worked fast food with more trustworthy people.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

you ate my cat posted:

If I were your boss I'd have been lighting everyone under the sun up about this from day one, because this is going to become His Fault.

poo poo, if I was a mere underling I'd be lighting people up until I got either fired or written up.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It also sounds like warlocks boss is part of the problem. Who the gently caress is Helen to get away with refusing to return IT's hardware back to IT and why did boss allow it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Cowardly management is worse than useless.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
God, gently caress, tell me about it.

I'm thankful that my manager is a colossal rear end in a top hat. I stay on his good side, and he's there for me to weaponize when I need it. All I need to do is not gently caress up.

He wields so much power at this point that he'll tell his own boss no and routinely gets away with it.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

And that is when NewGuy's grandboss (a VP) walks in and wants to know where the laptop is, and by the way, why are there only two monitors (37" curved, obtained at great expense and at the last minute) on the desk, why does he have a wired keyboard, and why does he have a wired trackball? Weren't the requirements clear? Do we perhaps have reading comprehension issues?

Please tell me this ends in bus-chucking.

Also, are you sure you don't live in a comedy skit? Have you checked under the urinal for the script?

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Renegret posted:

God, gently caress, tell me about it.

I'm thankful that my manager is a colossal rear end in a top hat. I stay on his good side, and he's there for me to weaponize when I need it. All I need to do is not gently caress up.

He wields so much power at this point that he'll tell his own boss no and routinely gets away with it.

This is the kind of boss I'm trying to be, I'm just having trouble training my staff to use it. Well, minus the collosal rear end in a top hat part. I've been trying to tell them that, if they have trouble with anyone, bring that poo poo to me. I'm not paying them to fight those fights, I'm getting paid to fight them so they can do their jobs unimpeded. They've just had such lovely weak bosses in the past that they're slow to adopt. I'm just going to keep calling others out on their shittiness and backing my people until they get it, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Che Delilas posted:

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

lol this is hilarious that your department keeps managing to snatch defeat from the jaws of "just barely making it out of here"

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Che Delilas posted:

My boss is unable to say the word No, to anything and everything. Even if it's something not related to IT at all he will not say no. It's annoying at times.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I am totally invested in this story of a light-fingered workforce versus the milquetoast manager!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Che Delilas posted:

:emptyquote:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Lazy and forgetful is right behind that.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Can confirm from recent experience that a spineless manager is actively worse that no manager at all.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I am totally invested in this story of a light-fingered workforce versus the milquetoast manager!

Their fingers are so light that they can't hold up a 42" monitor

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
On another topic entirely, Facebook appears to be having an outage.

"No, the 'internet' is not down, Facebook is having problems."
"No, I do not need to fix your computer, your computer is working fine. Yes, I know it's not loading Facebook, but that's not its fault."
"No, I will not 'reboot the router'. That phrase makes no sense in a business context."
"No, I will not file a ticket with our ISP. It's also not their fault."
"No, I will absolutely not let you in the server room to 'reboot the router' yourself."
"Yes, when you hotspot on your phone it's still broken. No, that doesn't mean it's your computer."
"No, I will not 'file a ticket' with Facebook. I'm sure they know."
"Yes, I understand how important our Social Media Presence is. I am taking this seriously. I am 'doing nothing' because there is nothing I can do."
"No, I will not join the Crisis Response Action Planning call for this Level 5 Emergency. I am busy fixing things that I can actually do something about."

Please let them leave me alone before I have to break out the car analogies...

EDIT: (defeated) "If a tree fell across the entrance to the parking lot, you wouldn't call your mechanic and tell him your car must be broken because you can't drive to work..."

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 5, 2024

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Arquinsiel posted:

Relying on the straight piece too much is the mark of a bad tetris player. Probably.

Yeah, T-spin or bust!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sfwarlock posted:

On another topic entirely, Facebook appears to be having an outage.
<snip some bullshit>

I was IT Director for a design studio in2010-ish when MCI's big interchange point in the San Jose area died overnight.

"Yes, there's a big outage. Yes, we can't reach a lot of websites. No, I can't fix it. No, I'm not waiting on hold for 90 minutes to be told what I can read on their status page. No, my calling in to report the outage won't make them fix it faster, they started waking VPs up at 3am."

Waste
Of
My
Goddamn
Time

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

At this job that I’ve been at for 1.5 years, every single site we have - all 3 of them have gone down because accounting doesn’t pay the internet bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

someone got autocorrected and now the first ticket i see when i start the day is "monitoring devices connected to my wife" and i cannot stop laughing at it