Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I'd be fine with modern if it wasn't in ranked.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Whatever issues there are with modern sf6, it is funny how useless Tekken's Special Style is... I guess it allowed me to mash through story mode without having to learn a new moveset lol

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Every time Aris complains about 1 and done I always remember this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3VwRd55C9o&t=192s. The degenerate Tekken fan was him all along.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The casuals are at our gates.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Practicing a couple new combo routes with Zafina because a minor change means I can't just do the same combo off 4 different launchers like i could in 7 lol.

Yet I'm marveling at how much time i have to actually visually confirm my moves at a leisurely pace compared to SF's "oh if you're off by 1/10 of a second you get nothing"

I almost got frustrated with dropping a combo until I realized I was actually going too fast and needed to wait a full half second for the opponent to slump so the final move would connect lol

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
SF moderns cool, it's the first "easy" mode that's actually been successful at what every system before it has been trying to attempt, to the point where it is viable at high level play with different advantages/disadvantages to classic controls.

imo the vast majority of SF combos are no harder than any regular tekken launcher combo, hell I'm trying to learn a bit of Lars atm, and im finding the funky timing on attack~stance~attack~stance that his BnBs have way harder than even guilty gear combos.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Practicing a couple new combo routes with Zafina because a minor change means I can't just do the same combo off 4 different launchers like i could in 7 lol.

Yet I'm marveling at how much time i have to actually visually confirm my moves at a leisurely pace compared to SF's "oh if you're off by 1/10 of a second you get nothing"

I almost got frustrated with dropping a combo until I realized I was actually going too fast and needed to wait a full half second for the opponent to slump so the final move would connect lol

I think this is why I like the feel of playing tekken better than street fighter generally. If I set up a frame trap and the opponent presses into it I'm rewarded not just with the extra damage but the cool sound and pretty leisurely timing for most things. Strive tried to do this too but the giant COUNTER text wound up being goofy and kind of took me out of it.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Is there a way to get Edward Gordo without spending $110? I like the tekken roster a lot better after doing some research. sf6 is a lil corny. and i prefer learning a shitload of relatively more forgiving combos than a few extremely demanding ones which seems more like sf6 and mk. I have never really been able to get a fireball to come out consistently but I haven’t put a ton of effort into it, all the quarter circle stuff is a bit of a turnoff.
I will say the netcode is a huge draw coming from the dogshit netcode from smultimate.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 6, 2024

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Dlc characters are sold individually too. Before you could just but may one for 4 or 5 dollars or whatever. They might make you buy tekken coins first to buy them this time

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

great big cardboard tube posted:

Fuckin revelation for perfect electrics on keyboard or hitbox: Tekken let's you bind dpad and left stick separately, if you have your asd/space or wasd or hitbox set to dpad, add a left stick right and left next to your 2 and 4.

Tap forward, hold down, 2+the button beside it for p1 side, 2+the button beside 4 for p2. I'm instantly getting 100% electric accuracy and the speed is picking up so much for punishes.

quoting for checkinglater

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Seltzer posted:

Modern is an afront to gaming and should disappear. Also, it's "normal" and "easy" mode. The way they tried to rebrand modern to seem cool and not easy mode is funny. A terrible fighting game trend that I'm glad tekkens ridiculous move lists and systems can't allow for.

Terrible take. Modern is responsible for getting tons of people into the game, is well balanced, and let's players compete in hybrid with classic.

And like everything else about SF6 it was incredibly well considered and designed.

I don't use it myself but anything that gets new people to play fighting games is a huge plus.

Far as combo stuff between SF and Tekken, SF is tighter on timing, but in trade, you never have to worry about being off axis, using the wrong move for Max wall carry, floor breaks and wall breaks, etc etc. Sure you can mash out a combo in Tekken, but without drilling something decent it'll probably suck anyway. In SF, there's less routes with the trade-off that if your timing is good you're getting that combo, no questions asked.

Lights are tougher to react to and deal with in SF though for real. Sometimes you just want to be able to breathe and Tekken is good for a slower pace.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Watching Sajam's VOD discussing his Tekken event and he's on this topic actually: "I'm impressed all these streamers are playing [Tekken] because this poo poo is way harder than playing Street Fighter"

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Getting better at blocking and grab breaking but it's super frustrating that full bar wired PC connections are giving me worse experiences in general with lag compared to wireless console matches. I'm guessing it's due to their computer not running the game at full speed but there's got to be a way to check that, I dunno. Also frustrated that plugging seems to be a completely risk free move overall.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Mr E posted:

Getting better at blocking and grab breaking but it's super frustrating that full bar wired PC connections are giving me worse experiences in general with lag compared to wireless console matches. I'm guessing it's due to their computer not running the game at full speed but there's got to be a way to check that, I dunno. Also frustrated that plugging seems to be a completely risk free move overall.

Just start skipping PC unless its in casual. I've been doing it and its saved me a lot of headaches. On top of the people on potato PCs there's apparently some issue with the game on PC in general. I saw this post the other day about it

quote:

Tekken 8 does not allow PC players to build all shaders before you play online (like you can in Street Fighter 6 and Mortal Kombat 1), so EVERY SINGLE TIME there's a patch or somebody installs new graphic card drivers - the game will stutter for them, because it has to rebuild those shaders under the hood in a completely unknown way (knowing bamco's incompetence - loading them during gameplay which is of course the worst variant possible). It doesn't matter how powerful your PC is.

If nothing gets done - this problem will persist for the entire game's lifespan. New patches for the game and video card drivers release all the time, and that means stutters.

I'm half debating turning off crossplay just to avoid having to decline pc a bunch. I had no problem finding matches quick in my region for ranked or casual in tekken 7 which was xbox to xbox only matchmaking.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 6, 2024

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

[

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Seltzer posted:

Just start skipping PC unless its in casual. I've been doing it and its saved me a lot of headaches. On top of the people on potato PCs there's apparently some issue with the game on PC in general. I saw this post the other day about it

I'm half debating turning off crossplay just to avoid having to decline pc a bunch. I had no problem finding matches quick in my region for ranked or casual in tekken 7 which was xbox to xbox only matchmaking.

The problem is I'm also on PC :v:. That's wild but not surprising with Bamco regarding the shaders, I like the actual game of Tekken 8 the most since like Tag Tournament 2 as a very casual enjoyer of the games, it's the first I've wanted to take seriously in the series. It's just that a lot of the smaller parts make me want to take a break for a bit, which probably isn't a bad idea since I haven't played Granblue at all and SF6 or GG in months.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Mr E posted:

The problem is I'm also on PC :v:. That's wild but not surprising with Bamco regarding the shaders, I like the actual game of Tekken 8 the most since like Tag Tournament 2 as a very casual enjoyer of the games, it's the first I've wanted to take seriously in the series. It's just that a lot of the smaller parts make me want to take a break for a bit, which probably isn't a bad idea since I haven't played Granblue at all and SF6 or GG in months.

Ah bummer. Well I saw someone say loading every stage in practice after a patch solves the issue lol.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I refunded it, im not cut out for this. I really liked Leroy and his sweet dog but the tutorial had me doing 6 string tornado combos and just man that’s a lot for forty six minutes into the game

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I really liked Leroy and his sweet dog

Oh no.....

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

the tutorial had me doing 6 string tornado combos

Almost no one is doing that within the first dozen hours of Tekkening. But it's really not as complicated as the number of hits and the "tornado" part make it sound. 6 hits is probably just something like an uppercut/jump kick to launch, a 2- to 3-hit combo string that "tornado"es the juglee, and then a 1-3 hit string to end it. Tons of beginners only know a few strings and rarely if ever combine them with launchers.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Re: pluggers/quitters/one-and-done players - I haven't had a plug pulled on me or a ragequit yet but it's not unique to ranked, as I went into Tekken lounge to do some unranked matches and the majority of those were one and done affairs. I've heard a lot of people view the character I play, Kuma, as a "joke" character and I can't help but wonder if people just don't want to play against a martial arts practising bear in their serious fighting game where a woman with THE DEVIL in her arm can fight against a French super spy with a teleporter and a katana or a luchador in a jaguar mask that speaks solely in cat growls and everyone understands him just fine.

What surprised me was how solid the connection was in the WiFi matches. I'd still never play against a WiFi player in ranked (and reading what people are saying about PC issues I'll consider ducking those on the reg) but I had no lag and no stuttering last night which was cool. :)

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

DeadButDelicious posted:

Re: pluggers/quitters/one-and-done players - I haven't had a plug pulled on me or a ragequit yet but it's not unique to ranked, as I went into Tekken lounge to do some unranked matches and the majority of those were one and done affairs. I've heard a lot of people view the character I play, Kuma, as a "joke" character and I can't help but wonder if people just don't want to play against a martial arts practising bear in their serious fighting game where a woman with THE DEVIL in her arm can fight against a French super spy with a teleporter and a katana or a luchador in a jaguar mask that speaks solely in cat growls and everyone understands him just fine.

What surprised me was how solid the connection was in the WiFi matches. I'd still never play against a WiFi player in ranked (and reading what people are saying about PC issues I'll consider ducking those on the reg) but I had no lag and no stuttering last night which was cool. :)

One and doneing is not limited to any one character or matchup

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

great big cardboard tube posted:

Fuckin revelation for perfect electrics on keyboard or hitbox: Tekken let's you bind dpad and left stick separately, if you have your asd/space or wasd or hitbox set to dpad, add a left stick right and left next to your 2 and 4.

Tap forward, hold down, 2+the button beside it for p1 side, 2+the button beside 4 for p2. I'm instantly getting 100% electric accuracy and the speed is picking up so much for punishes.

So I tested this with my Junkfood Micro XL and from what I can tell on controller, you can't rebind analog stick keys unless it's to another analog stick key, so I guess what that means is I guess I'm a keyboard player now

(I'm kidding. Probably)

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Basticle posted:

One and doneing is not limited to any one character or matchup

Where did I explicitly say it was? Weird take my dude.

E: on re-read I wasn't entirely clear so I'll clarify - one and done's happen, pluggers happen, ragequits happen. I've only experienced the former. I have been told by other Tekken players who have been playing Tekken longer than me that people in general don't like fighting the bears, and I tried to poke fun at this by speculating that the bears are considered joke or troll characters in a game that isn't afraid to poke fun at itself with absurd characters. That's my experience. That's not me saying that pluggers/one and done's/ragequits don't happen to anyone else playing any other character, I'm sure everyone experiences the above regardless of who they play as.

For actual Tekken discussion - is there a general guide or advice on sidestepping and when/where to use it? Coming from a 2D fighter background I'm not very adept at using the 3D space to my advantage both on offense and defense so a primer would be really useful for that. :)

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 6, 2024

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

DeadButDelicious posted:

For actual Tekken discussion - is there a general guide or advice on sidestepping and when/where to use it? Coming from a 2D fighter background I'm not very adept at using the 3D space to my advantage both on offense and defense so a primer would be really useful for that. :)

A guy from the Goonsgarden Discord recommended this video series a while back that I found very helpful. It was made during the Tekken 7 days but a lot of the advice still applies to Tekken 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv2yYnQi5i4

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

DeadButDelicious posted:

This is a very good video on this that's less about "this is what this input does" (the other video is good at covering all those) and is more about understanding how the 3d space works and how to apply 3d movement in a coherent gameplan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqZndya05yg

That segment starts like 20 minutes in, the beginning of the video is about learning mindset so you can skip that though I also found it interesting

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Seltzer posted:

Modern is an afront to gaming and should disappear. Also, it's "normal" and "easy" mode. The way they tried to rebrand modern to seem cool and not easy mode is funny. A terrible fighting game trend that I'm glad tekkens ridiculous move lists and systems can't allow for.

Get a load of this guy

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You can play a Tekken character respectably knowing 15 very low execution moves (like, a handful of legacy characters have QCFs and people are wilding out about shaheen having one charge input) and one bread and butter combo route that usually have very generous buffer windows plus the Tornado gives you literal seconds to think about your input lol.

Meanwhile SF6 characters' "basic combos" usually have completely hosed timing windows of a few frames without even counting drive rush cancels, and a fundamental move like a super asking for multiple qc motions, gtfo lol

Also I'm gonna be super clear about this, I'm not trying to start a fight with what I'm about to say I just enjoy the conversation about the kinds of things people find difficult to approach in other games and this is not intended as a you're wrong SF better than Tekken thing. But from my experience playing Tekken, it is SO picky about your inputs, and a lot of moves seem to have completely arbitrary inputs for no reason. Held df+2 is different than df+2? ff neutral + 2? They've taken us for fools, these are the inputs of a madman. At least SF is like, you got your quarter circles, you got your DPs, maybe a half circle and if you're gief, 360s. These are the inputs. Sometimes you punch, sometimes you kick, sometimes you do them forward and back, and if you wanna super you do em twice but these are all the inputs you need to know. That and everyone's got under 20 normals and they all are done the exact same way so I don't have to guess if some move is like, f+2 or WR uf2 or some bizarre poo poo.

Also just as a personal thing that tripped me up forever, I was trying to do some forward neutral down forward move once after being blocked and it just wouldn't come out and I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why, only to find out that you can't buffer moves that come off a crouch dash because you actually have to crouch dash to do them, which makes sense I suppose but it's really arbitrary when the movelist just says like "do this motion + button" and it doesn't happen, but with other moves that have a stance or a motion it says "during X, button". Just say during crouch dash (whatever it's called for that character), button.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I think there’s some overlap in Tekken’s design principles and the one and done/ragequitting issue.

Tekken takes very little effort and a willingness to experiment to start finding your bullshit. And defense in Tekken is harder than in other games, since low launchers are a thing, strings are a thing, so on.

I think Tekken’s one and done/ragequit issues are a direct outgrowth of this.

Everyone knows that fighting games don’t have much staying power for more casual players. They can seem esoteric at the best of times. But if you give a masher access to so much nonsense, you create a defensive nightmare for people trying to learn the game. This could be said to be true of all fighting games, but in SF, block low will mostly keep you from getting comboed, save jump-ins. And for those, your character has a couple dedicated anti-airs you need to learn to use. But what that means is you can say to a new player, “Yo, block low, punish. If someone jumps in on you, anti air them.”

You can’t really do that with Tekken. The fact is, in Tekken, all you can do is either press your own bullshit offense based on gimmicks, or learn the most common buttons and punish them with extreme prejudice.

So where does this leave us? It takes comparatively little knowledge or ability to body people in low ranked Tekken, as compared to SF. It’s a common refrain for new players in Tekken to say wtf? I don’t know what just happened.

In SF, by comparison, diagnosing the defensive slips is a much easier process. You only need to get into the weeds once you’ve attained a certain level of competency, and by that point you’re probably well-equipped to figure out the particulars of where your defense is going wrong.

So what you get in sum are a bunch of people mashing to victory, a bunch of people trying to play the video game, and everyone feeling unjustifiably smug about their wins or salty about their inexplicable losses.

I think this is just a core pain point for how Tekken itself is designed. I don’t think it makes it a bad game, but I do think it poses some unique issues. Even if you do get mildly Tekken capable, you’re still gonna see some weird random bullshit you didn’t expect, or you’re going to fail to block a stray mid three strikes into a string that launches you. It’s just inevitable. The cognitive load of processing that, even when you have gained some ability, is much higher than in SF.

So it’s no wonder people rage quit. I don’t do it and I don’t condone it but I do understand it. It makes a lot of sense considering how Tekken is built.

I would also kinda theorize that SF put a not insignificant amount of effort into its whole vibe. Everything about that game screams easy going, good sportsmanship, positive development, learning to get better. Like, it is baked into the core design of everything about the game from World Tour to how the Battle Hub is presented. I think that sort of core tenet comes through and trickles down to player behavior, as well.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I feel like "Knowing one move" in Tekken is way more information than "knowing one move" in SF. Yeah you need to know less than 20 per character, to reliably perform, but the interactions of any single move are more complex.

That being said, answering the original question, if you don't want to commit and learn a FG, Tekken is better, you can have fun without being constricted by the rigidness of the input system.
If you want to commit, pick your poison: tight execution or vast amounts knowledge to accrue.
(Both options have the other strain of poison in their mix.)

I think SF6 is the best designed game overall (taking artistic direction into account, too), but the more I play T8 the more I want to keep learning.

edit: ^^ yeah agree on everything. The tone, especially: SF6 is all "let's have fun", T8 is "angry punch kings and queens"

Char fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 6, 2024

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I think combos need to be shorter and do less damage. Getting hit by a combo means:
1. You're juggling around in the air, which sucks.
2. You've just lost almost half your health.
3. You're against a wall now because unless you're in a huge stage combos seem to carry forever, and now they can wall pressure you to death.

And I'm just not a fan of the person bouncing in air thing, I don't think it looks good. I've said it before and I'll say it again, anything past a 4 hit combo should be rare. Add on to this that combos are unfriendly to newcomers because you need the muscle memory, and kind of boring at high levels because you see the same thing over and over outside of the occasional drop.

I think this also partially solves the problem of high level defensive gameplay. I forget where I heard it, but one of the players said Tekken is so defensive because if you screw up and get caught in a combo it's like being hit by an atomic bomb, so you just can't go for risky stuff.

Tekken 8 has huge combos that do half your health right out the gate though so I don't think my opinion is that popular.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
We deserve a do-over on the latest Samsho.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm not sure if SF6 combos are harder than Tekken 8 combos because they both require some serious execution practice and I'm kinda garbage in both.

Mortal Kombat combos are generally easier though, I'm pretty sure of that.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Nice Van My Man posted:

And I'm just not a fan of the person bouncing in air thing, I don't think it looks good. I've said it before and I'll say it again, anything past a 4 hit combo should be rare. Add on to this that combos are unfriendly to newcomers because you need the muscle memory, and kind of boring at high levels because you see the same thing over and over outside of the occasional drop.

well you're gonna have to go back to tekken 3 then because that poo poo is absolutely not changing now

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Seltzer posted:

I'd be fine with modern if it wasn't in ranked.

yeah all those top tier players dominating ranked by abusing modern must be stopped.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

yeah all those top tier players dominating ranked by abusing modern must be stopped.

I keep getting dped out of existence. am I so predictable with my jump ins?

...No, It's the modern controls who are wrong.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I said this when modern was initially announced, but I'll say it again. One of the low key best things about it was it forces you to sharpen your game. When people have one button fireballs and anti airs, you just gotta get good. Bonus points for exposing whiners who couldn't cope. Anyway sorry this is the Tekken thread. Special style is poorly designed garbage.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I fought a Jin who switched to special style every time he wanted to hellsweep. Poor guy didn't know it popped the symbol up on my screen, must have thought I was psychic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

well you're gonna have to go back to tekken 3 then because that poo poo is absolutely not changing now

to be fair I would like it if we all went back to tekken 3 for a bit lol