Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Apparently this latest patch fixes armour not working, so the 'light armour only' era may be over.

Also some balance changes to the Orbital artillery barrages as well as some of the worst weapons.

The railgun, breaker and shield pack also got a nerf to try and kill that meta.

e:f;b - full patch notes on previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

MissMarple posted:

Because my head is still entirely turned by Left4Dead - i'd like some enemies whose gimmick was the same kind of immobilization that almost all the Special Infected exhibited.
Doesn't even have to be a whole faction, maybe just a modifier where a Predator-with-the-numbers-filed-off hunts the Helldivers as they do a mission and if someone gets seperated will happily grappling hook drag their rear end out of there until they can get them to a safe spot to gut them for their samples.
Helldivers yelling into their mic for their squadmates to come and save their rear end.

Sure would stop people running off by themselves to do objectives

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Are the actual weapon/stratagem changes listed somewhere? I see that they were adjusted but not what the adjustments are.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
The specific changes aren't listed in the discord

I've used the flamethrower and the spray and pray like, once each. And the flamethrower was just a pickup I found. I couldn't even tell you the stats they used to have, and (e:, some, whoops) damage numbers etc are obscured so we're gonna have to go off vibes

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh they made another announcement:

quote:

Alex K. has some additional numbers for you regarding weapon balancing:
Breaker: Decreased magazine capacity from 16 to 13, increased recoil from 30 to 55
Railgun: Decreased armor penetration, decreased damage against durable enemy parts
Flamethrower: Increased damage per second by 50%
Laser Cannon: Increased damage against durable enemy parts, increased armor penetration, improved ergonomics
Punisher: Increased total ammo capacity from 40 to 60, increased stagger force, increased damage from 40 per bullet to 45 per bullet
Breaker Spray & Pray: Increased armor penetration, increased fire rate from 300 to 330, increased number of pellets from 12 to 16 per shot, decreased magazine size from to 32 to 26
Energy Shield Backpack: Increased delay before recharging
380mm and 120mm Orbital Barrages: Increased duration of the bombardment, decreased spread

Curious about what exactly "damage against durable parts" means. Armor stripping?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 6, 2024

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Well. Shows what I know

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Sindai posted:

Oh they made another announcement:

Curious about what exactly "damage against durable parts" means. Armor stripping?

Still annoyingly unspecific. How much was the delay increased for shield recharging? Stuff like this matters a lot and can be tested by players, but they could also just tell us.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Calling it now the laser cannon will replace the railgun, I base this off nothing but feels.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
making shield regen slower will not make it not amazing so long as it still prevents hit reactions(slows, knockdowns)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Bit bummed about the breaker nerf, the lack of recoil was what I liked most about it. But I guess that was inevitable, and I don't mind going back to the smg or marksman or lib.

Happy to see laser cannon and flame thrower get buffed though, those are fun and flashy weapons to use. On lower diffsi used the laser cannon all the time, it's great against anything not heavily armored. Gonna give them both a try next time I play.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Took the Punisher and Laser Cannon for a spin against the bugs for the daily. poo poo results: the Punisher could stunlock the warrior-sized bugs but like, what's the point, just kill the fuckers, and the Laser Cannon felt limpdick. Maybe the LC is ultimately preferable for bots over bugs, at least.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

50% dps boost to flamethrower sounds like it could be massive. Keen to give it another try

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Nice that armor works too but I'll probably stick with the scout armor I've been using. At least until I can find a super light armor that also has the robotic prosthetics buffing throw distance

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Play posted:

Nice that armor works too but I'll probably stick with the scout armor I've been using. At least until I can find a super light armor that also has the robotic prosthetics buffing throw distance

It was in the supercredits shop yesterday or the day before, it's really good.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's +50% to the DoT, and I'm pretty sure it does at least some direct damage so not quite +50% overall. Will definitely make it better at area denial though.

Might try playing heavy armor+shield+flammenwerfer for a bit.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
lol if the flamethrower becomes the new meta weapon against chargers.

I'm really curious about how the barrages feel now. Ideally they fill their area but do it slowly enough they work consistently against static targets but are still worse than eagle strikes against moving ones.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Curious to know what "improved ergonomics" on laser cannon means

Some padding on the shoulder rest? RSI-preventative triggers?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I already liked the Flamethrower and I felt it was a decent response to spontaneous bug breaches, so looking forward to testing it out.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Darox posted:

It was in the supercredits shop yesterday or the day before, it's really good.

god dammit

but also it has to look cool

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

BitBasher posted:

Just bought the Scout Handshake, had never seen the emote before. Before the mission started I offered a handshake to the host on the way to the pods and immediately got kicked from the lobby, and I don't blame him. Never going to use it again!

I had to google it as I just assumed it was a slight variation to a high five or something.
I now need this emote on a wheel so I can pick it mid-game to show some people what I think of them.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Glad I got in some Eradication grind for the Stamina Booster before they messed with it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, are people in light armor taking less damage, more damage or the same after the patch?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Fishstick posted:

Curious to know what "improved ergonomics" on laser cannon means

Some padding on the shoulder rest? RSI-preventative triggers?

Without having tested it, probably better equip speed, and turning rate with less swing, where you come to rest on your target sooner. I'm betting they probably mean 'improved handling'.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, are people in light armor taking less damage, more damage or the same after the patch?

Sounds like more

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Kind of frustrated they nerfed all the meta poo poo rather than buffing the stuff that wasn't meta, this way leads to nothing feeling good to use.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm going to guess chargers are going to be a big problem again if railguns can't break the leg armor anymore.

They need to make the butt more vulnerable if they remove options like that, or I'll just have to use the unchanged arc gun now.

If light armor is squishier then that just make the backpack more important, even if the recharge was double or tripled it did sooo much to extend your life and not get ragdolled, so many times I would of died to friendly fire without the shield absorbing some random explosion.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 6, 2024

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Nerfing the only good weapons instead of buffing all the others is so insanely disappointing and incomprehensible. I guess instead of a variety of effective weapons, they want a variety of garbage boring samey poo poo that can’t penetrate armor

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
From what I understand it's more unsafe mode is now mandatory if you want to use it as a problem solver for heavies.

Really do wish they had done more buffs instead of nerfs though, it always feels worse when a team goes that path.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kitfox88 posted:

Kind of frustrated they nerfed all the meta poo poo rather than buffing the stuff that wasn't meta, this way leads to nothing feeling good to use.
they very specifically did buff a number of things that weren't meta

"never nerf" mindset is impractical and usually naive

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm going to guess chargers are going to be a big problem again if railguns can't break the leg armor anymore.

railgun still breaks charger leg armor but only if set to unsafe and overcharged, and usually three shots instead of two

buffed flamethrower seems to kill them pretty quickly now

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
since people were already using arc thrower more and more as an off-meta pick and learning to use it more effectively against chargers, I won't be surprised if you start seeing it all the time now

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Presumably since getting a friendly with an errant shock won't do 95% of their health in a single blow anymore now that armor's fixed it'll be more viable to use in chaotic situations, yeah.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, to the discussion we had a week ago about if they should buff the bad weapons at the same level of the Breaker/Railgun, or nerf the meta Breaker/Railgun to the level of the other weapons, it seems they have chosen a equal opportunity balance system: nerfing the three more salient Op things (shield, railgun, breaker) and the three more UP things (laser cannon, flamethrower, punisher).

Still, time to lower the difficulty by 1, depending of how much the shield/breaker/railgun is changed now!

And pretty good they finally fixed the armors. It was pretty glaring issue, as technically, people could pay for them with money (by buying super credits and then using the second tab) in their store.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

atelier morgan posted:

railgun still breaks charger leg armor but only if set to unsafe and overcharged, and usually three shots instead of two

buffed flamethrower seems to kill them pretty quickly now

The flamethrower could already kill them very quickly if you focused on one limb. Now the flame thrower's DOT improving makes it better spraying down hordes and bolting.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

If you honestly thought the railgun and breaker weren't getting nerfed there's no hope for you lol.

You can't penetrate charger legs with the railgun anymore with two shots (at least on safe mode) this is gonna spice up high level bugs big time.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

We want to be totally transparent but also we don't want to tell you what changes like in a COD patch

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

I know "buff not nerf" has become somewhat of a gamer mantra when discussing game balance, but there's value to nuance and a balanced approach too, and that's what this patch is. It's funny that the devs even felt the need to profusely apologize for nerfing something, they knew the chanting hordes would come for them.

Downsides and quirks for different weapons adds diversity when picking your loadout, and that's fun too. Yes the murderhose autoshotgun should kick like a mule when you spam it, and no, the railgun shouldn't be universally better at busting armor than literal missile launchers.

Besides, if everything is an amazing murderhose with no downsides devs sometimes end up balancing the challenge by making enemies more numerous or harder, and then casual and newer players suffer while sweatlords thrive, it happens a lot in this games with a long lifecycle.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Buff only is idiotic

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

One frustrating thing I've noticed is the inconsistency of your Hellpod doing damage, especially to Bile Titans. There's been quite a few occasions where I've steered the pod directly through a BT and it's done no damage whatsoever.

Last game I played we were out of respawns, had a load of samples/super samples, and were at the last bit of the mission. The only other player respawned me, died, and my pod went through the Bile Titan. This did no damage to it, and it immediately killed me, ending the match. Pretty miffed about that! It felt like real "pushing back against unstoppable odds with lots to gain" fun times, and then it immediately hosed up thanks to weird collision stuff.

Edit: god bless you, incredibly efficient German pubbie. You put a lot of work into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh sweet liber-tea...I booted up the game only to find out that the text-to-speech was literally listing off every menu option I looked at. :suicide:

Any ideas how to kill that?

Edit: I'd turned it off in the menu but it was still talking, a restart fixed that.