Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

This Dark Id stuff is nuts. I’ve never heard of this guy. We’re all in here yukking it up over Tallarico and then it turns out an extremely similar saga is happening one room over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Alaois posted:

because millions of people are going to buy them every year either way

eh, not really convincing. you could literally make the same argument for mario, zelda, smash bros, mario kart, animal crossing, etc.

yet nintendo doesn't treat any of those properties with the same level of half-assedness as they've done with pokemon

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Guess I'm just glad to know there's no dead daughter

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet are extremely good and are some of the best Pokemon games ever made.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Oh the game looks and runs like a budget ps2 game? One of teh greatest types of video games ever made? drat oh no lol

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I liked sword and shield; they were chill and I just hosed everyone up with my Garbodor.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Saagonsa posted:

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet are extremely good and are some of the best Pokemon games ever made.

I like a lot of the new pokemon, like that little gremlin with a hammer. Also they introduced a wet diglett and called it Wiglett and it's like, top ten favorite pokmon for sure.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
They named the olive pokemon Smoliv :kimchi:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I tried Scarlet when the hubby got it, made for a bland distraction for an afternoon and never picked it back up. I'm glad ppl are having fun w it, pokemon bringin peeps together is beautiful.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I really like all the new designs generally, Koraidon ftw

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Pokémon company is not trying and failing to produce the highest-quality games possible. The people working on the games are certainly doing the best they can, but for the people at the top, the priority is getting the games out consistently. Could they make more money on the games if they were better? Maybe, but it doesn’t matter.

Here’s the thing. The Pokémon Company does not make its money by selling video games. It makes money by selling the concept of Pokémon, and selling products based on that intellectual property. The primary purpose of the mainline games, from a business perspective, is to serve as a mechanism for the creation and advertising of new Pokémon.

Maybe they could make more money on the next mainline game by delaying it for a year so the developers can give it lots of love and attention. However, the revenue generated by additional sales resulting from that boost in quality would be dwarfed by the loss in revenue for that year due to not being able to sell new plushies, t-shirts, and trading cards with new Pokémon on them.

That’s why Pokémon games aren’t like other Nintendo games. Because Pokémon is not a video game franchise, it’s a merchandise franchise for which video games are an important category of merchandise.

Please don’t take this as a cynical repudiation of your love of Pokémon. I love it too. I’m just explaining why you can’t compare these games to Mario games.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 6, 2024

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Pokemon is made by a particularly large indie studio (about 200 strong for the S/V launch) who are given a timeline of about 8 months to release a game. Nintendo's been effectively threatening them with handing off side projects to different studios and forcing them to move to a building in the Nintendo campus so they can pressure Game Freak even more. The games being as good as they are while also being technical messes is as much an indication at how much Game Freak cares when their entire toolchain and work flow gets thrown out every two weeks and the only corporate support they get is Creatures Inc mailing them zbrush files of the latest pikachu model.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah this year is going to be the first year without a mainline Pokemon game release in 13 years. The reason the games are so slapdash is that they're being turned around on impossible timelines at this point to synch up with the enormous amount of other time sensitive things like the anime, movies, merch, card game etc releases.

Frankly the fact SwSh and ScarVio turned out as well as they did is a minor miracle if you think about the dev time for comparable sized games.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

pokemon has zero serious competition and nintendo has no reason to innovate because of it

yokai watch

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

euroshopper posted:

yokai watch

people looking for a pokemon-like are NOT going to enjoy yokai watch lol

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I thought yokai watch flopped

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

euroshopper posted:

yokai watch

Yeah there's a reason that's not around anymore lol

fun hater
May 24, 2009

imagine a world where the catch rate for every pokemon is .00001% and you have 0 control over the flow of battle. welcome to yokai watch baby.

note: i love yokai watch.

Annointed posted:

it was the biggest, BIGGEST thing in japan for a few years and bombed in america. i think i was one of 20 people who played it

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a great game. absolutely not a pokemon substitute. no one should play it. everyone should play it.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ariong posted:

The Pokémon company is not trying and failing to produce the highest-quality games possible. The people working on the games are certainly doing the best they can, but for the people at the top, the priority is getting the games out consistently. Could they make more money on the games if they were better? Maybe, but it doesn’t matter.

Here’s the thing. The Pokémon Company does not make its money by selling video games. It makes money by selling the concept of Pokémon, and selling products based on that intellectual property. The primary purpose of the mainline games, from a business perspective, is to serve as a mechanism for the creation and advertising of new Pokémon.

Maybe they could make more money on the next mainline game by delaying it for a year so the developers can give it lots of love and attention. However, the revenue generated by additional sales resulting from that boost in quality would be dwarfed by the loss in revenue for that year due to not being able to sell new plushies, t-shirts, and trading cards with new Pokémon on them.

That’s why Pokémon games aren’t like other Nintendo games. Because Pokémon is not a video game franchise, it’s a merchandise franchise for which video games are an important category of merchandise.

Please don’t take this as a cynical repudiation of your love of Pokémon. I love it too. I’m just explaining why you can’t compare these games to Mario games.

Karasu Tengu posted:

Pokemon is made by a particularly large indie studio (about 200 strong for the S/V launch) who are given a timeline of about 8 months to release a game. Nintendo's been effectively threatening them with handing off side projects to different studios and forcing them to move to a building in the Nintendo campus so they can pressure Game Freak even more. The games being as good as they are while also being technical messes is as much an indication at how much Game Freak cares when their entire toolchain and work flow gets thrown out every two weeks and the only corporate support they get is Creatures Inc mailing them zbrush files of the latest pikachu model.

Zore posted:

Yeah this year is going to be the first year without a mainline Pokemon game release in 13 years. The reason the games are so slapdash is that they're being turned around on impossible timelines at this point to synch up with the enormous amount of other time sensitive things like the anime, movies, merch, card game etc releases.

Frankly the fact SwSh and ScarVio turned out as well as they did is a minor miracle if you think about the dev time for comparable sized games.

okay now these explanations i'm a lot more on board with. they make a lot more sense

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the only good pokemon game is shin megami tensei iii

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Yokai Watch is really fun, just running around the setting and exploring is really rewarding. It's a super dense and detailed little city with a ton to do, even before you get to the critter collecting. Very charming and engaging. Some people bounce hard off the battle system, though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Karasu Tengu posted:

Its maybe not entirely accurate but pokemon makes much more sense if you compare it to like, a licensed anime game

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

the only good pokemon game is shin megami tensei iii

I nominate Robopon 2.

The first Robopon was a by the books pokemon copy on the GBC. Robopon 2 was on the GBA and takes place directly after the first game and you know you're in for a ride when the game starts with your character, hot after beating the elite four and champion equivalent, gets on a boat to the new pokemon league only to realize he left all of his pokemon back home.

About an hour later you're killing the first gym leader equivalent because he's an rear end in a top hat. Not just beating him or anything, but doing an actual murder.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i'm kinda surprised that pokemon go is still (fairly) successful and that there are still pokemon go events happening. I have a friend traveling to Taiwan for such an event and i'm kinda flabbergasted. If not mistaken Niantic has tried to go into other properties such as Harry Potter which all failed and pokemon is the only thing keeping them afloat

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

fun hater posted:

imagine a world where the catch rate for every pokemon is .00001% and you have 0 control over the flow of battle. welcome to yokai watch baby.

Not only that, but there are multiple Poke ball types (with their own versions of great balls and ultra balls) that have different levels of effectiveness depending on what Pokémon you use them on. However you can only hold 10 of each Poke ball at a time. Also each type of Ultra Ball is ridiculously more expensive so you'll have to grind for money if you don't catch it in 10 tries (which you won't).

Also every shiny is a new species of Pokémon so if you want a complete Pokédex you will have to shiny hunt.

Also half of the Pokédex is just Pikachu variants.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really enjoyed the newest Pokémon games after not really liking any since black & white 2. Didn’t mind the abysmal performance too much and all the bugs I ran into were funny instead of game breaking. I hope they get more time and resources to make games in the future and that this year not having a game is a good thing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

euroshopper posted:

yokai watch

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4003865

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Annointed posted:

ya it was a joke, most of the pkmn clones historically seemed to flop (don't think digimon counts cuz it was always intended to be "tamagotchi for boys'" rather than a pkmn-like)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

oh yeah what about jade cocoon

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Nuebot posted:

I nominate Robopon 2.

The first Robopon was a by the books pokemon copy on the GBC. Robopon 2 was on the GBA and takes place directly after the first game and you know you're in for a ride when the game starts with your character, hot after beating the elite four and champion equivalent, gets on a boat to the new pokemon league only to realize he left all of his pokemon back home.

About an hour later you're killing the first gym leader equivalent because he's an rear end in a top hat. Not just beating him or anything, but doing an actual murder.

i liked both robopons, the first mostly for the dumb gimmick cartridge where you pointed tv remotes at it and pressed buttons to get special prizes

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Monster Rancher ruled.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

oh yeah what about jade cocoon

Jade Cocoon is fantastic. It has no less than two extremely phallic dick monsters and ends with a father son jam session.

Jade Cocoon 2 sucks and should never be played.

pentyne posted:

Monster Rancher ruled.

Still does, you can get 1 and 2 on steam now!

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Jade Cocoon rules 'cause it's a monster catching/merging game that is also a really solemn story taking place in really pretty forestscapes as everything goes increasingly to poo poo for the protagonist and his wife

Jade Cocoon 2 rules 'cause centuries later the protag of 1 is now the immortal overseer of the forest which has been tamed and turned into a theme park for idiots and he just barely manages to hide his contempt for the whole circus until he becomes the final boss

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i'm kinda surprised that pokemon go is still (fairly) successful and that there are still pokemon go events happening. I have a friend traveling to Taiwan for such an event and i'm kinda flabbergasted. If not mistaken Niantic has tried to go into other properties such as Harry Potter which all failed and pokemon is the only thing keeping them afloat

You could apply this to all things Pokemon. Other monster capture and battling style games come and go but Pokemon persists.

That piss-flavored lightning rat is gonna be raking it in long after we're all dead.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

yeah, when i was doing research for my candy crush video i was shocked to learn that Pokemon GO was still in the top 5 mobile games years after it came out :monocle: it seemed super popular when i released, but fizzled out after a few months

fun hater
May 24, 2009

https://yokaiwatch.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Crossover_Characters

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
are the colosseum/xd games considered good even outside of the franchise i completely forgot they existed lol

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the dark id claimed to be dying from cancer and only had a day left to live everyone was shocked and then slowbeef tweeted that it was likely a lie because the Dark Id was a compulsive liar. The rabbit hole goes even deeper. Id claimed to have a daughter who died of cancer he does not have a daughter.

the dark id claimed to be a mercenary. not just any mercenary. a badass mercenary that killed people for a living and threatened to kill the director of ICE when ICE contacted him about the immigration problem and that he met his wife in a gunfight where they were hired to kill the same person

but thats not all

the dark id's best friend is a japanese woman who lives with him after he saved her from an abusive father. she is not real. she is the dark id and, in fact, all of the moderators in Id's discord are probably Id

I blame Yoko Taro for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

pokemon is a natural fit for it which is why it works and harry potter (lol) doesnt