Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Darox posted:

All I can tell from this is “don’t use first person and let the game give you the RNG free kill instead” and “shoot it from the side instead of dead on”

I feel like I should've gotten a sick one/two shot kill from random chance by now. Looking back at footage, I can see clear misses or hitting armour at times, but I can also see shots that look like it hits one of the many zones people swear by.

I see complaints that bile titans are incredible easy if the host is on a PS5, but if the host is on PC they're super tough, or that bugs hit harder on PS5, but then other people contradict that. All I know is I will keep on kiting then freedom bombing titans when it's off cooldown.

e: one time it looked like my AC turret two-shot a titan as it was climbing out of the hole, and I was like drat bro way to show me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'm sad that stealth seems to be becoming meta even at low difficulties. makes me not want to even play anymore, that poo poo is boring

i just wanna shot poo poo :(

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
idk i mostly hang out at lvl 7 difficulty and its definitely not stealth, but we do move between points quickly. no reason to stay and fight the constant waves of aggro bugs

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

i'm sad that stealth seems to be becoming meta even at low difficulties. makes me not want to even play anymore, that poo poo is boring

i just wanna shot poo poo :(

One of those things that makes me a bit nervous. Completely different game but I remember Payday 2 sort of suffered from that from a few specific missions you could stealth all the way through.
Ended up meaning the host would play through the map themselves and you'd just follow behind with your dick in your hands doing absolutely nothing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mulva posted:

They aren't an outside group, is the thing. It's the entire point. The robots were cyborg rebels a hundred years ago, and the bugs are a bio program to clear planets and generate oil. It's like how the US Army couldn't invade Florida. It's already America, technically, you can't invade yourself. You can do other horrible things, but you can't invade. You are already there. Actions against the bugs and robots are just propaganda to keep from saying "Yeah we hosed up and we need to clear out some of our bioweapons/we have some uprisings going on". To imply that Super Earth could lose control, or that citizens could rise up? Unthinkable.

Only the aliens are a truly outside force Super Earth is loving with. Everything else is a self-inflicted problem.
I would say that when you entirely lose whole planets to a hostile force, you are no longer "already there". The robots have not been just rebels for a long time, they are their own wholly separate organization, government, form of life.
The bugs are not so intelligent(seemingly), but again, I think if you totally lose planets or star systems, that is no longer 'your' area. It's been taken over by something else, and taking it back means invading what is now hostile territory.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Relentlessboredomm posted:

idk i mostly hang out at lvl 7 difficulty and its definitely not stealth, but we do move between points quickly. no reason to stay and fight the constant waves of aggro bugs

This is the real answer. It's not so much stealth as "keep moving and don't let yourself get pinned in one place." I go stealth when it's clear the other three are just going to deathmatch for 20 minutes. My time is better spent using them as a distraction to go solo objectives and collect samples at that point. But if we keep moving and avoid getting pinned down, that's fun.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Important note that even before Super Earth domesticated them after HD1, they were still capable of advancing between planets and the lack of knowledge or how they do it probably mirrors the space bugs in Starship Troopers who have the same mystery but also clearly far more than just animals.

Someone could've had the bright idea to make a controlled war via sacrificing some sparsely populated planets in the worst case that has gone drastically out of control. Or they underestimated the bugs and lost control in their breeding farms. Or both.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Friendship with Autocannon over, Expendable Anti-Tank is new best friend.

Ran around with EAT, eagle cluster bomb, laser guard dog, and gatling sentry on two nice long bug missions. EAT has like a minute cooldown before upgrading the super destroyer so you can just drop it everywhere and hunt chargers while cluster bombing dudes and using gatling senties at key points and the rover gets anything that gets too close. It was insanely fun too. Grabbing EATs and dropping them into a bile titan feels great. Highly recommend.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

LazyMaybe posted:

I would say that when you entirely lose whole planets to a hostile force, you are no longer "already there".

Ah you get them back in a bit.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
The dailies have been great at making me try stratagems I skipped over.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I love dailies that are just "Do what you were planning to do anyway but more recklessly" and that was todays. Good times.

Im guessing killing enemies with the EATs themselves does not count towards the count, but I enoyed calling them down on cooldown and using them to blow up bugs no matter how small.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tom Tucker posted:

Ran around with EAT, eagle cluster bomb, laser guard dog, and gatling sentry on two nice long bug missions. EAT has like a minute cooldown before upgrading the super destroyer so you can just drop it everywhere and hunt chargers while cluster bombing dudes and using gatling senties at key points and the rover gets anything that gets too close. It was insanely fun too. Grabbing EATs and dropping them into a bile titan feels great. Highly recommend.

The beacon for the EAT will also stick to a Charger's face. And thus home in on the charger like a poor man's orbital rail cannon.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

are the dailies the same for everyone? i had a kill 100 guys with eagle strafing run and its really bad. drop it in a pile of bugs and it killed 8

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Tom Tucker posted:

Yeah I like using the EAT for bugs, but the Autocannon for bots because I'm too lazy to deal with Striders and Devastators any other way

Kly posted:

are the dailies the same for everyone? i had a kill 100 guys with eagle strafing run and its really bad. drop it in a pile of bugs and it killed 8

I had that one yesterday. It's easy since the Strafing Run has a short cooldown and a lot of charges, so you can spam the hell out of it. Eagle stuff's overall cooldown doesn't start until the fighter rearms though so if you have multiple Eagle airstrikes equipped you won't get your charges back until either you order it to rearm or you spend all your charges on every airstrike. IMO the Strafing Run isn't that great compared to the Cluster Bomb or Napalm but at least it's hard to TK people with!

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 6, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Relentlessboredomm posted:

i just seem to have real poo poo luck with matchmaking i guess lol

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Cracking the lobster claw on the chargers is so satisfying and then shooting the orange meat.

I want the next faction’s Super Heavy to be a huge meaty horror thing. Either a giant fleshy dinosaur or a Star Fox Andross face - something where you’re just shredding huge chunks of it off to expose weak points. Make me take an HMG and dump a whole mag into some big wet target and let the physics engine fry my computer.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kly posted:

It wasn't too bad once I realized the attack pattern is unlike every other Eagle strategem; Instead of dropping the payload perpendicular to the player, the strafing run starts at the beacon and moves away from the player. It also helps that I have the extra Eagle payload so I had 4 loads before needing to rearm.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

I had 4 loads before needing to rearm.

Impressive

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
One of the new factions should be angels or spirits or something. I want to bring managed democracy to god by showing him hell.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Kly posted:

I like it more against bots, they tend to line up on the way in and it can remove devastators quickly. I use it a lot for POI clearing too.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i easily got the 100+ eagle strafing kills in a single mission but that was mostly because i somehow ended up in a solo difficulty 7 and was constantly running for my life with a huge parade of bugs behind me

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Chillgamesh posted:

I had that one yesterday. It's easy since the Strafing Run has a short cooldown and a lot of charges, so you can spam the hell out of it. Eagle stuff's overall cooldown doesn't start until the fighter rearms though so if you have multiple Eagle airstrikes equipped you won't get your charges back until either you order it to rearm or you spend all your charges on every airstrike. IMO the Strafing Run isn't that great compared to the Cluster Bomb or Napalm but at least it's hard to TK people with!

yeah i got it i just had never used it before and it seemed really bad

Away all Goats posted:

It wasn't too bad once I realized the attack pattern is unlike every other Eagle strategem; Instead of dropping the payload perpendicular to the player, the strafing run starts at the beacon and moves away from the player. It also helps that I have the extra Eagle payload so I had 4 loads before needing to rearm.

this might be the problem, i assumed it worked like the other eagle strikes i used where it drops perpendicular to where you throw it

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Space zombies are gonna be the last faction after alien jedi. Think about it - zombies can't even vote, and that's the most un-democratic thing possible.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Away all Goats posted:

yeah it also seems to come in a bit quicker so it's very good for chucking behind you at the swarm of bugs chasing

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SpartanIvy posted:

One of the new factions should be angels or spirits or something. I want to bring managed democracy to god by showing him hell.

gently caress yeah the real crazy poo poo like giant spinning wheels covered in eyes

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Arc Thrower firing squad strategy is real. The main trick is to not aim directly at enemies on the ground, the thing has a small cone of stuff it might decide to target and you want as few rocks, sticks, and corpses in the cone as possible to force it to hit an enemy, so aim high.

Once you've mastered that and the rhythm of rapid firing it's a pretty great weapon.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 6, 2024

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Might be a bit more controversial than they're looking for, but "Literal God shows up and tells you you're in the wrong, you drop a 500kg bomb on Him" would be a fun direction to take a fascist parody work

I wonder how the in-universe propaganda would spin it

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

it would also be nice if this alien faction was revealed to be the original source for abrahamic religion

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

These ideas stink!!!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Triarii posted:

Might be a bit more controversial than they're looking for, but "Literal God shows up and tells you you're in the wrong, you drop a 500kg bomb on Him" would be a fun direction to take a fascist parody work

(and he actually did it too)

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I was thinking about how a Chaos Helldivers faction could be implemented and Heavendivers seems just a little too silly-sounding

It would be cool to have a Xenomorph/Zerg style enemy that adjusts spawns through the mission depending on what you're killing them with- use lots of small arms and they start getting more armor, use lots of ordinance and they start to burrow, etc.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
fighting angels would explain why we're getting mechs

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Warmachine posted:

The beacon for the EAT will also stick to a Charger's face. And thus home in on the charger like a poor man's orbital rail cannon.
Did not know this. I'll need to see what else the EAT beacon will stick too. Even without that, the EAT is great fun.

Triarii posted:

Ah the Earth Defense force plot.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

causticBeet posted:

Did HD1 ever have missions with mixed factions?

Nope, never mixed. (sorry forgot to hit post)

whoever said the game spawns enemies when you look away is full of poo poo.
https://i.imgur.com/VLELViS.mp4

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Triarii posted:

As opposed to EDF, where God shows up and we try to arrest him for the crime of starting poo poo.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Make the next faction mad max style space orcs. Just weird hulking dudes driving on-fire cars and stomping around in a mech gushing smoke everywhere.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

man played for almsot 2 hours tonight all on level 7 and could not get a single purple science, gently caress this is a goddamn grind

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Eediot Jedi posted:

whoever said the game spawns enemies when you look away is full of poo poo.
https://i.imgur.com/VLELViS.mp4

Yea I would be surprised if everyone didnt have at least 1 experience of a patrol appearing on top of them. I kinda wish they'd fix that.
Also I know people have been debating about patrol routes and stuff but in my experience I've found that even when nobody is on alert patrols will generally head in your direction. I wouldn't be surprised if the game is nudging patrols in your direction to drive action in the game. I don't think they will hunt you blindly, but I do think the game sets patrol paths that intersect with where ever you're hanging around.

Way too many times have I been minding my own business doing a SEAF or something and have an entire squad of bugs or bots just wander right over top of me.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

man played for almsot 2 hours tonight all on level 7 and could not get a single purple science, gently caress this is a goddamn grind

By far my worst experience with this game was the other day when a guy TKed everyone \ we died and they didnt pick up the samples and extracted without reinforcing. I wasn't sure if they did it on purpose or not but it felt insanely bad. It sucks because the guy who had the super samples picked them up after I dropped them at extract before I could get them and the only reason *I* died was because I was guarding him to get on the shuttle. I wouldn't have given our other idiot teammate the chance to kill me if I had them myself. Maybe I should have Tked him and picked them up 🤔

Also whats up with the samples being in groups of 3 but all the upgrades being 10 or 5? I'm at 9, I just want more eagle airstrikes!!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 6, 2024

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I must learn to forgive the expendable anti tank. After all, they purposefully made it bad, as a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Jerkface posted:

Yea I would be surprised if everyone didnt have at least 1 experience of a patrol appearing on top of them. I kinda wish they'd fix that.
Also I know people have been debating about patrol routes and stuff but in my experience I've found that even when nobody is on alert patrols will generally head in your direction. I wouldn't be surprised if the game is nudging patrols in your direction to drive action in the game. I don't think they will hunt you blindly, but I do think the game sets patrol paths that intersect with where ever you're hanging around.

Way too many times have I been minding my own business doing a SEAF or something and have an entire squad of bugs or bots just wander right over top of me.

By far my worst experience with this game was the other day when a guy TKed everyone \ we died and they didnt pick up the samples and extracted without reinforcing. I wasn't sure if they did it on purpose or not but it felt insanely bad. It sucks because the guy who had the super samples picked them up after I dropped them at extract before I could get them and the only reason *I* died was because I was guarding him to get on the shuttle. I wouldn't have given our other idiot teammate the chance to kill me if I had them myself. Maybe I should have Tked him and picked them up 🤔

Also whats up with the samples being in groups of 3 but all the upgrades being 10 or 5? I'm at 9, I just want more eagle airstrikes!!

ive been playing at 7 for like 6 days now and still only have 3 super samples. its one of the worst grinds ive experienced. id loving love it if one of those hackers woudl hust give me 2000 of it