Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Einwand posted:

Ride The Bus, Supernova and Green Joker are all S tier high stakes jokers if you get them in ante 1/2, maybe 3 if your other jokers can pull their weight for a bit as they get going, you just pivot into playing "a pair" and then win. Then you run into the needle and die but that's Balatro.

They're OK but I have a hard time being impressed by any of them in a game where Spare Trousers exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Spare trousers is better but it's also an uncommon vs a common so it's much rarer to see in a given run.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Spectral card that gives you a rare joker but sets your money to $0, does it always give you the joker that gives you a free spectral card if you score a straight flush? Because that might be the most useless joker in the game.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Relyssa posted:

I dislike green joker because I discard a lot but if you pair it with Burglar then it's S+ tier.

Yeah, Burglar's great with any joker that gives a per-hand bonus (Ride the Bus, Square Joker, Vagabond).

Edit: Can't believe I forgot the Trousers

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Popete posted:

The Spectral card that gives you a rare joker but sets your money to $0, does it always give you the joker that gives you a free spectral card if you score a straight flush? Because that might be the most useless joker in the game.

No, it gives you a random rare joker.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

yorkinshire posted:

Fun interaction I had the other day was I was at $-12 with the credit card and I got the wraith spectral that gives a random rare joker and sets money to 0 so I got a free rare joker and $12.

Yeah, I was gonna mention this too. Pretty good way out of debt. I'm just wondering if it also works with The Ox (most played hand sets money to 0).

I'm getting tired of slamming my face against the purple stake on red deck. I've unlocked plasma deck but it's so weird.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Relyssa posted:

No, it gives you a random rare joker.

Really? Because I feel like the last few time's I've picked it I've gotten that useless straight flush free spectral card joker.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

War Wizard posted:

I've unlocked plasma deck but it's so weird.

I keep reading that it's OP but I don't really get it either. Tried at first to pump chips as much as possible since they're easier to come by, but then there isn't multipliers for chips so I guess it's still best to go after x-mult.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Popete posted:

Really? Because I feel like the last few time's I've picked it I've gotten that useless straight flush free spectral card joker.

Yep. I've definitely gotten a bunch of different ones from it so far.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

PostNouveau posted:

I keep reading that it's OP but I don't really get it either. Tried at first to pump chips as much as possible since they're easier to come by, but then there isn't multipliers for chips so I guess it's still best to go after x-mult.
You basically want chips at the start then a hard transition to mult once you can make the switch. So you want to bank a lot of econ for the swap turn.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

This screenshot has a lot of funny aspects.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

War Wizard posted:

Yeah, I was gonna mention this too. Pretty good way out of debt. I'm just wondering if it also works with The Ox (most played hand sets money to 0).

It does work with The Ox, saw a video the other day that mentioned it.

PostNouveau posted:

there isn't multipliers for chips

There is, it's the multiplier :v:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Can someone explain what this card means?

Like...aren't all the cards below 52? Isn't the highest value technically like, 13, the king? I assume I am misunderstanding this somehow?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Artelier posted:

Like...aren't all the cards below 52? Isn't the highest value technically like, 13, the king? I assume I am misunderstanding this somehow?

52 - total number of cards in your deck * 4 mult

so if you hanged man a lot or whatever it can be pretty good

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Eat poo poo bell :toot: The brainstorm showed up right before the boss and was, uh, definitely overkill. Just getting hiker + hack up early did an insane amount of work, although with only 2 slots to build mult I was still not exactly blowing stuff away until I started getting the negative diamond jokers.

That's finally the gold clear for painted deck. Man, this one creates a lot of heartbreakers; it starts so strong that even at high stakes you can play greedy and get some really fantastic stuff going, but you start scraping the ceiling by ante 4 or so, maybe 6 if you're lucky.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Artelier posted:

tl;dr you want your deck as small as possible

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, the game has a bad habit of creating OP synergies and then trying to balance them by including hard counters against them. It does give you some outs, so it's not a total lost cause, but it could also just... make them less OP in the first place.

Well, that's an inherent feature of card builders imho.
In Slay the Spire is super hard to modify a chip damage deck if you get Time Eater as a boss. And at high ascension levels you matemathically get poo poo on by early minibosses if you don't take strong offensive cards.

If anything I feel more in control with Balatro than in any other game. Even if you can't reroll the boss, emergency Joker reshuffles are manageable if you have spare cash. I have ditched multiple pareidolia decks because of an ante 7 Mark or Plant but still managed to salvage the run enough to get the win.
Then I got demolished in endless mode because it became an unoptimized garbage deck, but hey, same thing as The Heart check in StS.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Man, I am having trouble beating Gold difficulty on the Checkered deck. I wanted to get that out of the way because it's "the flush deck". Either I am doing something wrong or having bad luck.

Any tips for that deck?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Waffleopolis posted:

Man, I am having trouble beating Gold difficulty on the Checkered deck. I wanted to get that out of the way because it's "the flush deck". Either I am doing something wrong or having bad luck.

Any tips for that deck?

Don't feel obligated to build around flushes every time. Checkered deck can still do virtually anything that you would do with any other deck, so you can milk flushes for easy early wins and then pivot into whatever build you get the pieces for. Sometimes that's still flushes but sometimes it's face cards or fibonacci or two pairs, etc etc etc

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Had a nice little Spare Trousers run with spectral deck. Feels like the one most ripe to get busted, with the free polychrome, but I still died at the ante 8 boss, couldn't but 300k (barely).

I want to unlock that joker that unlocks at 400 bucks but my best so far has been around 190, not sure how I can push that

Edit: four of a kind should count for Trousers, it's two pairs of the same rank

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Me, a person who has beaten Slay the Spire on A20: You should build around what's on offer in relation to the upcoming issues that you know you will face, so that you can cover all challenges. Building around a single style of deck when you're not guaranteed to get any of your pieces is a recipe for disaster, and you can't force a deck every single time anyway.

the holy poopacy posted:

Don't feel obligated to build around flushes every time.

Also me: No flushes? Bwuh?????????????????

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

There are lots of different flushes. Straight flush, flush house, flush of a kind. Do those instead of regular old flush

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Can you believe I had 15 5's in the deck and only scored 5 of a kind once.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Orange stake is so hosed. I'd be surprised if even 10% of the seeds at this difficulty are winnable. I'm rarely even hard up for X mult, just barely ever run into reliable +mult to work with, and the economy management is brutal.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Just beat gold stake on Ghost Deck. Man, I love/hate this deck, its just so incredibly swingy. So many games where I don't get a good early joker to throw hex on, I don't get any cool spectral cards in the shop, I'm basically just playing a vanilla deck and I fumble and die. Or, in this case, I get hex on Fibonacci, I duplicate Fibonacci, I get Pareidolia + Sock and Buskin (plus a The Duo for good measure) and I just clown on the whole game with all my fibonacci cards triggering twice and the 4.5 multiplier I got basically for free. :v:

I think my next gold stake is gonna be something simple. Yellow deck seems good, I've got a feeling it'll be easier.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Popete fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 6, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tafferling posted:

Well, that's an inherent feature of card builders imho.
In Slay the Spire is super hard to modify a chip damage deck if you get Time Eater as a boss. And at high ascension levels you matemathically get poo poo on by early minibosses if you don't take strong offensive cards.

If anything I feel more in control with Balatro than in any other game. Even if you can't reroll the boss, emergency Joker reshuffles are manageable if you have spare cash. I have ditched multiple pareidolia decks because of an ante 7 Mark or Plant but still managed to salvage the run enough to get the win.
Then I got demolished in endless mode because it became an unoptimized garbage deck, but hey, same thing as The Heart check in StS.

You get a much earlier heads up on what boss you're heading towards in STS and the bosses can punish certain things but they don't hard counter them.

I am curious to see both how the meta shakes out and what kind of balance changes come along. I don't think anybody is completely happy with the shop mechanics right now.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Artelier posted:

As others have said, it's taking about the number of cards in your deck. The reason it's phrased in this way is because other cards that say "+x per card added to your deck" actually only count cards added after you buy the joker and isn't impacted by removing cards. This one works per card removed no matter when, but it's cancelled out by adding cards.

It took me a second to parse too because you think, surely it would just say "per card removed"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also if you're curious like I was, that card scales to the starting size of your deck. I got it early on in an Abandoned Deck run (starts with 40 cards) and it started at a +0 mult.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Popete posted:

just to say, sometimes it gives you the ancient joker as well. or Baron on a deck that doesn't want it

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
If you have two of a Joker, do not instinctively assume that Ankh will make you a third.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Last night I was from bashing my head on gold stake with the blue deck - even just getting a somewhat stable run going at all - so I decided to get my stakes up elsewhere
Went to the yellow deck that was in black stake and immediately got a run to the final boss (which was violet vessel and I was about a hand short)

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Going back to lower stakes with other decks after bashing my head against orange for awhile is downright relaxing. It's so easy to ball out of control below purple, just doing whatever. I've only beaten orange with checkered, and no golds.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Finally got a run with multiple red seal glass cards. It's as fun as it looks. Still didn't get to ante 13, though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Finally, FINALLY managed to win with the Black Deck so I could unlock the No Thoughts Head Empty Just 🅵🅻🆄🆂🅷 Deck my grimy little heart so desired. Had a lot of trouble with the one-less-hand per round, but turns out having multiple huge multipliers together at the end of my Joker list (Vampire and Throwback each hovering around x3) made things a lot easier. Who knew, right?

Anyway, in utterly unsurprising news, this game is continuing to make friends:
https://twitter.com/PlaystackGames/status/1765366560808378483

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How the gently caress is anyone getting to MAXINT, I get ratfucked on green stakes ante 2 half the time.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

How the gently caress is anyone getting to MAXINT, I get ratfucked on green stakes ante 2 half the time.

Steel cards + red seals + lots of retrigger bullshit. That's really the only way to get anywhere once you hit endless.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I think a cool utility joker would be "Tempered Joker" which halves the chance of glass cards breaking.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Chalks posted:

As others have said, it's taking about the number of cards in your deck. The reason it's phrased in this way is because other cards that say "+x per card added to your deck" actually only count cards added after you buy the joker and isn't impacted by removing cards. This one works per card removed no matter when, but it's cancelled out by adding cards.

It took me a second to parse too because you think, surely it would just say "per card removed"

This is an annoyance of mine with the Constellation joker (among others). If it scales per Planet card used, how hard could it be to make it count previously played planets, making it a much easier pickup later on, rather than "tough poo poo, didn't see this early"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Scaling is kinda hosed in general. e.g.

Relyssa posted:

Steel cards + red seals + lots of retrigger bullshit. That's really the only way to get anywhere once you hit endless.