Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
If you don’t like juggles and big combos then I’m afraid this is not the game for you. There’s a lot of other fighting games out there that will probably scratch your itch better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, Hellish Quart but there's no online. Tekken 3 with better graphics, some retuning and an updated roster would be great. I'm not a fan of the game design behind combos but I can live with them.

Actually now that you mention it, what is a modern fighter without emphasis on combos? I'm really not aware of any.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Nice Van My Man posted:

Yeah, Hellish Quart but there's no online. Tekken 3 with better graphics, some retuning and an updated roster would be great. I'm not a fan of the game design behind combos but I can live with them.

Actually now that you mention it, what is a modern fighter without emphasis on combos? I'm really not aware of any.

Samsho. Which is a great game hampered by dogs hit netcode and no crossplay

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

e-

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 7, 2024

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Combos are fun to do

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Pockyless posted:

Combos are fun to do

they're fun to do, they're an avenue for player expression, they test your ability to execute under pressure, they can test stage awareness, scaling (damage and/or pushback) awareness, axis awareness, heat management, what you're doing with your rage, whether or not you want to let the enemy end up in rage, you can optimize them for oki or damage or whatever, yadda yadda, factors factors. pulling out some bullshit in some situation you've never been in before based on all that stuff is cool. combos are cool.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Artelier posted:

So I tested this with my Junkfood Micro XL and from what I can tell on controller, you can't rebind analog stick keys unless it's to another analog stick key, so I guess what that means is I guess I'm a keyboard player now

(I'm kidding. Probably)

Ah yeah I've been doing this on keyboard while my Haute42 is in the mail, I saw it showcased on that but you can change the button bindings on a Haute so that makes sense

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pockyless posted:

Combos are fun to do

:agreed: It's why I try to keep two that at least wall carry and one for the wall in my muscle memory so poo poo doesn't get too repeatitive for my opponent when I juggle combo them.

I'm a considerate, Raven main.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Nice Van My Man posted:

I fought a Jin who switched to special style every time he wanted to hellsweep. Poor guy didn't know it popped the symbol up on my screen, must have thought I was psychic.

All he needs to do is pick a special style mid to mix it up with, or just get really good at switching the toggle back off at the last second, and he'll be a god.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Tekken rules

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I want as many people to enjoy Tekken as possible but when I see people ask them to sharply reduce combo length or remove them altogether I go "oh no, as an existing Tekken player I would actually hate that a lot."

In short

Pockyless posted:

Combos are fun to do

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Just don't get launched lol

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Small Tekken is tense and cool and where true high level gameplay lies but the threat of overextending with a big move or being out-movemented and getting launched and your face blown off with a combo is what makes that gameplay so exciting

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Combos ARE cool

https://clips.twitch.tv/ElatedInspiringTruffleLitty-pynduX4pNOdMkmaA

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

they're fun to do, they're an avenue for player expression, they test your ability to execute under pressure, they can test stage awareness, scaling (damage and/or pushback) awareness, axis awareness, heat management, what you're doing with your rage, whether or not you want to let the enemy end up in rage, you can optimize them for oki or damage or whatever, yadda yadda, factors factors. pulling out some bullshit in some situation you've never been in before based on all that stuff is cool. combos are cool.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 6, 2024

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

IMO a 4 hit combo can be just as expressive and clutch as a 10 hit if the game is designed that way. Fine, fine, I'll keep it in the unpopular game opinions thread.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
My Panda expresses herself just fine with 2 hits.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Nice

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
nice

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
nice

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
7 seconds is about the limit for me for a bnb before combos feel too long. In tekken the only combos are heat dash combos, rage arts, and stage extensions which are at most once per round if not once per game. Blazblue, Marvel 3, and maybe Uni really push acceptable combo time after any type of conversion.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Pockyless posted:

7 seconds is about the limit for me for a bnb before combos feel too long. In tekken the only combos are heat dash combos, rage arts, and stage extensions which are at most once per round if not once per game. Blazblue, Marvel 3, and maybe Uni really push acceptable combo time after any type of conversion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkU4MfZRWSM&t=30s

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
If you dont count the instakill cinematic the longest combo was 4 seconds

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Pockyless posted:

If you dont count the instakill cinematic the longest combo was 4 seconds

It's just a funny video man lol

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
It had nothing to do with what i posted

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pockyless posted:

How do you feel about a Tager player infinitely floating you around via magnets? :v:

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Lil Majin just released his much awaited guide to King in Tekken 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seNZV2umQ3w

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Revisiting tekken 7 feels so off now after 8

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I feel like this is super important for people newer to the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWZFFhHHq3g

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Going to have to disagree with PhiDx. Backing up at the start of a round tells your opponent you're a coward. You need to throw out the craziest move you've got so that they know you're a scrapper. Preferably a high crush or low crush to catch out other non-cowards who pick wrong. Try to make it long range so the cowardly backdashers don't get a whiff punish. It doesn't matter that you'll probably end up getting comboed all the way to the back wall, it's about winning the mental game.

My personal favorite with Reina is down 3+4, it high crushes and grapples them to the floor on counterhit for extra psychological damage, and people looking for a whiff punish will eat the counterhit 4 extension. And of course for Feng, we all know it, db3. The only weakness is that everyone already knows you're going to do it and will block and punish it from the very start of the very first match.

Anyway, I know that's terrible advice but in all honesty I throw out random round starters way more than I should.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

It's a habit I'm trying to get out of as well

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Nice Van My Man posted:

Going to have to disagree with PhiDx. Backing up at the start of a round tells your opponent you're a coward. You need to throw out the craziest move you've got so that they know you're a scrapper. Preferably a high crush or low crush to catch out other non-cowards who pick wrong. Try to make it long range so the cowardly backdashers don't get a whiff punish. It doesn't matter that you'll probably end up getting comboed all the way to the back wall, it's about winning the mental game.
Find the biggest land mammal in the tournament and piss on it, marking your territory.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

If its someone I'm facing in ranked for the first time, as Bryan i like to start with a 2 3. If they go for a big tracking attack or ss i have time to block after the 2, if they block it they're far enough from me to be in the Bryan Danger Zone, reset to neutral, and if they try anything fancier theyll eat the 2 or 3. If they're aggressive it usually works to my advantage, but if their defense is on point I usually fold before they do if i lose initiative close up.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Nice Van My Man posted:

[...] You need to throw out the craziest move you've got so that they know you're a scrapper.

He addressed that.

The craziest move on round start is a forward dash :v:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Start every round with an unblockable and hope they're the kind of player whose brain shuts down when they see you winding up (like me)

:unsmigghh:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

round start death fist all day

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Walls.Tweet

https://x.com/calebcity/status/1765907984561983780?s=46&t=llulaz2AtuAZjWju5iP9MA

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Artelier posted:

So I tested this with my Junkfood Micro XL and from what I can tell on controller, you can't rebind analog stick keys unless it's to another analog stick key, so I guess what that means is I guess I'm a keyboard player now

(I'm kidding. Probably)

Late update for you since I randomly saw it pointed out elsewhere: you can change controller settings in your Steam library to do exactly this on any device without rebinding the buttons themselves if you're on PC.

My Haute came in last night, really loving this thing so far, I'm still not a good player but now I'm a bad player who can very easily kbd and fast electric so I can spend more time learning other things.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
TIL Jun gets 90 damage off a FC low that’s only -11 on block, and I instantly revised my internal views on how strong my chosen character might be. Snake Edge combos for no downside.

FC df2, WR3, b42, b21b1, ff2f2

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
It only combos on counterhit but yes its very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I've had barely any time to play working like 12-16 hour days, but I got some time to sit down last night and tekken is still good