Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

pedrovay2003 posted:

What did you think of RE8 compared to RE7? I think I'm in the minority here, but I liked RE7 more. The Family was just such a memorable cast of characters for me (and the End of Zoe DLC was so much fun that I don't even have words to describe it).

RE7 is one of the best games in the series, RE8 is arguably one of the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think public opinion on 8 has deflated overall. i don't really like re7 but i get what about it works for people but re8 i think is just kind of dull

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, it does feel like there's been a turnaround on 8 opinions over the last year or so. I don't know exactly what my current opinion is - even though I respect the style 7 was going for, I liked 8 better at the time because the combat was much more fun and I'm fine with the action focus. It ranked pretty high on my series list when it came out, but I haven't touched it since 4 Remake, and I've seen multiple people say its gunplay doesn't feel so good in comparison. So who knows how I rank it in 2024 :iiam:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

friendly reminder that the thaumaturge came out yesterday and it looks boss

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

8 is great and calling it one of the worst RE games blows my mind. Yes I am action FPS enjoyer gamer, sue me.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like RE8 a lot but I didn't have any desire to buy the DLC. RE7 + the DLC is one of my favorite games ever so I like it more, but I don't think RE8 is one of the worst at all.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Meowywitch posted:

RE7 is one of the best games in the series, RE8 is arguably one of the worst

I think 'worst' is a little strong when stinkers like 5, 6 and Code Veronica are out there. But I fully agree with the general sentiment. RE7 is probably my favorite RE game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mr E posted:

I like RE8 a lot but I didn't have any desire to buy the DLC. RE7 + the DLC is one of my favorite games ever so I like it more, but I don't think RE8 is one of the worst at all.

Yeah, I was mixed on the 8 DLC, mostly because it just kinda threw random stuff together. The story campaign was fun enough, just held back a bit by not having a NG+ where you can just go hog wild with the new powers it gives you. Third person mode is fine, but kind of a "who cares" addition since the game worked alright as it was. There's some entertaining stuff added to Mercenaries, but I don't really touch that mode so it's of no use to me.

So yeah, the story part was fine on its own, but it just felt like there wasn't much there compared to everything 7 gave you, and there wasn't a really standout piece like End of Zoe.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like action fps games and re8's inconsistency in focus is one of my main complaints with it. as a horror game it's a bit too much of a mishmash and the more overtly horror parts aren't in line with what i like out of resident evil, they feel more like haunting ground. the more actiony parts are okay but don't feel as good as any of the more overtly action-heavy third person games. re8 isn't Bad but it's a bit too identityless, it's got a lot of ideas but unlike re4 where that mishmash of ideas somehow manages to cohere into a fun ride re8 is more like you're bouncing between five different smaller horror games and none of them feed into each other very well.

i despise the re8 dlc, it plays like poo poo and the writing is awful. i like that kind of strange psychological horror but it's not a good fit for re and they didn't execute it well at all

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Calling Village one of the worst is crazy. Even if you don't like it it's not a chore to play the way CV, Zero, and 6 are, nor is it an awful remake like 3R. Its biggest issue is that the Village itself is a nightmare to navigate and that it clearly got chopped up during development worse than most of the games in the series.

7 is more solid as a product and as a sort of mission statement for the series going forward, but I'd rather play Village. Granted I also like Gothic horror and weird mechanical body horror more than I like Texas Chainsaw hillbilly horror.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think anyone is actually calling 8 the worst game in the series it's just the newest one and we haven't seen re9 yet so 8's negative traits linger in peoples' minds more

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think if 8 had it's own identity I'd probably like it more but as it is, the whole game is "Remember RE4?" and well. It just makes me think about how much better 4 is lol.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's really bizarre that re8 opens with that whole storybook animation and it's super stylish and weird and tone-setting and then. basically none of that actually reflects what the rest of the game is like in any way

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The Colonel posted:

i think public opinion on 8 has deflated overall. i don't really like re7 but i get what about it works for people but re8 i think is just kind of dull

Has it? The only negative opinions I've heard from it come from this thread and the RE thread here... otherwise people are pretty unanimous that it's at least good if not great. And they're right

And some people on these forums will try to get you to believe RE6 is good... you can't trust them

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Colonel posted:

i dont think anyone is actually calling 8 the worst game in the series it's just the newest one and we haven't seen re9 yet so 8's negative traits linger in peoples' minds more

no i kinda literally did

but i was being hyperbolic, yes. 8 isn't the worst, but it is one I have never gone back to so that means something at least

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Has it? The only negative opinions I've heard from it come from this thread and the RE thread here... otherwise people are pretty unanimous that it's at least good if not great. And they're right

And some people on these forums will try to get you to believe RE6 is good... you can't trust them

When there are like 20 posters left on this dead website, a “massive shift in public opinion” is when you get like 3 people to post the same thing in a row. Anyway they’re wrong, RE8 is good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

8 was better than 7 but I'd be happy if they never went back to first person RE

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I liked 8 but didn't like its Mercenaries mode. Felt less like the cool horde attack stuff from earlier games and more just like an optimization puzzle that got boring really quickly.

I also think the main game could've done with a different structure rather than just having you go through each leader like they're a mega man level. The doll lady gets like five minutes of screentime when she could've been a threat that pervaded numerous parts of the game. Heisenberg was a neat concept but his area was just too long and bland. Fish boy should've been cut entirely. Dimitrescu could've been more interesting as a de facto ruler of the town in her castle that had more of a buildup rather than a single castle level then a boss fight.

Still liked the game enough to play it through a few times, but yeah I always wonder why they picked the simplest, easiest level structure rather than one that could've been more interesting.

Sakurazuka posted:

8 was better than 7 but I'd be happy if they never went back to first person RE

Yeah bring back third person for the next one imo

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Five wasn't the best RE game but it is one of the best co-op games i've played.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

dogstile posted:

Five wasn't the best RE game but it is one of the best co-op games i've played.

My friend and I started the game one evening when it came out and basically played it until 4 in the morning when we finished it. Undeniably fun as a coop game, despite its...problematic elements.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Re6 is better than 7.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Re6 is better than 7.

:mods:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

he's right

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Re6 is better than 7.

Fair. Stern, but fair.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
8 gets graded on a bit of a curve because it was basically collecting the shattered pieces of the original design when covid struck.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

this is residents evil 8, not final fantasy 7 remake

pedrovay2003 posted:

What did you think of RE8 compared to RE7? I think I'm in the minority here, but I liked RE7 more. The Family was just such a memorable cast of characters for me (and the End of Zoe DLC was so much fun that I don't even have words to describe it).

the weird shifts from Dracula Horror to industrial machine hell absolutely did not work for me. but i really liked the castle level. nothing anywhere near as fun as End of Zoe though

also why did Chris need to be such a dick. he could've just said something. idiot behavior

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
RE7: loves calling young girls "loving bitches", turns into an incredibly lovely version of FEAR a few hours in

RE6: has Leon, whose story consists entirely of him crashing progressively larger vehicles

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Gaius Marius posted:

Calling Village one of the worst is crazy. Even if you don't like it it's not a chore to play the way CV, Zero, and 6 are

Is Code Veronica not good? I never played it, but I always thought it was supposed to be great or something.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Is Code Veronica not good? I never played it, but I always thought it was supposed to be great or something.

It was great when I played it for the first time a couple years ago!

.... With cheats. Game is brutally difficult and can lock you out if you run out of ammo.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I have been playing 'That's not my neighbor' recently, and while it's fairly basic at the moment, I think it has some potential.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This night the music of the spheres is somehow disarranged;
with dissonant surprise one star untunes the sky, sets heaven ajar:
the universe is changed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Medullah posted:

It was great when I played it for the first time a couple years ago!

.... With cheats. Game is brutally difficult and can lock you out if you run out of ammo.

This is true of all the tank control games it's just that CV is three times longer than the others if you gently caress up too much and have to start again.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Orb Crabmelt posted:

cv is funny but it's like two entire classic resident evil games stapled together in terms of length which makes it get really exhausting and its puzzle design is bad

it's also a game that kind of demands you do some knife-only bullshit with regular zombies to conserve ammo. it is way easier to knife them than in some of the other games but, it's not something you'd think to do given how dangerous that usually is

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 6, 2024

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

RE7: loves calling young girls "loving bitches", turns into an incredibly lovely version of FEAR a few hours in

RE6: has Leon, whose story consists entirely of him crashing progressively larger vehicles

RE6: please gloss over the entire plot is driven by one man's obsession with Ada Wong refusing to sleep with him because he's a creep. Also there's a weird Chris Redfield look alike who suffers through the same character arc Chris went through in the previous game. Oh oh people loved Nemesis, let's make not-Nemesis but instead of chasing STARS it chases Albert Wesker's son!

I didn't hate my time with RE6 or regret playing it entirely, but man it is just a massive mess of design and direction. And the combat is so poorly taught...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
re7: you can shoot mold people with incredibly weak feeling guns or experience the worst first person melee combat ive seen in years that makes you wish you were playing Condemned 2: Bloodshot instead

re6: leon does wrestling moves on zombies

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CV is the only game where I have done the hardest post game unlockable stuff just because the knife is that good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it is weird to me how much re7 and 8 hold utter contempt for evelyn. why does the mold girl who was being emotionally manipulated by ethan's weird bioterrorist wife have to be pure evil but the girl who's half wesker gets to live in a nice house with her adoptive family

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The Colonel posted:

it is weird to me how much re7 and 8 hold utter contempt for evelyn. why does the mold girl who was being emotionally manipulated by ethan's weird bioterrorist wife have to be pure evil but the girl who's half wesker gets to live in a nice house with her adoptive family

I mean, Evelyn was literally created as a bioweapon, it's not like she was a little girl who was somehow manipulated into being the big bad, she was created to kill.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Medullah posted:

I mean, Evelyn was literally created as a bioweapon, it's not like she was a little girl who was somehow manipulated into being the big bad, she was created to kill.

so was shadow the hedgehog but nobody calls him a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I do