Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The automated machines will take them but yeah otherwise you're just trying to convince people this weird money they almost never see is not fake.
I actually have a quarter balboa right in front of me at my work desk because we took it out of our printer coin box because we thought it was just some funny foreign coin. It's just been a desk decoration for years. This conversation is blowing my mind. I guess our library is now $0.25 richer than we thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is my chance, I can get Air Skwirl this time

[clears throat] that's Andorra

e:

ChubbyChecker posted:

that's andorra

gently caress

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phlegmish posted:

This is my chance, I can get Air Skwirl this time

[clears throat] that's Andorra

e:

gently caress

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ChubbyChecker posted:

that's andorra

How did I not know this country even existed despite having family in Barcelona and having driven with them across the Pyranees with them?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Which country does France have the longest border with is a classic pub quiz question, but I have to say Belgium being #2 is a tough one too

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Phlegmish posted:

France having a longer border with Belgium than with Spain doesn't seem right, but maybe its northern border is just exceptionally irregular. Don't you run into a sort of 'coastline paradox' when trying to measure the length of a border, anyway?

I wonder how much if the NL-BE border is in Baarle-Hertog.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Pakled posted:

That owl looks like the logo of a college sports team

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
i know I say things people don't like sometimes, but do people really want to get me? I don't want to get other people.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No, it was just a joke referring to the thread regulars' (including and especially myself) penchant for pedantry and going 'well actually'. Nothing to do with you specifically, don't worry about it.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Phlegmish posted:

France having a longer border with Belgium than with Spain doesn't seem right, but maybe its northern border is just exceptionally irregular. Don't you run into a sort of 'coastline paradox' when trying to measure the length of a border, anyway?

I thought that too but it checks out

Half joking but if you hammer out all the squiggles and stuff Belgium takes it in Europe. Even just the pokey bit of Ardennes where Givet is does a lot of work. Also, lol Belgium smoll

e: special mention to Luxembourg slotting in right where Andorra is and looking big in comparison

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 6, 2024

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

All of France’s borders are pretty short so it doesn’t take a lot for it to be a big one. The borders just all seem bigger since France and its big neighbors is so central in European and world history.

Imagination makes Germany France and Spain seem much larger than they are

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

soviet elsa posted:

e: special mention to Luxembourg slotting in right where Andorra is and looking big in comparison

Luxembourg making sure it's surrounded by countries like Andorra and San Marino when taking pictures for Tinder

drk
Jan 16, 2005

soviet elsa posted:

You could go between the US/Mexico/Canada borders without a passport when I was a kid. Thanks for ruining a good thing, Bush.

You can do this with a passport card, which is $30. Sure, its more than zero but its hardly out of reach for people traveling across the border, even if only rarely. I use mine for domestic air travel too cuz I cant be bothered to get a Real-ID compliant state ID.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

loling at these scrub dinosaurs as I sip hot leaf juice* from Toyo-Sasaki HARD STRONG glassware, strengthened by ion exchange

*Camellia sinensis has not yet evolved.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 6, 2024

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Luxembourg making sure it's surrounded by countries like Andorra and San Marino when taking pictures for Tinder

Actually I think Luxembourg is relying more on a "I'm rich" strategy

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

drk posted:

You can do this with a passport card, which is $30. Sure, its more than zero but its hardly out of reach for people traveling across the border, even if only rarely. I use mine for domestic air travel too cuz I cant be bothered to get a Real-ID compliant state ID.

Getting a Real-ID compliant state ID is 10x the work of the US Passport Card the first time.

They're great for US expats, since US driver's licenses are based on US state residency (explicitly so by law, if they're Real ID Act compliant), and it provides a federally-recognized backup in case you lose your US Passport Book.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

It triggers me that the circular blast radii should be distorted on that projection.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

dublish posted:

It triggers me that the circular blast radii should be distorted on that projection.

u are not alone in this matter

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Air Skwirl posted:

i know I say things people don't like sometimes, but do people really want to get me? I don't want to get other people.

DEATH TO FLYING MAILBOXES

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
One thing that is bugging me about that impact map, and I'm not sure if I'm just misinformed or what but was Africa really that different 65 MA? I know America was a lot different looking and Europe as well but I like looking at gifs of tectonic drift and I've never seen Africa that different that close to the oresent

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The main thing I remember about the geological history of Africa is that at some point the Sahara was underwater, so it checks out.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SlothfulCobra posted:

The main thing I remember about the geological history of Africa is that at some point the Sahara was underwater, so it checks out.
Yeah, that Africa is not meaningfully different from today, except for parts of it being under water. The continent has seen a massive amount of uplift in the recent geologic past.

Extend the above backwards, and it's easy to imagine the north getting flooded.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Libvia

A Buttery Pastry posted:

not meaningfully different from today, except for parts of it being under water.
Oh that's what the Year 3000 song was about.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

Libvia

What?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's one of those alternative timelines that argues that Homer's epics were all Scandi. A bit like Anatoly Fomenko's New Chronology that argues that Jesus was born in Crimea and is therefore Russian, but without all the obvious linking to Christian nationalist fascism.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Temesvár (Thames)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Brits who voted for Brexit because they were scared of Romanians looking in the mirror and realizing that they have always been the Romanians.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

The borders of Southern Baptist and Mormon tell a story in themselves.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wow there are no counties where less than two percent but more than one percent of residents are Mormons, or less than six percent but more than five percent, and so on.

The Lᴏʀᴅ works in mysterious ways. 🙏🏻

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The West Coast being almost entirely Catholic plurality makes me question their survey methods.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Air Skwirl posted:

The West Coast being almost entirely Catholic plurality makes me question their survey methods.

Huge Latino population and each Protestant group being counted separately makes it not that difficult

Results all make sense to me at an eye glance. They picked up Louisville and the Kentucky holy land as Catholic plurality areas which I would only expect from someone whose familiar with the area or actually going by data

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Which counties are “none reported”?

Loving, Texas and Alpine, California?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah the first few other maps I found seemed to report similar, so it's either true or a prestigious flawed dataset.

Also notably it doesn't really correspond to congressional representation, but it's not like most americans vote by religion anyways.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Religions of the US House of Representatives.

Animated!

And it can also be interesting to see maps where they cut out the top options to show more variety.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

Not knowing the exact numbers, it seems like Catholics generally have an advantage in maps like these due to the fractured nature of Protestantism. Maybe one loose Protestant group would have a plurality if you lump two factions together, but if you call them different churches the plurality goes back to the Catholics. If you've got some idiosyncratic Catholics, they'll still swear they're Catholics, while idiosyncratic Protestant denominations are more likely to just be called their own little unique thing. The more categories you're willing to acknowledge, the more Catholic pluralities you're going to end up with.

Like in the neat animated map above there's a lot of "X and Y" categories. If you chose to split those two groups up in your data, they'd be much less likely to be a plurality anywhere.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:catstare:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Guavanaut posted:

Libvia

Not literally this, but maybe a Homer was inspired by a old story with north origin.

Obviusly localizing the names and conflicts to the greeksphere.

Kinda how the bible themes copy a lot of elements from older stories, the jesus theme is a copy too.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Tei posted:

Not literally this, but maybe a Homer was inspired by a old story with north origin.

Kinda how the bible themes copy a lot of elements from older stories, the jesus theme is a copy too.

Sadly no, we have very good historical and archaeological evidence that the mythological/oral-historic Troy is based on an actual polity in western Anatolia, and the two names we're given for it (Troy and Ilium) are closely related to names that appear in Hittite records, Truwisa and Wilusa. What's wild is that the Greeks later resettled the location of Troy and operated it as a tourist site, because that's just what humans do.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cool map. The Mormon area is interesting. You can see it contract from 1952 to 1971 for some reason, and then it starts expanding. I wonder what the current trend is like. They probably still have higher birth rates than other denominations, but it's presumably canceled out by all the migration from in and outside of the country.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Quorum posted:

Sadly no, we have very good historical and archaeological evidence that the mythological/oral-historic Troy is based on an actual polity in western Anatolia, and the two names we're given for it (Troy and Ilium) are closely related to names that appear in Hittite records, Truwisa and Wilusa. What's wild is that the Greeks later resettled the location of Troy and operated it as a tourist site, because that's just what humans do.

And as our tour nears its end, remember the sage advice uttered by Achilles himself: Try the churros!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I would think that the aggressive prosyletization would be more important to the expansion of mormon influence rather than raw breeding and reproduction.

Tei posted:

It seems a lot dumber to get that lost in a much smaller sea when you're hugging the coast for such critical junctures. And then Charybdis isn't at a strait that would be necessary to go through?

Also seems like ice would've probably come up at some point if he was wandering around the north sea for years.