Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Another day working at the Loom. Everybody keeps asking if they can gently caress the robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Kaysette posted:

not that kind of game

drat did not expect that for some reason lmao! thank you for that

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There were a few druid ones that added landslide to a bunch of abilities as well, but I don't know if they're still there.

I've been using the pulverize shockwave aspect. Pulverize was starting to feel kinda anemic around ~50 before I got that, so it's been pretty good. It's one of those aspects that you can only find on items in the wild or gambling like the gravitational aspect (and I think ancestral charge). I guess those are a premium tier of aspects?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have been running fire sorcerer and last week got a spear of Lycander from Duriel. It's fun, more uniques should just be balls to the wall like this. Last season I got the Uber 1h sword that buffs core skills, and this is better.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Tiny Timbs posted:

thinking about Dink X Diablo ARPG crossover

drat, Dink Smallwood memories suddenly unlocked.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Season track complete. Only question is if I want to come back to survive an hour of Lilith to get 100% completion for what I'm guessing is a secret title?

I got lucky wit Duriel, in that I had mats once I hit level 100 to run him 9 times and I got every non-uber unique I needed for my endgame build. Only things my character is missing is 925/max level rolls on all the gear, finishing glyphs to 21 and the Uber uniques and rare supporting stone drops, and I'm not going to go grind tiny drop rates (especially with no reason to).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The unique tuning stones are the biggest design whiff of the season

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The unique tuning stones are the biggest design whiff of the season

I tell you what, even if they were necessary, I really hate running the Malphas dungeon.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Name Change posted:

I tell you what, even if they were necessary, I really hate running the Malphas dungeon.

It's fine with people. Good thing there's matchmaking, right?

...right?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

MJBuddy posted:

Season track complete. Only question is if I want to come back to survive an hour of Lilith to get 100% completion for what I'm guessing is a secret title?

I got lucky wit Duriel, in that I had mats once I hit level 100 to run him 9 times and I got every non-uber unique I needed for my endgame build. Only things my character is missing is 925/max level rolls on all the gear, finishing glyphs to 21 and the Uber uniques and rare supporting stone drops, and I'm not going to go grind tiny drop rates (especially with no reason to).

I managed to get Lilith this season with rapid fire rogue. The pain in the rear end is avoiding the one shot fire balls. Basically have to have greater than 150 movement speed

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

MrMidnight posted:

I managed to get Lilith this season with rapid fire rogue. The pain in the rear end is avoiding the one shot fire balls. Basically have to have greater than 150 movement speed

I can actually apparently take on hit from them sometimes? I think. Yeah I got into phase 2 comfortably, saw the fireballs and died and then decided to do something else. I think it's doable, but I don't really want to do it.

Ditto to the Malphas loom vault. All the complaining in the world about boss items grind but I just hate that dungeon. I should be able to dump like 50 pearls to guarantee a drop or something

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Holy moly is my frost sorcerer fun as gently caress but the paragon boards underwhelm me. None of them seem like great/exciting adds or really seem to let me lean into my build very well. Most enemies I hit are not Chilled but I can get like +200% damage to Chilled enemies! I think there is one cluster of "+cold damage" across all 8 boards while in comparison Barbs can get + just about anything in multiple places

edit: Oh, one of the generalist boards has +x% "non-physical" damage.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 4, 2024

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Holy moly is my frost sorcerer fun as gently caress but the paragon boards underwhelm me. None of them seem like great/exciting adds or really seem to let me lean into my build very well. Most enemies I hit are not Chilled but I can get like +200% damage to Chilled enemies! I think there is one cluster of "+cold damage" across all 8 boards while in comparison Barbs can get + just about anything in multiple places

NON-PHYSICAL is good for Tal Rasha rings, at least.

I am going full fire through the fire basic enchantment and Fireball (w/enchantment). It is not crazy op like icicle god but I enjoy burning things. Occasionally I add lightning for crit.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Blizzard chills though I thought?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Name Change posted:

NON-PHYSICAL is good for Tal Rasha rings, at least.

I am going full fire through the fire basic enchantment and Fireball (w/enchantment). It is not crazy op like icicle god but I enjoy burning things. Occasionally I add lightning for crit.
Yeah I am using Tal Rashas and Mothers Embrace for my rings right now. I'm able to cast Ice Shards *nearly* on cooldown and stay above 100 mana to keep Edgemasters and Elementalists aspects both active; with the piercing aspect its enough to easily clear crowds I dont wipe out with Teleport => Frost Nova. I walked over Elias at level 63 like he wasnt there. Now, in WT4 everything in my path dies horrible deaths to getting punctured by ice. I'm not sure if I should be using Tal Rashas if I am only doing ice damage but its better than most other aspects I have available anyway. I only have one "Conceited" aspect (+~20% x damage with a barrier up) otherwise I might replace it with that, I guess?

Mustached Demon posted:

Blizzard chills though I thought?
I dont use Blizzard because there is no need for it with how effective the build is. With its casting cost discount upgrade it miiiiight be better than having another skill with a cooldown (to trigger things require having a barrier up) but I'm so drat face-wrecky without it that I havent sweated it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 5, 2024

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kind of weird that ice shards doesn't chill.

I use a blizzard build with the aspect where ice spikes shoot out of the blizzard. Very effective in everything.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah I agree. But I have a hard time worrying when stuff is just dead anyway. I should probably try keeping Blizzard as an option so I can try to chill tougher stuff since I might need that in NMDs, once I start running them.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

That's a good idea. Last time I played ice shards it fell off pretty hard once you get past the "everything just dies" phase of the game

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just saw that the "Gauntlet" supposedly launched yesterday, but apparently everyone here is just as excited about it as me.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

mcbexx posted:

Just saw that the "Gauntlet" supposedly launched yesterday, but apparently everyone here is just as excited about it as me.

I noticed there was a patch downloading, but since xbox apparently doesn't show patch notes I did not give a poo poo

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Since the patch, every time I open the game on PS5 it makes me set my preferences and watch the opening cinematic again.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My friend said he tried the gauntlet and it was boring and a waste of time with bad rewards. Not sure why he needed to try it for himself. I think Blizzard has abundantly clear the content was going to be bad and that nobody should play it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mcbexx posted:

It’s exactly what people expected it to be. You can get a mount reward for getting into the top 100 for your class. Good luck beating out the streamers and NEETs.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s exactly what people expected it to be. You can get a mount reward for getting into the top 100 for your class. Good luck beating out the streamers and NEETs.

Yer yanking my chain right? No multiple reward pools for different skills and level of engagement? Does the D4 team like, actively reject all industry wisdom, genre conventions.. hell, all well-meaning advice?

Try the Gauntlet - Get a reward.
Try the Gauntlet 5 times - Get a reward, make this and every other option clearly visible.
Try the Gauntlet 15, 30, 50, 75, 100 times - Get a reward.
Place on the Leaderboards - Get a reward.
Beat your Personal Best - Get a reward.
Top 1000, 500, 100, 50, 1 - .. You get the idea.
Multiplied By Per Class.

Mix of cosmetics, practical single player character rewards(open this cache to drop a random legendary, w/e), paragon glyph xp and cross-account utility bux.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There’s also caches with an ancestral legendary. Doesn’t seem to be worth much.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Doomykins posted:

Yer yanking my chain right? No multiple reward pools for different skills and level of engagement? Does the D4 team like, actively reject all industry wisdom, genre conventions.. hell, all well-meaning advice?

Try the Gauntlet 5 times - Get a reward, make this and every other option clearly visible.
Multiplied By Per Class.

Mix of cosmetics, practical single player character rewards(open this cache to drop a random legendary, w/e), paragon glyph xp and cross-account utility bux.

Yeah but that cuts into profits so

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

bamhand posted:

My friend said he tried the gauntlet and it was boring and a waste of time with bad rewards. Not sure why he needed to try it for himself. I think Blizzard has abundantly clear the content was going to be bad and that nobody should play it.

Same but Reddit

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Multiplied By Per Class.

wow so you just want to spoil Diablo 4 players with a bunch of handouts huh

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Doomykins posted:

Multiplied By Per Class.

you're expecting a lot from a "team" who had 6 months to put together 1 map for a leaderboard race and was still 2 months late at doing that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Doomykins posted:

Multiplied By Per Class.

They already did this (tiny rewards for doing a boring thing over and over again 100 times). It's called the Season's Journey and everyone hates it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Season journey rewards are comically bad so imagine my idea uses good rewards instead.

New for Award-Winning(Series Sequel) Diablo 4 Expansion: Good Loot!!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Reach some arbitrary milestone in played the game a lot, 10x Helltide Currency drop. Oh sweet I can go juggle some enchants around and try a new build.

Sniveling Weaselman in Blizzard Labcoat: Actually the numbers show that if we force the player to extend their time spent with the game across the additional ten helltides they could have run instead we will

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa x 100

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Boinks posted:

Since the patch, every time I open the game on PS5 it makes me set my preferences and watch the opening cinematic again.

don't forget the digitized voice telling you to press any button to begin

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The most realistic explanation for the gauntlet dev time and results is a team that can’t agree on what they want so they spend a lot of time experimenting and disagreeing and end up with the lowest common demoninator (NMDs which already exist, and a leaderboard cause thats one thing they agreed on)

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Just a reminder for WoW vets: Torghast.

They just don't know how to do this and make it meaningful, fun, and rewarding because they are so completely loving terrified of the game becoming "unbalanced."

Can't be unbalanced when you're loving dead! Checkmate!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Torghast was actually a lot of fun for pushing solo play limits if you didn't roll a (unfun, weak)broken for the first two patches class, lol. It wasn't so fun it outlasted its length as a weekly grind or the super long challenge run being done once, ever, maybe, for people like me that gelled with it but a lot of the classes let you break the traditional power structure sublimely.

this post written by Death Knight gang

The thing about the Gauntlet is it should be a fun new thing to do! Hey, what do you passively do when you farm a boss in Diablo 2? Try to clear the map faster, learn the subtle variations and reliable tics in the map tileset and map generation, have a build or approach that can clear trash quickly, move quickly and blow up elites/bosses! Yeah sure, the answer was eventually "Sorceress/Teleport Rune Word" but hey, people did that activity hundreds or thousands of times. Barb had Leap and Paladin had Go Fast, etc.. you didn't have to optimize it to the point of Sorc only.

I even like the self improvement gameplay aspect. Can I get a better time? Shave some seconds off? Greater Rifts had that innately! They also paired it with GR specific loot as well as the generalized boss loot.

Speaking of things D3 had, that Season Journey was popular and I regret the monkey paw wish I made thinking it was too much to get a full free set every season. Turns out they can make things worse after all!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I remember Torthast was fun as a Druid bear Because you could get the tank multipliers and then do all kinds of wacky poo poo in caster and cat form. And stealth

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I feel like Blizzard fixated entirely too hard on the feedback of "leaderboards!" with the gauntlet. What people wanted was some sort of actual endgame with a leaderboard aspect. Something that could make Number continue to Go Up after you had already maxxed out all of the other avenues in the base game.

People wanted Greater Rifts and, in their zeal to continue ignoring D3, they instead reinvented Challenge Rifts for some reason. Whee.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Greater rifts are an xpack addition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This gauntlet implementation is another thing that suggests no one on the D4 team actually played D3 or any ARPG until they were actually assigned to this project and then were made to go back and play the previous Diablo games to figure out what they were about.

We have seen so many games fail because decisions were made based on greed, time constraints, resource constraints, scope creep, unrealistic expectations, or incompetence, but this is the first time I've seen something fail because only a few of those involved had any familiarity with what they were trying to create.

It would be like if you put me in charge of designing a golf course from scratch, and because the closest I've ever come to golf is mini-golf, you got me a 7 day pass to play a few rounds at a golf course so I could get some idea of what I should be making. Sure I'll come up with some combination of bunkers, fairway, rough and putting green 18 times, and it would probably be nicely manicured, but I'll create an absolute mess that needs to be bulldozed, and that is what we have here.

Last Epoch is a game that I have some issues with - 1.0 only lasted about a week for me before it got stale, but I could never say that those devs don't understand the genre they are working in.