Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Florida solved the problem by allowing the spouse of any veteran to teach in public schools, no other requirements needed :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

adnam posted:

We hung out with Canadian relatives. The dad was coming off his 4th month of paternity leave and was explaining to me as a USAian that they get a combined more than 15 months of leave between the father and mother, it was crazy.

Over in :japan: the missus got about 15 months off including pre-birth, and I’m lucky enough to have a job that both allowed me to take paternity leave and do 3 months or so of it to start. I don’t know how you function as an employee with even a 6-month-old, but the first three months? God.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

He then had a poop blowout on my wife lol owned

<DOOM shotgun noise from the diaper, somehow>

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

killer crane posted:

And the school board just announced they're looking to cap (and lower) how much property tax goes to schools.

How could that be even a remotely good idea?
:dafuq:

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

killer crane posted:

My kids still have over a decade of school ahead of them....

This has become so real for me with my oldest going into Kindergarten next year. It’s like I have a timer to get into a good school district or send him private. And I really wanted to love our public schools but my SIL is a teacher and I try to stay on top of funding news and such, but it all just seems like such a mess.

I’m the product of kinda middle of the road schools, so I know that long term success is mostly up to the individual (barring no learning needs), but it’s still a weird and lovely feeling to think of my kid as needing better/more

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Good-Natured Filth posted:

"My voters don't have kids in the system so why should they pay for other people's kids? These young parents can pay for private Christian school like I did in the 80s and my parents did in the 60s to avoid integration"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You can get angry at me for not sitting next to you all you want

It won't make me poop any faster

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I should just hang a pair of noise-cancelling headphones next to the john

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Housing demand, and prices skyrocketed in the last couple years, and with that assessed value and actual property tax coming in. Right now schools get a percentage of property tax, instead of some fixed amount. Right now our schools are seeing a huge increase in money because of property value. Some morons think this is a problem, that schools have been operating on XYZ budget "just fine" and that the extra money would be better served in other capacities.

This completely ignores the stagnant wages, and higher costs of everything a school uses.

I live in an area with a robust public school system, that's been well funded, and hasn't seen the same issues other areas have, at least not to the same extent. There's also little viable alternative in private schools; the school board has kept magnate schools out by offering similar alternative schools through the public school system, and the religious schools here are awful academically, and socially in comparison.

I just feel like these two things, in the same week, are some kind of watershed, that it's now going to get worse similar to other areas of the country. We don't have a real alternative to the public schools my kids are going to.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

killer crane posted:

Housing demand, and prices skyrocketed in the last couple years, and with that assessed value and actual property tax coming in. Right now schools get a percentage of property tax, instead of some fixed amount. Right now our schools are seeing a huge increase in money because of property value. Some morons think this is a problem, that schools have been operating on XYZ budget "just fine" and that the extra money would be better served in other capacities.

This completely ignores the stagnant wages, and higher costs of everything a school uses.

I live in an area with a robust public school system, that's been well funded, and hasn't seen the same issues other areas have, at least not to the same extent. There's also little viable alternative in private schools; the school board has kept magnate schools out by offering similar alternative schools through the public school system, and the religious schools here are awful academically, and socially in comparison.

I just feel like these two things, in the same week, are some kind of watershed, that it's now going to get worse similar to other areas of the country. We don't have a real alternative to the public schools my kids are going to.

Yeah that's how the state of Texas operates on the whole. We cut off alternative sources for tax revenue, complain endlessly about property taxes, then the legislature caps property taxes and dramatically reduces revenue for the schools. Last night, almost all the pro-public education Republican legislators got primaried out or forced into runoffs because they voted against school vouchers. It's just getting worse next year - the ultimate stated goal is to effectively defund public schools.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

We have a fixed amount of property taxes earmarked for schools, and as the world turns and inflation happens, we have to get levies passed every few years to ensure increased operating costs are covered. Assholes always come out and say "stop taxes. fygm" regardless of the consequences. There are private schools in the area, but they have tuition levels on par with tuition to our public universities and gently caress me if I'm going to pay for that for the entirety of my children's education.

See my recent post for examples (we currently have a bond on the ballot to be able to build a new high school, but the same whackadoos come out for operating levies, too).

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hadlock posted:

Florida solved the problem by allowing the spouse of any veteran to teach in public schools, no other requirements needed :eng101:

This would be very :florida: if true, but luckily it seems to be exaggerated: Only the veteran can earn a teaching certificate, and they at least have to take some knowledge tests. The spouses are not eligible, from what I can tell.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Yeah that's how the state of Texas operates on the whole. We cut off alternative sources for tax revenue, complain endlessly about property taxes, then the legislature caps property taxes and dramatically reduces revenue for the schools. Last night, almost all the pro-public education Republican legislators got primaried out or forced into runoffs because they voted against school vouchers. It's just getting worse next year - the ultimate stated goal is to effectively defund public schools.

Having grown up in Texas, and moved to California, and getting an earful from my family about how the politics is backwards there, it's really been interesting watching boomers make the same mistakes California did, namely capping property taxes

"What do you mean I have to pay to live in this palace mansion I bought it fair and square! They told me when I paid it off I wouldn't have to pay property taxes any more! :argh:" just because you somehow managed to scrape together enough money to buy a house doesn't mean you get to nope out of societal obligations like paying property taxes :psyduck:

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Hadlock posted:

Having grown up in Texas, and moved to California, and getting an earful from my family about how the politics is backwards there, it's really been interesting watching boomers make the same mistakes California did, namely capping property taxes

"What do you mean I have to pay to live in this palace mansion I bought it fair and square! They told me when I paid it off I wouldn't have to pay property taxes any more! :argh:" just because you somehow managed to scrape together enough money to buy a house doesn't mean you get to nope out of societal obligations like paying property taxes :psyduck:
Also, things like roads, water/gas/electrical infrastructure, hospital/fire/police coverage, and good schools are supposed to just spontaneously instantiate out of the aether. Any problem with these things is caused by migrant freeloaders (who pay taxes) and not the responsible land-owning taxpayers (who sprawl huge infrastructure commitments across vast areas).

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

My son brought something home from his kindergarten class, I think it's some kind of norovirus. I feel so bad for him, he is special needs and starting to find his voice so it was very upsetting to see him throwing up in the bathroom while saying WHY WHY STOP, though a part of me was relieved to hear him expressing how he felt as that used to be a thing he wasnt able, or didnt want to do. Thankfully he and my daughter seem to be through the worst of it but my wife and I have been making GBS threads and barfing all day. I really do love having kids, but the constant illnesses rampaging through my house is getting very old.

DamnitGannet fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 7, 2024

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
what a fuckin' year.

So ignoring other non-kid stuff (dog died unexpectedly, wife got laid off, my work is being lovely with benefits...), this last week has been wild.

Oldest gets a virus. It happens... A week ago Tuesday afternoon she starts off with a mild cough. Wednesday AM she's a bit hard to get up, and a very very slightly elevated temp (under 100F), so we send her off to school. Mid-day the school calls, she has fever and needs to come home.

All. Last. Week. she's fighting that. Temp swinging back and forth from 99 to 103, even through Saturday afternoon. Brought her in Saturday morning because she still had an elevated temp and had developed a minor rash, but they said to wait until Monday. Side note: I caught it Thursday, and the wife caught it Saturday afternoon. I was more or less in bed Friday and Saturday, but my wife was in much better shape and was upright for the most part. Nasty little bug, no wonder she was out for a few days. No clue what it is/was, doesn't seem to be Covid, my test was negative at least, and the Dr. didn't bother testing for anything.

Anyhow, so we get to this week, and on Sunday she's mostly feeling better... then the afternoon/evening comes and now she's much, much worse... lots of coughing, slight fever, but just feeling run down. Bring her in Monday morning to confirm suspicions that she's caught pneumonia. Of course. They give her antibiotics and we're on our way.

Get her a few doses in and she's feeling way better. Finally on Tuesday she's feeling well enough to go to school. Great!

And then Tuesday evening she breaks out in hives... big fuckers, too. Some of them quarter-sized. gently caress. Call the nurse line, they advise to stop the antibiotic and bring her in the next day. Give her some benadryl, go to bed, all is well enough.

So yesterday she's doing well enough, send her to school, and have a mid-day dr appointment. Literally on my way to school to pick her up the goddamn school nurse calls and she has hives again. At least the doc gets to see them now! So the doc switches the antibiotic and recommends a claritin/benadryl routine for managing hives... he suspects the hives are viral, but the safe thing to do is to switch antibiotics just in case, and he didn't hear any pneumonia so the 3 doses of amoxicillin we managed to get in her did probably enough heavy lifting to let the next line antibiotic finish off the rest.

And to top it all off, this morning when she woke up she had hives... again. Gave her claritin, hopefully between that and the benadryl it takes care of things.

This is more of a rant I guess but jesus christ kid just stay healthy enough to stay in school for a while! This has been a bad enough year already, we really don't need this poo poo!

:shepicide:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Croup? Again? In this economy?

Edit: at least insurance gave us a free big nebulizer this time.
Edit 2 oh poo poo now I'm sick too

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 9, 2024

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Living in the hell zone where it's going to be 39C (102F) for the next three days, and it's a long weekend

Not even 10am Saturday and we're into multiple meltdowns already

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Same. Tried to grab some food at the local shopping centre, because air con, and 7 year old caused a fuss over wanting to walk to the local bakery (yeah no) and baby is having an extreme sensory meltdown from the multiple shops blasting different music background noise/lights at the shops like I've never seen. Yaaay.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
sometimes you just gotta Screen

let them veg on tv at home more than usual

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

Croup? Again? In this economy?

Edit: at least insurance gave us a free big nebulizer this time.
Edit 2 oh poo poo now I'm sick too

Parenting: oh poo poo now I'm sick too

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Tough 9mon appointment, baby dropped percentiles and is a month or two behind in motor development. Percentages aren’t surprising, our son dipped around the same time and just ended up smaller.

But on the development stuff it has my wife in particular feeling super guilty that she isn’t encouraging the baby enough to stand up with assistance or put food in her mouth. Doc says she is probably just finding her curve and it only really matters if she is having trouble at 12 months, but we all know how parent guilt goes.

It also doesn’t help that in addition to this renewed drive to give her more attention and exercise, she has perpetual constipation that so far 3 days of prune juice and massages haven’t been able to clear out. I

Lord I thought I was through most of the tough stuff with my son and kid #2 would be breezier, but it goes to show each kid has their ups and downs.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We've been prepping for tonight this past week. Hope it pays off.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I love my kids and being a parent, it’s worth it no matter the stressors.

That said, there I was on a walk in cold gusty weather, one arm pushing a stroller and the other a cozy coupe with a 3yo who is much too tall for it, when we passed a childless neighbor happily blasting music and painting some minifig he assembled. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t extremely jealous.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Theoretically eventually the kids can paint the minifig for you. Will it be the colors you want? Doubtful, but it will be painted.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The jealousy is more about the hours of free time available to sink into a fun hobby. It would be fun to learn to paint mini figs together some day, though :3:

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Took the kids to Disney on Ice today. On the drive to the arena my daughter says, "Daddy, sometimes I think we're rich."

"Oh yeah? Why do you think that?"

"Because we always go to places, and you have like $500."

The things you don't know kid.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I had a double date night planned for tonight and both my primary and backup babysitters canceled. I am so loving bummed about this. I just wanted to go out for like 2 hours :( I invited everyone over to my house for board games and food so I hope they take me up on that.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Emily Spinach posted:

Theoretically eventually the kids can paint the minifig for you. Will it be the colors you want? Doubtful, but it will be painted.

I remember a forum post where someone set aside one of his big sturdy warjacks so his daughter could paint it while he worked on other figures. It ended up slathered in rainbow splatters but I'm sure it was a prized member of the collection.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Sounds like a good start to a noise marine army.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Easy way to avoid having to worry about pesky time changes: everyone gets COVID and is waking up the whole night anyway.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Democratic Pirate posted:

I love my kids and being a parent, it’s worth it no matter the stressors.

That said, there I was on a walk in cold gusty weather, one arm pushing a stroller and the other a cozy coupe with a 3yo who is much too tall for it, when we passed a childless neighbor happily blasting music and painting some minifig he assembled. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t extremely jealous.

That childless neighbor does not know the satisfaction of calming down a cranky 3 month old at a supermarket with a box of ramen noodles that makes rattle noises and has interesting black and white patterns and then receiving multiple nods from the parents who have been there before

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
:hai:

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

King Hong Kong posted:

Easy way to avoid having to worry about pesky time changes: everyone gets COVID and is waking up the whole night anyway.

My life hack for dst is just to never expect to have enough sleep

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I like this DST change over the fall one. At least I have the illusion of sleeping in bigly, and it feels like we might get a free hour in the desperate race to bedtime. We’re also all sick with the flu, so it’s been a laaaaazy weekend and nobody wants to do anything.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Also, things like roads, water/gas/electrical infrastructure, hospital/fire/police coverage, and good schools are supposed to just spontaneously instantiate out of the aether. Any problem with these things is caused by migrant freeloaders (who pay taxes) and not the responsible land-owning taxpayers (who sprawl huge infrastructure commitments across vast areas).

Yeah, Texas not only doesn't have, but it's banned (with voter approval) wealth taxes and income taxes. So homeowners complain about property taxes being too high, but are adamant that no other revenue streams should exist.

My 17 month old decided to start skipping his only nap this weekend (Fri-Sun), so now he's having dinner at 5:30pm instead of 6:30pm. Which means our own dinner isn't ready before his bedtime and he's getting random dishes. He also somehow woke up at his same wakeup time despite DST, so he is really under-sleeping.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Time changes hit different when you're sleep deprived as gently caress. Meanwhile kids are fine wtf

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Spent my DST in the hospital with a baby who had no visible symptoms other than a 103.4 fever that responded poorly to Tylenol. So I went into DST already sleep deprived from 3 days in the hospital and our routines already completely hosed.

Grandma and Grandpa took the 5 year old and of course absolutely wrecked his routine as well. Everything's bad.

We got discharged today and I stupidly decided to go to work tomorrow because my return from FMLA was supposed to be today, so I made my grand return to work by calling out sick. Some shakeups happened in the office while I was gone so I feel compelled to make a good faith effort to be present.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

We took an Amtrak train from Providence to Jersey this weekend and it went beautifully. My 3yo and 10mo were loving saints. They just sat and played, ate snacks, watched out the window, and got some time with the tablet toward the end. The youngest even snuck in a 90-minute nap to cap off an unusual Best Case Scenario Adventure.

Too bad bed time for my oldest is still a loving nightmare though. She gets out of bed to come and tell us she doesn't want to tuck herself into bed and grrrragghhhhh loving toddler brain dude!!!! You wouldnt have to do it yourself if you didn't get out of bed!!!!!

cuber
Dec 29, 2011
apparently my accident-prone 5-yo cracked a tooth. we found out when she was having tooth pain, took her to the dentist who told us she had an abscess and needed an emergency tooth removal. she hates the dentist so much now. looking forward to her being a terrible patient at future appointments.

poor kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Quick question, has anyone ever dealt with a kid who had an extreme fear of being sucked down the drain of the tub? Our daughter is almost 3 and she has recently become so afraid of this happening to her or her toys that she won't take a bath anymore, and only wants a shower. She started talking about it like 6 months ago and we explained how she was too big, the toys were too big, etc etc but it's just gotten worse and worse for some reason.