Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
In the grand tradition of Persona re-releases, Reload is much easier than the PS2 games. I was playing FES recently and got folded on floor 1 of Tartarus due to an ambush and the tower bosses require way more effort to take down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Rolled credits. Good game, just the weakest of the three for me for various reasons.

Did not get to complete the Hermit S-Link, but did get far enough to figure it's definitely a contender for worst in the game. Of the other two I didn't get to complete, I wish I had instead focused on maxing the Star one, since it caused me to miss its ultimate persona and therefore the last Theurgy.

Also, concerning the Hanged Man S-link, I know I'm late to the party, but did they really just gloss over the whole child abuse angle?

Anyway, onto Persona 6 in 2026!

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

A handful of links probably could have used a rewrite for Reload, but the Hanged Man link especially comes across as weird for several reasons.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Hermit was fun until rank 8 or 9, when out of nowhere she starts talking about having a crush on a student. Why

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Got all Social Links and Linked events done with one day left over. There were a few wasted Sundays, which I could have saved for Star, and switched a few weekday hangouts with Star with some others.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Hermit was fun until rank 8 or 9, when out of nowhere she starts talking about having a crush on a student. Why

she's like a thirty/fortysomthing lady drunkenly oversharing in an online mmo, and it isnt treated as anything other than that.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I finally finished P4G. It turned out to be better than I initially gave it credit for.

It also managed to stir up feelings and memories of my worst breakup, which I guess makes it art.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Compared to 5, the hermit SL seems pretty tame.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

she's like a thirty/fortysomthing lady drunkenly oversharing in an online mmo, and it isnt treated as anything other than that.

Her "oversharing" includes "jokes" about grooming you

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I finally finished P4G. It turned out to be better than I initially gave it credit for.

The G stands for "Greatest in the series so far"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Her "oversharing" includes "jokes" about grooming you

To be fair that is entirely accurate for how I remember talking online in that time period.

Never ever going to forget the sheer grossness of the Olsen Twin's 18th Birthday Countdown.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it is the MMO experience

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
People would like the hermit link more if Maya also make you lockpicks and curry

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Electric Phantasm posted:

The Answer is worth it for Heartful Cry.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

People would like the hermit link more if Maya also make you lockpicks and curry

I disliked that SL in P5R but drat it was too useful to pass up just the idea of being able to more 1 more activity before being forced to go to bed by a cat adds so many options.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Why is there so much "teachers getting with students" stuff in p3-5?
Like, it shows up an abnormal amount. A concerning amount.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hashino doesnt understand how high school works.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Teen fantasy and cultural differences in how such relationships are interpreted mostly.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Neeksy posted:

Let’s see:

P3: Hermit, kinda Kenji but at least it’s the other way round and clearly labeled as a Bad Idea
P4: Kashiwagi, plus a few weird comments from faceless teachers
P5: Becky, Kamoshida

Also I’ll have to go read their actual romance routes but my current tier of P3R romance options:

Yukari > Yuko > Aigis > Fuuka > Mitsuru > Chihiro

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Neeksy posted:

Hot for teacher is one of the most common fantasies on earth.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

David Lee Roth approves.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

CullenDaGaDee posted:

A handful of links probably could have used a rewrite for Reload, but the Hanged Man link especially comes across as weird for several reasons.

it does have the funniest response in all persona, where you can tell her that her parents divorcing is probably her fault

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Let’s see:

P3: Hermit, kinda Kenji but at least it’s the other way round and clearly labeled as a Bad Idea
P4: Kashiwagi, plus a few weird comments from faceless teachers
P5: Becky, Kamoshida

I'm at least glad that Kamoshida is pretty unambiguously not meant to be a role model in any way. They did a great job of making him a very easy-to-hate bad guy. Helps that he's based on a real-life monster.

P3 has been my least favorite of the three latest Persona games up to this point, but I only played P3P, so that may be unfair. I still like the game, I just like the other two better. I'm going to break down and get the reload tomorrow, I think. I doubt it will change my ranking of the games (5R>4G>3P), but even if it doesn't, I'd like to like the game more than I do.

claw game handjob posted:

I gotta say, I'm really looking forward to finding out what the modern response to The Answer is, especially if it doesn't end up overhauled significantly. Is this gonna be a case of "it was ahead of its time" and the people who came in at 4/5 love it, or is this gonna end with a lot of people sour as the "finale" drops with some vets I Told You So'ing to boot?

I guess it could also just land with a wet fart and nobody really feels strongly but where's the fun in that

I never played it but I spoiled the plot for myself a while back and it actually seems really good, from that angle. I'm looking forward to experiencing it myself. I always liked Yukari and Aigis, and it sounds like there's a lot of them, so that helps.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Majorian posted:

I'm going to break down and get the reload tomorrow, I think.

If Game Pass is an option, it's available there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I could rank the games but honestly how it ends up is whatever game I haven’t played the longest I rank last, and then when I play it again all those issues seem to not matter as much and I love the game again.

So years ago I said P3 was the worst due to dated mechanics, then I played it and honestly it was fine. Then I said P4 was the worst due to Yosuke and Teddie not aging well, and then I replayed it and… well they still don’t age well but it doesn’t affect the game being a lot of fun. Now I’d say P5 is my least favourite due to how unevenly screen time is given to Ann/Yusuke/Haru and the links feeling less impactful… but I’m sure when I relay it I’ll love all the good parts of it again.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Artelier posted:

If Game Pass is an option, it's available there.

It's not an option for me at least at the moment, sadly, but I appreciate the pointer. I'll probably get it on Steam.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I could rank the games but honestly how it ends up is whatever game I haven’t played the longest I rank last, and then when I play it again all those issues seem to not matter as much and I love the game again.

So years ago I said P3 was the worst due to dated mechanics, then I played it and honestly it was fine. Then I said P4 was the worst due to Yosuke and Teddie not aging well, and then I replayed it and… well they still don’t age well but it doesn’t affect the game being a lot of fun. Now I’d say P5 is my least favourite due to how unevenly screen time is given to Ann/Yusuke/Haru and the links feeling less impactful… but I’m sure when I relay it I’ll love all the good parts of it again.

That's a good way of looking at it, and I certainly agree with your criticism of 5. I love those three characters and it drives me crazy how much their links feel like wasted opportunities. I'm glad that they get a lot more to do in Strikers/Scramble, which, even as someone who doesn't usually like Musou games, I found to be an absolute delight. But I honestly don't know how they let those characters languish as much as they did. It probably would have helped Yusuke considerably if Atlus would let your main character romance someone of the same gender, but nooooo, can't have that.

I think a big part of what makes me love 5 so much is that I never played the vanilla version. I never had to deal with the even-worse version of the Okumura Palace, never had to sit through an even-worse-written fight between Ryuji and Morgana, and got to enjoy the absolute masterpiece that is the third semester (including Crazy Messy Bitch Akechi, as opposed to Soy Boy Akechi). So I think that's always going to color my perception of the game, but I'm glad my first experience of the game was at its best.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 6, 2024

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It was my first so I may be biased but Persona 3 never stopped being the best one and reload proved it again to me. Maybe I'll finally play through Royal now that its been so long since 5, a Golden replay can wait until the eventually remake

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I didn’t really get the appeal of Persona 3 over 4 until I played FES, which made me appreciate the game a lot more. My first experience with it was Persona 3 Portable which I always felt just played like a watered down Persona 4 with worse presentation for the story.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Finished P3R at about 60 hours. Good game, though it's hilarious how easy the final boss is now especially if you've beaten the Reaper and then gotten your party to like levels 90+. I was convinced I was misreading and his health bar wasn't actually melting that fast, but nope, he's dead. Did it with Yukari/Junpei/Koromaru but I think that I could have easily used a less-optimal party.

Also re: Hermit, it's extra funny that the part where all your SLs blab about how amazing you are near the end, Maya is suddenly voiced. Also her confession during the final days got extended and is actually pretty amusing to watch.

Will probably slowly write up more about it later, but hitting some quick bullet points:

Extra hangouts for the guys are great. Fleshes them out more and makes it seem like MC is actually friends with them.
The new night activites are also very good just to add more personality to everyone. The bonuses are also all good even if some are better than others.
The extra Takaya scenes are vaguely interesting but honestly you could have removed them and I wouldn't have noticed. I honestly forgot he was there during the ending.
Balance tweaks did a good job of making everyone useful. You can make some complaints like Akihiko losing utility or Mitsuru losing Diarahan, but I think everyone works out really well and they all have a case to be brought along in a party. I still feel like Aigis is my least 'useful' character, but I'm sure someone out there loves using her.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The linked episodes were great, all the development a social link gives you but at the story’s pace. A good compromise for party members if you can’t save their link for after their actual in story development like Mitsuru or Aigis

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

ApplesandOranges posted:

Finished P3R at about 60 hours. Good game, though it's hilarious how easy the final boss is now especially if you've beaten the Reaper and then gotten your party to like levels 90+. I was convinced I was misreading and his health bar wasn't actually melting that fast, but nope, he's dead.

:same:

Though my party was Koromaru/Ken/Mitsuru. I did everything except beat Elizabeth, so MC was lvl99 with Orpheus Telos and various other heavy hitters and everyone else war 90+. I gotta say that I absolutely loved the music choice for the very last confrontation after the final boss fight. It felt... ...apt.

I felt like I was back in 2006 while watching the ending, and damned if there wasn't a single tear.

I think P3R might slightly edge out P5R as my favourite Persona game.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Folks,
https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1765443378131665080?t=sUHfkmOqSg1gvp-j2hF4Bg&s=19

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
As an Answer liker, I'm for it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hopefully they tweak the writing a bit

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's been too long so I can't really remember the writing issues.

My only issue while playing through it were the bosses that show up, that reflect or are immune to ever element except one, and then have a 50% dodge on the one thing that can damage them.

Yeah, I'm probably supposed to use the break skills, but no. I will not.

I actually enjoyed not having a person compendium available. Made me fuse better and smarter, instead of just throwing a bunch of stuff together and then pulling out the good ones again.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

They're actually trying this. That's...well, it's hilarious in a sad way that they're nickel-and-diming people like this and it's probably going to work?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The story is good conceptually but some small things bothered me but thats spoiler stuff also its been fifteen years or something and maybe Im misremembering

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Answer's big problems are largely that it basically serves to drive home what was done relatively subtle about the ending and that it adds an unnecessary twist to the end which just kind of makes the whole thing more sour.

I'm more curious how they adjust the gameplay

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Hellioning posted:

They're actually trying this. That's...well, it's hilarious in a sad way that they're nickel-and-diming people like this and it's probably going to work?

I prefer DLC in a timely manner to the usual Atlus shenanigans of waiting a year and dropping ‘Persona 3 Locked and Reloaded” for another seventy dollars at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No thanks