Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I went from riding high with the best valuation and opening new companies and being a sicko in 41 to selling all my shares and shuffling trains to afford an 8 train.

Good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Chill la Chill posted:

I went from riding high with the best valuation and opening new companies and being a sicko in 41 to selling all my shares and shuffling trains to afford an 8 train.

Good game

Wow, GH2 really opened up the character classes

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Chill la Chill posted:

Good game

So company A owns company B which owns company C.
C buys junk assets from A at an inflated value. B engineers a situation where it is forced to liquidate its underperforming assets (including the overvalued C shares) leaving it in a healthy state. A then merges with B, giving it a pile of money and assets and no liabilities.

Has the owner/director of A committed any crimes they could be prosecuted for?

Asking for a friend.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
the most ingenious design in gloomhaven is the way they hide the fact that you’re just doing a procedure over and over and not really playing a game and they maintain the bamboozle long enough to sucker people to vote it up on bgg before they drop it or realize the truth and forget to update the rating

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Admiralty Flag posted:

Wow, GH2 really opened up the character classes

Train baron lets you suplex train companies

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

train banon? there’s not much point, he leaves the party for good after the first ultros fight anyway

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

PRADA SLUT posted:

the most ingenious design in gloomhaven is the way they hide the fact that you’re just doing a procedure over and over and not really playing a game and they maintain the bamboozle long enough to sucker people to vote it up on bgg before they drop it or realize the truth and forget to update the rating

Skill issue. Always play hard for XP and gold, and especially for your retirement condition. Who cares if you take longer to complete the scenario or take extra damage? Crank that XP! Level up constantly. Buy new items constantly. That way, it's not the same procedure. You get to adapt your procedure.

And then retire and get a new character. Never accept a retirement condition that is beyond your control. By the time you've played through 6 characters, you've beaten the game and got tons of hours of fun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PRADA SLUT posted:

you’re just doing a procedure over and over and not really playing a game
This is the kind of distinction that is either semantics or philosophy or bullshit.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

PRADA SLUT posted:

I thought I was doing an activity but it was just a series of procedures.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Board Games 5E: they hide the fact that you’re just doing a procedure over and over

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I thought I was having fun but it was my brain tricking me with chemicals.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
man, there was a good 4 hours before anyone responded to the obvious bait post

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

the holy poopacy posted:

man, there was a good 4 hours before anyone responded to the obvious bait post

Procedural drama

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
They just announced a new Mage Knight expansion. I wonder what dumb bullshit the enemies will do this time.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Sokani posted:

They just announced a new Mage Knight expansion. I wonder what dumb bullshit the enemies will do this time.

And how poorly the components will match the existing game

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Sokani posted:

I’m happy that the MK fans finally get a new expansion

I’m sure both of them will enjoy it

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I’m happy that the MK fans finally get a new expansion

I’m sure both of them will enjoy it

Yes, I’m sure my MK buddy and I will have a great time with it :colbert:

But only if they finally add more deed cards

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

DashingGentleman posted:

Yes, I’m sure my MK buddy and I will have a great time with it :colbert:

But only if they finally add more deed cards

Odds that they will be the same size as the existing ones?

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Saw the SU&SD review for Earthborne Rangers (https://earthbornegames.com/)
It has an official demo available on TTS, giving it a try.

Stuffed a dangerous plant into a stew pot, I'm now late pledging the 2nd printing on gamefoundry.

(spoilers for two of the cards in the TTS Demo for Earthborne Rangers)

Also loving the deck building mechanics for this so far.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Modiphius is making a Mass Effect board game by Eric Lang and Calvin Wong.

https://www.polygon.com/tabletop-games/24090070/mass-effect-board-game-release-date-price

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

CitizenKeen posted:

https://www.polygon.com/tabletop-games/24090070/mass-effect-board-game-release-date-price

I wonder how they will translate a 90% story based experience onto the living room table.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Molrok posted:

Saw the SU&SD review for Earthborne Rangers (https://earthbornegames.com/)
It has an official demo available on TTS, giving it a try.

Stuffed a dangerous plant into a stew pot, I'm now late pledging the 2nd printing on gamefoundry.

(spoilers for two of the cards in the TTS Demo for Earthborne Rangers)

Also loving the deck building mechanics for this so far.

Ugh I'm tired and my brain tried to instinctively tried to parse "Being/Human/Ranger" as pronouns and kind of just shutdown for a good five seconds like it ran into some sort of runtime error.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

haddedam posted:

I wonder how they will translate a 90% story based experience onto the living room table.

the sequel to tales of the arabian nights

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

CitizenKeen posted:

I wonder how it'll stack up against ISS Vanguard which already is a pretty good translation of Mass Effect into a board game.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Is this a promo? Or a joke?

!Klams fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 6, 2024

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
wow, Różalski's art just keeps improving

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Was it Jamey Stegmaier who had a bunch of data about balancing his games but drew the wrong conclusions? I half remember an anecdote about someone whiffing on balance issues, but wasn't sure if it was him.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Carillon posted:

Was it Jamey Stegmaier who had a bunch of data about balancing his games but drew the wrong conclusions? I half remember an anecdote about someone whiffing on balance issues, but wasn't sure if it was him.

Was it the story of Ignacy Trzewiczek getting some good advice from Vlaada and then going "Hm, an interesting point" and completely disregarding it?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Archenteron posted:

Was it the story of Ignacy Trzewiczek getting some good advice from Vlaada and then going "Hm, an interesting point" and completely disregarding it?

Maybe! I remember it as a story where a designer gathered a lot of data about balance or factions. But when the data was released along with the conclusions, I think the conclusions were the opposite of what the data showed. Not sure if that tracks your story?

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
This was the relevant quote from the prior thread.

bobvonunheil posted:

Ignacy Trzewiczek is generally panned in this thread for a board game design diary he posted where famed designer Vlaada Chvatil told him 'you can't have bad events and good events coming from the same deck, you need to split them up to create a more consistent and enjoyable gaming experience', Ignacy went 'hmm yes that is a good idea' then completely and utterly ignored his advice.

Regarding Robinson Crusoe, I believe... which checks out.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Carillon posted:

Maybe! I remember it as a story where a designer gathered a lot of data about balance or factions. But when the data was released along with the conclusions, I think the conclusions were the opposite of what the data showed. Not sure if that tracks your story?

Yeah, Vlaada's advice on Robinson Crusoe wasn't based on collected data, it was Vlaada explaining "If you make 40% of the event deck good and 60% bad, and balance the game expecting 2 of the 5 events to be good, then some games you'll get 5 bad events and the game will randomly be an autoloss. The only way to control your game's balance is to make 100% of the event deck bad."

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Carillon posted:

I vaguely remember there being some discussion about fixes for Tapestry based on win rates, which were implement as very lazy "start with X points more (or fewer)" rather than actually fixing the underlying mechanics. There may have been a similar issue with Scythe, with him simply suggesting a points auction as a fix which is fine for players who have a strong understanding of the game but doesn't help the NPE in both games of being stuck with an underpowered faction and not being able to actually achieve things the other factions can.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Carillon posted:

Tapestry had some really rough balance problems, and I vaguely remember the initial rebalancing errata were way off.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

hoiyes posted:

I vaguely remember there being some discussion about fixes for Tapestry based on win rates, which were implement as very lazy "start with X points more (or fewer)" rather than actually fixing the underlying mechanics.

New patch just dropped boys

Great thing is, even if you somehow manage to balance this mess (lol @ futurists somehow making it out of playtesting), you still end up digging through the technology deck or whatever to find the best ones because those are quite unbalanced too. :bravo:

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 6, 2024

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
The Tapestry story is based on this BGG post where someone makes an in depth analysis of Tapestry play data, and halfway down the page Jamie adds in the results of a simple win survey he ran as additional data. To be fair, he doesn’t claim that this is his whole play testing data or analysis, but because it doesn’t even have a corresponding number of losses/plays, and it has clear blowouts, it gives the impression he doesn’t know how to gather and analyse useful data.

Given my second play of Tapestry where I had the Futurists, and with the first patch nerf, I was still able to win with well more score than the other two players combined, I have a slightly pessimistic view of what that post represents.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thanks all, I think it was the tapestry anecdote I was thinking of. That Robinson Crusoe certainly explains the feedback I've heard about that game.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Joe Pilkus @TheProfessor posted:

Folks,

I've been amazed by the scores of threads and hundreds of posts which have been written in the past 60 days about a subject for which the designer (and, yes, all of us playtesters) knew to be true...the Civilizations are imbalanced. I knew this 8-9 months ago when I spent 12 weeks (six for the multiplayer and six for the Automa) on the game. If anyone think the 50+ playtesters working across myriad Waves (versions) of the game were attempting in the least to try and balance the 16 Covilizations, then they know nothing about game design and development. Jamey knew full well that "no game survives first contact" to turn a military axiom which is why he clearly conveyed the website for players to enter their scores.

Not from Jamie himself but I had a good lol.

What, you thought we had 50+ people spend 3 months playtesting this game to try to balance it? You fools. You rubes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hoiyes posted:

I vaguely remember there being some discussion about fixes for Tapestry based on win rates, which were implement as very lazy "start with X points more (or fewer)" rather than actually fixing the underlying mechanics. There may have been a similar issue with Scythe, with him simply suggesting a points auction as a fix which is fine for players who have a strong understanding of the game but doesn't help the NPE in both games of being stuck with an underpowered faction and not being able to actually achieve things the other factions can.

There's only two broken faction/action combos in Scythe out of 25 in the base box, so that problem could be solved with a small slip of paper saying "Do not pair Rusviet/Industrial or Crimea/Patriotic".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The real solution to balance issues is to not care about winning or losing. Just enjoy spending time indoors with people. If you want to win so much learn some slight of hand and start cheating.
I played Art Robbery yesterday, which is a fun Knizia auction game. I correctly guessed like half the rules and the designer of the game. So nothing earth-shattering, but a nice little filler. I really dug the production by Hel Vetiq, very Oink-like. Small box, very pleasing art and 1 pretty chunky bit of wood.