Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

my dad posted:

It was never a TVTropes reference.

I think he meant that TVTropes used that panel as a reference for the article on "lampshading the joke"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

my dad posted:

It was never a TVTropes reference.
Having flashbacks to Rich needing to explain in a Q&A that "Evil will always triumph because good is dumb" is a reference to Space Balls.

NihilCredo posted:

I think he meant that TVTropes used that panel as a reference for the article on "lampshading the joke"
Probably.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

Went through the effort of digging this back up again.

Despite that having reread the entire comic multiple times. This is the ONLY version of that I have been able to get through.

Admittedly part of that after the first is because how much I ended up disliking Celia after the thieves guild bit.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

girl dick energy posted:

Went through the effort of digging this back up again.

Your honor, League of Legends.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

NihilCredo posted:

Correct.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Schwarzwald posted:

Your honor, League of Legends.

Death.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I remember catching up to the comic when Vaarsuvius was freeing O-Chul. I went to check and that was 15 years ago :shepface:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I've been aware of OOTS since sometime in the first book but nothing there grabbed my attention. Someone linked to #322 at some point, and reading forward from there I was hooked. The latest comic at that point was #607 or so.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I believe I first found OotS through the 8-Bit Theater guest strip he did, and have been following it ever since. As for when I first started posting this thread (I'm pretty sure I lurked for a while before joining in on the discussion):

W.T. Fits posted:

My guess is that he's been optimized as a purely combat-focused character, and therefore didn't bother with maxing his ranks in Search since it wouldn't have been relevant for his build. Or he traded out Trapfinding for some alternate class feature, so he can't even search for traps even if he had ranks in Search.

This was back during Blood Runs in the Family, when they had the dominated kobold search the pyramid's steps for traps.

Huh, that was really twelve years ago? Feels almost like yesterday. :allears:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I don't remember when I started reading, but I believe I caught up to current somewhere in Blood Runs in the Family. I first posted in the thread back in 2014, after #938.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I think the very first strip I saw might have been #67, the one where Nale falls off the bridge he broke and is hanging by his fingertips. So I didn't have a lot of catching up to do :).

I remember clicking on OotS because it was always hanging out near the top of that one webcomic popularity ranking site. Hadn't really played any DnD at the time, though when I went to university my best friend I made there was a huge fan and he introduced me to DnD and other tabletop RPG systems.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

The first strip I saw was Elan+Thog in prison (#387), but the not-Nale/nail/etc speech was such a bunch of gibberish to me at the time, that I bounced off it. I think I came back to the comic during the between-book hiatus after Don't Split The Party.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

RL friends pointed me to this strip and that was def sometime in the mid-oughts. I remember someone asking me if I'd gotten up to the jokes about Belkar's lead sheet yet.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I think I just saw this thread and hopped on when V was busy making some very poor decisions while having a sick haircut.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

I usually stay out of the first strip conversation, because I can never really remember. But this morning I epiphanated, and realized that most of the mid-aughts webcomics I follow were found from the GitP forums, so this comic recommendation had to come from somewhere else, and there was only one place that made sense: The guest comic Rich did for 8-bit Theater. Since that was in the archive but not deep in the archive at the time, I am pretty sure I started reading OotS around strip 200.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

My first strip was during the thumb incident so it's burned into my brain.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.
I started reading somewhere in the early 300s but I don't remember exactly when. They hadn't left Azure City yet.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Funnily enough, the newest strip when I started reading was 482, Leaving Azure City (got updated midway).
That was 17 years ago? sheesh.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
When I started reading people were still debating Miko's alignment lol

EDIT: just checked and my very first post itt is from 2007 and is about erfworld being bad, double lol

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Wolfsheim posted:

Insert joke here about how people are still debating it.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Wolfsheim posted:

EDIT: just checked and my very first post itt is from 2007 and is about erfworld being bad, double lol

Got to be gratifying to see both of these arguments definitively and unambiguously settled in the years since.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I used to really like Miko and was sad she didn't join the party. These days I get why she was so lovely and why she had to end up like she did narrative wise, but still kind of wish she had joined the party just to see her go through character development kicking and screaming.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

isasphere posted:

I used to really like Miko and was sad she didn't join the party. These days I get why she was so lovely and why she had to end up like she did narrative wise, but still kind of wish she had joined the party just to see her go through character development kicking and screaming.

Then again, perhaps not. Redemption is a rare and special thing, after all. It is not for everyone.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think I started reading with maybe the strip where language-impaired Haley was unwittingly being romanced by Nale...? Somewhere around the Azure City events, not long before my low-effort OP made about when Miko killed Shojo.

Now, why did you start reading? Can you remember? I can't. It was probably linked in a general webcomics thread here on the forums for me...?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, there was a minute in the early 2000’s where I went down a webcomics rabbit hole and started reading everything from Questionable Content and Something Positive (cringeworthy but not actively offensive) to Dominic Deegan and Ctrl-Alt-Del (big oof on both counts). This remains the lone survivor of those days.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Thaddius the Large posted:

Yeah, there was a minute in the early 2000’s where I went down a webcomics rabbit hole and started reading everything from Questionable Content and Something Positive (cringeworthy but not actively offensive) to Dominic Deegan and Ctrl-Alt-Del (big oof on both counts). This remains the lone survivor of those days.

Yeah same though never Deegan

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I started reading in 08 because I was a college freshman and was kinda late getting into webcomics so I was binging a whole bunch like 8-Bit Theatre, Penny Arcade etc and OotS was just one of those.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

The comic was recommended to me because I used to draw dumb little stick figures on chalkboards in high school, and somebody said hey there's a webcomic where it's all stick figures. At the time I was aware of D&D but mostly understood that it was a web comic tied to nerdy game mechanics like all the other stuff out there at the time. I think by the time I caught up, Thog had just killed the Earth elemental in the first dungeon. I read off and on ever since, but really started checking updates regularly when I joined SA.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

SuperKlaus posted:

I think I started reading with maybe the strip where language-impaired Haley was unwittingly being romanced by Nale...? Somewhere around the Azure City events, not long before my low-effort OP made about when Miko killed Shojo.

Now, why did you start reading? Can you remember? I can't. It was probably linked in a general webcomics thread here on the forums for me...?

I used to read like dozens if not hundreds of webcomics and I picked it up along the way. I've read most things people have heard of, even garbage like Least I Could Do.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SuperKlaus posted:

A link from Nodwick

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
For me I think it very well may have been this thread or a precursor. I was in a bad headspace in September 2007 leaving a job I wasn’t thrilled by to move back home across country to move in with my fiancé and playing out my last two weeks at the job. With little on my plate I binged OOTS for most of the day. Then I went with an RSS feed of the site for updates versus checking it every day. Then it dawned on me that goons here would post updates so I didn’t bring over that feed when I swapped computers.

Now I just kind of lurk this thread and read as they come. My desire for ritualistic posts questioning Rich’s health has waned over the years. But so has my memory- what were the KS bonus stories? Cliffport PD, Ochuul and Dim Sun??

I know I read Ochuul’s backstory with how the sapphire guild was uhh not kind to Goblins. But not sure I read the rest or if they even exist.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I found OOTS when Erfworld was at the same site, then realized I liked OOTS better

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The X-man cometh posted:

I found OOTS when Erfworld was at the same site, then realized I liked OOTS better

I still have good memories of Erfworld, really homes in on what I like about Isekai. I petered off once it transitioned to splitting between text updates and art, which is understandable why they'd do that but I wasn't in my phase yet where I liked VNs.

If anything in retrospect that seemed like a missed opportunity, albeit this was way before VNs really found their market here. That probably would've let them have the best of both worlds.

S40CheckingAccount
Jan 14, 2024
I started reading because I had/have a near-crippling webcomic addiction that it took boxing up my computer a few years ago to supress, and even know I go to the ones the address of which I can remember. I'm pretty uncritical, so I'll hang on to something forever, just realizing one day that it's been a long time since I worked up the enthusiasm to go look at the thing I like, or think I like.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I used to read a bunch of webcomics out of sheer inertia more than anything but almost universally they reach a point where I just nope out. OotS is like the only one that hasn't reached that point. (and I'm usually pretty strong with Inertia. I read Questionable Content for way longer than I liked it until it became exclusively about robots loving.)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I read a lot of webcomics when I was younger, especially before being able to read manga online was as big as a thing. So when I hit the various hiatus points or points where the webcomic was more or less up to date my interest and engagement waned.

Although there's a few I'm planning on revisiting and seeing where they at, that I had fond memories of and enjoyed but lost track of. I'm just kinda "saving" them for a rainy day.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Although there's a few I'm planning on revisiting and seeing where they at, that I had fond memories of and enjoyed but lost track of. I'm just kinda "saving" them for a rainy day.

You're probably happier now than you would be if you revisited those old webcomics. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ultrafilter posted:

You're probably happier now than you would be if you revisited those old webcomics. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

Eh not really, I revisited a couple and was pleasantly surprised. Some have aged better honestly.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Eh not really, I revisited a couple and was pleasantly surprised. Some have aged better honestly.

Do you have any personal recs of those that aged better?

Edit: For the General Webcomics thread if this would be off-topic here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Post the good webcomics here or we'll have nothing to do but argue about alignment.