Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I mean, I can't judge too harshly. I've snorted drugs off a toilet seat (well, off a business card that was on a toilet seat). But that's because we were in a club and toilet stalls were the only private place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Silly Burrito posted:

Don’t forget one item:

* Make new To-do list

Never!

Anyway my list will wait until tomorrow morning because there was line at the mechanic I usually go to so I couldn't get my state inspection. I'm still gonna go out to the pinball museum afterward and generally plan on doing nothing much tomorrow. :colbert:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I early voted on Friday for Nikki Haley and literally someone named Judge Slaughter.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

General Dog posted:

I early voted on Friday for Nikki Haley and literally someone named Judge Slaughter.

gently caress, we can vote for wrestlers now?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

General Dog posted:

Are they a Cormac McCarthy character? Or a 2000ad Character?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I stretched the truth, "Judge" is just her title and not her first name. Rated 2 pinnochios

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

General Dog posted:

I stretched the truth, "Judge" is just her title and not her first name. Rated 2 pinnochios

I assumed you were voting for a judge with the last name Slaughter. But it still sounds like someone for a Cormac McCarthy book or a 2000AD comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How can the director of Furious 7 make another movie that's also so clearly about family and end up with Aquaman 2?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

To use a stale anecdote: Coppola made Godfather 3.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Air Skwirl posted:

How can the director of Furious 7 make another movie that's also so clearly about family and end up with Aquaman 2?

I am convinced that the only reason they didn't make him a single father (which it seems like he is excluding Amber Heard's 20 seconds of screen time) was just so they could keep in the "dodges baby pee" joke.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

yeah, voted uncommitted this morning as well. Very dead, no baked goods for sale at the school gym I vote at. Disappointment.

“No preference” here in the former home of Madison cawthorn.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Uncommitted via mail-in voting: gosh bless Washington state.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

kiimo posted:

I am sad to say I did this out of a toilet in college

Is this better or worse than beer bonging out of a traffic cone, which I witnessed multiple times at football tailgates in college

I’m not sure when Oregon primaries, but it was always late, and this year there’s no real options for The Dems. I’ll make sure I get my November ballot though.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

I am sad to say I did this out of a toilet in college

At least you keep your innards free of the scourge of avocados.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

General Dog posted:

I've encountered doctors named "Hack" and "Kilgore" which both seemed a little on-the-nose

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Hi friends, did you know Buldak also makes a packaged fried rice? It is also like fire.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

Hi friends, did you know Buldak also makes a packaged fried rice? It is also like fire.

How do you make packaged fried rice? I thought it was just you had leftover rice and then you fried it?

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022
Dune was so good I'm probably going to see it in theaters twice

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

MaximilianK posted:

Dune was so good I'm probably going to see it in theaters twice

Thinking about going to an AMC this time so i can try and score a bucket if any are left

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dune 2 felt like watching Attack of the Clones for the first time again, which I mean as a compliment. Just a full movie of, "wow, there's a totally new and alien image I've never seen before."

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've tried to watch the Dune a couple of times but I can't get past that nose tube situation. I like my space operas nose-tube free (unless recovering after wampa attack)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

I've tried to watch the Dune a couple of times but I can't get past that nose tube situation. I like my space operas nose-tube free (unless recovering after wampa attack)

I can smell your offworlder waterfat, even through these filtplugs

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I detect not all of you have read the books

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

There’s a book?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Fiz, how ya feeling about this race?

https://x.com/jbendery/status/1765177490392105204?s=20

It’d be weird for SC to the saner Carolina for a bit. Sad even.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

a sexual elk posted:

There’s a book?

It's how many books, that is the trap.

But the first step in avoiding a trap is knowing of its existence.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

My wife finally got me to start the D&D Drizzt series. Not bad, then saw how many there are in the series when I went to get the second book.

Then again I’ve read the Yuuzhan Vong series…twice

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
JRR Tolkien wrapped it all up in 3 books and that's including like a third of the pages being Tom Bombadil songs written out in full, this should be a lesson to these so-called Dune writers

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
if you want a great sci fi series that values brevity and wrapping things up quickly, check out Warhammer 40k - The Horus Heresy. How many books are in Dune again? 16? that's CUTE. How big is the biggest book?? page count???

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

oh ho ho look who didn't read the silmarillion or the lost tales or the hobbit like me, the big old idiot who slogged through those and never wants to hear an elven name ever again

Also Tolkien knew he ended those too quickly and had to add a bunch more in the appendices where some of the best parts reside, like what Gimli and Legolas do and where Merry and Pip are buried.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If you made law school students read The Silmarillion there'd be no more lawyers

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pron on VHS posted:

How many books are in Dune again? 16?

sighs.

inserts the gom jabbar in your neck.

no, you ANIMAL. There are six.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Those giant 3 tomes in the top right of the stacks, cover two sword fights.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Why are they all named like Paul and Terry and Eric, instead of something cool and intergalactic like Luke

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Dune talk reminds me that I need to visit Florence, Oregon.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Fat Jesus posted:

I detect not all of you have read the books

How about the batshit David Lynch movie with Sting

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zEx96aVAKs4

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

a sexual elk posted:

My wife finally got me to start the D&D Drizzt series. Not bad, then saw how many there are in the series when I went to get the second book.

Then again I’ve read the Yuuzhan Vong series…twice

I mean, look up how many Jack Reacher books there are.
Or Mathew Scudder or Sherlock Holmes. You find a voice you're good at writing and a genre you're good at writing and you just sorta stick with it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Why are they all named like Paul and Terry and Eric, instead of something cool and intergalactic like Luke

Duncan Idaho doesn’t do it for ya?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Air Skwirl posted:

I mean, look up how many Jack Reacher books there are.
Or Mathew Scudder or Sherlock Holmes. You find a voice you're good at writing and a genre you're good at writing and you just sorta stick with it.

I was curious if Rowling had the record for most books sold and looked up a list. #1 was Shakespeare, but Agatha Christie was tied with him which was pretty impressive. Absolutely dominating at a genre.

And #3 was some British lady who had written 700+ romance novels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I believe you will find that the top selling book is the Bible, by God