Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

zoux posted:

It sucks that Lee and Porter split the progressive vote and handed it to Schiff.

This is awful analysis considering that Schiff so far has almost half a million more votes than Lee and Porter combined. Lee and Porter together don’t even match the Republican.

Voters preferred Schiff to either Lee or Porter it seems. Lesson number five million or so on how the Internet is not real life.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
First the centrist dems drop out to screw over Bernie, now they don't even split the vote to begin with! :argh:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Go go…leftist Voltron?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How long until he starts suggesting Israel just nukes Gaza off the map and doesn't know (well, okay, doesn't care is more accurate) how terrible a suggestion that is for Israel.

"Israel needs to use a final solution, people, we love our final solutions. They have bombs, nuclear bombs, some of the best nuclear bombs in the world. They come to me with tears in their eyes about how much they want to use the bombs, but they can't because Biden says no. When I'm in charge, they'll have all the nuclear bombs they want. We'll just bomb Hamas back to the stone age, even further than that. Gaza will be so smooth you could use it as a parking lot when we're done with it."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean I figured Schiff would win because he is just a more well known Dem, and that proved to be correct

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

So basically this whole "vote uncommitted" movement remains a nothingburger.

No, not really, considering how Biden needs the upper Midwest to win and it quite clearly demonstrates how angry people here are at him.

And as regards Schiff, it sucks that yet another AIPAC supported politician is rising in the ranks of the Democratic Party.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 6, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Maybe worth noting though that the 2012 MA Democratic Primary was much lower turnout (a little under 150 thousand voters as opposed to over 550 thousand)

The raw vote total doesn't work if you are trying to measure the relative difference between two different events. That would imply that Biden is roughly 5x more popular than Obama was because his raw vote total was so much higher.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Nucleic Acids posted:

No, not really, considering how Biden needs the upper Midwest to win and it quite clearly demonstrates how angry people here are at him.

If you’re talking about the high uncommitted percentage in MN, there is essentially a 0% chance he loses this state

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Kalit posted:

If you’re talking about the high uncommitted percentage in MN, there is essentially a 0% chance he loses this state

I wouldn’t wanna take that bet considering how consistently he’s been trailing in key state polls for a while now.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nucleic Acids posted:

I wouldn’t wanna take that bet considering how consistently he’s been trailing in key state polls for a while now.

Those polls that still are meaningless but you bring them up all the time regardless?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1765396713051730112

I saw a lot of speculation that McConnell was withdrawing from leadership because he was not going to endorse Trump, but these people don't know ball.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Those polls that still are meaningless but you bring them up all the time regardless?

I mean, they really aren’t meaningless and I don’t know people expect will happen that will make them improve.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Nucleic Acids posted:

I mean, they really aren’t meaningless and I don’t know people expect will happen that will make them improve.

I think there's also an issue about how the polls seem to be consistently (and rather greatly) overstating the level of GOP and Trump popularity. I find it all confusing.

At the same time, people would feel better and the "vibes" would be better if Biden found a way to make there look like there was progress with the Israel/Palestine issue and other issues. I agree that as it stands, the polls are troubling and the Biden Administration seem to be doing way more gambling than I would like about underlying events panning out his way.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Polls don't have any predictive effect this far out and are just random noise at this point in an election. This has been pointed out many times.

You might as well being reading auguries for all the meaning it has.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Polls don't have any predictive effect this far out and are just random noise at this point in an election. This has been pointed out many times.

You might as well being reading auguries for all the meaning it has.

Biden’s age and cognitive status are not going to become less of an issue as time goes on. He is such a committed Zionist there is no reason to believe he will ever change course on the genocide in Gaza. His embracing of right wing policies on migration will not win him a single vote away from Donald Trump.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Maybe this is all copium before Trump proves a lot of people on SA wrong again, but here's a short and recent piece I found on how hard polling has gotten.

https://www.livemint.com/politics/news/american-pollsters-aren-t-sure-they-have-fixed-the-flaws-of-2020-11709281671702.html

https://www.vox.com/politics/24034416/young-voters-biden-trump-gen-z-polling-israel-gaza-economy-2024-election

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think there's also an issue about how the polls seem to be consistently (and rather greatly) overstating the level of GOP and Trump popularity. I find it all confusing.

At the same time, people would feel better and the "vibes" would be better if Biden found a way to make there look like there was progress with the Israel/Palestine issue and other issues. I agree that as it stands, the polls are troubling and the Biden Administration seem to be doing way more gambling than I would like about underlying events panning out his way.
As this election gets closer I am getting more and more pessimistic about Biden losing. I just don’t get the impression that the WH has any idea that he is not popular and also that he just has a lot of underlying issues that are not going to improve before November. Voters are not going to get over the age thing. People are also pissed about the economy even if inflation has gone down compared to where it was in 2021/2022. They seem to think that Trump’s legal scandals will sink him but he’s always had some degree of that and it didn’t stop him from getting elected the first time. It’s also almost a certainty that he will not get convicted of anything before November with his trials all getting held up. There are a ton of warning signs for Biden and at least right now I see no indication that the WH is going to do anything to change course.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Nucleic Acids posted:

And as regards Schiff, it sucks that yet another AIPAC supported politician is rising in the ranks of the Democratic Party.

You forgot to use the nested parenthesis.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Nucleic Acids posted:

Biden’s age and cognitive status are not going to become less of an issue as time goes on. He is such a committed Zionist there is no reason to believe he will ever change course on the genocide in Gaza. His embracing of right wing policies on migration will not win him a single vote away from Donald Trump.

Wait, what happened to the polls you were arguing for??? Where'd that argument go???? It seems to have retreated into this bailey.

O wait, you don't actually have an argument. You started from this point and are furiously grasping at straws to prove it. Again.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

As this election gets closer I am getting more and more pessimistic about Biden losing. I just don’t get the impression that the WH has any idea that he is not popular and also that he just has a lot of underlying issues that are not going to improve before November. Voters are not going to get over the age thing. People are also pissed about the economy even if inflation has gone down compared to where it was in 2021/2022. They seem to think that Trump’s legal scandals will sink him but he’s always had some degree of that and it didn’t stop him from getting elected the first time. It’s also almost a certainty that he will not get convicted of anything before November with his trials all getting held up. There are a ton of warning signs for Biden and at least right now I see no indication that the WH is going to do anything to change course.

The choices all seem to be lose-lose or impossible without Congress.

I do think polling has gotten really screwed up, but I am not feeling good about the election either. I guess the old rule about "don't trusting the exact numbers, but look at the trends" is still at play.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One way to gauge the accuracy of the polls would be to look at Trump's predicted vote share in polling vs his actual vote share in primaries.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Nucleic Acids posted:

Biden being old, supporting Israel, and proposing immigration control. All things that are different from 2020 in the following ways, where someone will vote for Trump instead:

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

zoux posted:

One way to gauge the accuracy of the polls would be to look at Trump's predicted vote share in polling vs his actual vote share in primaries.

I actually like gauging them based on their unprecedented post-integration support of the GOP by black voters. Or the fact that the poll is 100% "people who both pick up the phone for unlisted numbers and will have a conversation with the anonymous person on the other end".

Xombie fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 6, 2024

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait, what happened to the polls you were arguing for??? Where'd that argument go???? It seems to have retreated into this bailey.

O wait, you don't actually have an argument. You started from this point and are furiously grasping at straws to prove it. Again.

No, those issues (among others) are all directly connected to why his polling is so poor, and there’s no reason to believe they won’t continue to worsen their effect on it.

Xombie posted:

Biden being old, supporting Israel, and proposing immigration control. All things that are different from 2020 in the following ways, where someone will vote for Trump instead:

These were dogs for him in 2020 and things have only worsened for him on all three ever since.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 6, 2024

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

zoux posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to find a piece on that. I guess it might take a while to fully digest what happened on Super Tuesday.

EDIT: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/26/upshot/trump-polling-primaries.html

A recent NY Times piece about Trump underperforming his polls in the primaries.

quote:

That’s because Donald J. Trump has underperformed the polls in each of the first three contests.

In Iowa, the final 538 polling average showed Mr. Trump leading Nikki Haley by 34 points with a 53 percent share. He ultimately beat her by 32 points with 51 percent. (Ron DeSantis took second.)

In New Hampshire, he led by 18 points with 54 percent. In the end, he won by 11 points with 54 percent.

In South Carolina, Mr. Trump led by 28 points with 62 percent. He ultimately won by 20 points with 60 percent.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 6, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zoux posted:

I don’t think this is at all a good indicator. The GOP primary, especially one that is almost uncontested, is not a good judge of a general election.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Nucleic Acids posted:

These were dogs for him in 2020 and things have only worsened for him on all three ever since.

"Biden will lose because of things he that didn't lose him an election the first time around and his opponent is still much worse on" isn't the stellar argument that you are imagining it is.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
Proud of Porter for following in her mentor's footsteps and getting third in her own state's primary.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Xombie posted:

"Biden will lose because of things he that didn't lose him an election the first time around and his opponent is still much worse on" isn't the stellar argument that you are imagining it is.

He is older and at the very least looks and behaves more frail, is actively supporting a genocide, and has embraced a border policy that Donald Trump could not have gotten passed at the height of his popularity and Republican control of Congress.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Nucleic Acids posted:

He is older and at the very least looks and behaves more frail, is actively supporting a genocide, and has embraced a border policy that Donald Trump could not have gotten passed at the height of his popularity and Republican control of Congress.

Saying things over and over doesn't make them true.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
This tweet seems relevant to the current conversation. If polls are this bad at predicting races that are happening right now, how can you place any value on their predicative ability 8 months from now? It seems like an absurd position to take.

https://x.com/DrEricDing/status/1765207143198703628?s=20

Seph fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 6, 2024

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Speaking of Israel, turns out it hasn't been 2 weapon shipments Joe bypassed congress on, it's been over a hundred:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/03/06/us-weapons-israel-gaza/

quote:

The United States has quietly approved and delivered more than 100 separate foreign military sales to Israel since the Gaza war began Oct. 7, amounting to thousands of precision-guided munitions, small diameter bombs, bunker busters, small arms and other lethal aid, U.S. officials told members of Congress in a recent classified briefing.

The triple digit figure, which has not been previously reported, is the latest indication of Washington’s extensive involvement in the polarizing five-month conflict even as top U.S. officials and lawmakers increasingly express deep reservations about Israel’s military tactics in a campaign that has killed more than 30,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s health authorities.

Only two approved foreign military sales to Israel have been made public since the start of conflict: $106 million worth of tank ammunition and $147.5 million of components needed to make 155 mm shells. Those sales invited public scrutiny because the Biden administration bypassed Congress to approve the packages by invoking an emergency authority.

But in the case of the 100 other transactions, known in government-speak as Foreign Military Sales or FMS, the weapons transfers were processed without any public debate because each fell under a specific dollar amount that requires the executive branch to individually notify Congress, according to U.S. officials and lawmakers who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive military matter.

State Department spokesman Matt Miller said the Biden administration has “followed the procedures Congress itself has specified to keep members well-informed and regularly briefs members even when formal notification is not a legal requirement.”

He added that U.S. officials have “engaged Congress” on arms transfers to Israel “more than 200 times” since Hamas launched a cross-border attack into Israel that killed 1,200 people and took more than 240 hostage.

When asked about surge of weapons into Israel, some U.S. lawmakers who sit on committees with oversight of national security said the Biden administration must exercise its leverage over the government of Israel.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nucleic Acids posted:

I haven't gotten the impression the public really cares that much about the border poo poo. Like, it sucks, but the average Dem voter seems to also suck on this one. The people who don't like it don't consider it a priority.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Saying things over and over doesn't make them true.

Except polling on these issues is not going his way.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

McConnell is a single-track mind on capturing the supreme court and now that it's over and he can retire like a lich, I couldn't be less surprised that he privately loves Trump.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Nucleic Acids posted:

Except polling on these issues is not going his way.

The polling that is still meaningless, which has been pointed out to you many times.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

has embraced a border policy that Donald Trump could not have gotten passed at the height of his popularity and Republican control of Congress.

Trump's border policy included a ban on Muslims (that he has to water down due to the courts, not Congress), family separation, and of course the big wall across the entire border that Mexico will pay for.

How is what Biden is advocating for more conservative?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Nucleic Acids posted:

Being old, support for Israel, and right-center border policy. Three things that did not make him lose in 2020, where Trump is demonstrably worse. Repeating yourself and not addressing this fact doesn't make the fact go away.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

The polling that is still meaningless, which has been pointed out to you many times.

To quote another goon, saying things over and over again doesn’t make it true.

Xombie posted:

Being old, support for Israel, and right-center border policy. Three things that did not make him lose in 2020, where Trump is demonstrably worse. Repeating yourself and not addressing this fact doesn't make the fact go away.

None that is argument in favor of what Biden is doing, and as especially regards his open support of genocide, is not helping him, as the Uncommitted votes in Michigan and Minnesota show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Nucleic Acids posted:

To quote another goon, saying things over and over again doesn’t make it true.

Find me a poll that has been predictive this far out.

It's the foundation of your entire argument and you haven't even tried.