Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
So, the other project we had someone look at was de-mossing the roof. We're in Seattle, so it's moist and there's a lot of moss. It hasn't been cleaned off in awhile, as far as I can tell. We got two quotes, one from Hustle Harry, and one from Low-Key Larry. In this case, it's the opposite of the mold removal, where we're inclined to go with the more expensive option, as we liked the guy more, and he offers an annual service to keep the mold at bay (maybe this is a total ripoff, though).

We'll start with Hustle Harry (the one we liked more):

quote:

Great meeting you yesterday, thanks for being so flexible and having me over! Your quote is attached along with some nice referrals from current customers of ours, in case that is helpful.

Plenty of moss up there (as you'll see in the photos linked in your quote and also below for easy reference), but the good news is that the roof is still in good shape underneath it all. The main reason I like to assess in person is to make sure there are no soft spots and that everything is still well intact. Our job is to mindfully execute the removal of the moss while maintaining the integrity of your roof. I've worked for other companies many years ago prior to starting my own, and can say with confidence that nobody does a better job than us.

With that said, there was one side of your roof on the upper tier (pictured, with little to no moss and the motorhome in the background) that was rather soft and tender to walk on. Wondering if maybe that was an add-on, or something? Anyway, the roof is still well intact and it does not affect the work I'll do in any way since there is not really anything to clean on that portion... Just something worth noting and that I found a bit odd since the rest of the roof had no give at all.

I also added a bid for exterior gutter washing, but let me be clear that this has exactly zero impact on gutter functionality and strictly serves aesthetic purposes. You might not need or want this and that's totally fine, but it’s there if you do.

Regarding my post-roof cleaning preventative moss treatment applications... I do recommend having these done annually. If these are kept up with, you'll never need another deep clean again! My treatments guarantee no new moss growth for at least a year.

I obviously can't clean your gutter interiors with the covers on, which is why that is marks as "N/A." And the detached unit roof is a metal roof that needs no attention, but I took a photo for you anyway in case it's useful for any reason.

I'm currently booked 4-6 weeks out, but if there’s a specific deadline you need to hit then let me know and I’ll do my best to accommodate. This time of year can get tricky with weather, I prefer dryer days that are at least 45 degrees for a job like this so everything can thaw out and be cleaned properly... But I never like to leave my customers hanging for months on end! It's usually a matter of weeks from quote to completion.

No need for anyone to be home while we are there working (though perfectly fine if you are!), all we'll need are working hose spigots for our hoses and for you to make sure all the windows are closed so no debris or water seeps in your home as we clean off your roof.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns, always glad to accommodate as I'm able. We’d love to be the ones to make your roof sparkle like new again! Thanks a bunch, talk soon.

Photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ft8nrcQpnCpcrsMXA

Low-Key Larry sent us the following:

quote:

Thank you for filling out our online form. We have been cleaning and treating roofs for more than 30 years and we take pride in our good work. We are licensed, bonded, and fully insured to work for you.

We are against pressure washing composite roofs. We don’t want to blast the granule from your roof or cause any leaking within your home. So instead, we use brushes and start at the peak of the roof, moving in a downward motion. We are careful not to lift the shingles or take too much granule. Once we have removed the largest pieces of moss, pine needles and debris, we blow it off. We are careful not to over-scrub your roof and cause damage. We clean out the inside of the gutters and check the downspouts to be certain they are running freely or if you have gutter guards we’ll just blow and sweep them off so that they can operate correctly. We do not take gutter guards off and put them back in place. We re-attach any gutter that is coming loose (if the hardware isn’t damaged or the fascia board rotting.) We do a reasonable clean-up, wash exterior skylights and finally lay down a zinc sulfate chemical treatment. It is a white, powdery substance that sticks to the roof surface. It looks a little like snow. Once it rains, it will dissolve into the roof. It will change the pH level of the roof and kill off the smaller pieces of moss left behind and prevent the rapid re-growth. For a home of your size, we charge $750.00, the cost of any needed saftey anchor point(s), plus sales tax.

Having cleaned roofs this long, we do realize that moss doesn’t generally grow all over the entire roof. Your roof may have it at the ends of shingles, on areas that are shaded, beneath trees or mostly on the northern side. We take this into account when we give our estimates and do not consider this to mean it’s a partial job or that the fee should be cut in half.

You may also want to consider exterior gutter whitening. It really cleans up the gutters and freshens up the outside of the home! We spray the exterior of the gutters with a Green detergent (Seattle Pump,) scrub them with a soft brush, allow it to sit to lighten any stains as much as possible and then do a rinse down with a garden hose. For this service, we would charge $150, plus tax.

For the driveway / any solid surfaces, we also offer pressure washing. Normally most driveways / walkways take 2-3 hours of work which is a minimum service charge of $300 plus tax. If your hard surface is very large or challenging to clean it may be slightly higher.

If you have questions or would like to get on our schedule, feel free to reply to this e-mail.

Like I said, inclined to go with Hustle Harry, and subscribe to his annual service; $375 a year to not have to go on the roof seems pretty reasonable to me, but maybe it's easier than it seems, and they're both trying to rip my ignorant rear end off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is best practice for tree house construction. I have two, soon to be three nephews under six and a pair of mature redwoods 10' apart begging for a rope bridge between them. Seems like it would get at least moderate use

Like everything else on Google, searching an SEO optimized term like "tree house brackets" yields an unflinching morass of poo poo SEO results

I looked into this about 10 years ago and some guys were selling custom parts for this but looks like you can even buy stuff on Amazon these days

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
You're looking for "tree house artificial limbs"-- long odd custom bolts that screw into the tree to a specific depth based on the weight requirements, then have a mounting system with movement for the base structural elements of the treehouse itself.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hadlock posted:

What is best practice for tree house construction. I have two, soon to be three nephews under six and a pair of mature redwoods 10' apart begging for a rope bridge between them. Seems like it would get at least moderate use

Like everything else on Google, searching an SEO optimized term like "tree house brackets" yields an unflinching morass of poo poo SEO results

I looked into this about 10 years ago and some guys were selling custom parts for this but looks like you can even buy stuff on Amazon these days

If you aren't getting a prebuilt structure, step one is to confirm your homeowners liability limits and pick up an umbrella policy. Even if the kids' parents are not at all interested in blame if something bad happens their health insurance won't hesitate to try and recover.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ham Equity posted:

The $7950 from High Pressure includes a ~$1500 discount if we get back to them in the next couple of days (meaning it's $9500 if we don't get back to them in the next couple of days), which (maybe wrongfully) was a red flag to me,

This is absolutely a red flag and is a big sign that they know their prices aren't competitive. They want you not getting other quotes and finding out what the real cost of the project is.

Any idea if they're sub-contracting the work out?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, as long as Chill Dudes is a licensed and bonded company, I would go with them. I have had some version of Chill Dudes do my roof, gutters, pest control etc. Turns out all of them are also now the most recommended in our area because of their pricing and work which is better than high pressure jerks.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Paper Tiger posted:

Homeowners insurance doesn't know about the knob and tube yet.

The second house on which my fiancée bid and accepted turned up k&t all over, and that scuttled the whole deal. Why? Her parents are career realtors and have seen many a bad thing, but people lying about wiring, their insurance finding out and giving them 30 days to remediate it or have their mortgage cancelled is one that stood out to them, and dissuaded us from an otherwise lovely old house.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Always remember these magic words when dealing with high pressure sales dickheads: "Thank you for your quote, we will be in touch after we get some others."

And, if they try to argue "please leave my house, now."

Put another way:

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I can't really see the condition of your gutters from the pictures, but that seems like a lot of money just to wash them?

FWIW we had our whole house (including gutters, not including roof) pressure washed last year for $325. Not in as expensive an area as Seattle, but not in a super LCOL one either.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ham Equity, you need to get more quotes. Three is the absolute minimum required, imho.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Y'all make constantly feel like a huge loving weirdo, and you're all goons to begin with, which... well, that's a bit worrying.

Have no fear, there are all kinds of huge loving weirdos here!

GlyphGryph posted:

Finding good infornation is not exactly quick and easy anymore.

Good news, we have a whole subforum of DIY huge loving weirdos many of whom are the same cast and crew as here, but some others who don't wandering into BFC much. There are some dedicated trade threads as well as people (yes plural) "rebuilding their home while living in it." I try not to actively poach people over, but there are threads that can help on a lot of nuanced stuff there. If the K&T people above want to get info there is a thread for that as well.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=210

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Changing the hinges to the other side or getting a split door would definitely be an inprovement, I think No way to make it swing out without replacing the doorframe though.

And Im pretty sure every part of this house is an addition

BFC > Homeowners: every part of this house is an addition

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

bloody ghost titty posted:

The second house on which my fiancée bid and accepted turned up k&t all over, and that scuttled the whole deal. Why? Her parents are career realtors and have seen many a bad thing, but people lying about wiring, their insurance finding out and giving them 30 days to remediate it or have their mortgage cancelled is one that stood out to them, and dissuaded us from an otherwise lovely old house.

For the record (and I'm not saying that you're accusing me specifically of this), we have not lied to our insurance company about the wiring. I understand the severity of giving false information to insurance. The insurance company does not know about the knob and tube because they haven't asked anything about wiring, much less knob and tube specifically. We will answer truthfully and completely if and when they ask.

I got quotes from three insurance companies, only one of them asked about wiring or knob and tube, and I truthfully answered them. The other two didn't ask about knob and tube, or about wiring in general, and given the variety and depth of questions they *did* ask about things like the age of the house, the foundation, and the roof, my impression is that it was because it wasn't so material to their underwriting that it would affect their decision to offer coverage.

I understand that this could change when they send an adjuster out to look at the house. But it does seem like some insurance companies are still covering houses with active knob and tube.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is absolutely a red flag and is a big sign that they know their prices aren't competitive. They want you not getting other quotes and finding out what the real cost of the project is.

Any idea if they're sub-contracting the work out?

This makes me feel better; I thought maybe this is one of those times that everyone is fine with something that seems hosed up to me.

Their quote doesn't explicitly call out them using subcontractors, but it doesn't say they won't, either; there is some boilerplate in it regarding leans that mentions them:

quote:

This contractor is registered with the state of Washington, registration no ########, and has posted with the state a bond or deposit of $12,000.00 for the purpose of satisfying claims against the contractor for breach of contract including negligent or improper work in the conduct of the contractor's business. The expiration date of this contractor's registration is mm/dd/yyyy.
THIS BOND OR DEPOSIT MIGHT NOT BE SUFFICIENT TO COVER A CLAIM THAT MIGHT ARISE FROM THE WORK DONE UNDER YOUR CONTRACT.
This bond or deposit is not for your exclusive use because it covers all work performed by this contractor. The bond or deposit is intended to pay valid claims up to $12,000 that you and other customers, suppliers, subcontractors, or taxing authorities may have.
FOR GREATER PROTECTION YOU MAY WITHHOLD A PERCENTAGE OF YOUR CONTRACT.
You may withhold a contractually defined percentage of your construction contract as retainage for a stated period of time to provide protection to you and help insure that your project will be completed as required by your contract.
YOUR PROPERTY MAY BE LIENED.
If a supplier of materials used in your construction project or an employee or subcontractor of your contractor or subcontractors is not paid, your property may be liened to force payment and you could pay twice for the same work.
FOR ADDITIONAL PROTECTION, YOU MAY REQUEST THE CONTRACTOR TO PROVIDE YOU WITH ORIGINAL "LIEN RELEASE" DOCUMENTS FROM EACH SUPPLIER OR SUBCONTRACTOR ON YOUR PROJECT.
The contractor is required to provide you with further information about lien release documents if you request it. General information is also available from the state Department of Labor and Industries.
I have received a copy of this disclosure statement.
Confirmation of this estimate also confirms that I have read this and agree to all of the above here.

swickles posted:

Yeah, as long as Chill Dudes is a licensed and bonded company, I would go with them. I have had some version of Chill Dudes do my roof, gutters, pest control etc. Turns out all of them are also now the most recommended in our area because of their pricing and work which is better than high pressure jerks.
:hmmyes:

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I can't really see the condition of your gutters from the pictures, but that seems like a lot of money just to wash them?

FWIW we had our whole house (including gutters, not including roof) pressure washed last year for $325. Not in as expensive an area as Seattle, but not in a super LCOL one either.
Yeah, the other place only charged $150 for that, but we weren't going to have it done, anyhow, so we weren't particularly worried about it. Pressure washing the exterior of a house seems like it might be bad for it, is it not?

Sirotan posted:

Ham Equity, you need to get more quotes. Three is the absolute minimum required, imho.
Blecchhh, I really don't want to, though. :effort:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ham Equity posted:

This makes me feel better; I thought maybe this is one of those times that everyone is fine with something that seems hosed up to me.

Their quote doesn't explicitly call out them using subcontractors, but it doesn't say they won't, either; there is some boilerplate in it regarding leans that mentions them:

:hmmyes:

Yeah, the other place only charged $150 for that, but we weren't going to have it done, anyhow, so we weren't particularly worried about it. Pressure washing the exterior of a house seems like it might be bad for it, is it not?

Generally, house washing is done with a pressure cleaner, but on a much lower setting than you would do with wood or a paved surface. Unless of course you have a stone or brick facade. Point is, unless its just a neighbor kid doing it, they tend to know what setting to use on what material.

One thing I am having trouble finding is someone to redo/expand my driveway. Right now its just a modified stone surface with some lovely, not meant for driveway stone that the previous owner put down. There is basically a spot for one car only which is framed out in wood to keep the grass at bay. I want to take out the wood, level the area (which is at a decent grade) and make it so I can park a couple cars. Would also probably want to get the retaining wall redone. I have had some people that do landscape/hardscape out and quotes are all over the place. Cheapest is 13k and highest is in the mid 20's. I tried calling an excavating company but they only do commercial. I am like this close to renting some power equipment and taking a week to do it myself.

swickles fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 6, 2024

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ham Equity posted:

Considering the amount of agonizing you are putting into these decisions, getting a third quote would be the prudent thing to do here and in the future imho. If this was a <$1000 job two is probably fine, but for this amount of cash you really want to have as much information as possible to make an informed decision.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Ham Equity posted:

So, the other project we had someone look at was de-mossing the roof. We're in Seattle, so it's moist and there's a lot of moss. It hasn't been cleaned off in awhile, as far as I can tell. We got two quotes, one from Hustle Harry, and one from Low-Key Larry. In this case, it's the opposite of the mold removal, where we're inclined to go with the more expensive option, as we liked the guy more, and he offers an annual service to keep the mold at bay (maybe this is a total ripoff, though).

Like I said, inclined to go with Hustle Harry, and subscribe to his annual service; $375 a year to not have to go on the roof seems pretty reasonable to me, but maybe it's easier than it seems, and they're both trying to rip my ignorant rear end off.

FWIW, I feel like any kind of moss removal project that does not include the installation of zinc strips is most likely there to sell their repeat business (i.e., ripping your ignorant rear end off). There are some caveats here of course, "loving with an old roof" is really high on the list of Things I Wouldn't Do As A Contractor because of the insane liability if you accidentally cause a leak, and also these moss contractors need to eat too, so if you or other people want to pay them the $375 a year moss bill then I can't fault the business model. But if your roof is reasonably new (say less than 10 years, which from the photos I'd say maybe?), you might even be able to get someone to "just" install the zinc strips and that would take care of your problem gradually. This guy did just that and it looks like it cleared up his moss problem pretty neatly without any further treatment.

Of course you will find plenty of sites telling you that zinc strips are a bad idea but they seem to be mostly by moss treatment companies so lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Paper Tiger posted:

For the record (and I'm not saying that you're accusing me specifically of this), we have not lied to our insurance company about the wiring. I understand the severity of giving false information to insurance. The insurance company does not know about the knob and tube because they haven't asked anything about wiring, much less knob and tube specifically. We will answer truthfully and completely if and when they ask.

I got quotes from three insurance companies, only one of them asked about wiring or knob and tube, and I truthfully answered them. The other two didn't ask about knob and tube, or about wiring in general, and given the variety and depth of questions they *did* ask about things like the age of the house, the foundation, and the roof, my impression is that it was because it wasn't so material to their underwriting that it would affect their decision to offer coverage.

I understand that this could change when they send an adjuster out to look at the house. But it does seem like some insurance companies are still covering houses with active knob and tube.

You and your lawyer need to read any policy documents carefully. Plenty of insurance agents would be happy to have you pay premiums for years and years on a policy where "K&T homeowners: get hosed" is in the exclusions.

Not asking is not the same as covering

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The problem with moss on roofs is that if you get too much of it in the wrong places, it retains water that can seep under the tiles, right?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

QuarkJets posted:

You and your lawyer need to read any policy documents carefully. Plenty of insurance agents would be happy to have you pay premiums for years and years on a policy where "K&T homeowners: get hosed" is in the exclusions.

Not asking is not the same as covering

Heard. We have a few electricians coming in over the next few days to take a look, so whatever happens we won't be caught flatfooted.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

The best practice is to throw your homeowner's insurance a going-away party.

>>but looks like you can even buy stuff on Amazon these days

And definitely don't buy those.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

trevorreznik posted:

Seeing you get a sale like this makes me worry I did actually screw up a few years ago getting siding/windows. We got two quotes in 2021, then two more quotes from the same two companies in 2022 that were extremely hard sales. I was worried about inflation at that point and when the quotes came in the same (all 4 were within a few grand of each other on ~50k total) I was ready to pull the trigger. I probably should have shopped around more but it's such an awful, predatory system where it was very hard to get anyone to show up, then the minute they do it's buy now for big discounts!!

Our next big project is the 4 bay windows we didn't replace when replacing every other window in the house. All 4 bays are sagging slightly and the side bay windows have to be pushed closed after being opened due to being out of flush, so I don't even know where to start since it seems like they need to be jacked up somehow.

And we need a complete electric overhaul so reading all the quotes about that are interesting. I'm pretty concerned with making sure things are code, and my uncle (a licensed electrician 3 hours south) told me to just call the local union and ask for referrals directly from them. It might end up being more expensive but hopefully I won't have to deal with high pressure sales.

My wife and I are in agreement that high pressure sales people get nothing from us. The sales guy for the siding we hired was pretty chill, more then willing to talk to us about stuff but not pressuring us. In comparison, the other quote we got the guy was super high pressure, didn't want to leave... one of our neighbors told us later he took a piss in our bushes.

We just had the same thing with roofers - we called the local place that does work all over town, they gave us a quote after like 10m, the guy clearly knew wtf he was talking about. We called some other place to get a quote, he was here for over an hour, decided to for some reason ask us if we were having children??? He spent a bunch of time going over poo poo I don't care about.

If anyone goes out to their car and says "I need to call my boss" that's an immediate red flag. Come back to me with a quote later? Sure, I get it. The whole "let me call someone else" is 100% someone I don't want to deal with.

Also, we've got a pretty simple house, 1 story, 10 windows, front door and sliding door.

PainterofCrap posted:

Goddamn I want one of those Retro doors; their current catalog no longer shows them.

I can install it; the unit I installed in 2009 & getting blasted & the sidelight seals have let go.

e: found it

They are loving sick. My only suggestion is if you do get one look into something to protect from UV - I'm probably going to clay bar + treat ours with some sort of car ceramic coating (it gets full sun in the afternoon and isn't as shiny as it was initially)

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

bloody ghost titty posted:

When I bought my place, I had a very thorough (and expensive) home inspection. He removed switch plate covers and peeked around at wiring. His report says ‘updated wiring, romex’ blah blah something.

The first time I went to change a switch or something, I saw the romex ‘upgrade’ was 6” of romex from the back of the switch and out the back of the box. Outside the box is where it was wire-nutted to original K&T. This was down throughout the house.

That’s not counting the speaker wire as electric runs the PO had done in the kitchen and basement bath.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Jesus Christ.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?

mr.belowaverage posted:

That’s not counting the speaker wire as electric runs the PO had done in the kitchen and basement bath.
For low voltage wiring, right? Right?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

The problem with moss on roofs is that if you get too much of it in the wrong places, it retains water that can seep under the tiles, right?

Yeah, it can basically act like a sponge. Worse, it grows in the cracks between the shingles, so it can actually lift the edges of the shingles and encourage more moisture to get in there. It can also prevent other debris (leaves etc) from coming off the roof by providing a surface for them to collect on, which in turn leads to them decomposing and providing more dirt for more moss etc. It can also clog up your gutters and attract animals to your roof that you'd rather not spend all their time there. If it's left there long enough it can also encourage decomposition of the roof itself, in part because poo poo stays damp all the time.

It's not good.

That said, there is a huge loving difference between a little moss on a few tiles that you can just clear off with a push broom yourself and a thick loving mat that's basically soil over your roof shingles.

If you've got it to the point where people need to climb up there with scraping tools and remove a multi-inch thick mat from your roof yeah, get pros out and probably have your roof inspected for damage after.

If it's just a bit growing in the cracks you can take care of it yourself. Spray the roof down with a hose to get it damp, and then crawl up there with a spray can full of 50/50 water and bleach. Hose everything down with that really well and let it sit for an hour or so. Then go back up and wash the roof off. Most of the now-dead moss will just come off with the spray attachment on the hose (not powerwasher) and anything that doesn't can be manually pulled out by hand or with a brush.

While you're up there check for damaged tiles and spots where the moss was growing up under them, because you're probably going to need to do a repair there.

I don't get why everyone in here is so blase about moss on their roofs. It's not the end of the world if you've got a bit, but it's 100% a maintenance item that you need to stay on top of if you live someplace like the PacNW where moss growing in cracks is just a thing that's going to happen.

That said, it's also the sort of thing that is well within the ability of a typical homeowner to take care of themselves, especially at the level of preventing serious growth. Think of it like washing and staining a deck: if you stay on top of that poo poo and take care of it annually, it's going to stay good for a long time. If you let it go for years on end you're going to wake up one morning to find that poo poo's rotted.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
On the other hand, I can also completely understand even someone who is otherwise handy not wanting to do roof work, since it's actually really damned dangerous even if its not complicated or difficult.

Also, I went outside to take a picture of what is definitely Too Much Moss.

Luckily this is not my house, it's just the shed outside and the roof is definitely not the first part that's gonna fail lol. I'm already planning on replacing it.

That mossy roof in the back left is also not my house, but that one I do actually care about (it's the carport) but get up there is actually super loving terrifying lol, I gotta try to clean it off this summer though.

I also need to finish preparing the area I'm relocating it to, I don't want to waste all that pretty moss.

Cyrano4747 posted:

That said, it's also the sort of thing that is well within the ability of a typical homeowner to take care of themselves, especially at the level of preventing serious growth. Think of it like washing and staining a deck: if you stay on top of that poo poo and take care of it annually, it's going to stay good for a long time. If you let it go for years on end you're going to wake up one morning to find that poo poo's rotted.

poo poo, I never even thought about the fact that I'll have to maintain this debt.

Is there somewhere that has just, a comprehensive list of all the house poo poo you might have to maintain? I have a feeling there's a ton of stuff I'm missing.

H110Hawk posted:

Have no fear, there are all kinds of huge loving weirdos here!

Good news, we have a whole subforum of DIY huge loving weirdos many of whom are the same cast and crew as here, but some others who don't wandering into BFC much. There are some dedicated trade threads as well as people (yes plural) "rebuilding their home while living in it." I try not to actively poach people over, but there are threads that can help on a lot of nuanced stuff there. If the K&T people above want to get info there is a thread for that as well.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=210

Just for you I posted my latest dumb poo poo in that thread and made myself look like an idiot their instead. Edit: They definitely think I'm a stupid weirdo now, mission accomplished?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 7, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

poo poo, I never even thought about the fact that I'll have to maintain this debt.

This is the most perfect autocorrect error ever holy lol

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
If you don't want that moss give it to me.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

If you don't want that moss give it to me.

Moss is awesome. It's great on logs, between rocks edging your garden, tons of places.

It sucks on walkways (because it can be slippery as gently caress) and on roofs (because roof repairs are expensive and water inside the house more so)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I listened to a guy talk about how difficult a "moss lawn" is at a home show a few weeks ago, and what I'm learning from that, and then this conversation is that moss does whatever the hell it wants.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Moss is super hard to grow in conditions where it does badly, and very difficult to get not to grow if you live in conditions where they do. Unfortunately for most people they want it to grow exclusively in the first situation and never in the second.

My ex's father's house would basically start reverting to its natural state of "4 inch deep moss lawn" the moment you started neglecting it, and eventually he gave up and just declared that was it how it was supposed to be. I loved walking at that springy as gently caress carpet after a couple years, just super satisfying, like a natural mattress except it was the whole yard.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?

GlyphGryph posted:

My ex's father's house would basically start reverting to its natural state of "4 inch deep moss lawn" the moment you started neglecting it
Aw poo poo, my brick patio does the same since the Great Lakes have become a temperate rain forest. I used to be diligent about pressure washing it out and putting in new polymeric sand, but I've just sort of given up. Maybe since spring started in February I'll give it another shot this year.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Moss on walkways is easy to remove, but if it's on dirt just leave it alone imo moss looks cool

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I love moss, but my lawn gets a lot of traffic and moss tears up and gets thrown around super easily so I try to limit it to the areas I dont go a lot so I dont have to spend as much time putting it back, hah. Absolutely beautiful but not very practical for anywhere that you actually interact with

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
I've gotten 5 estimates for tree trimming, all have the required insurance. I'm not getting Chuck and a truck to come and trim branches that are over my roof. The prices vary wildly, though, and reviews are scarce for tree trimming in this area. The job is to trim 3 pecan trees with branches overhanging the roof, 1 pecan tree that needs to be cleaned up, 1 stump removed & grinded, 1 stump grinded.

$3800: This company is the largest in the area, uses the local university branding, does a walk around estimate. Charges $75 for an arborist to come and talk to you for an hour if you don't like the walkaround. 4.6 with 51 reviews
$2500: Guy walked around my property with me, described what limbs to cut and what not to. Sounded like he knew what he was talking about. $2000 for the trees, $500 for the stumps. 4.9 average for 17 reviews.
$1965: The estimate was done by a certified arborist, determined what needed to be done by my descriptions. Three 5 star reviews, one 1 star review.
$800: I walked around describing what I wanted trimmed and the guy was very receptive. He also pointed out that my catalpa tree was likely 80% dead and that it needed to be removed (the previous residents crowned it, other estimators mentioned this). He also told me to cut the chicken wire that was wound around another pecan tree. He quoted $800 for the entire job including removing the dead tree. He told me he's been doing this as a side job for years and just started doing it full-time this year. Talked about his equipment, 150 lbs tension robes, renting a lift if he needs to, he has a crew, etc. Said some companies don't get insured or let theirs lapse, his premium was $1800/year. Lamented figuring out the online advertising game. Four 5 star reviews (most recent was Jan 2024), one 1 star review in 2012.
$725: She listened to my description of what needed to be done and assessed that it was less than a half day's work. Told me that some companies want you to pay for their kids' college. Told me her insurance was $2 mill comprehensive. When I mentioned taking out the tree, she said $1925 for the trimming and taking out the tree. One hundred and fifty reviews to average 4.9 stars.

Thoughts? The dead tree is far enough away that if it lands on anything it's going to be grass or concrete. Obviously, you don't want to skimp on tree trimming services or removal services. I guess I'm questioning the really good deal of $800 to trim everything and take the tree out, unless he needs word of mouth to help expand his business.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Struensee posted:

Jesus Christ.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'd try out the $800 guy if you can verify that he's insured. Are these ratings from BBB or somewhere else? Check their listings with the BBB too, if you haven't.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also check out Google Reviews and Yelp. That was the best places for "no really this guy honestly screwed me the gently caress over" info when I was compiling my case against the HVAC company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I am in a similar situation right now and need to get off my rear end for a 3rd quote. First guy I called made a couple bigoted/racist comments and also offered to remove a city tree for me in an illegal and dangerous way! He was cheaper than the well known company the local university always uses though, lol. 88 reviews on Google averaging 4.9 stars.

I'd go with the $725 quote honestly, the $800 quote dude complaining about how bad he is at business kinda weirds me out.