Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

still, railgun taking 3 unsafe shots to strip the charger seems fine :shrug:

i always used it in unsafe mode anyways so i dont think id notice too much a difference

I agree that it's fine and probably better for the game. That said, charging unsafe shots lowers your rate of fire by 50-70%, which is pretty significant if you also need an extra shot to strip a charger leg. The time to kill for chargers must be at least double what it was prepatch, and about on par now with the Flamethrower video above, and with what was said about the Flamethrower's ease of use (and buff), it seems like they are much more in line, charger-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Benagain posted:

good news! when there's three of them and you're trying not to light yourself on fire from the splash it gets harder.

Should definitely have a heavy-only flame retardant armor.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

My own personal hot take on the balance changes:

The issue with the breaker/railgun/shield and their related nerfs was they were some of the most "gamey" of the gadgets to use. Breaker and Railgun basically trivialized the whole armor plate and locational damage aspect of higher difficulties simply because it didn't matter where you hit them(for different reasons). Both weapons basically turned bigger threats into "point gun in general direction and fire". Railgun shots to the soft spots are still just as effective, it's just that you can't rip off some snap shots at a charger and call it a day anymore. Breaker will still be good against cleaning up the small guys but less good at hosing down the bigger bugs (and killing them with enough pellets finding gaps in the armor.) Likewise the shield had the same impact by negating some of the risk/reward side of things.

An EAT and focused small arms fire on a charger has ALWAYS been a super fast kill. The RR is great anti-armor. ...The anti-material still sucks though.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

flashman posted:

The super samples are available at 7 which is pretty chill
A decent chunk of my super samples comes from soloing bot* 7s using the Liberator Penetrator and AMR and I don't think I'm particularly super good at this game so my hot take is that I think people will be fine on super samples

*I've successfully done bug 7s solo too but my overall success rate is much lower

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Every single Bug 7+ for me, I recite the holy words "get out of here STALKER"

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Frog Act posted:

Being a gigantic idiot who thinks anyone who disagrees with his enlightened takes is a big whiny baby certainly explains your unwarranted hostility and condescension though. Eat poo poo

You are consistently exactly what you accuse people of being. In every thread, and in games themselves as well.

I've watched you complain about chat toxicity and also tell people to go die irl lmao. You should take a break from communicating and or seek therapy

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Things I've noticed:

Slugger up to 60 rnds.
Slugger & Punisher 30 rnds per environmental ammo box & 60 per supply calldown. (up from 12/24!)
(No one use the Slugger I don't want them to nerf it. It's so loving good.)
Spear picks up 1 missile per environmental ammo box (used to be 0!!!).
End screen sped up considerably.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lord Packinham posted:

I haven’t read the thread in ages but it surprises me people have so much trouble with chargers. I think stalkers are by far the deadliest.

I feel like the people complaining about chargers are like my friends who bring all these weapons to kill weak bugs but no armor piercing and they are surprised it takes them 5 minutes to kill a charger. One EAT to the leg and shoot it and they die in like 10 seconds.

This reads like someone who hasn't had to fight 4-6 chargers at once before

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

jokes posted:

Should definitely have a heavy-only flame retardant armor.

Was thinking this, and arc-trooper equivalent

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

raverrn posted:

Things I've noticed:

Slugger up to 60 rnds.
Slugger & Punisher 30 rnds per environmental ammo box & 60 per supply calldown. (up from 12/24!)
(No one use the Slugger I don't want them to nerf it. It's so loving good.)

YES. This was probably one of my biggest issues with the Spear. It does its job well but pointless when getting ammo was so hard.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

raverrn posted:

:love:

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

The problem is never how to deal with one charger. Playing when they first showed up and no one had anti armor (diff 4?) you could kill a solo charger with just small arms fire given enough time. The problem is when the game throws 3+ at you. You can't expendable AT that many away, and now the best option (double tap leg with railgun, finish with breaker) is much worse. Inexplicably, they've buffed the flamethrower, which could already kill a charger if you focused the leg with like 75% of the tank. I predict that on high difficulty people will be bringing flamethrower + some kind of backpack, probably still the shield because it blocks you from setting yourself on fire, or arc thrower + backpack.

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 6, 2024

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

raverrn posted:

Oh thank loving god. Now if they've fixed the bug where dropping it breaks its ability to lock onto anything, it might actually be viable

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I'm glad that the flamethrower is better, I was setting myself on fire anyways while it was bad or mid or whatever

But if I can do that with 50% increased damage to the enemy that's a huge buff for me

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

explosivo posted:

use your team mates or other strategems bro

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

flashman posted:

use your team mates or other strategems bro

:doh: why didn't I think of using strategems and my teammates :doh:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Charger big hp, high level armor, high speed (so lots of times you can't ignore it and just sprint away unlike other enemies) and ability to CC you (you fly while ragdolling and need to stand up again) is what shapes the Meta, I agree. He isn't just good at one thing, he is good in several fronts.

Four Chargers is more scary than Four Titans or Four Hulks.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I legit like hulks tbh. Good enemy

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Janissary Hop posted:

The problem is never how to deal with one charger. Playing when they first showed up and no one had anti armor (diff 4?) you could kill a solo charger with just small arms fire given enough time. The problem is when the game throws 3+ at you. You can't expendable AT that many away, and now the best option (double tap leg with railgun, finish with breaker) is much worse. Inexplicably, they've buffed the flamethrower, which could already kill a charger if you focused the leg with like 75% of the tank. I predict the meta will be flamethrower + some kind of backpack, probably still the shield because it blocks you from setting yourself on fire, or arc thrower + backpack.

The obvious (kidding, you'd be shocked how few do this) solution is to run/divide and conquer. When 4+ chargers and a big rear end swarm show up the best thing to do is nuke the area from orbit and get out of there. I've got a group I play with that insists on turning every fight into a last stand situation when sometimes just not fighting the horde in a face-to-mandible(?) fight is the better option.

I'm been working with an area denial build lately and Orbital Airburst + Gas + Napalm + EAT + Incendiary grenades is an amazing combo for controlling where and how the fight takes place.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

:munch: I'm excited to see what happens with the game balance and community opinions as the natural initial surge of players ebbs and flows. Its outlook and prospects are looking good, the atmosphere is great, and it has great replay factor due to its PUGability.

Retro42 posted:

The obvious (kidding, you'd be shocked how few do this) solution is to run/divide and conquer. When 4+ chargers and a big rear end swarm show up the best thing to do is nuke the area from orbit and get out of there. I've got a group I play with that insists on turning every fight into a last stand situation when sometimes just not fighting the horde in a face-to-mandible(?) fight is the better option.

I'm been working with an area denial build lately and Orbital Airburst + Gas + Napalm + EAT + Incendiary grenades is an amazing combo for controlling where and how the fight takes place.

Someone was telling me at higher levels that stealth, avoidance, and staying in motion are important strategies to integrate due to how overwhelmed you can get by swarms.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Janissary Hop posted:

The problem is never how to deal with one charger. Playing when they first showed up and no one had anti armor (diff 4?) you could kill a solo charger with just small arms fire given enough time. The problem is when the game throws 3+ at you. You can't expendable AT that many away, and now the best option (double tap leg with railgun, finish with breaker) is much worse. Inexplicably, they've buffed the flamethrower, which could already kill a charger if you focused the leg with like 75% of the tank. I predict that on high difficulty people will be bringing flamethrower + some kind of backpack, probably still the shield because it blocks you from setting yourself on fire, or arc thrower + backpack.

It will never not be insane to me how chargers take so much effort to take down and come at you in swarms of like five once you reach difficulty six or so. In most cases you don't want to shoot the big green weakpoint looking thing because that takes reduced damage from most sources, instead you want to blow a leg apart and then switch to your primary and shoot the soft vulnerable leg now. Meanwhile, when dealing with automatons, you have hulks. You shoot it in the back or the face, that's it. It takes like two autocannon shots to down one and they don't even have any of that blowing off a leg to actually hurt them horseshit, nor do they come at you in as many sheer numbers.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

explosivo posted:

Maybe my teammates are really good but I have never had that many chargers be a problem and I do 9’s all the time. Your squad should take anti-tank, Gatling, 500kg bomb, any of the artillery’s now, or the rail cannon if you are having trouble with chargers.

Also, just drop a 500kg in front of you and bait all the chargers on top of it and kill like 4 in one shot.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dandywalken posted:

I legit like hulks tbh. Good enemy

Yeah, hulks are great. Lots of ways to kill them or disarm them depending on where you're shooting. Feels a lot more reactive than fighting chargers because you can destroy the weapons to make them less dangerous or have multiple weakpoints to take advantage of.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I really think they had chargers vulnerable to small arms fire late in development, and only flipped on that 90% damage reduction for non-explosive weapons at the end, because if that wasn't there then the packs of 5 chargers would just be kinda annoying/tense. 10% is too low, 100% is probably too much. Maybe 50%? 70%?

Other than stalkers being weirdly resistant to small arms fire, and the issues with chargers, bugs are extremely fun and perfect enemies.

Remove/weaken rocket damage for the bots and they'll be gucci too

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man its a great day when you wake up to breaker nerfs. loving gets repetitive when everyone is running with the same drat build and nerf the shield even more.

Also dev logic makes sense on nerfs, since then they would also rebalance enemy.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ulio posted:

Man its a great day when you wake up to breaker nerfs. loving gets repetitive when everyone is running with the same drat build and nerf the shield even more.

Also dev logic makes sense on nerfs, since then they would also rebalance enemy.

its still the best primary and taking anything else besides the defender or slugger is still just gimping yourself to no benefit

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

did i just get incredibly lucky or have the charger spawn rates actually been reduced?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Flamethrower seems pretty cool because it should solve both the charger problem and the “big rear end group of hunters and warriors chasing you that are standing right next to the charger” at the same time. Running flamethrower + jump pack sounds way more fun than railgun + shield anyways.

I think the patch notes look fine and I’m happy to see active balancing. In the (hopefully near) future we get lots of new gear anyways so I’m kind of fine with the current tools being a bit weak if it makes space for future progression stuff like mechs + upgraded stratagems to be the actual solution to making higher difficulties more manageable.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Worf posted:

I'm glad that the flamethrower is better, I was setting myself on fire anyways while it was bad or mid or whatever

But if I can do that with 50% increased damage to the enemy that's a huge buff for me

Great news. The 50% increased damage applies to you and your team as well.

You won't even have time to stim if you set yourself on fire.

Anyway the flamethrower was good before but it absolutely Fucks now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

how does reloading on the autocannon work? i got it unlocked late last night and was confused as gently caress the whole time why i couldn't reload sometimes

(e) also taking it means no supply backpack right? :(

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The bug faction is comprised of a dozen different melee swarm enemies and two big heavily armored tanks that shrug off most guns, one of which is extremely common.
Everyone takes the same loadout of an automatic shotgun and the most flexible anti-armor support weapon, often alongside a wide AoE stratagem and a TankBuster stratagem.

It's a loving mystery how this meta evolved.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ulio posted:

Tbh it seems like most are ok with breaker nerfs

Ciaphas posted:

how does reloading on the autocannon work? i got it unlocked late last night and was confused as gently caress the whole time why i couldn't reload sometimes

It holds 10 rounds, but reloads in mags of 5. So can only feed 5 at a time, so cant reload with above 5 loaded but dont want to reload too low or you'll get less in mag on reload.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Nuebot posted:

It will never not be insane to me how chargers take so much effort to take down and come at you in swarms of like five once you reach difficulty six or so. In most cases you don't want to shoot the big green weakpoint looking thing because that takes reduced damage from most sources, instead you want to blow a leg apart and then switch to your primary and shoot the soft vulnerable leg now. Meanwhile, when dealing with automatons, you have hulks. You shoot it in the back or the face, that's it. It takes like two autocannon shots to down one and they don't even have any of that blowing off a leg to actually hurt them horseshit, nor do they come at you in as many sheer numbers.

Noticing player engagement on bugs vs. automatons, it kinda cracks me up that players went for the more difficult and punishing enemy race first because Starship Troopers was relevantly cool lol

Darox posted:

The bug faction is comprised of a dozen different melee swarm enemies and two big heavily armored tanks that shrug off most guns, one of which is extremely common.
Everyone takes the same loadout of an automatic shotgun and the most flexible anti-armor support weapon, often alongside a wide AoE stratagem and a TankBuster stratagem.

It's a loving mystery how this meta evolved.

lmao

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

It has a reload clip of 5 rounds and a magazine of 10, if you don't have space for another clip you can't reload.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ciaphas posted:

It uses stripper clips of 5 rounds feeding a 10 round magazine. You can reload in batches of 5 only. So from 6-9 shots left you can't reload, 1-5 you can reload one clip of 5 rounds, and at empty you can reload both for full capacity.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want savable loadouts please

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Frog Act posted:

Lol wow, you’re a tremendous rear end in a top hat. That’s hardly an uncommon sentiment and a lot of people agree with it!

I can only conclude that you have not unlocked or attempted to use any of the primary weapons past the first few, because only a drooling idiot could use them and come away from it thinking “these work great and anyone who disagrees is stupid”. You could also try being less of an a abrasive, arrogant piece of poo poo for no reason, that’s just good normal conduct

ok retard

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ZeusCannon posted:

If you have random voice on its another person in the armor. If you dont its a clone.

No cloning on Super Earth

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

It reloads in chunks of 5, so if you have 6-10 shots in the tank you can't reload.

If you're down to 0 shots, then it does the super long two chunk reload, so try not to do that.

The good news with the AC though is that you never 'waste' ammo, there isn't a clip you're tossing out and replacing. You're just slotting more in.

Edit: Each yellow slot in the backpack is a 5pack of ammo, which is pretty neat visually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How do you grab from your own supply pack with controller?