Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

fartknocker posted:

Sure they could go lower, they could go 0-17.

History!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

fartknocker posted:

Sure they could go lower, they could go 0-17.

At least they'd have their first round pick for that

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Chris James 2 posted:

At least they'd have their first round pick for that

Through some miscommunications and misunderstandings, they traded it for Coby Bryant.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Intruder posted:

I was clinging to an outside hope he'd want to return home/play with Stroud :smith:

From what I read he was interested but the Texans weren't and are happy with the young guys they have.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Texans have Nico Collins and Tank Dell and plenty of other guys and hey they draft well. I think they are making the right decision on not pursuing him

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1765036742388912413?s=20

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Woof

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

This has to be precursor to a trade, right? What good does having Burns play out a one-year tender next season do for the Panthers?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Grozz Nuy posted:

This has to be precursor to a trade, right? What good does having Burns play out a one-year tender next season do for the Panthers?

Oh yeah, he's definitely getting traded.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Non exclusive. I’m sure they’d love a team to snag him.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
What type of compensation is expected?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1765047355705831698

He just had a real good year. Are the Jags really in that much of a cap crunch?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Wow. Hell get picked up reallllll quick

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

xbilkis posted:

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1765047355705831698

He just had a real good year. Are the Jags really in that much of a cap crunch?

Can these cut players sign before free agency begins? I forget the rules on these things.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Liking all these good CBs hitting free agency.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I think they don’t count toward the free agency comp package, and I think you can immediately sign them

Edit yeah he’s released. That means he’s free to sign with anyone.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This woman lives rent free in my head

https://x.com/avl_mike/status/1765412318911828008?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
we've given back to the city by giving them more opportunities to give us money

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The city and the state of Charlotte

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

I hate them so much :ughh:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Panthers going winless at home next season as part of a 1-15-1 season (The -1 is against the Falcons for NFC South comedy). They will not get the #1 overall pick after trading it in a bizarre failed attempt to get Taylor Swift to perform at the stadium.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fartknocker posted:

Panthers going winless at home next season as part of a 1-15-1 season (The -1 is against the Falcons for NFC South comedy). They will not get the #1 overall pick after trading it in a bizarre failed attempt to get Taylor Swift to perform at the stadium.

I'm here for the deranged pretzel logic that gets them from Bryce Needs Weapons to trading a top 3 pick for Travis Kelce

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Also the free agency thread dropped, for anyone else who only checks the forum index like once a month https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4055682

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Docjowles posted:

I'm here for the deranged pretzel logic that gets them from Bryce Needs Weapons to trading a top 3 pick for Travis Kelce

Tepper doesn’t read the fine print, trades picks for a Travis Kelce bobble head figure.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Docjowles posted:

Also the free agency thread dropped, for anyone else who only checks the forum index like once a month https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4055682

I'm also trying to keep the OP updated but that'll probably come to an end on Saturday when I go on vacation for about a week.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Remember when the Panthers turned down two 1st Round Picks and one 2nd Round Pick for Brian Burns? Pepperidge Farms remembers..

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/uSTADIUM/status/1765442338246033556?s=20

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/03/06/mailbag-free-agency-lions-fields-bears

Good mailbag by Breer.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'm sure there's an obvious instance I'm not thinking of but has a team ever lost the #1 overall pick to a previous year's trade before? I know the Texans gave up what ended up being #3 overall for Tunsil but that's the highest I can think of

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The entire football world has seen Bath too the Jets for what a year now? It's as obvious as his inevitable week 2 injury

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What do I like most about Bryce? (Spouts complete bullshit)

https://x.com/sheena_marie3/status/1765452313269858709?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Intruder posted:

I'm sure there's an obvious instance I'm not thinking of but has a team ever lost the #1 overall pick to a previous year's trade before? I know the Texans gave up what ended up being #3 overall for Tunsil but that's the highest I can think of

it's never happened. Panthers are the first.

Ironically Hurney tried to do it when he offered the Cardinals the Panthers first overall pick in 2011 because he wanted Jimmy Clausen. the cardinals turned it down to draft Dan Williams. The pick they turned down was used to draft Cam Newton.

If the Cardinals had accepted, they'd have had the 1st and 5th pick in the 2011 draft.

At 5, the Cardinals drafted Patrick Peterson, who had the game sealing interception against Cam in week 1.

Anyway the Panthers are and have been loving dogshit shoot me in the face.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 6, 2024

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Not sure if this is a hot take, but I would kind of love Tyler Boyd in free agency. Seems like the type of reasonably priced, highish floor player you should target. Go get him and trade for Cortland Sutton or something.

Bakhtiari, OTOH? Stay the gently caress away.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Professor Funk posted:

Not sure if this is a hot take, but I would kind of love Tyler Boyd in free agency. Seems like the type of reasonably priced, highish floor player you should target. Go get him and trade for Cortland Sutton or something.

Id agree but drat he had some inopportune drops all last year for the Bengals. After being really surehanded for his whole career.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Professor Funk posted:

Do you really think they are going to do Boyd plus another one? It would be Boyd plus their shitbrained wishful thinking that A A Ron coming back will make Lazard good again.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Do you really think they are going to do Boyd plus another one? It would be Boyd plus their shitbrained wishful thinking that A A Ron coming back will make Lazard good again.

It's a post about what I would do, not what I think the team will do. If they're going to really try to make Lazard a functional WR3, then, yeah, they should probably chase a bigger fish to be WR2. Not sure who that is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
TBH Sutton and Boyd are both just guys and don't really move the needle imo.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

TBH Sutton and Boyd are both just guys and don't really move the needle imo.

I think having functional, competent guys around GW---even if they're not stars---would move the needle a lot more than you think.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

I think having functional, competent guys around GW---even if they're not stars---would move the needle a lot more than you think.

for 13 million a year?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

for 13 million a year?

For Sutton? Sure. I think that's good business if you can get him for a mid or late-rounder. His contract has two years left at reasonable cap hits (which aligns well with the Rodgers window) and his skillset with mesh well with Wilson. I'd rather pay him and, I dunno, Boyd or Curtis Samuel like $20 million a year than pay Calvin Ridley $25 million a year or whatever stupid deal he's going to get.

What are the needle-moving options you won't be mad about?

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 6, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I'm just curious to see what happens with the Chiefs at WR. Whatever they do, other teams will somewhat follow. Because if the Chiefs decide to actually get talent around Mahomes besides Rashee Rice, uh oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I'm just curious to see what happens with the Chiefs at WR. Whatever they do, other teams will somewhat follow. Because if the Chiefs decide to actually get talent around Mahomes besides Rashee Rice, uh oh.

What's the worst that could happen, they win another Super Bowl?