Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Jack Trades posted:

I mean...to each their own I guess, if that's what you find more difficult then sure thing, but personally I'll take having to be good at combat over having to trial-and-error some level design bullshit.

Also...uhhh...not to be an rear end in a top hat but are you sure you didn't repress those memories maybe? The last soulslike I tried was Elden Ring and after exiting that tutorial dungeon, I was promptly one-shot by 3 completely different things in the span of 10 minutes.
Which reminded me exactly why I stopped playing soulslikes.

This is true, and it's only because I've played these games to death I know this type of trap when I see it.
The Tree Sentinel that's just outside the starting location (Stranded Graveyard), and the optional dungeon locked behind a Stonesword Key (Fringefolk Hero's Grave) are optional, difficult challenges at the point you first encounter them. They don't even give you anything of worth that you can't get in a much easier way.

But Nioh 2 has the exact same thing in the very first location (The Village of Cursed Blossoms) - there's Gozuki just walking around like 15 seconds away from the spawn point - which is a boss-level enemy (quite literally, too, since you fight his counterpart as a final boss of that level). Defeating it is very much not worth it, either (don't ask me how I know!).

I think Elden Ring ESPECIALLY but to some degree all games of this type are much better if you can quickly recognize that something is beyond your current capabilities so you can safely skip it/return to it later if possible/needed. Dark Souls 1 has the infamous fork in the road where right is newbie town and left leads you to Catacombs, a late game area that's pitch black and has skeletons that get constantly resurrected so it's very much a series tradition, for better or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Orv posted:

This is especially funny because F2P PC/console titles that actually do numbers and make a ton of money are very expensive up front so uh, what exactly are you changing here WB?

None of WB’s games are actually unprofitable, they just cost $200 million to make $1 billion so the financial geniuses figure they can spend 20 dollars on the actual development and still make the same amount of money.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, Mortal Kombat 1 has had a hard time keeping players, but it definitely sold enough on release to be a profit, just not a long tail for it so far. Which is certainly undesirable for the suits who wanted it to provide a steady income until Mortal Kombat 2 comes out.

Suicide Squad is clearly a flop though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Battletech report: prologue/tutorial missions poorly paced and slow, but I made it through and turned on the speed toggles and I'm several missions into being a mercenary and having fun! Especially because the game is WAY snappier and responsive performance-wise than I remember in 2018, missions just zoom along and it's fantastic.

ps dekker lived, but wow I don't know what to do with tiny robots in this game

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Ghost of Tsushima has a Steam page, May 16th release.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

That Harry Potter game alone made them a bajillion dollars last year, don’t let any of these jokers convince you they simply can’t afford to not cut developer jobs.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

$60 for a 4 year old game of course

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

That Harry Potter game alone made them a bajillion dollars last year, don’t let any of these jokers convince you they simply can’t afford to not cut developer jobs.

But have you considered the poor C-suite that won't be able to afford more than 10% bonus increase this quarter, you monster?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

exquisite tea posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot they did Harry Potter. That certainly makes up for whatever loss Suicide Squad had.

I see Monolith is apparently making a Wonder Woman game and I wish people would just accept that Spiderman and Batman are like the only superheroes that can move sales.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

kazil posted:

To be fair, it looks like it's going to be 70$ on PS5.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kazil posted:

The Original Black Ops CoD game is 12 years old and the same price.

Also bizarre because everyone plays the newest versions anyways, hope into a CoD 2-3 years old and the online, if it exists, is going to be a bleak hellscape of hackers.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

hell yeah!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot they did Harry Potter. That certainly makes up for whatever loss Suicide Squad had.

I see Monolith is apparently making a Wonder Woman game and I wish people would just accept that Spiderman and Batman are like the only superheroes that can move sales.

X-Men. Like there's a Wolverine game coming from the Spiderman people.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Who?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Can't wait to have a nice soak in the hot spring and think about my uncle

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

kazil posted:

when they do a lot of work to it and it's a game that large, I don't really mind. it'll probably get a $45 sale within the next six months, maybe $35 or $40 around the holidays

this thing supports 48:9 with triple monitors, I am not sure I have ever seen a non-racing/flight-sim game support that :eyepop:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/warner-bros-discusses-volatile-aaa-console-games-will-lean-into-free-to-play-and-mobile/1100-6521597/

Imagine getting so burned by Suicide Squad that you go "Making real video games is hard, so instead of trying to do anything worthwhile we're taking our ball and leaving for the market where quality doesn't matter."

Acting like gamers are simply inscrutable and the market is impossible to figure out, just stop making these garbage rear end nickel-and-diming live service games where you poo poo all over your own beloved legacy characters for no reason

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Battletech report: prologue/tutorial missions poorly paced and slow, but I made it through and turned on the speed toggles and I'm several missions into being a mercenary and having fun! Especially because the game is WAY snappier and responsive performance-wise than I remember in 2018, missions just zoom along and it's fantastic.

ps dekker lived, but wow I don't know what to do with tiny robots in this game

Stack evasion on a firestarter with small weapons and jump jets, jump behind enemy mechs and unload. Never gets old.

Apart from that, anything lighter than an Atlas becomes irrelevant later on.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ZearothK posted:

People like Wonder Woman! She could theoretically move games no problem. I've never seen the 2017 movie, but I've been assured many times that it's good for a superhero movie. Of course, they followed it up with Wonder Woman 1984, which was a dumpster fire in many ways. It's like a switch got flipped five or six years ago where they all decided that from then on they were only going to release trash entertainment products, and then blame the audience when these inevitably failed.

Batman now getting the same treatment in Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League, ensuring that people won't be as enthusiastic even if they do actually release another decent Batman game in the future

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I don't care for superheroes but I'd play the hell out of a Mystery Men themed XCOM clone. Ballerina-Man ftw.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I feel Suicide Squad as an IP could have worked as well; Harley Quinn is in top three of the most popular DC characters, apparently. Unfortunately, the actual game ended up being not great.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

I feel Suicide Squad as an IP could have worked as well; Harley Quinn is in top three of the most popular DC characters, apparently. Unfortunately, the actual game ended up being not great.
Well, here's your weekly reminder that popular doesn't mean good. She was downright obnoxious in Arkham and from what I've seen of Suicide Squad, they just dialed that up.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

quote:

So the plan going forward, he said, is to help reduce volatility by focusing on core franchises and bringing at least some of them to the mobile and free-to-play space, as well as continuing to invest in live-service games that people play--and spend money on--over a long period of time.

"Rather than just launching a one-and-done console game, how do we develop a game around, for example, a Hogwarts Legacy or Harry Potter, that is a live-service where people can live and work and build and play in that world in an ongoing basis?"

Love that their takeaway from Suicide Squad's failure is to try again with a different IP

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

None of WB’s games are actually unprofitable, they just cost $200 million to make $1 billion so the financial geniuses figure they can spend 20 dollars on the actual development and still make the same amount of money.

exquisite tea posted:

Oh no don't get me wrong, it's a dumbass take by WB to inevitably fire a trillion people or something, they've always been awful.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
When did the blame the audience phenomenon start? Sure authors and actual creatives and stuff have blamed audiences for a long time (justifiably or not) but it's become standard corporate messaging now.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sab669 posted:

Love that their takeaway from Suicide Squad's failure is to try again with a different IP

The biggest problem with suicide squad was that they had very few actual mission types and kept repeating the same 3-4 but with modifiers and that became obvious very quickly.

Your games actually have to have content, not just cut scenes.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Did anyone actually like Suicide Squad as an IP (under WB, I mean. I know it was a comic beforehand)? It seemed like everyone was dunking on it since the start of WB trying to push the IP with their movie. No one liked nuJoker nor any of the characters really.

Like, what was there where that made WB CEOs be like, "Yeah, people want more of this." Is it just sunk cost fallacy in that they paid money for the IP and dammit they're gonna use it?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Just a few more Suicide Squad movies and someone will start liking it maybe

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I thought the pirated scanz of the original run I downloaded 20 years ago were neat at the time :kiddo:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The second one was pretty good; in the first movie Harley Quin has a personality that's basically that awful song"Crazy Bitch" by Buckcherry and it's really, really obnoxious. In the second she's a much better written character. The whole movies are really pretty night and day in terms of quality.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

No Wave posted:

When did the blame the audience phenomenon start? Sure authors and actual creatives and stuff have blamed audiences for a long time (justifiably or not) but it's become standard corporate messaging now.

i think they don't understand at all why baldur's gate 3, elden ring, tekken 8, metroid dread, etc. were lauded and celebrated and sold extremely well through word of mouth (idk about metroid but i assume it sold well). this was never more clear than with elden ring, which largely contradicts all modern AAA (derogatory) design sensibilities and caused a lot of, like, UX designers for lovely ubisoft games to melt down. and instead of reflecting on themselves, they blamed the gamers.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
GMG has Ghosts of Tsushima preorder for $50: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/ghost-of-tsushima-directors-cut-pc/

will probably wait until close to release to do this since I think the GMG preorder discounts stick around until the game launches. hopefully by then there'll be some impressions to know if it runs well on PC, though I think there haven't been too many problems with recent Sony PC releases (really just Horizon and Last of Us seemed to be messy, and at least the former was fixed up?)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Horizon Zero Dawn's PC port was really rough at first, now it's probably one of the better first-party ports out there. I'm optimistic about Forbidden West because it's being done by Nixxes, who tend to have a really strong track record on PC.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ghost of tsushima is the first time sucker punches in-house engine has been ported to PC so ymmv

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I feel like when Ghost of Tsushima came out everyone was all "oh it's just samurai Assassin's Creed" but now I guess people like that?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Deakul posted:

Same here, along with needing to constantly aim for tiny weak spots while also rolling around everywhere.

Every upgrade in the first Horizon game sucks except the bow one that lets you shoot multiple arrows at once and then everything becomes super easy because you do way more damage.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
What is ghosts of tsushima is that another souls like thing

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mordja posted:

So I feel like when Ghost of Tsushima came out everyone was all "oh it's just samurai Assassin's Creed" but now I guess people like that?

It seemed overwhelmingly highly regarded when it came out and I never heard 'samurai assassin's creed' thing so I am interested in it. :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordja posted:

I think you're getting things mixed out. When it was first announced people were like "Looks like Samurai Assassin's Creed" but when the actual game came out it was highly regarded because it turned out to be more like a cool samurai game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Resdfru posted:

What is ghosts of tsushima is that another souls like thing

No it's Sony's prestige 3rd person action game.

the one with samurai, not the one with mythical gods, sci-fi dinosaurs, zombies, the other one with zombies, or the one with super-heroes.