Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The only big Zelda change I'd like to see in this format is having big dungeons in the style of the shrines.

Being able to quickly build a little vehicle to skip 70% of a dungeon is really loving stupid.

Limit the powers/resources and you can get some amazing puzzles and gimmick fights going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The next Zelda should have more levels where you ride around a dungeon in a minecart

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The next Zelda should have more levels where you ride around a dungeon in a minecart

That owned. Flying around shooting a volcano hydra tho,,. That’s when I knew the game was goated

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
im gonna be honest i will give any game that has a minecart maze level at least an 8/10

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Inzombiac posted:

The only big Zelda change I'd like to see in this format is having big dungeons in the style of the shrines.

Being able to quickly build a little vehicle to skip 70% of a dungeon is really loving stupid.

Limit the powers/resources and you can get some amazing puzzles and gimmick fights going.

On the other hand: it owns. If I don't feel like using my brain I can just cheese my way through the puzzle.

If I don't feel like doing that, then I can solve it the "intended" way. Having more options is a good thing.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I could definitely go for the return of Real Dungeons; the lead up to each Temple was fantastic (I was almost breathless at the Underwater Waterworks) but the regionally-reskinned Divine Beasts masquerading as Temples left a lot to be desired

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

you control the buttons you press

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Silver Falcon posted:

On the other hand: it owns. If I don't feel like using my brain I can just cheese my way through the puzzle.

If I don't feel like doing that, then I can solve it the "intended" way. Having more options is a good thing.

I don't disagree with you but I am very annoyed at GAMERS who must do everything and """efficiently""" as possible. This usually means going as fast as possible and never soaking in anything. They then go online to screech about how boring a game is when, in reality, they made the game boring by being a boring person.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

symbolic posted:

you control the buttons you press

I want to control the buttons other people press.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Feels Villeneuve posted:

im gonna be honest i will give any game that has a minecart maze level at least an 8/10

hosed up to rate Donkey Kong 64 so high

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Why isnt dk64 on the app you cowards

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Inzombiac posted:

I don't disagree with you but I am very annoyed at GAMERS who must do everything and """efficiently""" as possible. This usually means going as fast as possible and never soaking in anything. They then go online to screech about how boring a game is when, in reality, they made the game boring by being a boring person.

As one of those gamers, I can't really help it! If I try to do things slowly or take circuitous paths or even stop to take in the scenery my brain just tells me I'm wasting time and it feels worse than if I'm playing the efficient way. I wish I could be the kind of person who can take several hours designing a barely functional boat to cross a river in ToTK, but I have terminal efficiency brain and independently discovered the hover bike and felt like using anything else was a waste of time and effort. This is also why I saved a universal solution to the Hudson signs. I don't go online to screech about the game being boring though, I just recognize it's not the right kind of fun for me and go back to playing Factorio or replaying an older Zelda or something. But I also don't think it's WRONG to want your specific type of brain fun catered to, especially when a series USED to do so.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
nah i do get that it was a legit problem in totk that the best thing to make in most situations was "airplane"

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Inzombiac posted:

Oh I get you. Those people annoy the poo poo out of me too.
And it extra sucks when those idiots get their way and options are taken away. I like having options to Just Not if I don't feel like fully engaging.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I could definitely go for the return of Real Dungeons; the lead up to each Temple was fantastic (I was almost breathless at the Underwater Waterworks) but the regionally-reskinned Divine Beasts masquerading as Temples left a lot to be desired

Yeah I'd like more legacy dungeons in addition to caves and wells. I would also like a good bit more variety in enemies(bring back Darknuts and Iron Knuckles!) as well as the story being mire streamlined(finding the tears out of order or doing the Korok Forest early spoils a LOT of things).

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah gently caress those guys. Except Infinity Gaia who's cool and gets it since I'm similar and likewise don't complain when I know it's not my thing(TotK is still totally my thing though).

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 5, 2024

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Infinity Gaia posted:

As one of those gamers, I can't really help it! If I try to do things slowly or take circuitous paths or even stop to take in the scenery my brain just tells me I'm wasting time and it feels worse than if I'm playing the efficient way. I wish I could be the kind of person who can take several hours designing a barely functional boat to cross a river in ToTK, but I have terminal efficiency brain and independently discovered the hover bike and felt like using anything else was a waste of time and effort. This is also why I saved a universal solution to the Hudson signs. I don't go online to screech about the game being boring though, I just recognize it's not the right kind of fun for me and go back to playing Factorio or replaying an older Zelda or something. But I also don't think it's WRONG to want your specific type of brain fun catered to, especially when a series USED to do so.

That's fine, I get it. I'm a "drink it in" sort of person but there were times in the depths I made a hoverboard because I was tired and impatient.

Funny that you mention Factorio because I play a lot of Satisfactory and will spend hours tearing down a system just to rebuild it a little more efficiently and I find that very gratifying.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

doomrider7 posted:

Yeah I'd like more legacy dungeons in addition to caves and wells. I would also like a good bit more variety in enemies(bring back Darknuts and Iron Knuckles!) as well as the story being mire streamlined(finding the tears out of order or doing the Korok Forest early spoils a LOT of things).

Yeah gently caress those guys. Except Infinity Gaia who's cool and gets it since I'm similar and likewise don't complain when I know it's not my thing(TotK is still totally my thing though).

I think my ideal game progression would be a blend of the open world style with a more freeform version of what WW did

-Intro
-Three Dungeons, any order
-Master Sword
-Late-game quest/dungeon akin to Spirit Temple or Hyrule Castle
-Final Dungeon and Boss

With each successive step being unlocked by completing the last one

Also gently caress yeah Darknuts

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Feels Villeneuve posted:

nah i do get that it was a legit problem in totk that the best thing to make in most situations was "airplane"

lol for every person who can only think of an airplane as the solution there's a dozen others who make rockets or hot air balloons or hover platforms or use a tower to launch up and parachute down or a thousand other ways to solve most puzzles

e: i guess my personal biggest issue with totk discourse are the people with no imagination thinking that is a failing of the game

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 5, 2024

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I think my ideal game progression would be a blend of the open world style with a more freeform version of what WW did

-Intro
-Master Sword
-Late-game quest/dungeon akin to Spirit Temple or Hyrule Castle
-Final Dungeon and Boss

With each successive step being unlocked by completing the last one

Also gently caress yeah Darknuts

Agree with this loadout...except MORE than just six dungeons. I'd go with eight or nine as well as several mini-dungeons like the caves and catacombs from Elden Ring as well as some mini dungeons that are required for doing the main ones(stuff like the Kakariko and Ikana Wells as well as Ikana Castle and the Gerudo Fortresses).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Next Zelda should be a 2d platformer like donkey Kong country tropical freeze

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Zelda 2-2.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
A Zelda 2 remake in the style of the Wonder Boys would be extremely hype but it’ll never happen because Nintendo is boring and save.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

zelda 2 is way better than you remember

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Virtual Hydlide?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

An Actual Princess posted:

zelda 2 is way better than you remember

bears repeating

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Zelda 2 remake in the form of a metroidvania.

You can thank me later.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I do think Zelda 2 is better than people give it credit for, but the confluence of the mechanics making the last stretch of the game super tedious and frustrating is hard to get over.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The last stretch? You only ever got to death mountain?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

doomrider7 posted:

Agree with this loadout...except MORE than just six dungeons. I'd go with eight or nine as well as several mini-dungeons like the caves and catacombs from Elden Ring as well as some mini dungeons that are required for doing the main ones(stuff like the Kakariko and Ikana Wells as well as Ikana Castle and the Gerudo Fortresses).

Including the late-game dungeon and final dungeon my outline has eight :) but yes, I agree with all of this

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Including the late-game dungeon and final dungeon my outline has eight :) but yes, I agree with all of this

I actually enjoyed some of those more than the main dungeons. Gerudo Pirate Fortress was fun as was the Ikana Well and Castle(Stone Tower was just over the top awesome though to beat).

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Some more news about the Yuzu thing.

https://twitter.com/HikikomoriMedia/status/1764894963194597458?t=37VjD1XlC0HoZJvMtQXxmA&s=19

quote:

The Yuzu devs settled to avoid discovery. They were going to get hosed with multiple infringements for making roms and distributing them between the Yuzu devs, often pre-release of the game. They allegedly had a rom stash on their discord too. Nintendo ninjas were inside the discord, watching. Now all the Yuzu devs have turned over all electronic devices, websites, logs... Oh and Yuzu was running telemetry in the background collecting "anonymous" data. Our heroes, everyone.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 6, 2024

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Nintendo is getting absolutely slammed on Reddit. I hope this doesn't affect the Switch 2.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Ah poo poo, will they ever recover?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
People are mad that they can't steal as easily any more?

Yeah yeah, corpos bad. But c'mon, Nintendo are not the bad guys in this situation.

Also, if this means fewer people bragging about playing games early cuz they pirated them, then good. I don't care if you pirate. But don't brag about it. It's a bad look.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fun Times! posted:

Nintendo is getting absolutely slammed on Reddit. I hope this doesn't affect the Switch 2.

oh no not on Reddit. lmfao

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Breaking News: Switch 2 delayed due to upset people on r/yuzu

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
shigeru miyamoto is at home right now crying his eyes out because he won't get reddit gold

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

symbolic posted:

oh no not on Reddit. lmfao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lmfao again

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

nintendo... has lost the mandate of reddit.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
These people that hate Nintendo are always the most desperate to play their games its very strange behavior