Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Squaddies vs. Lone Wolves is producing truly fascinating discourse itt

boz posted:

I actually got a clip of this last night, had two of them charge straight into eachother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYKk-IOINSI

Ahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Sure the flamethrower kills chargers reasonably quickly but still not nearly quickly enough to make up for how vulnerable you are while using it. I gave it a go and in my experience I always had to end up bailing before I could even finish the charger off because another charger or a pack of hunters started coming up on me from behind. I still don't think it's a great support weapon on the difficulties that have really dense enemy spawns.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

boz posted:

I actually got a clip of this last night, had two of them charge straight into eachother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYKk-IOINSI

I've also had a charger ram itself into a bile titan's leg, which killed the bile titan and the titan landing on the charger then killed the charger.

On another note, here is a clip from one of my games a week ago.
https://i.imgur.com/QPK8H0a.mp4

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this game owns

I hope we get the bolt action and the mini-tank from the first game. and the mortar.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Bland posted:

Sure the flamethrower kills chargers reasonably quickly but still not nearly quickly enough to make up for how vulnerable you are while using it. I gave it a go and in my experience I always had to end up bailing before I could even finish the charger off because another charger or a pack of hunters started coming up on me from behind. I still don't think it's a great support weapon on the difficulties that have really dense enemy spawns.

This has been my experience too. Since I posted a clip of a guy killing a charger really quickly with a flamethrower I thought I'd try it myself. Ended up running away/getting killed because the chargers really didn't die all that quick.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 6, 2024

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

wow the meteors are uhhhhh oppressive

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Durzel posted:

Whilst that is all true, is that a realistic conceit for a pubbie pick up game? Maybe if you only ever play with your tacticool mates all of a similar skill level, all on comms, etc. With randos none of whom will say a word, may not even speak or understand your language, aren't inclined to have their experience dictated to them, etc - not so much.

I would also make an argument that if you make killing stuff laboured it makes it less fun, less pick up and play. Having to strategise every encounter might sound great to some people, but I suspect its not the game that people have fallen head over heels for already. It feels like it would be a different, more taxing game entirely.

I play with pubbies 90% of the time and it works fine for me. Seems pretty realistic.

I do think they should have some sort of "horde" side difficulty or planet modifier that has increased number and danger of smaller enemies though because there is a lot of satisfaction there. And I would always pick it for bots becuase tanks are the most unfun thing in the game to fight.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I am very pleased with these changes. I'd like a reason to bring a scorcher other than ammo considerations, and one day the senator might be worth using.

I also like knowing that bringing a flamethrower is always a good idea against bugs.

They need to add a loving sword and a motorbike

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I like the senator when I'm using a primary I don't think I'll need to be switching a lot (because it's got good ammo/fast reloads). It's nice when I need to deal with a hive guard or a couple of warriors and I can just whip it out and unload on something. Also, sniping robots in the head. It kills anything short of a brute in a single shot if you're good.

But yes, the first game had a sword (in the special roguelike dungeon mode) and it had a bike with a sidecar, which would be hilarious in this one.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Is there an emote where I can stab a super earth flag pole down into an enemy

I also like the senator and will not stop using it under any circumstances

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Heavy armor is probably finally worth bringing to bot missions so you can survive a rocket to the face.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

heavy armor + the riot shield is probably gonna be pretty sweet vs. bots

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

As an SMG lover vs bots, the riot shield has too many flaws to bother with even if I was bringing the AMR instead of autocannon.

Same huge cooldown as better backpacks. poo poo ADS aim (and the green lasersight on defender is trash). Flies a mile away from you when you get hit by a stiff breeze. Can have beacons stuck to it that would bounce off of charger armor (and guess what you won't notice using an AMR scope until it is too late)

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

GlyphGryph posted:

Bringing stuff specifically to deal with them should be mandatory. Now, there should be a variety of ways to do that, and I think the game is actually pretty good on that right now (there's 10 different weapons at this point that can reliably take them down, and if they fix the stinger it will be 11, and half of them can do it super quickly, and that's not counting strategems). But having people on your team who bring the right tools of the different jobs and filling different roles you need is, at least for me, literally half the point. Having an innefficient fallback option when you're out of options is fine, and we have that now, but it needs to stay inefficient to make the other stuff valuable.

The problem with the breaker, railgun and shield and why they needed to be nerfed is specifically because they made bringing tailored kit and having team diversity so much less valuable, because that loadout could effectively handle every single thing the game, meaning your heavy weapons or explosives guy essentially had no meaningful role to play on the team because the railgun gun was already doing his job better (and also a bunch of other jobs besides)

I'm not sure of the specifics, but angle of impact seems to matter for deflections. Try to hit them straight on on the flattest part you can see and see if it helps?

So I mostly play this game in a duo with my brother or with my more casual friends. Making one enemy type an extreme annoyance to the point that I feel like I need to bring specific things in order to deal with it means it feels like I can't play with a lot of other things that I would like to try. That would be one thing in the 7-9 bracket, but I'm mostly tooling around in 5 because it's about the right challenge-to-fun ratio for me and the people I'm playing with. Chargers are still the one thing I feel like I absolutely have to prepare for or we're going to have a bad time, which means I don't really get to mess with other weapons and strats for, you know, actual fun. My personal take, and one that seems to be shared by the people I play with and a good amount of the people posting here, is that they are overtuned for how often they appear even in the lower difficulties. It's good to have an enemy type that requires you to change things up or coordinate on some level to handle, but when they're too prevalent they can suck all the air out of the rest of the game.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Stealth buff to post-game score loading time feels 100% faster big change

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fishstick posted:

Chargers are unintuitive in terms of what you want to use where for new players, imo.

The general idea is you want to break the armor off of one of front the legs using your anti tank of choice (EAT, Recoilless, etc) and then once the soft meat is exposed you can finish it off extremely quickly with some small arms fire into said leg. The trouble is doing it with a lot of other poo poo and n+x other chargers trying to also eat your cape at the same time.

With autocannon (and maybe the AMR? Not sure) you want to do the same, but from behind (ie: hit the same front leg 2 - 3 times from behind). You can also try and shoot the bottom of their tail until it falls off which is a lot easier to do with poo poo going down, but takes more shots overall.

Chargers are also vulnerable to small arms for a short period of time directly after they finish a charge, so you can put some damage into one of said legs that way too if you dont have any AT available right now.
Oooohh, okay, the front legs are the weak spots. Got it. Does the armor-breaking shot have to be a direct hit or will e.g. hitting the ground directly next to a leg still do the job?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Babe Magnet posted:

If you still drop the shield every time you get knocked over it's still probably not going to be ideal over a ton of other backpack slots.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

wow the meteors are uhhhhh oppressive

It's great. The natural events they've added so far are very much worthy of paying attention to.

Senator talk: Two things. One - Give me a speed loader variant, I don't care if I waste ammo, I want it. Two - It is a perfect pairing for the smg or other lower damage/high rof primary. Only six rounds sure, but those six rounds do the work.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ciaphas posted:

Oooohh, okay, the front legs are the weak spots. Got it. Does the armor-breaking shot have to be a direct hit or will e.g. hitting the ground directly next to a leg still do the job?

direct hits only. and only with a RR, EAT, and Railgun

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm not sure of the specifics, but angle of impact seems to matter for deflections. Try to hit them straight on on the flattest part you can see and see if it helps?

Unsafe full charge railgun now deflects off front charger legs at essentially point blank and pretty close to perpendicular to the armor plate. I'm going to have to try aiming at the inside of the rear legs from the front, but that's a shot I wouldn't want to ask anyone with a controller to have to make.

It might be legit best to just have 2-3 people bring the EAT calldown, since that still reliably strips front leg armor in one shot and does not require the backpack. Hope you don't miss!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Retro42 posted:

It's great. The natural events they've added so far are very much worthy of paying attention to.

Senator talk: Two things. One - Give me a speed loader variant, I don't care if I waste ammo, I want it. Two - It is a perfect pairing for the smg or other lower damage/high rof primary. Only six rounds sure, but those six rounds do the work.

Yeah, that’s exactly how I use it, my primary is the defender SMG

And I frankly think they should just buff the reload speed so that it’s 33 to 50% faster

It’s the only secondary where you are basically completely out of luck if you fire all six rounds, and the damage that it does isn’t high enough per cylinder to warrant the reload time

I think it needs some kind of balancing relative to the other side arms, it’s a premium item that’s probably worse than the other options other than stylistically. It does not do enough damage to justify the fact that when you are out of your first six shots, you’re done using that gun for the fight.

Worf fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 6, 2024

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Wait, wait, wait, I'd heard about 'mechs being added, but they're adding tanks, too?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Worf posted:

Yeah, that’s exactly how I use it, my primary is the defender SMG

And I frankly think they should just buff the reload speed so that it’s 33 to 50% faster

It’s the only secondary where you are basically completely out of luck if you fire all six rounds, and the damage that it does isn’t high enough per cylinder to warrant the reload time

I think it needs some kind of balancing relative to the other side arms, it’s a premium item that’s probably worse than the other options other than stylistically. It does not do enough damage to justify the fact that when you are out of your first six shots, you’re done using that gun for the fight.

I'd be ok with that change for sure. The reload animations are soooo slept on in this game btw. Watching my helldiver thumb in rounds while staring down a swarm is just glorious. Can't forget the twirl from the holster of course.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

direct hits only. and only with a RR, EAT, and Railgun
okay, good to know. definitely not easy for me, i do not aim accurately at all when poo poo is going down, but hopefully practice will make better

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Just picked this up last night and game seems fun.

I'm considering the DLC so I can get the premium Warbond: Does it time out on a seasonal-like rotation, or will that Warbond remain available until I've finished it?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

whole lotta this patch doomposting is acting like they're never going to do another patch and nothing else that needs a buff will ever be addressed. I would have liked to have seen the counter sniper included in this patch and I still want to see them change their approach to antitank weapons from "the first step of the tax form you must fill out to kill tanks" in HD2 back to "just kill tanks, thanks" from HD1 but they buffed a good four or five things I was hoping to see touched up. want to see if that 380 artillery lives up to the fantasy on a heavy bug nest now.

DrHammond posted:

I'm considering the DLC so I can get the premium Warbond: Does it time out on a seasonal-like rotation, or will that Warbond remain available until I've finished it?

It will never time out and you don't need to buy it now, there is no rotation for warbonds. just don't buy the premium warbond with super credits and then buy the game's deluxe edition that includes the warbond.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Waffle House posted:

Wait, wait, wait, I'd heard about 'mechs being added, but they're adding tanks, too?

In addition to mechs they're also adding a 3 person buggy and 4 person APC.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

DrHammond posted:

All warbonds are permanent.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Owl Inspector posted:

whole lotta this patch doomposting is acting like they're never going to do another patch and nothing else that needs a buff will ever be addressed. I would have liked to have seen the counter sniper included in this patch and I still want to see them change their approach to antitank weapons from "the first step of the tax form you must fill out to kill tanks" in HD2 back to "just kill tanks, thanks" from HD1 but they buffed a good four or five things I was hoping to see touched up. want to see if that 380 artillery lives up to the fantasy on a heavy bug nest now.

I know it's purely anecdotal, but got one good game in with the 120mm today. Called in on a stalker nest and on a light. Killed them both without anything else needed. And with the ship upgrade it's something like 6+(lasted long enough I had to focus on bugs instead of counting) volleys now? It's waaaaay better.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Do we know if new warbonds will also need supercreds to unlock

Or maybe there will be separate Premium and Regular warbonds again?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'd prefer it if a MG can affect armor at every level, at first bouncing off, then punching through it the more you hit (if you hit at the right angle).

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

skaianDestiny posted:

In addition to mechs they're also adding a 3 person buggy and 4 person APC.

Awesome. If they're adding 8-player action like I hear as well, this is gonna be a loving awesome game for years to come.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

jokes posted:

I'd prefer it if a MG can affect armor at every level, at first bouncing off, then punching through it the more you hit (if you hit at the right angle).

there is a heavy MG in the pipeline iirc, im hoping that is something it can do.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

While the player base has been focused on the bugs the bots have taken another planet on the path towards Cyberstan. :allears: Oh boy I can't wait for this to get crazy.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Section Z posted:

Hmm, one gun only kills me for obvious 'something right in front of me' reasons and remains for me to pick up later with a mountain of ammo. The other gun now needs the tryhard suicide mode calling you a Call of Duty lover if you don't risk killing yourself to mildly dent something with multiple shots under pressure...
Genuinely, railgun unsafe mode isn't hard to time at all. You have a really long period before it blows up.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Waffle House posted:

Awesome. If they're adding 8-player action like I hear as well, this is gonna be a loving awesome game for years to come.

Here's hoping they have a warthog-style 3-person vehicle so you have two of those running around and two people doing normal objectives

The inclusion of vehicles and potentially more faction(s) really does make me think this game is going to be one of my go-tos for, like, ever

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

jokes posted:

They need to add a loving sword and a motorbike
Also allow us to use these two together so you can do motorized cavalry charges :getin:

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Waffle House posted:

Where did you hear they are adding 8 player matches?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

explosivo posted:

If you still drop the shield every time you get knocked over it's still probably not going to be ideal over a ton of other backpack slots.

I hope it gets buffed, I love being a shield carrier in these kinds of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Waffle House posted:

If they're adding 8-player action like I hear as well...
Where did you hear that? It's something huge I'm hoping for.