Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

LanceHunter posted:

First, I want to acknowledge that the mere mention of Grandy's created this immediate, intense sense memory of fried okra and country gravy. (And the nearest location is over 120 miles away! :owned:)

Second, I was going to bring up how surely folks like the general manager of a Chick-Fil-A (whose stores average $8.7 million in sales each year) are probably making decent bank. I assumed that it was one of those stealth-wealth jobs, where you don't realize that the person in the role is pulling in six figures. I just looked it up, though, and according to GlassDoor they're getting $58k-$78k. About enough to afford a $300k home if they don't have any other debt.

But I guess they do get Sundays off...

Same, but chicken strips, mashed potatoes and gravy. And those cinnamon rolls I used to pick the raisins out of.

Surprised they're still around.

I think Chick-Fil-A wage growth for management is also limited by company policies. IIRC corporate allows a franchisee to have no more than like 3 stores, so there really isn't a higher place to go after you hit store manager like there might be with other franchisee companies where they own dozens of McDonalds.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Apparently Chick Fil A franchising is also fairly arduous since they control everything. Cheap to buy in but you have to do their program and they rotate you around without input on your end. Sat next to a dude at a wedding who was finishing up his rotations and while he ultimately opened a store in the city he wanted, it took a few years and stints across the US to do so.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Chik Fil A franchisees are guaranteed a spot in heaven though. You can't put a price on that.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

Chik Fil A franchisees are guaranteed a spot in heaven though. You can't put a price on that.

Church of the SubGenius has already guaranteed me salvation or triple my money back. I think that's a better deal.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
but bob dobbs is dead

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

but bob dobbs is dead

There is no greater post/username combo.

How many years have you been waiting for this moment?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
7?

Emptyquoter
Feb 26, 2014

but bob dobbs is dead

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

but bob dobbs is dead

god tier post

Content from GiP:

Baddog
May 12, 2001

but bob dobbs is dead

perfect

drk
Jan 16, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

I go on a lot of vintage/historic homes tours and most of them have some variation of "The owner bought this house while they were working <low paying job by today's standards> in the 70s/80s"

My favorite is the guy that worked for a Grandys restaurant for 50 years and has a million dollar home.

Imagine anyone working in food service today being able to afford a 2000sqft home in the city.

I mean, waitstaff at a higher end restaurant can easily clear $100k/year in tips. But, at the kind of place where people will drop $300 on lunch for two, not a Waffle House

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Is income from tips something banks will let you use as income for mortgage underwriting purposes?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the ones on your w-2, sure. the cash that went into your pocket unreported, nope

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

SpartanIvy posted:

Is income from tips something banks will let you use as income for mortgage underwriting purposes?

couldn't you just demonstrate a running account balance of like 6 figures for 12 months though? That should be enough, surely

Baddog
May 12, 2001

adnam posted:

couldn't you just demonstrate a running account balance of like 6 figures for 12 months though? That should be enough, surely

As someone who tried to get a mortgage while playing poker full time .... no, no, they don't like that.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

adnam posted:

Six figures doesn't count for much. Seven figures would probably get you there but you'd want to have a relationship with the bank writing the loan. I've worked with customers who have super lumpy income but a lot of money, its not going to be the cheapest loan out there but someone has the credit appetite for it.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

but bob dobbs is dead

congrats on your apotheosis

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I think Chick-Fil-A wage growth for management is also limited by company policies. IIRC corporate allows a franchisee to have no more than like 3 stores, so there really isn't a higher place to go after you hit store manager like there might be with other franchisee companies where they own dozens of McDonalds.

Most franchisees can only have one store, it’s a recent development that they started letting top performers open additional ones.

Owners have to work in the stores basically full-time, and it’s managing a seriously large team; they’ll have 80+ kids on staff at any given time, versus a McDs or other fast food franchise that tries to limit shifts to like, 4 people.

The entry cost for CFA is low, but it’s incredibly competitive. Yes, you need to be appropriately religious (and prove it), but on top of that, with site selection being controlled by corporate, it’s not like you can open them left and right like Subways. I think I saw that the odds of getting a store is like 1/1000.

But, top operators get great benefits. CFA has an annual cruise that they do every year for store owners where they have at least 2, if not 3 ships at sea. Top earners get rewards like cars, and can get them every year. There was a guy who had multiple corvettes and f150s, all gifted by corporate.

So, while it’s not as traditionally GWM like a McDs franchise might be, it can be way safer with great perks.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Schiavona posted:

Most franchisees can only have one store, it’s a recent development that they started letting top performers open additional ones.

Owners have to work in the stores basically full-time, and it’s managing a seriously large team; they’ll have 80+ kids on staff at any given time, versus a McDs or other fast food franchise that tries to limit shifts to like, 4 people.

The entry cost for CFA is low, but it’s incredibly competitive. Yes, you need to be appropriately religious (and prove it), but on top of that, with site selection being controlled by corporate, it’s not like you can open them left and right like Subways. I think I saw that the odds of getting a store is like 1/1000.

But, top operators get great benefits. CFA has an annual cruise that they do every year for store owners where they have at least 2, if not 3 ships at sea. Top earners get rewards like cars, and can get them every year. There was a guy who had multiple corvettes and f150s, all gifted by corporate.

So, while it’s not as traditionally GWM like a McDs franchise might be, it can be way safer with great perks.

I've always wondered who the typical McDonald's (and I guess chik-fil-a) owner is. It seems like the type of person who is successful enough to save up the $1m or whatever to open a store probably wouldn't want to trade it for working as a manager in a fast food restaurant for 60-80 hours/week, but clearly I'm wrong.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
chik-fil-a buyin is 10 grand and the rest is loaned / rented to you by the company, so quite different from mcdonalds buyin of usually about 1-2 million

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The guy who owns all the McDonald's in your area is probably the second richest small business owner after the guy who owns all the car dealerships in your area.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Residency Evil posted:

I've always wondered who the typical McDonald's (and I guess chik-fil-a) owner is. It seems like the type of person who is successful enough to save up the $1m or whatever to open a store probably wouldn't want to trade it for working as a manager in a fast food restaurant for 60-80 hours/week, but clearly I'm wrong.

I think a lot of people get into franchising smaller places because they have illusions of grandeur thinking that they'll be able to hire a manager to manage their store while they play golf all day, not knowing that the life of a restaurant owner means 80 hour weeks.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cerekk posted:

The guy who owns all the McDonald's in your area is probably the second richest small business owner after the guy who owns all the car dealerships in your area.

The car dealerships in my area are mostly owned by a Fortune 500 traded company, but yeah I'm sure the kids/grandkids were taken care of.

I guess McDonalds is okay with an owner hiring managers for their stores after a certain point?

edit:

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think a lot of people get into franchising smaller places because they have illusions of grandeur thinking that they'll be able to hire a manager to manage their store while they play golf all day, not knowing that the life of a restaurant owner means 80 hour weeks.

Is this it? People buy franchises with dollar signs in their eyes, not knowing that most of them will never get to that point?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cerekk posted:

This is absolutely true most anywhere that's not a major city or industrial hub. Any potentially is anyway for an individual who owns things rather than "corporation is worth a lot".

I look at that and just think about having to deal with the general public that much means it's not worth it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean, yeah, sure, for the first couple years, but I am so savvy and good at this that I will open 4 more locations in the next five years and then the money machine will just run itself!

One of my neighbors is in a franchise dispute with chick fil a. Her father has run a franchise for like 30 years and is wanting to retire and sell it to his daughter for her family to run. Corp says naah, if you're going to retire and sell it you're selling it to one of the people on our approved list.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
My friends experience with McD is that you aren't getting rich from the restaurant, (unless you own like 5). You typically make a middle class median wage for the work.

The real riches come when you sell your franchise to the next sucker owner.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Then there’s Shaq who reportedly owns a high double digit/triple digit number of franchises

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

I was buddies with a guy who owned four Burger Kings and a night club in Minneapolis. Dude knew Prince, which makes him one of the cooler guys on the planet.

He was a typical rich hustling corporate guy though. Nothing special, that was just his niche that he spotted and filled in the city and made bank doing. He definitely wasn't frying burgers or doing anything else in the restaurants that I saw. He took on more of a moderately successful CEO role, I guess I would describe it?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
franchises are a market for lemons. absolutely classic akerlof-style info asymmetry. therefore there are entire classes of restaurant chains that ostensibly look like restaurant chains and sell the food and all but in reality exist to scam franchisees

mcdonalds is actually not one of them, they make money for the franchisees usually, but they're out there. subway in particular

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

franchises are a market for lemons. absolutely classic akerlof-style info asymmetry. therefore there are entire classes of restaurant chains that ostensibly look like restaurant chains and sell the food and all but in reality exist to scam franchisees

mcdonalds is actually not one of them, they make money for the franchisees usually, but they're out there. subway in particular

Could you link a good article for me to learn about Akerlof asymmetry?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the original paper is a straightforward read

https://www.sfu.ca/~wainwrig/Econ400/akerlof.pdf

ignore the math, economists can't do math and often can't do empirics neither

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

okay. it's late so i could be off. but based on reading.. i'm not sure what an "akerlof asymmetry" is exactly. or if the paper relates to buying franchises

his paper seems to say:

there are markets in which information is asymmetric. (okay)

in our best example of this, in a market of new cars, used cars, having both categories of good cars and lemons.. good cars and lemons all sell at the same price because why wouldn't people with "lemons" sell the car at the same price as good cars since no one can tell the difference?

this actually hurts people with "good cars" since they cannot sell their car at a premium price because buyers cannot tell the difference between lemons and good cars.

in this kind of market, where the buyer cannot tell about quality, what the buyer will do is accept only an "average price" that minimizes their financial risk. lemon sellers are happy because they're still getting more than they would if the buyer knew they were selling a lemon. but this drives "good cars" out of the market since they will never get their actual worth for their car. to be fair his explanation is a little bit hand-wavy but i assume this is because the people with good cars may just opt to not sell if they can't get a good price..

he has other examples of markets acting negatively towards "lemons" (including one about race that i'm not going to touch right before bed). but one specifically about how people over the age of 65 cannot get insurance and why there just isn't a price hike that will end up covering people over the age of 65. his statement is that as the price rises for insurance, the only people willing to pay are the "lemons" or people over the age of 65 with serious medical conditions. so anyone considered to be a good customer of this policy probably won't be in it (due to price)

his solution is that 1 of 3 things need to exist in a market: a guarantee (warranty), having a brand name or chain that promotes reliability, and having licenses for the practice of that market.

so i guess my question is: how does this pertain to the buying of franchises? it seems that while there is information asymmetry.. people in here already seem to know mcdonalds franchises are the more lucrative and subway ones and maybe even chik-fil-a franchises aren't as good...

i mean assuming you mean just one type of chain's franchises like just mcdonald's franchises. it can be hard to figure out which mcdonald's are actually making money and ones that aren't. but wouldn't a buyer have access to the books before they actually purchased it?

anyways this is my late night reading of it so maybe i'm not fully understanding it. but to me if it was a market like akerlof described, it would basically be non-existent as the "lemons" drive the non-lemons out of the market without some sort of protection.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Strong Sauce posted:

so i guess my question is: how does this pertain to the buying of franchises? it seems that while there is information asymmetry.. people in here already seem to know mcdonalds franchises are the more lucrative and subway ones and maybe even chik-fil-a franchises aren't as good...

i mean assuming you mean just one type of chain's franchises like just mcdonald's franchises. it can be hard to figure out which mcdonald's are actually making money and ones that aren't. but wouldn't a buyer have access to the books before they actually purchased it?

anyways this is my late night reading of it so maybe i'm not fully understanding it. but to me if it was a market like akerlof described, it would basically be non-existent as the "lemons" drive the non-lemons out of the market without some sort of protection.

I think OP's point is that some franchises are good and some are dogshit and the bad ones use that information advantage to take advantage of unsophisticated by buyers.

But I also think you're right that this doesn't exactly match the classic "market for lemons" model, because in that model sellers of the good product are also harmed by having their product undervalued. Everyone suffers except the scam sellers, which is why intervention by a government regulator is usually needed. It's not really clear that valuable franchise sellers are having their prices depressed because scam franchise sellers are also in the market.

It may be a similar but not the same situation of: Unscrupulous sellers appear as a sort of parasitic market targeting unsophisticated buyers who can't afford the good and desirable product, but sophisticated buyers can still tell the difference. A similar situation might be the market for knockoff luxury watches. Sophisticated buyers who actually care about quality can avoid them, and the price of a genuine Rolex isn't driven down to the average of all nice looking watches. However, there's still plenty of people selling dogshit knockoffs to unsophisticated buyers or people who can't afford a genuine one.

It's a little.bitnof an awkward comparison because I can't imagine someone buying a Subway shop for social prestige the way someone buys a knockoff Rolex... But then again this is the BWM thread.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SpartanIvy posted:

Seems like you can, though, it's about $10,000.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

there are entire classes of restaurant chains that ostensibly look like restaurant chains and sell the food and all but in reality exist to scam franchisees

In the Netherlands this is/was Papa Johns.

Some guy franchised the rights from the US business for the entire country (this is actually quite common, McDonalds NL operates the same way), and then went looking for local franchisees.
He ended up pitching Papa John's franchises mainly to Turkish entrepreneurs with little access to credit so they could overburden them loans and completely gently caress them in every way.

One of them was on the news telling his whole story and said "I'm already 300k in debt to Papa Johns, I don't care about a 25k fine for breaking the NDA anymore."

Those Turkish franchisees came together to sue Papa John's NL, but I haven't heard anything since then. I can only find a public verdict in a case where PJ Europe sued a franchisee for not inputting his cash sales into the POS system (probably because he wanted to avoid PJ taking their cut).
So it probably got either settled, or stuck in the courts during the pandemic

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Sir, this is a franchisee owned Wendy's.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Apparently Chick Fil A franchising is also fairly arduous since they control everything. Cheap to buy in but you have to do their program and they rotate you around without input on your end. Sat next to a dude at a wedding who was finishing up his rotations and while he ultimately opened a store in the city he wanted, it took a few years and stints across the US to do so.

That seems like a lot of work to serve Very Okay fried chicken.

Don’t get me wrong - it’s not bad. But it’s not especially good. I don’t get why people wait in line like 2 hours for it (PNW has this problem at lunch time).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the point isn't to make fried chicken its to get paid

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Then there’s Shaq who reportedly owns a high double digit/triple digit number of franchises

There's a big difference between the dude who owns one franchise and probably has to manage it himself, and the already rich dude who buys them as a way to have turn-key income. If you stumble backwards into a few tens of millions of dollars the right franchises can be a pretty solid way to have a good income stream and tie your money up into an asset that generally appreciates in value. At that point you're just hiring people/a company to manage them for you, though, and you're purely the source of capital.

See also: people who buy 5-10 investment properties and rent them out while outsourcing the day to day property management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

rufius posted:

That seems like a lot of work to serve Very Okay fried chicken.

Don’t get me wrong - it’s not bad. But it’s not especially good. I don’t get why people wait in line like 2 hours for it (PNW has this problem at lunch time).

I’ve got a post around here somewhere about this; it’s partly a combo of conservative political identity, subservient staff and creepy investment crossover from churches.